Need advice QUICK!

My cousin who has never cruised before has leukemia, but has been in remission for months. She just informed us at dinner that for her own protection she will be wearing her face mask and I'm scared that RCL will think she's sick and won't allow her on the ship. We board TOMORROW morning!! Am I overreacting? Will they trust her when she tells them its only for her own protection? Should she have contacted them sooner for asling for a letter explaining the face mask is acceptable? Thanks in advance for any help you may provide [emoji4]

Sent from my VS987 using Forums mobile app

My cousin who has never cruised before has leukemia, but has been in remission for months. She just informed us at dinner that for her own protection she will be wearing her face mask and I'm scared that RCL will think she's sick and won't allow her on the ship. We board TOMORROW morning!! Am I overreacting? Will they trust her when she tells them its only for her own protection? Should she have contacted them sooner for asling for a letter explaining the face mask is acceptable? Thanks in advance for any help you may provide [emoji4]

Should she have told them earlier?

Yes.

Will it be a problem?

I doubt it.

Hopefully she can convincingly pull off the line "I'm perfectly healthy, just a little paranoid about germs" if confronted by the medical staff. Because if she tells the truth which I assume to be "I just finished chemo xx months ago and may be still immuno-compromised" her chances for being denied boarding will skyrocket.

All I can tell you is unless you have or have had cancer, you don't know how frightening it is to go into crowded spaces with a compromised immune system. I stayed away from church, the mall, everywhere for months on end just to avoid people and germs. It is a very scary state of mind to be in, all while you are fighting for your life and trying to do what's best and to heal.

If the face mask makes her feel more comfortable, then I gently suggest you and your party get comfortable with it too. She is blessed to be alive and well and is probably looking forward to going on this cruise.

I would suggest she bring along a physician's note or similar, something from her oncologist would be good to have (and yes, I do hope she thought of this and planned to bring it with her).

I wish her and all of you the best. Have fun. :)

There are quite a few people here in California, especially in San Francisco, that wear paper face masks, for whatever reason. A lot of people wear dark tinted flip down face shields too. I've never thought to ask why.

If she fills out the questionnaire and answers honestly, I don't think that they will ask her why she chooses to wear one either.

Hopefully she can convincingly pull off the line "I'm perfectly healthy, just a little paranoid about germs" if confronted by the medical staff. Because if she tells the truth which I assume to be "I just finished chemo xx months ago and may be still immuno-compromised" her chances for being denied boarding will skyrocket.[/quote

Please explain why she may be denied boarding. She is not contagious or a threat to any other passengers. Many people have compromised immune systems and carry on almost normal lives. She doesn't have a cold or the flu.

Hopefully she can convincingly pull off the line "I'm perfectly healthy, just a little paranoid about germs" if confronted by the medical staff. Because if she tells the truth which I assume to be "I just finished chemo xx months ago and may be still immuno-compromised" her chances for being denied boarding will skyrocket.

Please give me just one reason to deny her boarding. Is she contagious or a health risk to the population aboard the ship?:rolleyes: Heck, she is far less likely to cause issues for the ship than someone with plugged up arteries getting ready to have a heart attack during the cruise.

My Husband is undergoing chemo right now. He has been receiving chemo for over six months. We leave Friday on our second cruise while undergoing chemo. The last was a cruise to the Norwegian Fjords, followed by a week in London. Never had anyone ask us about his physical condition.

We took his medical records and a letter from his oncologist. No one ask to see it.

Have a great time on your cruise!

How does she plan on handling the dining situation? Have to remove the mask to eat... and all dining venues are usually the MOST congested. :confused:

Room Service in her cabin or she could bring back her food from Windjammer or other eateries to eat there. ;)

Edited by robtulipe

• 2 weeks later...

She didn't have any issues at all :) She only took it off while eating and in pictures. I noticed a few people doing a double take, but no one gave her issues. We had a wonderful cruuse! Thank to all who contributed. For anyone in the future, I would have a doctors note even though my cousin didn't.

She didn't have any issues at all :) She only took it off while eating and in pictures. I noticed a few people doing a double take, but no one gave her issues. We had a wonderful cruuse! Thank to all who contributed. For anyone in the future, I would have a doctors note even though my cousin didn't.

Wonderful! Glad your family had a great time together and wish your cousin good health. [emoji5]