First time w/carry on only luggage question

tbmrt

We only travel with carry on..unless is is an automobile trip from home.

We usually travel to very sunny oceanside places. At least twice a year for 2-3 months each.

We use sunscreen. We have a 100ml tube that we can refill from a much larger container at home. We buy 100ml or less toothpaste. We take a very small hotel style bottle of shampoo with us on the plane. We pick up others as we progress on our land travels. If we are going to an area where we need deet, we bring one or two 100ml containers. DW does not bring much else. We changed our travel habits completely after retiring and it meant getting rid of a lot items that we really did not need.

Edited by iancal

I know many people fly with just carryon's. How do you deal with this? Shop for these things when you get to your destination??

No problem for me. An .85 ounce tube of Crest lasts me about 3 weeks. A 2.25 ounce can of Barbasol shave cream lasts months. My Neutrogena Sunscreen comes in a 3 ounce tube, more than I will use in my travels. There is plenty of room for 3 ounce bottles of shampoo, conditioner, or whatever other liquids I need.

Holland America provides acceptable shampoo. I used the leftover room in my quart bag for all my daily toiletries that were not liquids, my comb, toothbrush, antiperspirant, razor, etc.

For those of you that have not done so, I suggest you keep track of your usage and take only what you need on your next trip.

I don't like buying toiletries overseas, afraid that the toothpaste I buy will turn out to be acne cream. Even my usual brands may be differently formulated and give me a rash.

No problem for me. An .85 ounce tube of Crest lasts me about 3 weeks. A 2.25 ounce can of Barbasol shave cream lasts months. My Neutrogena Sunscreen comes in a 3 ounce tube, more than I will use in my travels. There is plenty of room for 3 ounce bottles of shampoo, conditioner, or whatever other liquids I need.

Holland America provides acceptable shampoo. I used the leftover room in my quart bag for all my daily toiletries that were not liquids, my comb, toothbrush, antiperspirant, razor, etc.

For those of you that have not done so, I suggest you keep track of your usage and take only what you need on your next trip.

I don't like buying toiletries overseas, afraid that the toothpaste I buy will turn out to be acne cream. Even my usual brands may be differently formulated and give me a rash.

There are some things I'll buy overseas and others I avoid. I use Bumble & Bumble Hair products and they seem to be the same everywhere--although even though they are London based, I pay about 40% less in the US...

Kiehl's, Refinery, and L'Occitane seem to be the same anywhere. Same thing with plain old original Colgate Toothpaste.

• 1 year later...
The drug stores usually have a section with travel size of most things

DH has a couple of shaving creme ones that will fit in the TSA baggie

Sunscreen buy at your destination

x2. I have some travel size shaving cream. Can buy it just about anywhere.

I'm sorry. I am kinda new to this. So along with my 1 quart zip lock, can I also have a medicine bag with prescription medicine? I know it sounds stupid, have only done this once before quite awhile ago. Thanks for all your help.

Yes. Medicine doesn't count as toiletries.

For all of you who can take a cruise with 3 ounces of suntan lotion - not wise. My dermatologist recommends a shot glass as a measurement for how much sunscreen/sunblock to use at each application. There is no such thing as a safe tan, natural tan, etc., it's not about the tan; it's about skin cancer prevention.

There is also a big difference in a business trip and vacation. My husband traveled weekly to hot, sunny climates. He was in an office/hotel and didn't need sunscreen. Vacations are not the same.

I normally travel with a carry-on. Baby sunscreen I buy before I embark at some store or other. (I'm prone to eczema, but can use baby sunscreen which is sold almost everywhere.) Because my skin is very picky, I bring all of the rest of my toiletries. Cetaphil cream squeezed into a reusable tube, shampoo, conditioner, makeup remover towelettes, bar of soap, makeup -- all fit in my 1 quart zip lock bag. Prescription cream, and prescription inhalers (for asthma) are in a separate bag. This has been plenty for 2 weeks abroad in a hot area.

Once, in Zurich flying back to the US, security wanted to see the prescriptions that went along with the inhalers. I handed them over, and there was no issue.

Of course not, but liquid medicine counts as liquid - and subject to rules for carrying liquid.

OP was asking if liquid medicine had to be in the quart sized bag - assuming that bag was already pretty full of liquid toiletries, hence my reply. You are allowed another quart sized bag and bigger size bottle, if medication. Actually website doesn't say it even has to be in a bag.

Below is from TSA website.

Medication in liquid form is allowed in carry-on bags in excess of 3.4 ounces in reasonable quantities for the flight. It is not necessary to place medically required liquids in a zip-top bag. However, you must tell the officer that you have medically necessary liquids at the start of the screening checkpoint process.Sep 24, 2013

Liquid prescription medication is not subject to the same regulations. Just carry a copy of your prescription in case security questions it.

I always travel with a big tube of prescription steroid cream in case my eczema decides to flare. I also have a copy of my prescription with me. On the rare times security has questioned my tube of cream, the prescription has been accepted with no problem.

Liquid prescription medication is not subject to the same regulations. Just carry a copy of your prescription in case security questions it.

I always travel with a big tube of prescription steroid cream in case my eczema decides to flare. I also have a copy of my prescription with me. On the rare times security has questioned my tube of cream' date=' the prescription has been accepted with no problem.[/quote']

Right. I've occasionally had to travel with a bottle of cough medicine because after a bad cold, it sometimes takes weeks for my airway to settle back down. I just take the bottle (with prescription label) out of my carry-on and show it to the agent. I rubber band a medicine spoon to the bottle and keep them in a Ziploc freezer bag because it would be a mess if it leaked.

We have been doing carry on only for the last five years since retiring. One week or eight weeks as we are curently doing.

First off, we have really cut back on all the beauty products. We each take a 100ml tube of toothpaste. I have a 100ml tube of sun block that I have been refilling from a larger bottle each trip. For some trips we take two of them. Next is a 100ml container of deet based bug spray. The heavy duty stuff so that we use less. That is about it other than sometimes a few hotel size shampoos or bar soaps in case we hit a place that does not have or I end up allergic to them. That is it really. Solid deodorant.

DW takes a few prescriptions-pill and eyedrops. She combines the pills to save on space. In five years of international travel to some strange places we have never, not once, been questioned about medication.

As far as baggage checks, Vietnam was by far the most thorough. Mexico the least.

We have traveled carry on only for many years - I love Lush Cosmetics Bar shampoo and bar conditioner, wipes for bug repellent, sunscreen sticks which do not count as liquids, even carry my own bar soap as hotel soap is too drying. We put 2 3oz sunscreen in each baggie and buy more if needed but also wear UV filtering long sleeve shirts/hats when on excursions on the water where the sun is reflecting from everywhere.