Assign Boarding in San Juan??

Kudos2Fly

Does anyone know if there is assign boarding time in San Juan? We will be on Jewel of the Seas Dec. 11th. We will be flying in the day before. So hoping to check out of hotel at 11am, head to the port then board.

If we have an assigned board later then 12pm. Will we have to wait or can we board? Would hate to have an 2pm boarding time, as we will really not have any were to go.

We recently (May) sailed out of San Juan (Pan American pier) on Adventure and we were easily on around 11:30am...very easy (but the suite line D+ did help us to do this quickly)..no boarding times needed or enforced...it was on a first come basis.

Because we all paid for the first day and want to maximize the time on the ship.

Not attacking you Bob

But pay for the day may one day be determined by cabin type and/or status level. Just because one doesn't want change doesn't mean it might not happen.

I mean, people in Suites and generally higher decks pay more for their cabins generally than those on lower decks. Maybe this might be a perk one day for paying more for the cruise??? Just a thought I am sure will not go over well.

I would be surprised if they tried to enforce boarding time well past noon at any port due to the number of people who have stayed in local hotels the night before. They have hotel check-out times to deal with, at which point they are saddled with luggage that they would like to simply transfer to the ship.

Not enforced yet but they are trying to break everyone in when it begins to be enforced.

I like the idea why don't others?

Don't get me wrong I like the idea when it comes to organization but I really have a hard time thinking that windjammer is open while I still in land.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Don't get me wrong I like the idea when it comes to organization but I really have a hard time thinking that windjammer is open while I still in land.

But wouldn't you like to board and the WJ not be packed?? I think assigned boarding times would decrease time to actually board after check in and decrease the crowd in WJ, shorter lines at the bar. Luggage is a issue and not sure how to handle.

Not attacking you Bob

But pay for the day may one day be determined by cabin type and/or status level. Just because one doesn't want change doesn't mean it might not happen.

I mean, people in Suites and generally higher decks pay more for their cabins generally than those on lower decks. Maybe this might be a perk one day for paying more for the cruise??? Just a thought I am sure will not go over well.

Wow! You really feel passionate about this topic! So what exactly do you suggest people do who:

- have flights that arrive in the morning? (since no sane person would book a flight that arrives later)

- stayed in a hotel that they need to leave by 11AM?

- are driving to the port and want to arrive early 'just in case' of car trouble along the way?

Do you expect that they should all just stand outside the terminal waiting until all the suite and 'upper deck' passengers board? (By the way, not all the 'upper deck' cabins cost more! That is totally untrue. There are lots of 'upper deck' interiors that cost less then the lowest deck balcony cabin.)

Sorry, it makes total sense that people board as they arrive. Yes the suites and upper level C&A should be at the front of the line initially - but after that just get on as you arrive. Your posts make you sound like an elitist who thinks that their inside deck 12 cabin has more value than the inside on deck two.

P.S. Having assigned boarding times is one reason we have never sailed Disney! No way am I missing half of the first day because they tell me to board late afternoon!

Not attacking you Bob

I don't see that working very well. People will still show up when they want, and if they have to turn everyone away at the counter because they showed up too early, it will cause so many delays and jams in the line that it will put them off schedule moreso than allowing people to show up whenever they want. Some people show up before their suggested time, some show up later; it seems to cause no problems now, and if they changed it, it would just cause a mess. Enforcement would also require more staff, and more expense. If people want to show up when the lines are longest and wait in them instead of coming later; let them.

Edited by ColoradoGurl

Wow! You really feel passionate about this topic! So what exactly do you suggest people do who:

- have flights that arrive in the morning? (since no sane person would book a flight that arrives later)

- stayed in a hotel that they need to leave by 11AM?

- are driving to the port and want to arrive early 'just in case' of car trouble along the way?

Do you expect that they should all just stand outside the terminal waiting until all the suite and 'upper deck' passengers board? (By the way, not all the 'upper deck' cabins cost more! That is totally untrue. There are lots of 'upper deck' interiors that cost less then the lowest deck balcony cabin.)

Sorry, it makes total sense that people board as they arrive. Yes the suites and upper level C&A should be at the front of the line initially - but after that just get on as you arrive. Your posts make you sound like an elitist who thinks that their inside deck 12 cabin has more value than the inside on deck two.

P.S. Having assigned boarding times is one reason we have never sailed Disney! No way am I missing half of the first day because they tell me to board late afternoon!

I don't believe I have ever said Check In should be different. Check your luggage as you arrive. What if their was good entertainment and a cash bar in the Terminal??

Who has not seen people backed up 5 & 10 deep at the Schooner Bar on boarding day?? Crowed WJ?? Wouldn't you enjoy more if it is a little spread out??

Why is Royal asking now via email to arrive and board by times?? Appointments on Harmony?? Just eating up bandwidth??

Edited by troykahack

I don't believe I have ever said Check In should be different. Check your luggage as you arrive. What if their was good entertainment and a cash bar in the Terminal??

Who has not seen people backed up 5 & 10 deep at the Schooner Bar on boarding day?? Crowed WJ?? Wouldn't you enjoy more if it is a little spread out??

Why is Royal asking now via email to arrive and board by times?? Appointments on Harmony?? Just eating up bandwidth??

Why on earth would anyone choose to spend money on food and drink in the terminal when they are free once on board? In all honesty, YOU seem to be the only one bothered by the crowds upon boarding! So no, I don't want to pay for lunch in the terminal whilst other people who arrived later then me board ahead of me!

Why on earth would anyone choose to spend money on food and drink in the terminal when they are free once on board? In all honesty, YOU seem to be the only one bothered by the crowds upon boarding! So no, I don't want to pay for lunch in the terminal whilst other people who arrived later then me board ahead of me!

I get that.

How come nobody willing to take a guess why Royal starting to send out requests to board some ships by deck. We are on Serenade Monday, and have not yet received a letter. I don't suspect we will since boarding is on Monday.

Check your Guest Ticket Booklet.

Mine says 12:30 - 7:00, I plan on getting there shortly after 11:00 because that's when we get kicked out of our hotel. Unless RCI enforces boarding time rules, I will continue to show up when it's convenient for me, not them.

All of this boarding time debate is silly. Anyone who thinks I'm going to sit in the terminal and drink is way off track. BTW it's never taken more than a few minutes to find a seat in the Windjammer which is not any different than breakfast.

Yes, we were on that same cruise a couple of years ago. We had an assigned time to board. We checked out of our hotel and left our bags at our hotel while we saw some city sites. We ended up at the Starbucks using free wi-fi and asked our TA if we needed to wait for our assigned time. She told us to go on down to the ship.

We got to the ship a couple of hours before our assigned boarding time and they let us board, no problem. There were no lines or anything. It took us about 10 minutes to board.

Yes, we were on that same cruise a couple of years ago. We had an assigned time to board. We checked out of our hotel and left our bags at our hotel while we saw some city sites. We ended up at the Starbucks using free wi-fi and asked our TA if we needed to wait for our assigned time. She told us to go on down to the ship.

We got to the ship a couple of hours before our assigned boarding time and they let us board, no problem. There were no lines or anything. It took us about 10 minutes to board.

As we have done. But nobody willing to take an educated guess why on some ships and sail dates, Royal is sending a email to arrive and board by assigned times?? Are they doing it so we can discuss here??? So, it is just someone with nothing to do so they randomly send out the email??? Testing the water??

We have only ever sailed Disney, and let me tell you, boarding day is a very slick procedure! They do not enforce boarding times. As soon as 11'oclock arrives, it is very quick. Yes, they give you a boarding number to control the flow, but the numbers are called so quickly, the difference is only a matter of a few minutes to clear the bottle neck.

Getting off the ship is equally smooth. Leave when we you are ready, no holding you back.

I'm surprised by all this talk on RCI. I'm sure they could find some ways to improve their process. But we will soon find out!

As we have done. But nobody willing to take an educated guess why on some ships and sail dates, Royal is sending a email to arrive and board by assigned times?? Are they doing it so we can discuss here??? So, it is just someone with nothing to do so they randomly send out the email??? Testing the water??

The emails with assigned boarding times is not a new thing.

If you get an email with assigned boarding times - ignore it. Although they suggest 12:30pm I think that has more to do with timing relative to the Cabins being open and as a result (from the cruise line's perspective) less congestion in Windjammer. If you're at a nice hotel - you can request a later check-out (a lot of hotels are good with that - or at least the Starwood properties are). But if not - just head on over to the pier. You may have to wait a little before actually getting on board the ship, but at least you'll be all checked in.

Wow, didn't realize this thread would get this much response. :D :eek:

We will be staying at Sheraton Old San Juan. So they may have an late checkout.

I stay at Sheraton's quite often I'm in the Starwood points program and collect/ use Starwood points a lot. They're usually pretty good at letting you delay check-out until about 1pm. A lot of times on the booking (providing you can see it on their website) you can put in a request for late check out. If not just ask when you check in. Like I said Sheraton is pretty good about stuff like that.

I stay at Sheraton's quite often I'm in the Starwood points program and collect/ use Starwood points a lot. They're usually pretty good at letting you delay check-out until about 1pm. A lot of times on the booking (providing you can see it on their website) you can put in a request for late check out. If not just ask when you check in. Like I said Sheraton is pretty good about stuff like that.

It really is great you have those perks and I know we are probably getting way off topic.

What is there to do for 5-6 hours at most hotels while you are waiting?

Wow, didn't realize this thread would get this much response. :D :eek:

We will be staying at Sheraton Old San Juan. So they may have an late checkout.

Just a suggestion. If you want to beat the crowds, the meandering, the waiting in lines etc, take in a great tour called the Flavors of San Juan. It's a great way to see & eat at some of the best spots in San Juan. You'll have plenty of time to get on the ship.

Enjoy your cruise!