Grand injured

PonyPair

It is the Sirena.

Yep, I agree. It looks like all the ships give good AIS position reports as they sail by Bahia Tortugas and then go dark again. Currently showing there on marinetraffic are Sirena just over 12 hours ago, Grand Princess 5-1/2 hours ago, and Norwegian Jewel four hours ago. The speeds reported there have Grand Princess about five knots faster than Sirena so that 6-1/2 hour difference there is down to about 4-1/2 hours now.

Unfortunately, it appears I was wrong about the unnamed satellite position report. That now looks to be another ship (haven't figured out which one) that is about four hours ahead of Grand. There is a good position report from Grand from five hours ago and I've found another current unnamed satellite report about 100 nm ahead of it so that one should be Grand (5 hours at 20 knots = 100nm). As I write this at 9:30pm Cabo time, it's still about 320 nm from Cabo which will be about 16 hours. So let's call it 1:30pm for Cabo arrival.

If what I think is Grand is, it's now about 90 nm from Cabo. Call it five hours to go so let's make it a 12:30pm arrival estimate.

Edited by lstone19
Updated distance to go

Yep, I agree. It looks like all the ships give good AIS position reports as they sail by Bahia Tortugas and then go dark again. Currently showing there on marinetraffic are Sirena just over 12 hours ago, Grand Princess 5-1/2 hours ago, and Norwegian Jewel four hours ago. The speeds reported there have Grand Princess about five knots faster than Sirena so that 6-1/2 hour difference there is down to about 4-1/2 hours now.

They go dark because satellite coverage is poor .

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They go dark because satellite coverage is poor .

Uh, no. AIS satellite coverage is near universal over the entire earth. What consumer tracking sites like marinetraffic get is the normal AIS signal, which relies on a line of sight VHF signal to a land station. So, if the ship is more than 20-25 miles from a shore station (not just from land, but from a station), then there will be no update. Satellite AIS is provided for government agencies for maritime security uses, and consumer sites like marinetraffic, which "sell" satellite AIS for a fee, only get one update per 24 hours, while the government agencies around the world get real time updates from the satellites.

Yes .. the one and only Crazy Astronomy Guy!!

We were on her as well.

Spent alot of evenings in the Diamond lounge with ya............really enjoyed it!!!!! Hope to sail with y'all again!!!!!!

Sharon

Well, it made it to Cabo. Bridgecam shows it at anchor. Probably arrived around 11:00am Cabo time or two hours late. Even if they extend the Cabo port call two hours, it should be on-time for Mazatlan tomorrow and back to schedule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a free site that covers the area in the middle of the Pacific out of range of VHF or UHF.

Really? Would you please share that with the rest of us?

Yes, please share the info. Very interested to follow ships in that area.

Theo

I got lost as to exactly where the Grand is. I'm still not sure of the itinerary but it looks like she's heading to Cabo. Usually that's the last stop before heading back to home port.

grand_bridge.jpg?1482595843381

What kind of magic allows you to post a bridge cam shot labelled 12/25 on 12/24? Is that an automated link that takes you to the "live" bridge cam?

What kind of magic allows you to post a bridge cam shot labelled 12/25 on 12/24? Is that an automated link that takes you to the "live" bridge cam?

The img tag in that post points at the dynamic (live) file on Princess servers rather than a static image.

http://www.princess.com/webcam/grand_bridge.jpg

Edited by triptolemus

I use a free site that covers the area in the middle of the Pacific out of range of VHF or UHF.

There is a site that gives you those pictures. Also Princess also has the same pictures.

Try for pictures of ship cams and live port cams

www.kroozcam.com

OK we know you're still reading this thread. How 'bout the link to that special free site that track ships outside the VHF/UHF range? :D

And BTW, that kroozcam.com link is a red-herring. The page is a list of links that take you to travel sites, except for the WEBCAM link which takes you to links to sex sites. Not real good.:mad:

Edited by beg3yrs

And BTW, that kroozcam.com link is a red-herring. The page is a list of links that take you to travel sites, except for the WEBCAM link which takes you to links to sex sites. Not real good.:mad:

That wasn't the correct website for Krooz Cams. This is.

http://www.kroooz-cams.com/

I just tried it and it works fine.

According to the time hack on his post he posted the picture today, 25 Dec not the 24th. You fixed wing guys, we gotta keep you up to date. <sigh> ;)

Hope you're having a good holiday season!

Tom

Here is the link to the website I use. You'll in mid ocean that are out of range of land based detectors.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-130/centery:47/zoom:5

Thanks for the reply. That's the same site most of us are using. The AIS system as chengkp75 said is VHF/UHF based and reports using that are free. Ships you see outside that range are reporting via satellite and you get very minimal information unless you sign up for the premium service. All you really know is the type of ship and where it is. No name, destination, speed and so on.

Here is the link to the website I use. You'll in mid ocean that are out of range of land based detectors.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-130/centery:47/zoom:5

Uh...That data is delayed for you just like it is for everyone else. I'm not sure why you think you're special...everyone uses MarineTraffic.

According to the time hack on his post he posted the picture today, 25 Dec not the 24th. You fixed wing guys, we gotta keep you up to date. <sigh> ;)

Hope you're having a good holiday season!

Tom

Well Tom, what are you, a rotor head? If so, your brains may have been rattled a bit too much! ;)

The original Elliair post I quoted and asked about was posted on 24 Dec. I didn't see it until the 25th and the bridge cam was showing a Dec 25 time stamped bridge cam view. Now that same original post, still dated 12/24, is showing a bridge cam shot time stamped 12/28, so my theory of an imbedded link to the "live" bridge cam was correct.

Please note that there is a difference between the date/time the entry was posted on the CC forum and the time stamp of the bridge cam view, which by the way, is actually GMT.

This fixed wing guy IS up to date even though I am getting close to being over the hill :)

Apology accepted :D

Merry/Happy

Edited by Av8tor