Celebrity Edge's Blocks Are In The House!

Lloyd555

It’s called an interlocking design and I believe the Solstice Class were the first ships to introduce it. Now it is fairly standard although not every new ship has adopted it. The newest Princess and Carnival ships are still the standard rectangle.

Why is it done? Revenue of course. When the Solstice Class ships were under construction, Royal Caribbean/Celebrity made a pretty big deal about the interlocking design, and how it enables about 10 more cabins per deck compared to standard rectangle cabins in the same amount of space.

Thanks as always for your great feedbacks and insights.

Looks great. It's interesting that the six tenders actually look lower profile than the lifeboats. Usually it's the other way around.

I didn't notice that until someone on another thread mentioned that he had switched deck 6 cabins to be over a tender since they looked like they had lower profiles than the lifeboat he had originally been overlooking. I thought he had it backwards until I looked at his picture of the two cabin windows. :D

I didn't notice that until someone on another thread mentioned that he had switched deck 6 cabins to be over a tender since they looked like they had lower profiles than the lifeboat he had originally been overlooking. I thought he had it backwards until I looked at his picture of the two cabin windows. :D

It's interesting because even the davits are different for the lifeboats compared to the tenders. The davits for the lifeboats go much higher and will cause more of an obstruction.

It's interesting because even the davits are different for the lifeboats compared to the tenders. The davits for the lifeboats go much higher and will cause more of an obstruction.

At first glance I thought they were lower since those are the ones they used during the recent ship tour. However the third from from the front that is still covered also appears lower.

I think some people, including me, are just saying to give the ship a chance including the IV cabins. I would welcome both positive and negative comments and reviews from those people who are on the initial sailings who have actually experienced everything.

Interesting, are the people expressing some concerns about the Edge IV cabins more or less annoying than those complaining about the people who have voiced concerns or questions. I know where my vote goes.

So true but back to the ship. The lifeboats are double deckers. Reason for higher profile and there are more tenders than lifeboats. Not a complaint but an observation

Edited to add: the more I look at other images, the more I am thinking that perhaps the table top can be flipped over to get the handles out of the way (either way, it seems that the designers were aware of the desire that many passengers have with regard to room service tray placement). I think we need to give the talented folk who dreamt up and created this ship a chance for their work to be experienced and reviewed by real passengers prior to making assumptions. There's a reason why some developers will not allow their property to be viewed prior to absolute completion.

As much I tend to agree with you on giving "the talented folk" a chance to mess up the utilities in the staterooms, I am wondering - what was wrong with the old glass top oval tables of the S class? Now we have an ingenious design of flip-over plastic cheap IKEA table, that a)cannot be lifted by the top to move it (because the top obviously is detached from the three-prong leg podium), and b)why would I need to flip it with handles up in the first place?! What is the use of those handles to be flipped up and down?

At least on the part of this odd piece and even more odd socket box - I believe the talented folk have dreamt too much and too long...

Sorry, I did not mean to be disrespectful on your account, I just got flipped like that IKEA table...

I think some people, including me, are just saying to give the ship a chance including the IV cabins. I would welcome both positive and negative comments and reviews from those people who are on the initial sailings who have actually experienced everything.

Well I’ll be in an IV on November 27th and will report back. Of course it’s a two day cruise so storage won’t be an issue.;)

Interesting, are the people expressing some concerns about the Edge IV cabins more or less annoying than those complaining about the people who have voiced concerns or questions. I know where my vote goes.

I do voice concerns, not cheers, because this is my nature as an engineer and as a scientist. I am with Celebrity for many, many times (Elite Plus), and will sail on Edge in January - pretty certain that I will thoroughly enjoy it. I do enjoy cruising just as much as all of those who - perhaps - would find my comments bitching and moaning. I do want to find a discussion of things that, from my point of view, could have been, or will be eventually done better on Edge, this is the sole reason of my critical points.

For those who prefer to be cheerful but who would take with you to Edge things to enjoy the cruise even more, specifically:

- Duct tape

- Blind curtains with rods

- Extension cords

- Eye blinders

- Collapsible storage boxes

- Folding lounge chairs

etc etc etc...

...I wish you to enjoy the cruise and just skip my posts! :p:p:p

I do voice concerns, not cheers, because this is my nature as an engineer and as a scientist. I am with Celebrity for many, many times (Elite Plus), and will sail on Edge in January - pretty certain that I will thoroughly enjoy it. I do enjoy cruising just as much as all of those who - perhaps - would find my comments bitching and moaning. I do want to find a discussion of things that, from my point of view, could have been, or will be eventually done better on Edge, this is the sole reason of my critical points.

For those who prefer to be cheerful but who would take with you to Edge things to enjoy the cruise even more, specifically:

- Duct tape

- Blind curtains with rods

- Extension cords

- Eye blinders

- Collapsible storage boxes

- Folding lounge chairs

etc etc etc...

...I wish you to enjoy the cruise and just skip my posts! :p:p:p

I think you missed my point.:confused:

I think you missed my point.:confused:

No, I did not, I know that you have said the right thing :) I appreciate your comment, sincerely. I used it to reply because your post was the last dealing with the "negativity" and "positivity" of recent posts on IV layout and furniture...

(and my apologies for double post, it happens every now and then)

So true but back to the ship. The lifeboats are double deckers. Reason for higher profile and there are more tenders than lifeboats. Not a complaint but an observation

@kearney - I am somewhat confused; does it mean that there will be different types of "boats" on Edge - tenders AND lifeboats?

So far what was shown on Lloyd's pics and USA Today pics is a single-deck big tender/life boat, which can hold about 90 (give or take, it is hard to count the rows but I figured there was 11-12 rows by 8 seats) people inside the boat, and it seems that it does not have a staircase to the "upper deck"...

f95ed743-799d-4461-868b-f1fa7fa181cf-DSC_4340.jpg?width=520&height=390&fit=bounds&auto=webp

c0b6ec04-d85a-4ff3-b730-83f8312940cf-DSC_4350.jpg?width=520&height=390&fit=bounds&auto=webp

(the second photo shows the front - just to confirm that there is no stairs to the upper deck outside...)

I see small rails in the photos (perhaps so small as to not be very functional for keeping taller items from tipping off?). Will be interesting to see what sort of (if any) doored storage is available under the sink or elsewhere in the bathrooms. Couples / pairs traveling together may like this "shelving parity" when compared to S Class ships where there was only one side of higher level shelving.

@jsea - thank you for pointing out to these, I honestly didn't even notice these "lips" in the pics :) You are right, I think they could barely stop anything taller than 3-4 inches from falling down (unless one uses additional boxes or pouches etc.). Interestingly, I am fairly certain that in the earlier youtube video made by one of the TA in the IV demo unit - not in the real stateroom of the Edge - the shelves did not have even these small lips; but I might be wrong.

From that very video I remember that under the sink they have a big - side to side - open shelf, which could be useful for storing odd things, e.g. snorkeling gear (I always have trouble with finding a proper space for it!) and so on.

Thanks for letting me know! I’ll share that on the thread about lifeboat obstructions - may make the tender davit people feel a little better.

@kearney - I am somewhat confused; does it mean that there will be different types of "boats" on Edge - tenders AND lifeboats?

So far what was shown on Lloyd's pics and USA Today pics is a single-deck big tender/life boat, which can hold about 90 (give or take, it is hard to count the rows but I figured there was 11-12 rows by 8 seats) people inside the boat, and it seems that it does not have a staircase to the "upper deck"...

f95ed743-799d-4461-868b-f1fa7fa181cf-DSC_4340.jpg?width=520&height=390&fit=bounds&auto=webp

c0b6ec04-d85a-4ff3-b730-83f8312940cf-DSC_4350.jpg?width=520&height=390&fit=bounds&auto=webp

(the second photo shows the front - just to confirm that there is no stairs to the upper deck outside...)

The picture you show is of one of the Tenders which are one level. They hold 132 persons as a Tender and 223 when used as a Live Boat.

See closeup photo below.

3ab56686d9114793e2d308b6a39275e1.jpg

Edit - Sorry the answer to your first question is yes there are two types. 1. -dedicated Life Boats 2. primarily as Tender but can double as a Lifeboat

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Tall-Cruiser

I decided to do some close scrutinizing. Indeed one can find things that seem unsatisfactory, not necessarily to everyone but to some people. It's okay. Different strokes for different folks, if you will. What concerns me might not concern you and vice versa. It's all good. Here's what I'm seeing.

The telephone cord is too long for it's placement next to the bed. For a sound sleeper with restless leg syndrome, you might just get caught up in that cord, toe dial room service at 3:00am and tie yourself to the bed trying to get free. At the same time, the cord is not long enough. If I want to sit on my infinite balcony drinking a Bluefish Martini, inhaling the fresh sea air and talking to one of you good folks about all these deficiencies, I can't.

If the bed is near the bathroom, the picture over the sofa near the balcony is distorted and rendered unattractive by the glare from the daylight. Perhaps this set-up should be for nighttime cruises only.

I'm hoping the toilet paper is an over, not an under. No pictures of that yet. I'm assuming it is ambidextrous in it's unraveling.

In all the pictures, people are wearing hard hats on the decks. I hope this is not a new requirement that whenever we are outside, we must wear a hard hat. If that's the case, I'll have to bring two bathing suits. A hard hat does not go with a European Speedo. Got to wear board shorts with that.

In the cabin pictures, looking toward the door. In some there is a person standing there. Like Air Marshalls, are these folks Sea Marshalls? I don't know about you, but I don't want anyone standing inside my door all night. I'll settle for less safety and more privacy. That's just me.

Finally, those large elephant ear thingies ( I called X, that's what they're called), what are they for? Reminds me of props used in some fancy Las Vegas Show Girl shows. Actually, never mind. They might not be too bad after all....just sayin'.

I'm glad I wasn’t drinking my coffee when I read this... lol.

I don’t know how many of you were on CC when the Solstice was being built at Meyer Werft in Germany. Those of us who were the first to book her or just interested in a new build were able to watch the construction via a webcam. There were no inside photos, videos, etc., just a lot of discussion about the exterior areas of the ship. Then X began to release info about the interior with artists renderings of the public spaces and cabins. Back in 2008, X chose 3 female architects to design the Solstice. Reading the comments on CC today about the Edge, I hear echoes of those from 2008: “Why did X choose designers who have never been on a cruise?” “There's not enough storage space”. “Who came up with that idea, putting storage space above the bed?!? Etc., etc..

Imo, the S-class ships turned out to be a success. While some cruisers like us love them, others found them not to be their cup of tea and returned to their favorites, the M-class. I think the Edge class will be another success for X.

It is hard to deal with change sometimes. To us the S-class ships are like a vacation home, everything feels comfortable and familiar, you can’t wait to go back. The Edge is different, new and exciting. There may be things that I will miss from the S-class ships, but that remains to be seen. I am keeping an open mind about everything.

I don’t want to speculate or pass judgment until I have actual first hand experience. Though it is interesting to read the comments and speculations posted here about the Edge, I'm looking forward to feeling like a kid at Christmas. 😉

Tall-Cruiser provided an excellent response but to add to it:

Cruise ships have had lifeboats and “tenders” for decades now. The former typically being used by passengers only in emergencies and the latter for use during tendering operations and also emergencies.

Tenders are typically roomier with bigger/more windows. If you look at an exterior profile shot of a Solstice Class ship, for example, you will see three larger boats with black stripes just forward of the “bump out”. Those are tenders.

Celebrity is trying to elevate the design and passenger experience of tenders above the current standard with Edge Class.

I'm glad I wasn’t drinking my coffee when I read this... lol.

I don’t know how many of you were on CC when the Solstice was being built at Meyer Werft in Germany. Those of us who were the first to book her or just interested in a new build were able to watch the construction via a webcam. There were no inside photos, videos, etc., just a lot of discussion about the exterior areas of the ship. Then X began to release info about the interior with artists renderings of the public spaces and cabins. Back in 2008, X chose 3 female architects to design the Solstice. Reading the comments on CC today about the Edge, I hear echoes of those from 2008: “Why did X choose designers who have never been on a cruise?” “There's not enough storage space”. “Who came up with that idea, putting storage space above the bed?!? Etc., etc..

Imo, the S-class ships turned out to be a success. While some cruisers like us love them, others found them not to be their cup of tea and returned to their favorites, the M-class. I think the Edge class will be another success for X.

It is hard to deal with change sometimes. To us the S-class ships are like a vacation home, everything feels comfortable and familiar, you can’t wait to go back. The Edge is different, new and exciting. There may be things that I will miss from the S-class ships, but that remains to be seen. I am keeping an open mind about everything.

I don’t want to speculate or pass judgment until I have actual first hand experience. Though it is interesting to read the comments and speculations posted here about the Edge, I'm looking forward to feeling like a kid at Christmas. 😉

Silhouette was our first Celebrity ship and I remember watching her grow from a small piece of metal to her naming ceremony. It was quite emotional to be honest ! I think all of the speculation and chat on here is all part of the fun of waiting for a new ship to launch. I too remember the moans about storage and ironically when we were on Connie last month we could see why as that ship had enough storage space for 10 in her cabin !!

As you know we have had a moan or two but we know we will go and make the best of things. Have yet to find a perfect ship (or hotel come to think of it) and I am sure that Edge won't be one either. The most important thing is that she floats and gets us from A to B safely ;)

As much I tend to agree with you on giving "the talented folk" a chance to mess up the utilities in the staterooms, I am wondering - what was wrong with the old glass top oval tables of the S class? Now we have an ingenious design of flip-over plastic cheap IKEA table, that a)cannot be lifted by the top to move it (because the top obviously is detached from the three-prong leg podium), and b)why would I need to flip it with handles up in the first place?! What is the use of those handles to be flipped up and down?

At least on the part of this odd piece and even more odd socket box - I believe the talented folk have dreamt too much and too long...

Sorry, I did not mean to be disrespectful on your account, I just got flipped like that IKEA table...

I'm wondering if they will bring you your food etc on a tray like that which will just be swapped with the one on the balcony ... if that makes sense . Just a thought