Quality of food lower now on Princess

The reason I started this thread is we have been on 8 Princess cruises previously and my husband and I had thought the food was quite varied, presented nicely and had great flavor. This time it was lacking, seemed just ho hum. My husband and I don't regularly dine at upscale restaurants very casual and prefer neighborhood establishments. We do like varied menus and it seemed like it was pretty plain compared to the Ruby just last year and that was a 4 day. The year before that it was the Golden and that also was a 4 day. The food was fabulous and the menus varied. All of the others were 7 days and also no complaints. I only started this thread to see if other seasoned cruisers thought that there was a difference. I realize this cruise was a four day but if I book again and it is for a longer cruise I certainly wouldn't want these choices that were offered that's all.

As you found out, other seasoned cruisers who have recently been on the Crown feel the same as you. By the responses it seems like it is the Crown and not necessarily Princess.

We have always thought that Princess had great food in the MDR! We have NEVER ate in the buffet restaurants for dinner. We prefer to be served for dinner. For our next cruise we have chosen a Club Class mini-suite because of the "elevated" menu in the MDR! We have gone to the specialty restaurants on Princess and they have NOT been that exceptional compared to the MDR(Not worth the up charge), so if we can get an elevated menu in the MDR, we should be satisfied.

We never do "buffet" at home and when we go out for dinner, prefer more upscale fine dinning. The "chain" restaurants just don't do it for us, but each to their own,

Happy Cruising Everyone

We have found it hit or miss on each cruise. Some it's great. Others I'm like ***. On one a few years ago, EVERYTHING was curry. It became a joke because I love curry, but not that much. Curry pork. Curry lamb. Curry shrimp. Curry chicken.

Don't worry, beef curry!

Hope you give Princess another shot.

-Andrew :)

We just got off the Island Princess. Was interested in this thread because we found the MDR menus boring. There were some nights it was hard to make a decision because nothing sounded exciting.

That said, whatever we did order turned out to be excellent. Very nicely presented and delicious. Pleasantly surprised

We also ate in the HC. There would be different themed nights and they would be mentioned in the Patter so you could decide whether to eat in the MDR or the HC. We ate most lunches there. No complaints.

I liked the taste of the hamburgers at the Trident Grill but after a couple with grizzle in them, I stopped that. (And, yes, did let Princess know by filling out a comment form.)

We have upcoming sailings on the Grand and the Royal. The Grand is for the Mexican Riviera and is inexpensive compared to what we are paying for the Royal in the Med. Wonder how much of a difference we'll see in the food?

Just returned from a 4 day getaway cruise to Ensenada on the Crown.

I can't believe the food quality. It has gone way down since last year. Plus the choices are really not that great. My husband and I are not really picky eaters, but one night there was really nothing that even stood out. The Horizon court buffet at lunch seems like they have a lot of choices but it seems to be a lot of filler food. Very disappointed. I am wondering if it is just on the short cruises that they have cut back.

What do you all think?

Sorry to say your right :mad: I think it has gone down in the last couple of years and there has been a lot less choices in the MDR also.

Tony

I guess I'll share a bit. We have generally enjoyed our MDR meals on Princess. We avoid the buffet like the plague, primarily because we don't want to get the plague, and we don't buffet while at home, but that is topic for another thread. There are always one or two nights per cruise where the evening specialties don't exactly strike us as something we would seek out on our own, but we venture out of our comfort zone, try it, and are generally pleased.

My wife is of Asian heritage and has a fondness toward Vietnamese cuisine (an aside, paying more than $6 for a bowl of Pho or a Banh Mi sandwich is unthinkable as really good Pho should never cost more than $6, just keep that in mind if you are dining Vietnamese), and her only complaint about dining on board is that after a week or more of fancy continental cuisine, she has a big hankering for Asian food, but not sushi.

There is a recent thread here about the influence of the Curtis Stone menus on the whole MDR experience on Princess with various comments about whether the "new" menu items are good or poor, etc. I can't help but wonder if the OPs experience is the outcome of the Curtis Stone menu changes?

We have found it hit or miss on each cruise. Some it's great. Others I'm like ***. On one a few years ago, EVERYTHING was curry. It became a joke because I love curry, but not that much. Curry pork. Curry lamb. Curry shrimp. Curry chicken.

Don't worry, beef curry!

Hope you give Princess another shot.

-Andrew :)

Exiled as I am in the Curry desert that is Southern California, you can never have too much Curry! :D

I couldn't believe that most of the 28 days they served bok choy as the green vegetable. I love bok choy, but also love other green veggies.

I get the feeling that the ships get a big supply of one green vegetable and serve that every evening with every entree. I have been on voyages where asparagus was the daily green vegetable with every thing (and that is not a cheap veggie) and on voyages where the green vegetable of every day was green beans.

Well I guess you found the definition, so let me rephrase the filler food and say most of it was (I wonder what the heck it is)

You mean "mystery food"? Most Princess buffets have little signs above the food to tell you what it is.

Exiled as I am in the Curry desert that is Southern California, you can never have too much Curry! :D

Ha! I love it so much, but by mid-cruise I was ready for anything plain and bland!

On our 28 day cruise on the Crown there were several spots in the HC that had no label at all.

That really confuses some people. Without a sign they can't make any decisions & just stand there with a blank look on their face. :D

I just slip in along side of them grab & move on. ;)

Most of that looks pretty good to me!

I read the definition and I'm having a hard time figuring out how this is a bad thing on a cruise ship where healthy choices are often tossed overboard. Seems like Princess should be applauded and not criticized.

Eating lower calorie foods that fill you up can help you cut your calories and control your hunger at the same time. Adding more filler foods to your diet while reducing energy-dense foods can help you reach and keep a healthy body weight.

Edited by JimmyVWine