Trip Insurance & the Pre-Existing Clause

MaxeyMom

I always buy trip insurance but have never had to use it. I was wondering about the pre-existing condition clause and if using a previously purchased Future Cruise Deposit would keep you from qualifying.

To make myself clear

You reserve a cruise months in advance using a Future Cruise Deposit purchased on a cruise two years ago. When it comes time for the final (and only payment) for the cruise you desire to purchase trip insurance--not from HAL from another company. That travel insurance company states it will wave the pre-existing condition exclusion if you purchase the travel insurance within 15 days of the original deposit, etc. etc. Will they call the 100 dollar FCD your first payment and thereby not allow preexisting conditions? Has anyone (Heaven forbid) had a medical issue and had to deal with this issue to get coverage?

Hope I made the issue clear. Any experience appreciated.

My guess would be the date you made the reservation. No outside insurance has asked me for credit card receipts of the booking recently. That was the first actual date of the reservation.....the other is kind of like a "coupon." I know its not, but no reservation existed until you booked a specific trip.

I would email insuremytrip.com or squaremouth.com so you have the information in writing; though I suspect they will never understand FCD or such.

Am I missing the boat? FCD and your extra deposit (if you are on a longer cruise) are refundable up to x time, right?

So, if that is still the case as long as you book your insurance in the time frame required it should be a non issue? But do call.

My insurance does not consider my FCD non refundable FWIW. YMMV.

You did not get that Future Cruise Deposit for free.

You had to pay for it via a credit card.

Thus when you use them, you are making a deposit on a cruise. So when you buy most insurance policies, you usually have to buy the policy within 15 days of that deposit. Not at final payment time.

If the deposits are still refundable by x time, then they are the same as paying cash at the time of deposit no? At least, that is what I was told. Why the OP needs to call IMO and make sure it is clarified.

My insurance company is not concerned until the deposit is non refundable. They don't care how the deposit is made ;). It might be different in the U.S. And different with different insurance companies - always wise to check. Everyone's experience may be different.

Edited by kazu

Seriously, you need to contact your insurance company to get the answer to your question. Regardless of the advice you get here (even if it is correct), it is the insurer who makes the definitive decision; not anyone here.

I, too, was also concerned about the issue the OP posed. The onboard Cruise Consultant stated that I was not depositing a specific cruise. Therefore, I was not putting the Waiver at risk by not buying a travel insurance policy within the 15 day time limit. There was no cruise to insure. My travel agent gave me the same assurance when I booked the cruise that used the Future Cruise Deposit. God willing, I will not have to use that policy that I then bought during the cruise that the policy covers. I am comfortable with what I have done and am not worried.

Others advice for the OP to contact a specific insurance company from whom a policy might be purchased and ask them is advice that I support. It ought to give the OP peace of mind.

As others have said, you need to contact the companies. Their policies say that the insurance must be purchased within a certain time, usually 14 days, of "initial trip deposit," and usually go on to say "must be the first and only booking during this period." Usually on your booking confirmation it gives the date of deposit. Likely that is the date you need to look at. But look at HAL's plan. It does not include a "pre-existing condition" clause and also has a "cancel for any reason" clause.

Excellent question. Would suggest you contact the insurance company rather than rely upon advice from the internet.

Agreed. My gut says it will be based on when you booked this cruise and placed the FCD on it... the date you got your current cruise booking number. But regardless of anyone's gut it will depend directly on what your travel insurance provider considers it to be

OP didn't state whether the FCD was for a specific cruise. If so, I would think it dates back to that date. If it is a general FCD, that does not constitute a booking on any specific cruise. I would think, therefore, that the time runs only from booking a specific cruise.

This is a fantastic advantage for the cruise line's protection.

The cruise line protection is very basic. The basic plan provides no medical coverage and the Platinum plan limits out at $10,000. The medical evacuation insurance is only $50,000 which may/may not be sufficient.

If you have booked a cruise costing $1500 PP, the standard plan costs about $129 PP and the Platinum Plan costs around $159 PP.

BTW, Medicare provides absolutely nothing if you're out of the country.

You seem to have lost the thread of the discussion. Here's a reminder of what I was referring to:

But look at HAL's plan. It does not include a "pre-existing condition" clause and also has a "cancel for any reason" clause.
The disadvantages of the cruise line's protection do not cause its advantages to cease to exist from the reality.

OP didn't state whether the FCD was for a specific cruise. If so, I would think it dates back to that date. If it is a general FCD, that does not constitute a booking on any specific cruise. I would think, therefore, that the time runs only from booking a specific cruise.

This appears to be a correct reading: as long as that FCD was correctly viewed as a credit to be applied at the time a particular cruise was booked, and not as an initial payment for that particular cruise, the time should only run from the booking. Otherwise, it could be argued that the time you started saving for a cruise would be the trigger date.

I didn't understand why you said that HAL's cancellation plan is a fantastic advantage for the cruise line's protection. HAL is still going to get paid if there is a non-insured cancellation after final payment. Did I misunderstand you?

Yes.

I asked you, courteously, to explain your previous statement because I did not understand it. I was not challenging it. If you did not wish to explain yourself, you should not not have posted a statement that is not self-explanatory. Your responses have been rude.

Your responses have been rude.
Not at all. They've been courteous and cautious. I asked you specifically what needed to be explained, and the fact that you attacked me in return indicates that you never sincerely were interested in a clarification. If you must condemn comments then condemn your own.

This appears to be a correct reading: as long as that FCD was correctly viewed as a credit to be applied at the time a particular cruise was booked, and not as an initial payment for that particular cruise, the time should only run from the booking. Otherwise, it could be argued that the time you started saving for a cruise would be the trigger date.

And, somehow, I can see some insurance defense counsel demanding just that: "And, when Mrs. Cruiser, did you actually start thinking about this cruise and saving for it!"