Sun lounger hogs get a red card

CCFC

It seems P&O are finally addressing the sun lounger hogs, I did see a similar picture from Azura but this one is from Britannia which should mean they are getting serious about it and removing offending towels/books/clothes.

Lonelylounger.jpg

Great if this is applied across the fleet and works. Clearly P&O has taken note of customer feedback on this one - it must be the most common complaint they get. Good for them. The only people who will be unhappy about this will be the serial offenders.

Its a big step forward and I think its a good idea, it won't change the selfish attitudes of people. We have often seen families and couples "reserving" sunbeds for people who don't turn up until after lunch or the ones that reserve a chair and a sunbed who will just return to the sunbed when a notice is put on it. I really can't see how that can be stopped but I do welcome the idea.

Great idea but it doesn't say how long you are allowed to be absent from your bed. Is it long enough for a swim or to have lunch, that part would need to be clear.

Apparently if you are not seen for 30 minutes they put the tag on the sunbed.

That's plenty isn't it? Could even be 20 perhaps? I don't think sunbeds should be reserved other than people going for a quick swim, and going back to their cabins to use the toilet and wash their hands. If you're going for lunch you don't need a sunbed

If everyone simply vacated the beds when they were no longer sunbathing/lounging there would always be plenty of beds available, everywhere, for everyone. No sunbed panic, ever. No need to creep out early to put towels out. There would be a general churn, as people left and people arrived

That's plenty isn't it? Could even be 20 perhaps? I don't think sunbeds should be reserved other than people going for a quick swim, and going back to their cabins to use the toilet and wash their hands. If you're going for lunch you don't need a sunbed

If everyone simply vacated the beds when they were no longer sunbathing/lounging there would always be plenty of beds available, everywhere, for everyone. No sunbed panic, ever. No need to creep out early to put towels out. There would be a general churn, as people left and people arrived

If you are going for lunch then you ought to vacate your sunbed. Even if you are using the buffet for lunch, surely you need to wash and change into something suitable.

Put these two posts together and get P&O to enforce it , would make for one happy ship , that's if you're a fair play sort of person , which I'm sure most are.:)

Put these two posts together and get P&O to enforce it , would make for one happy ship , that's if you're a fair play sort of person , which I'm sure most are.:)

The problem is that a lot of people are not "fair play" sort of people otherwise there wouldn't be all this discussion about hogging sunbeds but I agree that if you are away from your sunbed for lunch or 20 mins then you should vacate it.

The problem is that a lot of people are not "fair play" sort of people otherwise there wouldn't be all this discussion about hogging sunbeds but I agree that if you are away from your sunbed for lunch or 20 mins then you should vacate it.

I agree, just remove your things. After I saw the queue jumping on our last cruise, with people going to the front of a queue that others had been waiting in for an hour, I have lost faith in fair play on a ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Florry

If you are going for lunch then you ought to vacate your sunbed. Even if you are using the buffet for lunch, surely you need to wash and change into something suitable.
##

Don't agree, I simply put my t-shirt and shorts on over my swimsuit. Having said that, 20 minutes is enough time for lunch for me. I only ever have a salad.

Have to admit. We hate anyone who reserves a sun bed but we tend to get up st about 9.30am so no chance of a sunbed.But if we get one and have lunch for 20 mins we would hope to keep it ..... We'd only hsve hsd a short time anyway. I really don't think that leaving a sunbed for 20 mins should be in the same category as those who save all day and often never turn up.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

Just hope that P&O are as good at enforcing the rule. Will be watching this space and wait for comments when it's been put in to practise a few times.

Might just save us some money as we usually pay to use the retreat rather than face the frustration of seeing lonely sunbeds with nothing more than a book for company.

I'll report back when I return from Britannia on the 17th.

Sounds a good idea Mike.

To do it scientifically you really need to reserve a few upstairs and a few in the shade downstairs; when it's really busy, noting all the times you leave stuff on them and what happens to all the stuff.

Lol John

Edited by john watson

Sounds a good idea Mike.

To do it scientifically you really need to reserve a few upstairs and a few in the shade downstairs; when it's really busy, noting all the times you leave stuff on them and what happens to all the stuff.

Lol John

I shall take along a stopwatch and a collection of old books, sunglasses and raid the towel man for clarity!

;)

It seems P&O are finally addressing the sun lounger hogs, I did see a similar picture from Azura but this one is from Britannia which should mean they are getting serious about it and removing offending towels/books/clothes.

Lonelylounger.jpg

I was on this sailing and from what I saw, it was only a token gesture from the crew.

Still plenty of "long time gone" beds being covered up.

We actually saw a party of four girls who reserved beds on both sides of the pool - for when the sun came round in the afternoon.

These were not removed by the poolside police.

About time P&O, celebrity have been doing this for sometime I just hope the staff have been trained on enforcing the new procedure we are on britannia in a couple of weeks and hope this is properly enforced.

I don't know whether we have just been lucky or not. On both our cruises this year, Caribbean on Azura in February and Canaries on Britannia in September, we never had a problem getting a sunbed at any time during the day. Round the pools was always packed but lots of other good areas always had beds available and away from loud music. We have had far more frustrating experiences on land based holidays. On holiday in Turkey last year we saw two different nationalities fighting over sun beds that had been reserved with towels all morning. On no show after lunch, towels were removed by a family who were obviously fed up with the situation. When the family who had originally reserved them turned up, mayhem ensued and security had to be brought to deflate the situation.

We were on Oceana recently and saw the "pool police" in action:). Totally approve.

As we all know the use of the sunbeds is abused especially the ones in prime positions.

At times when we wanted to use we could only find a single unreserved bed and we occupied ( at one point sharing the only vacant sun bed for several hours) and then gradually throughout the day moved and moved until we got beds either next to each other or fairly close to each other.

However a couple of times when I was in the pool and the hot tub I was very nearly "bagged up and removed" and my partner had to say and point to where I was.

My partner had a ticket at one point and I was on the adjacent bed and didn't even notice until she returned and pointed it out to me!

Thinking about it I would be less than impressed if I came out of the pool or hot tub and found all of my stuff removed, had to go searching for it wet and potentially cold:(