Amber Cove or Half Moon Cay

Luvoceans

HMC, no questions asked. Amber Cove is nice, but wouldn't book a cruise based on the fact that it was stopping there. Once was enough. If we're looking at cruises that stop at HMC, we'll book the cruise without hesitation.

If you are the type of cruiser who feels safe in artificially created "sea ports" insulated from the local environment, then Amber Cove is perfect for you. It is also a docking port. It has a pool, shopping and restaurants (for fee) but no beach. Cookie cutter structure, simiiar to Mahogany Bay.

Half Moon Cay has a wonderful beach, and Carnival Corporation has erected some structures on this pristine setting like cabinas and a pirate ship shaped bar. This is a tendering port. Very poor snorkeling from the beach, except down at the far end where the rocks are - not recommended due to the ocean currents around the bend.

IMO, HMC wins out over AMC, even if the ship cannot anchor and makes it a sea day!

If you are the type of cruiser who feels safe in artificially created "sea ports" insulated from the local environment, then Amber Cove is perfect for you. It is also a docking port. It has a pool, shopping and restaurants (for fee) but no beach. Cookie cutter structure, simiiar to Mahogany Bay.

Half Moon Cay has a wonderful beach, and Carnival Corporation has erected some structures on this pristine setting like cabinas and a pirate ship shaped bar. This is a tendering port. Very poor snorkeling from the beach, except down at the far end where the rocks are - not recommended due to the ocean currents around the bend.

IMO, HMC wins out over AMC, even if the ship cannot anchor and makes it a sea day!

Agreed just wish we got there more often, too many times we have had to miss HMC due to mother nature

Agreed just wish we got there more often' date=' too many times we have had to miss HMC due to mother nature[/quote']

Yep. We missed HMC on our cruise in January, then missed BOTH HMC & Amber Cove on our 11/6 Conquest sailing. HMC was missed due to high winds and swells; Amber Cove was missed due to torrential rains & flooding on their island (though beautiful weather for us on the ship).

HMC! I have never even BEEN to Amber Cover, but, from what I've seen, and what we experienced at HMC, HMC wins HANDS DOWN!!!!!:D:D

The sand is like baby powder, and the water is just colors of blue and green that you cannot even imagine. Just gorgeous!!!!!!:D

Enjoy whichever you choose!!:)

Been to both a few times, both could be considered a true island paradise, the sand, the blue-green water...

If I had to choose then I would probably choose HMC and rent a cabana for the complete package. That being said, we have enjoyed both ports for different reasons.

I have not been to Amber Cove, but been to HMC and it is THE perfect beach. The tender is not long either (unlike Belize for example) - if you can afford it, rent a Cabana (watch, because they are limited and sell out quickly). Enjoy !!

HMC by far! Amber Cove was OK, but it's not for me.

Ditto this times three! We've been to the Dominican Republic twice. Once at La Romana, and once at Amber Cove. I'm in no big hurry to go back again. HMC has one of the nicest beaches we've ever been to. Been there twice, and would go back again in a heartbeat!

and a terrific lazy river; some nice little cart-vendors back behind the stores.

Fun stage and bar area. Family fun just not at the beach.

Half Moon wins for me - it is really too beautiful for words, man-made or not, it is gorgeous! Fine sand, beautiful water...a place to let your cares float away. But it can be missed since it is a tender port.

Except Amber Cove doesn't really have a beach.

Hi evandbob! We are stopping at Amber Cove shortly. Is it free to use the pool and lazy river? Called Carnival a few times and never got an answer.

Thanks in advance

Heimey

Hi evandbob! We are stopping at Amber Cove shortly. Is it free to use the pool and lazy river? Called Carnival a few times and never got an answer.

Thanks in advance

Heimey

Have been to both HMC and AC. If you are a pool person, AC is the way to go. Yes, the pool is free. Really isn't a lazy river - pool has a slight current- that is all. No beach there. If you are a beach person, definitely HMC over AC. Even though you have to tender there, it really is nice!