Upcharge in MDR

ep1987

I would be OK with those items as options, as long as they are items that aren't available elsewhere. I would not like to see pay items replace usual type items in the MDR because the quality is already so-so there compared to previously. I don't want to feel like I have to pay extra to get a decent meal. I am fine with the option to pay extra if I want something special.

I totally agree; If you can find another cruise line that meets your expectations, I say go for it. That is what life is all about...choices! Every choice has a consequence and if it meets yours...yay[emoji844]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Perhaps I should have inserted some "smiley faces" in the content of my post. There was a relatively light thread about Mr and Mrs Doorschlammer and another on the music that I enjoyed. But I do think it's a bit weird about the MDR upcharge. Like I said in my post I know we'll have a great cruise. I'm a light hearted person whose intent was not to offend the regulars.

That was my first reaction when this thread started. But then I saw the special items on the menu posted. I like the idea! I could upgrade my entree occasionally right there in the MDR, no need to do the whole speciality dining thing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Can't agree with you on this.... if I want a 'special' meal I also would like a special location, which the specialty restaurants provide. If one orders a filet, would the other parts of the meal change from MDR class or would you receive the upgraded sides, etc. Also the room itself is smaller, quieter, nicer to be in to enjoy that 'special' dinner you are paying extra for. JMHO.

Can't agree with you on this.... if I want a 'special' meal I also would like a special location, which the specialty restaurants provide. If one orders a filet, would the other parts of the meal change from MDR class or would you receive the upgraded sides, etc. Also the room itself is smaller, quieter, nicer to be in to enjoy that 'special' dinner you are paying extra for. JMHO.

I think the person was saying it is nice to get a 'special steak' for $20 versus a Specialty restaurant for $45. Or $90 for DW and DH when just DH wants the upcharge item. Assuming the steak is similar to those served in Specialty. I was averse to an upcharge in MDR but now think this point is valid.

Edited by Tedferg

15 years ago Celebrity used to be our go to cruise line but the last few years have seen a downward spiral. Now I rate them somewhere down with Norwegian and Carnival. We were on the Infinity in September and it will probably be our last Celebrity cruise. Quality of food was at best so-so. We talked to another couple at breakfast on our last morning and asked them what they thought of the cruise, they responded it was just okay. Exactly our thoughts as well. When you're paying $500 a day or more it should be more than just okay as far as I'm concerned. I would be happy to give up the "free" drink package in exchange for better food. Putting a gourmet entree sign over the slop buckets in the buffet does not make it so!

15 years ago Celebrity used to be our go to cruise line but the last few years have seen a downward spiral. Now I rate them somewhere down with Norwegian and Carnival. We were on the Infinity in September and it will probably be our last Celebrity cruise. Quality of food was at best so-so. We talked to another couple at breakfast on our last morning and asked them what they thought of the cruise, they responded it was just okay. Exactly our thoughts as well. When you're paying $500 a day or more it should be more than just okay as far as I'm concerned. I would be happy to give up the "free" drink package in exchange for better food. Putting a gourmet entree sign over the slop buckets in the buffet does not make it so!

$500 a day? Even with your exchange rate, I have never paid a fraction of that, including suites.

Notice:

Would people posting inane responses like "I was on Solstice in 2005 and there was NO upcharge for MDR food" please read the thread!

The menu for the Infinity is posted, many, many posts ago. The OP (who many told were either lying or nuts "Won't believe til I see a picture") mentioned the Millennium.

They are obviously testing it on at least 2 ships. If it goes the way most things go on the Celebrity board, the cheerleaders will unpack the pom-poms ("$25 for a strip steak isn't bad") failing to see that they have already paid for a full dinner, so totally off-point.

And honestly, can't imagine if it were true, dry-aged beef (which BTW would have been frozen for many months) they would ruin it by a "herb marinade." Good beef does NOT need a marinade.

And honestly, can't imagine if it were true, dry-aged beef (which BTW would have been frozen for many months) they would ruin it by a "herb marinade." Good beef does NOT need a marinade.

My thoughts exactly. If you have a very good steak, you don't need sauces or coverups. The flavor of the meat is the "show."

In August we were in Blu on the Summit but decided to try Tuscon. On their menu we saw additional up charges for entrees. Therefore we paid for regular dining, plus paid an up-charge for the specialty restaurant and then they wanted to AGAIN up charge us for a better steak!!!!

TYVM Queen Lisa. May I have another?

BTW our Tuscon non up-charged steak was mediocre. We decided it wasn't worth the original up-charge. Neither of our steaks were cooked to proper temperature ordered and they were a little tough. (preparing for the flames from pom pom Celebrity cheerleaders by donning my fire proximity suit.)

Edited by ChucktownSteve