$99 economy plus

wombatjoey

from O's website for the $99 offer

We use the finest world carriers such as British Airways, Virgin Atlantic, Air France, Scandinavian Airlines, Air Canada and Icelandair.

They may use others I do not know or they can get you on other carriers but it may not be for the $99 deal

Best to talk to your TA or Oceania to see what works for your specific circumstances

Not a very impressive list to call the finest world carriers and, Bisabella, it is correct if a special offer like the $99 PE is not listed for the cruise you are looking at, the special offer does not apply to that cruise.

I didn't see it stated that it was. Does that mean it isn't offered?

Certainly not on Air Tahiti. And certainly not by Oceania at $99. You might check the Air France flight to Papeete..

Edited by PaulMCO

Not a very impressive list to call the finest world carriers and, Bisabella, it is correct if a special offer like the $99 PE is not listed for the cruise you are looking at, the special offer does not apply to that cruise.

bisabella;

A check of air Tahiti nui website does not show any PE service available on its flights, only economy and business class. So PE will not be available through them.

Disappointing, but thanks anyway.

Dave;

The list of airlines that offer true Premium Economy is fairly short. The vast majority of carriers, including all US carriers, do not offer that service. Even carriers such as Emirates Air do not offer P.E.

For carriers making the long haul such as QA to Australia, the PE seats they have available go fairly quickly, and I doubt they have any motivation to sell them to Oceania on a bulk rate far below their listed prices.

Dave;

The list of airlines that offer true Premium Economy is fairly short. The vast majority of carriers, including all US carriers, do not offer that service. Even carriers such as Emirates Air do not offer P.E.

For carriers making the long haul such as QA to Australia, the PE seats they have available go fairly quickly, and I doubt they have any motivation to sell them to Oceania on a bulk rate far below their listed prices.

BTW, what exactly do you get with the PE seats. Maybe I can plan my next trip with PE included!

Pinotlover

Agree with everything you said but a lot of "puffing" to call those carriers "the finest world carriers". As to icelandair we flew it this year and their business does not compare to most business classes and only a couple of PE seats the same as business but the ray a lot closer to economy

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Oceania has a list of carriers it uses that offers PE service. Review that list and see how you might get to your destination. Checking Oceania's list of carriers that offer P.E.,...

Can you tell me please where I can find that list. On their web site I tried the search box with 0 results and looked under FAQs 'air program' but no list. It would be helpful to know. TIA

Dave;

Indeed. The rule of thumb for Qantas is that a PE seat is around double the cost of an economy seat. So LAX - MEL return economy is around USD1,500, while premium economy is around USD3,200.

O don't include air for us in Australia, so this is all academic to me, but I have been somewhat perplexed reading this thread that O are able to offer an upgrade from economy to 'proper' premium economy for $99!

If that is true then its a no-brainer. But I struggle to believe that Qantas is allowing O to offer that deal on their planes at least.

This is a Qantas premium economy seat

On a 15 hour flight it makes a difference!

Can you tell me please where I can find that list. On their web site I tried the search box with 0 results and looked under FAQs 'air program' but no list. It would be helpful to know. TIA

See post #49

It may not be the complete list of airlines they use but it is what they have posted for the special offer

You are probably better to check with O for the cruise/routing you are doing for a definitive answer

Bissbella;

On QA, SAS, and AC, flights that I have flown true International Premium Economy, those seats are very similar to 1st Class Domestic seats on US carriers. They are not lay flats, as BC or 1st Class, but recline much further than Economy. Additionally, as stated, the seat size and space is similar to US domestic first class.

Service does vary between airlines, but typically the food in PE is similar to BC, however the beverage service (wines selection served with dinner) may be similar to those served in economy.

Trust me, the experiences are completely different. We opted not to pay for the QA $7K BC ticket on the 17 hour Airbus 380 trip between DFW and SID, but did do the $2500 (on sale) P.E. versus their economy. The difference between their PE and economy is the same as the difference between our domestic 1st Class and economy here in the States. The difference was well worth the cost on that 17 hour flight!

See post #49

I did. But just because I saw it does not mean I actually read it all. :-}

I saw the text in bold and it stuck in my mind

"We use the finest world carriers such as British Airways, Virgin Atlantic, Air France, Scandinavian Airlines, Air Canada and Icelandair."

And was thinking that was a marketing bit of what they generally use. I overlooked your first line ""from O's website for the $99 offer".

So thanks for that info AND for pointing it out.

Edited by YoHoHo

Bissbella;

On QA, SAS, and AC, flights that I have flown true International Premium Economy, those seats are very similar to 1st Class Domestic seats on US carriers. They are not lay flats, as BC or 1st Class, but recline much further than Economy. Additionally, as stated, the seat size and space is similar to US domestic first class.

Service does vary between airlines, but typically the food in PE is similar to BC, however the beverage service (wines selection served with dinner) may be similar to those served in economy.

Trust me, the experiences are completely different. We opted not to pay for the QA $7K BC ticket on the 17 hour Airbus 380 trip between DFW and SID, but did do the $2500 (on sale) P.E. versus their economy. The difference between their PE and economy is the same as the difference between our domestic 1st Class and economy here in the States. The difference was well worth the cost on that 17 hour flight!

Please forgive me but I cannot help myself here -

the airline code for Qantas is QF (not QA) and the airport code for Sydney is SYD (not SID)

Now I feel better :D

Please forgive me but I cannot help myself here -

the airline code for Qantas is QF (not QA) and the airport code for Sydney is SYD (not SID)

Now I feel better :D

Hopefully they do not book their own air or could end up in Cape Verde :eek:

We flew premium economy on Lufthansa using Oceania's upgrade this summer. Seating was in a separate section, and service was excellent. We paid the air deviation fee (always do, since we like to arrive a day or two early) and my TA had to do some negotiation to get us the Lufthansa PE...Oceania tried to route us through Atlanta on some US based carrier (probably Delta??) first, and the US carriers didn't have true PE at that time (maybe they still don't). But I was surprised that our Luftansa flights to and from Frankfurt were on a United aircraft and were true PE. Don't understand, but I saw the plane (sadly, we had to board from the tarmac in Frankfurt...)

Air France PE is super nice too. If you're going for the PE upgrade, suggest you try to use an international carrier.

... but I have been somewhat perplexed reading this thread that O are able to offer an upgrade from economy to 'proper' premium economy for $99!

If that is true then its a no-brainer. But I struggle to believe that Qantas is allowing O to offer that deal on their planes at least.

Bear in mind that the $99 pp each way promotion is not available on all cruises, only a selected few. It is possible that none are on any route Qantas flies or even if they do, O might not book you on them but an alternate carrier.

They might make this offer on cruises not selling as well as planned and as they don't want to lower the overall selling price subsidize PE instead.

Edited by YoHoHo

Has anyone flown lately in from Miami on Oceania air to the Mediterranean? Is it British Air that they use for Miami? I don't think AA has true premium economy. My cruise is in May but they haven't posted flights or a place where you can request deviation yet. Should be available by now..

All reports would be appreciated. I have been searching for days a way to go over business and come back economy without breaking the bank. Air is so expensive now it costs as much as the cruise or more!

If I was not a white knuckle flyer would not be so bad, but I need to at least feel somewhat protected with a business seat :) Yes I know - would not help but psychologically I feel better. AA pretty much gives no upgrades with miles lately. Every flight I check they say either it is too early or too late or I have to just wait and see.

Don't want to take that chance.

Has anyone flown lately in from Miami on Oceania air to the Mediterranean? Is it British Air that they use for Miami? I don't think AA has true premium economy. My cruise is in May but they haven't posted flights or a place where you can request deviation yet. Should be available by now..

They will use different carriers

Contact your TA (if you used one) & request the flight you want

Or ask what ones they will use for your dates & routing that have the PE seats

Oceania does not post flight details until about 75 days out unless you are deviating then you can start the process at about 270 days out

Bus seats with O will be pricey but is PE seat will work for you it might be an option

Edited by LHT28

All reports would be appreciated. I have been searching for days a way to go over business and come back economy without breaking the bank. Air is so expensive now it costs as much as the cruise or more!

If I was not a white knuckle flyer would not be so bad, but I need to at least feel somewhat protected with a business seat :) Yes I know - would not help but psychologically I feel better. AA pretty much gives no upgrades with miles lately. Every flight I check they say either it is too early or too late or I have to just wait and see.

Don't want to take that chance.

With Oceania sailing smaller ships from hundreds of departure ports, there literally IS NO TYPICAL. Oceania holds contracts with 4 or 5 airlines and they will fly you on the most economical route which allows a safe window for boarding in the embarkation city, unless you opt to deviate.

Deviation Requests are accepted as early as 270 days before sailing, so if your sailing is in May of 2017, you are wildly out of step with the process already.

Had you posted at the time that you booked, and mentioned that you required this degree of handholding, I would have suggested that you purchase the cruise through an Agent. Commissions for Travel Agents are paid by the Travel Seller, and their advice can be invaluable for this type of complex situation.

As it stands, if you are determined to fly Business, your choice is to either cancel the air with Oceania and use the stipend which they refund to purchase air privately or to pay the deviation fee now, and request that your air routing consist of an upgradeable class of ticket.

If you decide on the second option, it is worth your time to research those Airlines which offer reward seats on your desired route, and to be aware of the class of ticket which is needed to upgrade economically on those flights.

Those are the tickets which Oceania will need to purchase on your behalf, so it needs to be a part of your proposal to them when asking for the deviation.

If Oceania is unable (or unwilling) to obtain those tickets, then you are back to booking the air independently, again.

Good luck with your search