Is the age of many HAL ships a problem for potential HAL cruisers??

haikou

Our potential issue is not only with HAL or a specific HAL ship. It is an industry challenge. Carnival also has a few old bangers in the fleet.

So does NCL. DW and friend had the misfortune to book an NCL Star cruise a few years ago. The cabin looked perfect. Very clean. After five minutes DW was sneezing and hacking. After 10 minutes they could discern the difference between the room deodorizer and a very strong mould smell. They called HK and waited in the hall. An officer came along, walked in and out of their cabin, apologized and told them that they would be moved immediately.

DW's comment... she wondered how many other people had stayed in that cabin or had the misfortune to stay in a cabin that was on the same HVAC run?

Just one of the reasons why we try to avoid some of the older ships in any fleet.

Edited by iancal

Really. IF the ship is on the market for years and the cruise line does not want another company to buy the ship why not simply take the ship off the market?

And if they really want to sell, why raise the price even higher if there has been no takers at the current price for years on end????

"Make me an offer I can't refuse" .....comes to mind. :cool:

I guess that it comes down to the cost of a new state of the art ship of the same size that incorporates the latest energy efficient technologies vs. the cost of buying an old banger and ripping it apart to bring it up to current spec. and current design/layout.

It all about the total capital investment and lifespan of the finished product-new build or re-build. Taking into account any operating cost advantages of course.

I guess that it comes down to the cost of a new state of the art ship of the same size that incorporates the latest energy efficient technologies vs. the cost of buying an old banger and ripping it apart to bring it up to current spec. and current design/layout.

It all about the total capital investment and lifespan of the finished product-new build or re-build. Taking into account any operating cost advantages of course.

Exactly and that does not mean five, ten or fifteen years. Minimum would be 20 years so if anyone expects ships to go to the breakers after ten years they are dreaming.

This year i sailed on the 4000 pax mega ship NCL Getaway. Two months later i sailed on the Zaandam.

Nearly everyday I found myself thinking how much I preferred the smaller more simple Zaandam that feels like a real SHIP and not a floating shopping mall.

Your experience may vary.

Why are cruises on the P'dam so expensive? Is the food better? Better cabins? Better service? Many times the cost of the P'dam is right up there with Oceania and Azamara.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

I cannot answer this question as we didn't "get" the appeal of the Prinsendam. There are a few hundred fewer passengers on board compared to the other small HAL ships. The itineraries are very interesting.

We thought food and service were pretty standard for Holland America. Our OV cabin and some public areas had seen better days. We experienced mechanical issues over and over again.

Why are cruises on the P'dam so expensive? Is the food better? Better cabins? Better service? Many times the cost of the P'dam is right up there with Oceania and Azamara.

Enjoy!

Economies of scale. Which is why ships are getting larger and larger. :(

I suppose Prinsendam intends to capture some of those smaller premium line passengers, mainly from within the HAL family, by offering a smaller ship experience, unique itineraries that take extra planning and permits, and some pretty fabulous old designed suite cabins one may not find as easily on even other luxury line ships.

Edited by OlsSalt

Enjoy!

This is a tough question (we have spent 200 days on the P'Dam). Yes, we do feel food in the MDR is somewhat better, but this might be due to it simply being a smaller restaurant having to prepare fewer meals. Cabins really vary but most have walk-in closets which is nice on the longer cruises. The ship also has the highest crew to passenger ratio because it is an older vessel with some ineffectiveness. We have been told it costs more per passenger to operate this ship...and assume HAL is simply passing along some of those costs. And then there is the old answer to why they charge more money....because they can :). The P'Dam has the highest percentage of repeat cruisers in the fleet. It is one of those rare love it or hate it ships. Those of us who love it cannot always explain why....but we keep returning for more :).

Hank

Enjoy!

Cruising on smaller ships is almost always more expensive, not from a desire to create "exclusivity" but because there are fewer passengers among whom to spread the fixed operating costs of the ship.

What makes passengers willing to pay the higher costs (IMO) is the interesting itineraries of the ship -- they are not just the cookie cutter 7-day, 10-day, 11-day with repeats.

Some past passengers claim there's better service; I haven't been on her (yet) so I can't confirm or deny, but I rather suspect that Prinsendam's smaller size very much contributes to this, as it is much easier to get personalized, friendly service on smaller ships, at least in my experience.

Edited by cruisemom42

Enjoy!

Any provider of goods or services interested in staying in business will charge the best (for him) price. People like Prinsendam enough to pay more for her. I like the size and layout of the ship and the cabin design. I believe the food and service is somewhat superior to that on other HAL ships. This sort of preference makes sense to me - I believe that value does not just come from low price - it is what you receive for the price paid. Additionally, there is an indirect value involved: I am more likely to be among a more compatible passenger mix if I sail a ship which has characteristics which I like and am willing to pay for: the other passengers are more likely to have similar general interests.

Enjoy!

Others have answered the economics of scale question (smaller ships are more expensive to run), and it is no secret I am a fan of this ship on the boards.

We have only had 80+days on her but all the cruises were marvellous. I do find the food is better than the other HAL ships.

Service is better but it's a small ship so it doesn't take the crew long to know you and our preferences.

This ship does different itineraries. She was built to sail the oceans and was not built by HAL. It's a different experience. You love her or hate her or are ambivalent but most love or hate.

Interestingly enough on our last cruise on her, we had several roll call members that had never sailed HAL. They did Azamara, Oceania, etc. So we had a meeting to listen to their thoughts and I expected to hear harsh words. Instead they rated the P'dam above Azamara and just below or on par with Oceania. (I posted this in my live thread at the time as well I believe). I was shocked.

We sailed Oceania last year and could have gone on the P'dam but O had the closer port and I thought it would be nice to try a "superior" experience on a "premium" cruise line. I should have listened to RuthC. I know things change from ship to ship and cruise to cruise but it was the first time I have ever been happy to get off a cruise ship. I am always ready to stay on the Prinsendam for another segment :D

If she has the same itinerary I saw for 2017 in 2018, we'll happily sail on her again :). DH will NOT sail on O again unless the cabins are free. LOL.

DH will NOT sail on O again unless the cabins are free. LOL.

Even at free, he still has to eat, and Oceania just doesn't make it on that score, either.

The Prinsendam is smaller, more intimate, and has fabulous itineraries. I find the food better than on the other HAL ships, and service is grand.

Others have answered the economics of scale question (smaller ships are more expensive to run), and it is no secret I am a fan of this ship on the boards.

We have only had 80+days on her but all the cruises were marvellous. I do find the food is better than the other HAL ships.

Service is better but it's a small ship so it doesn't take the crew long to know you and our preferences.

This ship does different itineraries. She was built to sail the oceans and was not built by HAL. It's a different experience. You love her or hate her or are ambivalent but most love or hate.

Interestingly enough on our last cruise on her, we had several roll call members that had never sailed HAL. They did Azamara, Oceania, etc. So we had a meeting to listen to their thoughts and I expected to hear harsh words. Instead they rated the P'dam above Azamara and just below or on par with Oceania. (I posted this in my live thread at the time as well I believe). I was shocked.

We sailed Oceania last year and could have gone on the P'dam but O had the closer port and I thought it would be nice to try a "superior" experience on a "premium" cruise line. I should have listened to RuthC. I know things change from ship to ship and cruise to cruise but it was the first time I have ever been happy to get off a cruise ship. I am always ready to stay on the Prinsendam for another segment :D

If she has the same itinerary I saw for 2017 in 2018, we'll happily sail on her again :). DH will NOT sail on O again unless the cabins are free. LOL.

Even at free, he still has to eat, and Oceania just doesn't make it on that score, either.

The Prinsendam is smaller, more intimate, and has fabulous itineraries. I find the food better than on the other HAL ships, and service is grand.

Wow, that's interesting as most feel Oceania has the best food at sea. In my 59 cruises, Oceania has by far the best cuisine. That includes nine HAL cruises, although I've never been on the P'dam.

This would make a great poll.

Thanks for all the info!

Wow, that's interesting as most feel Oceania has the best food at sea. In my 59 cruises, Oceania has by far the best cuisine. That includes nine HAL cruises, although I've never been on the P'dam.

This would make a great poll.

Thanks for all the info!

Oceania food is to die for. Holland America food does not compare. Prinsendam food and menus were pretty standard for the fleet.

Everyone has a different take on what good food is. Some very dear relatives love Applebees, when we took them to a regional fine dining restaurant they didn't care for it.

Edited by sammiedawg

Oceania food is to die for. Holland America food does not compare. Prinsendam food and menus were pretty standard for the fleet.

Everyone has a different take on what good food is. Some very dear relatives love Applebees, when we took them to a regional fine dining restaurant they didn't care for it.

Were you born with superior taste buds? Interesting.

Celebrity has shed five of their older ships (Horizon, Zenith, Century, Mercury & Galaxy) and replaced them with five Solstice class ships...

And that's the main reason why my wife & I no longer have any interest in cruising with Celebrity.;)

_______

To add my two cents' worth to the general discussion about ships' ages and sizes:

When, as a child, I first sailed on the real Rotterdam (V), she was the newest ship in the Holland America fleet--and the largest, at nearly 39,000 gross tons. Moreover, her design was considered daringly modern, notably on account of her twin uptake pipes in lieu of traditional funnels.

Even at a young age I was fascinated by ocean liners, and when my parents booked us on the Rotterdam, I recall being mightily disappointed that we weren't going to be sailing on the classic liner SS Nieuw Amsterdam (launched 1937; 36,000 gross tons) instead.

And these days we sing the praises of the "small" (39,000 gross tons), "old" (28 years) Prinsendam.