Chasing The Silent Disco

njaloha

Hey has anybody else experienced that whacky phenomenon called the Silent Disco? Most hysterical thing we've done in years. Did it twice on Infinity 10-night Dutch Antilles cruise and wondering if it's on other ships!!

All ages participated and I don't know what was funnier, watching people dance to no apparent music or listening to them sing WAY off key at the tops of their lungs. I do know that I haven't danced that much in ages. What a joy to see my DH dance and dance on his one year old knees

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, we experienced Silent Disco twice this year, on the Infinity and the Solstice. DW and I usually don't participate in this kind of thing......but we had a blast. This activity is a winner! Evidently, Silent Disco was introduced on RCCL a couple of years ago and it was so popular they introduced into Celebrity last year. Everyone participates from 9 to 90. A very fun evening.

Attending the Silent Disco is a must, even if you don't want to dance (but you will want to dance). People watching is the most entertainment you will ever see! It can get very crowded so come early or come later to get headsets or even a place to sit! On one occasion the dancing spilled over to one deck above and one deck below around the Atrium. Sometimes the bartenders and production show dancers participate and it can get wild and crazy!

Try it, you will like it!

Okay, I'll bite...what's the Silent Disco?

Did I miss it on Solstice a couple of months ago?

Will I find it on Reflection next March?

Thanks!

Susan

We did it a few times on Reflection on our B2B just a week ago. It's great fun - they held it in Cellar Masters on Reflection.

Everyone entering is given earphones which play music on 3 different channels - in our case it was 50s/60s, 70s/80s and whatever the DJ was playing. You can only hear the music on the earphones so without earphones the room is silent, just a lot of bodies dancing along - and some to different music to others.

The funniest thing is when you first enter and see everyone dancing but can't hear anything - apart from those few people singing along to whatever they're listening to - and always out of tune :D

It was one night on Constellation last August out of Barcelona.

Great Fun.

People coming up to you and dancing if you have the same channel on (denoted by LED color on the headphone) The color changes depending on which channel you are listening to.

Three Channels - the music selections were selected by the DJ.

It was so popular it could of occurred every night, yet only offered once.

Okay, I'll bite...what's the Silent Disco?

Did I miss it on Solstice a couple of months ago?

Will I find it on Reflection next March?

Thanks!

Susan

We were on the Solstice in September, Vancouver to Hawai'i. The Silent disco was held in Quasar on two sea nights during that 11 day voyage. Time and location was announced in the Daily Bulletin.

You may or may not find it on the Reflection. It depends on the length of the voyage and how port intensive your cruise is. Usually not held on port days. Usually starts about 9 or 10pm and lasts til about midnight.

On the Infinity it was held at the Martini Bar Location twice during our 10-night cruise. The dancing spilled across the 'atrium' over towards the elevators and all around that area of the deck.

We noticed that most of the headsets were blue (Rock and Roll Classics) early on (started at 9:30) but as the night wore on (around 11pm), the headsets turned predominately green (recent tunes) as the older crowd headed to cabins for the night ;). We also had red which was classified as 'World' and had a Latin flavor.

I liked the open public location of this activity. People walking from anywhere to anywhere else passed through. Some even went up to Deck 5 to dance or came out of Rendezvous to find out what was going on. Imagine coming out of a rest room to hear loud voices screaming "I'm a believer!!! " at the tops of their lungs.

I'll be sure to check the dailies on the Silhouette for this event. :cool:

Edited by njaloha
additional info

It was on Equinox on the Oct. 3 Italy/Greek Isles Cruise. In the entertainment court on 4 outside Quasar. Had a blast.

YES! That's where it needs to be so everybody not participating can see what's happening. That's part of the fun.:D:D:D:D:D

Did it twice on the Reflection on an 11N med cruise. It was held in cellar Masters both times. It was such a hit, so much fun! Looks weird at first but once you get the headphones on ... you understand.

Hope they keep doing this as it was a blast!

We experienced the silent disco three times on Equinox this past August/September. It was so much fun. The best part is that there were three different "stations" on the headphones so the people next to you are probably listening and dancing to something different than you.

We were on the Summit Nov 5-12 and had a fantastic cruise. They had silent disco at the Martini Bar mid-week for about an hour and a bit, and then again later in the week in the Revelations Lounge from about 11:00 to 1:00. SO MUCH FUN...A MUST DO!!!