South Pacific

CanEcosse

To the OP, all I can say is that the Paul Gauguin is lovely, even if you're not a diver or snorkeler. Yes, there are lots of water activities, but the islands themselves are beautiful, as are the people.

To Hawaiidan, how can you dump all over the Gauguin like that without ever having sailed on the ship? Okay, so you "lived in the region for 10 years". Where? Hawaii? Somewhere else? I expect that many places in Hawaii are orders of magnitude more touristy than Bora Bora, and it is the most touristy island in French Polynesia. All the Societies are great, and for a first time visitor, the 7 or 10-day cruises are a great introduction.

Yes, the PG used to do mainly the 7-day trip in the Societies, but that has changed, and has been so for a number of years. Many trips to the Tuamotus, several trips a year to the Marquesas and the Cooks, and occasional forays over to Fiji or further.

BTW, the ship has had excellent enrichment lecturers, surpassing anything I've experienced on board a ship, since I was first on her in 2000, less than 2 years after she was launhed. Mark Eddowes was on in those days too.

Yes, the Aranui (sp Dan?), is a freighter than plies less-travelled islands. It sounds wonderful, I'd love to try it. I'm sure it's not for everyone.

And Oceania has some nice trips. I wouldn't want to be on a ship as large as Riviera or Marina in FP--the PG was designed for these waters, and is small enough that the passengers do not overwhelm the destinations with tourists.

And Oceania has some nice trips. I wouldn't want to be on a ship as large as Riviera or Marina in FP--the PG was designed for these waters, and is small enough that the passengers do not overwhelm the destinations with tourists.

Oh dear.Have I made a mistake? We chose Oceania,Marina for French Polynesia in 2018 over PG as we had a brilliant first Oceania cruise this past August.Plus we will do two days at Easter island..

Oh dear.Have I made a mistake? We chose Oceania,Marina for French Polynesia in 2018 over PG as we had a brilliant first Oceania cruise this past August.Plus we will do two days at Easter island..

I don't think you made a mistake. The PG never goes to Easter Island! It's a different experience. I have been on 5 PG cruises as well as 3 others in French Polynesia on other lines and bigger ships. As much as I love the PG if there is an itinerary that I can't pass up I would consider another cruise line. But not on a ship larger than the Marina.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by twin123185

No you did not. Spent 17 days on Marina from PPT to Sydney a few years ago and it was great. Not crowded at all and there is plenty to do when there are sea days. Would love to do the same trip again with the possibility of ending in NZ this time. :):):)

The chance to see Easter Island makes it worth it for sure. It's high in my personal wish list. Been on Riviera and for a crossing, it sounds great.

I would advise you to get unto your roll call and when it comes to excursions on Easter Island and organize something. I'm sure they have a good tourist infrastructure there, but Oceania is known sometimes for not having enough ship's excursions for passengers in these remote places. I say this because friends of mine did Riviera in FP and were taken to the Marquesas Islands, which are very remote, and on some islands the ship offered no excursions at all, and the scant number of guides on one of the islands far outstripped the passenger count.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

I echo the sentiment of others above.

We did this cruise and were very happy.

As suggested, arrange a private tour on Easter islands.

Also, and this is VERY important. If you have a private group tour on EI, get everybody on your tour to the lounge VERY early for tender tickets (or arrange beforehand to get them for your group, if it is large enough). Otherwise you will sit in the lounge for a very long time - tendering there is very slow due to local conditions and ship's tours are given preference.

No you did not. Spent 17 days on Marina from PPT to Sydney a few years ago and it was great. Not crowded at all and there is plenty to do when there are sea days. Would love to do the same trip again with the possibility of ending in NZ this time. :):):)

We cruised for 18 days this year on Marina in South Pacific and would do it all again.

Loved it.:)

To those of you who are looking forward to Easter Island ...

I haven't done this trip! But it seems to me that I've seen a number of comments that when it came to Easter Island, the ship couldn't land.

I suggest doing some searching to see previous comments.

That doesn't mean it's a total waste! From what I recall islanders come on board to sell their items, but it does mean that if you want to tour the island -- as I would want to do -- it isn't always possible.

Then again, maybe I'm remembering totally wrong!

I have to say that I would book Marina or Riviera if the itinerary included Easter Island, hoping that my luck would hold out.

Sometimes it has in the past (as with the Falklands and Good Hope) and sometimes it hasn't!

But I love life on the ship as well ...

Mura

To those of you who are looking forward to Easter Island ...

I haven't done this trip! But it seems to me that I've seen a number of comments that when it came to Easter Island, the ship couldn't land.

I suggest doing some searching to see previous comments.

That doesn't mean it's a total waste! From what I recall islanders come on board to sell their items, but it does mean that if you want to tour the island -- as I would want to do -- it isn't always possible.

Then again, maybe I'm remembering totally wrong!

I have to say that I would book Marina or Riviera if the itinerary included Easter Island, hoping that my luck would hold out.

Sometimes it has in the past (as with the Falklands and Good Hope) and sometimes it hasn't!

But I love life on the ship as well ...

Mura

Mura,

I think you mean Pitcairn Island where the ship only anchors and there are no shore excursions but the locals come onboard.

The case with Easter islands is that most of the time they can visit the islands but occasionally due to weather the ship cannot stop there.

That is very possible, Paul. We haven't done a cruise in the area and so I probably was equating the two ... even though they are very different.

I'd enjoy seeing Pitcairn but really would lust to visit Easter Island ...

Mura

We were on the April Marina crossing, PPT to Lima. The islands of FP were wonderful and Oceania did a fine job. I wouldn't worry about choosing O over FP, both are great experiences.

However we were 0 for 2 at Easter Island, very very disappointing to say the least. We thought having two days would mean we would at least get in one day.

We were lined up at 7am for tender tickets to get to a private tour.

Initially we were told tenders were delayed because of high seas and we had the impression we were going in later. It was a sunny beautiful day with seas seemingly calm to most passengers. We circumvented the island. We saw a small boat bring entertainers and provisions on board.

At 2pm the CD made the shocking announcement that we were leaving, setting sail for Lima. The Chilean navy predicted a storm would be coming in.

We were in total shock when the ship set sail shortly thereafter.

Very very disappointing. Nothing we could do.

Islanders from Pitcairn island come in board. No visitors from EI.

We were on the April Marina crossing, PPT to Lima. The islands of FP were wonderful and Oceania did a fine job. I wouldn't worry about choosing O over FP, both are great experiences.

However we were 0 for 2 at Easter Island, very very disappointing to say the least. We thought having two days would mean we would at least get in one day.

We were lined up at 7am for tender tickets to get to a private tour.

Initially we were told tenders were delayed because of high seas and we had the impression we were going in later. It was a sunny beautiful day with seas seemingly calm to most passengers. We circumvented the island. We saw a small boat bring entertainers and provisions on board.

At 2pm the CD made the shocking announcement that we were leaving, setting sail for Lima. The Chilean navy predicted a storm would be coming in.

We were in total shock when the ship set sail shortly thereafter.

Very very disappointing. Nothing we could do.

Islanders from Pitcairn island come in board. No visitors from EI.

We are on the Marina January 2018 Lima to Papeete. Keep our fingers crossed we'll be able to tender to the Easter Island. Can you please share the tour operator that you used to arrange a private tour. Also, in your very unfortunate case of missing the island, did the tour company keep your deposits or you were refunded?

We always prefer private tours where it's possible, but debating now if the ship tour is safer with a possibility for the ship to leave earlier without notice if the weather quickly change.

Thanks,

Olga

We are on the Marina January 2018 Lima to Papeete. Keep our fingers crossed we'll be able to tender to the Easter Island. Can you please share the tour operator that you used to arrange a private tour. Also, in your very unfortunate case of missing the island, did the tour company keep your deposits or you were refunded?

We always prefer private tours where it's possible, but debating now if the ship tour is safer with a possibility for the ship to leave earlier without notice if the weather quickly change.

Thanks,

Olga

We were booked with Easter Island Spirit.

The deposit was non refundable but we all knew that. The communication from James, the owner, was very clear. No refunds because the bus driver and vehicle owner require payment in advance. It was worth the gamble and I would book private again. Oceania tours were insanely priced to see very little.

Post cruise James said we were the first ship to miss both days.

It was especially frustrating because we could see the buses, vans lined up waiting for passengers.

The best of luck and rejoice when you make landfall. Maybe we will try again some day.

The deposit was non refundable but we all knew that. The communication from James, the owner, was very clear. No refunds because the bus driver and vehicle owner require payment in advance. It was worth the gamble and I would book private again. Oceania tours were insanely priced to see very little.

It was especially frustrating because we could see the buses, vans lined up waiting for passengers.

The best of luck and rejoice when you make landfall. Maybe we will try again some day.

Just a thought.

If you ever cruise in S America - say BA to Valpo (or reverse), why not fly to Easter Island from Santiago for 4 days pre or post cruise. They have 3 and 4 day packages and you would be guaranteed a visit there with plenty of time.

We did that a few years back.

Just a thought.

If you ever cruise in S America - say BA to Valpo (or reverse), why not fly to Easter Island from Santiago for 4 days pre or post cruise. They have 3 and 4 day packages and you would be guaranteed a visit there with plenty of time.

Good idea.

Just a thought.

I would love to do that, great idea. We thought about doing that after our cruise to Lima next January, but are going in the opposite direction up to Ecuador. Maybe next time.

Hawaiidan and I have tangled in the past about various things, including Oceania (I am not a fan, he is), and the Paul Gauguin (I am a huge fan, he is not).

He does make one good point about visiting French Polynesia, for those for whom it is possible. It would be lovely to be on a nice ship for a few days in the South Pacific and come across, say, Bora Bora for the first time. The flights to Papete are exhausting. But, his alternative requires a lot more time which I would prefer to spend in French Polynesia. His background in the navy may bias him a bit too.

When he attacks the Paul Gauguin, though, I think he does show his ignorance. Others have commented on this here.

Another small example is when he refers the the faux French-Polynesian atmosphere when the ship was operated by Radisson (now Regent). In those days, the ship's crew (not the hotel staff) were French, sailing in French Polynesia, a French protectorate, and a fair number of the passengers were French. In fact, the ship was in large measure bilingual in French and English. How is this "faux"?

Here is a small off-topic but cringe-worthy story of those days. We were on the PG shortly after 9/11, when there was all the talk in the US about "freedom fries" instead of "French fries" etc. because the French, wisely in my view, refused to get involved in George W.'s Iraq mis-advanture. As was the custom in those days, at the sail away the French captain of the ship welcomed the passengers in English, and then welcomed us in French. A number of US passengers started to boo.

Thank you for your information. We'll definitely consider booking private and hope for the best.

I am aware we may not get to Easter Island,a risk we have to take. Weather can ruin many destinations..We were very very lucky to get to the Falklands on our Antartica cruise.Very few step foot on the islands,but the sea was so calm that day...

I can't worry about it now....too much to look forward to,to dampen my spirits.

I am aware we may not get to Easter Island,a risk we have to take. Weather can ruin many destinations..We were very very lucky to get to the Falklands on our Antartica cruise.Very few step foot on the islands,but the sea was so calm that day...

I can't worry about it now....too much to look forward to,to dampen my spirits.

Bravo - the right attitude.

I do hope you will get to see the magic of those islands.