Re-newal of passports...

one9marine

I also just sent my renewal, mine expires next July but we are going to Alaska at the end of May out of Vancouver and coming back again through Canada. For me it is not worth the worry about getting it in time or not I will need it renewed anyway now works for me.

I will be glad to have it in 2 weeks but if it takes 5 that is OK too then I need to find out how to update my KTN, but again I will have time to call and find out.

You can update the passport info through your GOES account. I don't think your KTN will change, they just need the new passport info.

I need to find out how to update my KTN, but again I will have time to call and find out.

You can update the passport info through your GOES account. I don't think your KTN will change, they just need the new passport info.

Correct. Your KTN won't change, but you'll have to update your account with your new passport number, which WILL change when it is renewed. I don't know about other programs but with Global Entry you can log in to your account on the GOES site and update online with your new passport number.

It also helps if you remember to cross your t's and dot your i's. Sent ours in a couple of years ago and received mine back about 2 weeks later. Then I received DH's application back with his check which I had forgotten to have him sign. Had to go thru the process again so took almost 6 weeks for his due to my error.

Why the new regulations on eyeglasses and hair?

Just renewed our passports. Took about 3 weeks for the new ones to arrive and another 2 weeks for the old ones. Was a little concerned about not getting the old ones with the new ones as I have a 10 yr. visa for China.

Called and was informed that they now send the old ones by themselves later for security reasons.

An expired passport goes through more processing than a true renewal...that would account for the time difference.

I have a June Alaska trip and my passport expires in August....so I'll be sending my renewal in January or February... they frown upon passports that are expiring within 6 months ... good rule of thumb to send it out before then

They frown, LOL. They may remind you of expiration soon, but that's the extent of it.

You waste 6 months you paid for by sending in so early

Just an FYI.....if you need your passport renewed anytime in 2017 it is recommended you do it very early in the year or even now. We were recently told by a government official that the number of passports expiring in 2017 was five times the usual number as all of the new passport regulations went into effect 10 years ago and people were required to have one for things they previously didn't need one for.

So he recommended renewing very early as they are expecting the wait times to possibly be up to 3 months.

My mom sent hers last month and it only took two weeks so we are glad she got it taken care of now.

We heard the same thing, so we sent ours in on November 7. They were set to expire a few weeks after our April cruise but we didn't want to take a chance with potential issues of cutting it so close.

They've already cashed the checks. In my experience them arrive about a week after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Nope...US frowns on it.... you can use it, but rather not have US customs decide to be an annoyance :) We did have some issues on last Alaska trip and my GF passport was within 4 months

Why in the heck does the USA need to be concerned about a US citizen entering the country with less than six months remaining on their passport? YOU DON'T NEED A VISA TO ENTER YOUR OWN COUNTRY! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

That's the "reason" for requiring six months on your passport's expiration date for a very few countries -- if they issue you a six-month tourist visa, they want to make sure your passport will still be valid when it's time to leave their country.

If you live there, you don't need a visa, so the six months doesn't apply.

Why in the heck does the USA need to be concerned about a US citizen entering the country with less than six months remaining on their passport? YOU DON'T NEED A VISA TO ENTER YOUR OWN COUNTRY! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

How long have you lived in US? I believe it is called government bureaucracy.

Washington at work.

How long have you lived in US? I believe it is called government bureaucracy.

Washington at work.

But it's not true. So it was a weird customs agent or there was a misunderstanding of what was being said.

They don't care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow we got an amazing turn around on our renewal. Sent it in on Nov 14th and got them back on the 23rd!!

We paid extra for the expedited processing and overnight shipping. But it was worth not taking the risk of it not coming back before our next cruise.

We renewed ours in October, even though they weren't expiring until March--better safe than sorry on the 6 month window. We cruise in December. The new rules on smiling, hair behind ears, etc. make the photos look even worse than normal! Or maybe it's because we are 10 years older:)

It took 2 and 1/2 weeks, non expedited. Not bad, considering mail gets to us more slowly than if we lived in a city. The old passports came back a few days later.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser

But it's not true. So it was a weird customs agent or there was a misunderstanding of what was being said.

They don't care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Individual agents can be weird. My sister has Global Entry which is supposed to expedite entry back into the U.S. but last time she had an agent who questioned her about why she had Global Entry, how often she travels internationally, etc. It took her longer to get though the re-entry process than my mother and another traveling companion who did not have Global Entry.

Individual agents can be weird. My sister has Global Entry which is supposed to expedite entry back into the U.S. but last time she had an agent who questioned her about why she had Global Entry, how often she travels internationally, etc. It took her longer to get though the re-entry process than my mother and another traveling companion who did not have Global Entry.

Really weird. Defeats the purpose of GE. That agent's discretion turning into abuse.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A couple weeks ago, we went to get our passports renewed. Up here, in the north woods, the only convenient place to do that, is the post office. We completed as much of the forms as we could online and printed them out to take along. The postal person took our pictures, helped us complete the needed information and assembled them into separate envelopes, along with our current passports, and sent them in.

The packets were sent to different facilities. Today, I got a letter from the facility that mine was sent to, saying they need more information. Seems my packet contained DW's passport. This means, of course, that her packet will have my passport in it. Yikes! Hopefully this will get straightened out by the time we sail in Feb.

We heard the same thing, so we sent ours in on November 7. They were set to expire a few weeks after our April cruise but we didn't want to take a chance with potential issues of cutting it so close.

They've already cashed the checks. In my experience them arrive about a week after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our passports both arrived yesterday, Nov. 25. About 2 1/2 week turnaround