San Diego Cruise port

ovchamp

Hi,

I have visited San Diego as a cruise port, but I have never started a cruise from San Diego. I am booked on a short four-night Pacific Coastal cruise on the Oosterdam from San Diego to Vancouver that departs on April 25, 2017. The Nieuw Amsterdam also is scheduled to depart on a cruise from San Diego on the same day.

I didn't realize that there were problems cruising from San Diego. I am now starting to worry about the embarkation process (especially because there will be two ships in port).

Because I am flying to San Diego the day before the cruise (and staying at the Manchester Grand Hyatt), I have some flexibility for when I arrive at the port. Does anyone have any recommendations or advice?

Thanks,

Chuck

Edited by seacruise9

Hi,

I have visited San Diego as a cruise port, but I have never started a cruise from San Diego. I am booked on a short four-night Pacific Coastal cruise on the Oosterdam from San Diego to Vancouver that departs on April 25, 2017. The Nieuw Amsterdam also is scheduled to depart on a cruise from San Diego on the same day.

I didn't realize that there were problems cruising from San Diego. I am now starting to worry about the embarkation process (especially because there will be two ships in port).

Because I am flying to San Diego the day before the cruise (and staying at the Manchester Grand Hyatt), I have some flexibility for when I arrive at the port. Does anyone have any recommendations or advice?

Thanks,

Chuck

I would try to embark later in the day; not at the peak times at the beginning. Enjoy the surrounding area, and then hopefully the lines will have receded. It might be worth paying for lunch that day elsewhere than standing in those long, long lines.

(PS - I would not take this advice myself - I always want to get on board as soon as I can and I hate lines!)

We stopped in San Diego in October on an 11 night Mexico cruise from Vancouver. About half the ship only booked the first 4 days and was disembarking in San Diego. Those on the 11 night were told that we could either stay on board or come and go as we pleased like any other port day.

We went ashore early to pick up a few things and when we returned the shore staff ran us around for about 15 minutes arguing about whether or not the ship had to zero out and telling us we couldn't go back on board until new passengers started boarding. Finally after many discussions we were told to go thru security.

Whoever said security was bad wasn't kidding. Security people were rude and almost abusive. I have been through countless airports (some known for tough security) and this was the first time I had to empty all pockets and put my wallet through the X-Ray before I walked through the metal detector. They were barking orders at people like Marine Drill Sergeants. Have never been treated this way at another cruise terminal.

Once through security several more people had discussions about whether or not we could reboard the ship.

When we finally got back onto the ship I let the Concierge know about the hassles in the terminal. She stopped me in the hall a bit later and said that that her boss had a discussion with terminal staff and cleared things up. That should have happened much earlier- not with us standing in the terminal with shopping bags in hand.

We are on the same cruise next year on Oosterdam- hopefully will be better. Won't hold my breath though.

Edited by frankc98376

Hi,

Thanks,

Chuck

We embarked on the Westerdam on 11/5 in San Diego. In port with us that day was the Veendam. HAL had sent out an email asking passengers to arrive at various times by deck/category due to the volume. We were in a SA so our time was at 11:30. It seemed by the crowd of people that the majority had disregarded the email - and just arrived early. It was crowded!

Later I found out that there were 1,500 Mariners aboard (almost 3/4 of all the passengers!) that would explain the crowd at embarkation. Many were 4 and 5 Star Mariners using their priority check-in. Expect a crowd, maybe 900-1,100 more than we had, as the Oosterdam and Niew Amsterdam have larger capacities.

Hi,

Thanks for the information. I usually arrive early to board a ship, but a later arrival sounds better this time. I have taken many cruises with other lines, but this will only be my sixth cruise with Holland America (only a 2-star Mariner). As a result, I don't have priority boarding with this line. I think this is even more of a reason to arrive later.

Chuck

We had an easy check in on Nov. 12th. Our Best Western Yacht harbor van drove on the pier around 11 am, our luggage was immediately loaded onto a cart by a longshoreman, we walked into the terminal and saw a huge line leading up to a counter with only 2 agents who were checking passports and boarding passes. I asked the HAL rep if their was a priority line for 4* Mariners. She took us through a cordoned off line with no one in it to the front of the line. One of the 2 agents at the podium checked our documentation and we were directed to the screening line. After screening we filled out the health paper and again got priority check in. We were given a boarding card and directed to to seating area. After 15 minutes boarding began and we were on the ship. This was the best experience we have ever had at San Diego!

Disembarkation went well also, with 4 lines for customs/passport check.

I guess we got lucky this time! This is the first time I have seen agents checking documentation prior to screening, and it made the line very long.

Karen

We stopped in San Diego in October on an 11 night Mexico cruise from Vancouver. About half the ship only booked the first 4 days and was disembarking in San Diego. Those on the 11 night were told that we could either stay on board or come and go as we pleased like any other port day.

We went ashore early to pick up a few things and when we returned the shore staff ran us around for about 15 minutes arguing about whether or not the ship had to zero out and telling us we couldn't go back on board until new passengers started boarding. Finally after many discussions we were told to go thru security.

Whoever said security was bad wasn't kidding. Security people were rude and almost abusive. I have been through countless airports (some known for tough security) and this was the first time I had to empty all pockets and put my wallet through the X-Ray before I walked through the metal detector. They were barking orders at people like Marine Drill Sergeants. Have never been treated this way at another cruise terminal.

Once through security several more people had discussions about whether or not we could reboard the ship.

When we finally got back onto the ship I let the Concierge know about the hassles in the terminal. She stopped me in the hall a bit later and said that that her boss had a discussion with terminal staff and cleared things up. That should have happened much earlier- not with us standing in the terminal with shopping bags in hand.

We are on the same cruise next year on Oosterdam- hopefully will be better. Won't hold my breath though.

Our last in-transit day was like this, Frank. We came back from the drug store and had to sit for about an hour before they finally agreed to let us re-board, and then only because I protested seeing new passengers going on board. There seems to be zero communication between the port staff.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Forums mobile app

Just to an another data point:

We embarked at SD for Tales of the South Pacific on Amsterdam; NCL Sun was also boarding at the same location that day. We walked/rolled with our luggage from our hotel and arrived at the pier about 11:15, we were on board about 12:20 as 3 star Mariners, no priority embarkation. We were in lines the whole time, not sitting around, but I thought it went pretty well. Security was the normal set-up and easier than at the airport, we had 2 bottles of wine that nobody blinked over.

I'll note that there were folks we met on board who did not get one of their suitcases that they left with the shore personnel. They got only 3 of their 4 pieces of luggage that they dropped off all together, all tagged similarly.

After the cruise I met up with this couple in the airport and asked if they had reconnected with their missing luggage... nope. After many messages and inquiries during the cruise HAL didn't know what happened to it, said they contacted NCL and they didn't have it either. SD denied having it, so I guess it vanished? This couple, I thought, was taking it much better than I would have!

It wasn't on our ship, room steward had been alerted to be on the lookout for it.... In my opinion, who else can you blame than the SD shore handlers? I just shiver to think about it. I try to "pack like I'll never see it again" but I really don't want to have to go through that. m--

My last cruise from Vancouver on the Ruby Princess was horrible....embarkation took over 2 1/2 hours. I'll cruise from there again if I have the opportunity. You shouldn't let one bad experience at a port dissuade you.

David

P.S. Across the street are the Wyndam Resort, and Springhill Suites/Radisson Inn complex. Embassy Suites is 4 blocks to the south.

Edited by DAllenTCY

My last cruise from Vancouver on the Ruby Princess was horrible....embarkation took over 2 1/2 hours. I'll cruise from there again if I have the opportunity. You shouldn't let one bad experience at a port dissuade you.

David

P.S. Across the street are the Wyndam Resort, and Springhill Suites/Radisson Inn complex. Embassy Suites is 4 blocks to the south.

Any issues with Vancouver boarding can almost always be laid at the feet of the US Customs officers, who generally turn up late, or if one is on time others will stroll in later. Boarding in Vancouver requires that you go through these fellows.

Any issues with Vancouver boarding can almost always be laid at the feet of the US Customs officers, who generally turn up late, or if one is on time others will stroll in later. Boarding in Vancouver requires that you go through these fellows.

At the very end and very beginning of the Alaska cruise season, Vancouver has had as many of 5 ships to process on the same day.

A few years ago we had real horror stories from there, but I think they made strides too but the common denominator issue is - how many other cruise ships in port the same day.

I'm confused. Why do you have to go through US customs in Vancouver? Is it because your first port of call is an American one (in Alaska)?:confused:

Edited by sp2

I'm confused. Why do you have to go through US customs in Vancouver? Is it because your first port of call is an American one (in Alaska)?:confused:

Yes, you do. You have to clear before you board the ship. Disembarking, you go through Canadian Customs.

Yes -- It is much easier to do it Vancouver than to have Customs in the assorted small Alaskan ports.

From US Customs and Border Control: Preclearance

Beginning in 2015, the United States intends to enter into negotiations in order to expand air preclearance operations to new locations. Through preclearance, the same immigration, customs, and agriculture inspections of international air passengers performed on arrival in the United States can be completed before departure at foreign airports instead.

Currently, preclearance operations take place at 15 foreign airports in six different countries, benefitting air passengers, airports, and air carriers, in the United States and abroad. CBP also staffs a Pre-inspection facility for passenger/vehicle ferry traffic to the U.S. in Victoria, Canada.

Edited by OlsSalt

From US Customs and Border Control: Preclearance

Beginning in 2015, the United States intends to enter into negotiations in order to expand air preclearance operations to new locations. Through preclearance, the same immigration, customs, and agriculture inspections of international air passengers performed on arrival in the United States can be completed before departure at foreign airports instead.

Currently, preclearance operations take place at 15 foreign airports in six different countries, benefitting air passengers, airports, and air carriers, in the United States and abroad. CBP also staffs a Pre-inspection facility for passenger/vehicle ferry traffic to the U.S. in Victoria, Canada.

Yes, I was aware of airport preclearance. There have been US immigration operations at Ottawa, Toronto, and Montreal (and maybe Vancouver?) airports for quite a number of years now (maybe 20 years?). However I was not aware of US customs officials doing preclearance of cruise ships sailing out of Vancouver. I don't think your quote above references seaports (mentions only foreign airports, and ferry traffic from Victoria). Anyways, thanks for the info. Good to know if we ever decide to do an Alaskan cruise from Vancouver.

We are sailing out of San Diego on Saturday so I will try to report back on how it goes from there. Hopefully smoothly!

Can you just bring your own luggage on? We'll just have a couple of smallish roll ons (24" ones).

Yes you can unless changed recently. We did just this last year and just took our rollaboards with us. In light of this thread, we stayed across the street at the Wyndham and were on board about 20 minutes after leaving our hotel room. Only the Veendam in port so that had to help.:D

Yes, I was aware of airport preclearance. There have been US immigration operations at Ottawa, Toronto, and Montreal (and maybe Vancouver?) airports for quite a number of years now (maybe 20 years?). However I was not aware of US customs officials doing preclearance of cruise ships sailing out of Vancouver. I don't think your quote above references seaports (mentions only foreign airports, and ferry traffic from Victoria). Anyways, thanks for the info. Good to know if we ever decide to do an Alaskan cruise from Vancouver.

We are sailing out of San Diego on Saturday so I will try to report back on how it goes from there. Hopefully smoothly!

If you are talking about custom clearance in Canadian airports before the flight and then none upon entering the US, Calgary Alberta is also another place. [No help for a cruise ship though, but great for pax flying from central Canada to a cruise port. :D]

I questioned that when they didn't give me enough time between flights in Minneapolis and was told about the preclearance in Calgary. It worked great, nice not having to line-up again the minute you reach a new airport. Not that I'm in that many airports.

I will be sailing out of SD in December - only ship in port - and I will looking forward to your report.

Edited by Happily@Sea

Our very first cruise was out of Miami on the Norwegian Sky in 2000. Like so many first cruisers, we had no idea what to do or what we were doing. It was an absolute zoo. Now that we have 22 cruises under our belts we can look back and reflect on that first experience. It was an absolute zoo. Nothing compares. It's funny that the thread is comparing Fort Lauderdale and San Diego. Both ports are based on a cul-de-sac. There is one way in and one way out. Passengers trying to get off the ship run into early arrivals trying to get on.

The security gate in San Diego is the main problem for arriving passengers. You get dropped off on the curb and then have to make it through a gate to get into the dock. Then they make you wait in a long line until everybody gets off the ship. If there is more than one ship in port, it could be a long wait. Once you get inside, there are plenty of chairs. I've disembarked in San Diego when there were 3 ships in port. They put all the luggage in a tent with only one doorway to enter and leave. Reminded me of the zoo in Miami.

Getting through customs in Fort Lauderdale seems to be the main problem. All four of us were dragging two pieces of luggage each and they kept yelling at us to walk side by side in a space that wasn't big enough for 4 people without luggage. Plus no air conditioning. My daughter started to have a panic attack. The customs agent was very nice but detained us and everybody behind us until she calmed down.

This year we are leaving on the Veendam from Fort Lauderdale and arriving in San Diego. We'll see which port comes out on top.

You are correct....only one way in and it is the same narrow passage for those exiting. In my opinion Holland America created the embarkation nightmares by offering a special Mariner's Luncheon on day of sailing. Too many people attempt to board at 11-12 am, when disembarkation is just finishing. As noted on previous posts, longshoremen take their lunches in two shifts, starting about that time and continuing until 12:30 pm.

Until HAL assigns embarkation times ala Celebrity, Carnival, and Princess.....there will be long lines until 2 pm at the pier.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING.

David

you are correct....only one way in and it is the same narrow passage for those exiting. In my opinion holland america created the embarkation nightmares by offering a special mariner's luncheon on day of sailing. too many people attempt to board at 11-12 am, when disembarkation is just finishing. As noted on previous posts, longshoremen take their lunches in two shifts, starting about that time and continuing until 12:30 pm.

Until hal assigns embarkation times ala celebrity, carnival, and princess.....there will be long lines until 2 pm at the pier.

Happy thanksgiving.

David

Wow ! Do you actually stay up at night thinking of these far-fetched excuses for poor port administration? Maybe you should know that HAL has Mariners' Embarkation Luncheons (as they used to be called) in ALL their embarkation ports and none of them experience the chaos that San Diego does. Blaming HAL because longshoremen break for lunch during the busiest time? Maybe you should consider blaming their union :rolleyes:

You are correct....only one way in and it is the same narrow passage for those exiting. In my opinion Holland America created the embarkation nightmares by offering a special Mariner's Luncheon on day of sailing. Too many people attempt to board at 11-12 am, when disembarkation is just finishing. As noted on previous posts, longshoremen take their lunches in two shifts, starting about that time and continuing until 12:30 pm.

Until HAL assigns embarkation times ala Celebrity, Carnival, and Princess.....there will be long lines until 2 pm at the pier.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING.

David

Seattle port building isn't much bigger (yes, there is a second floor) but all embarking passengers are funneled up one escalator per ship, into a room smaller than the San Diego boarding area. Passengers for HAL Vista and large Princess all in one room divided by chairs. Has always moved smoothly- never had a delay at security. they built covered drive thru area for luggage drop off and waiting. Not rocket science- seems to run very smoothly.