Food regulations bringing food on board

bigjay

I don't think there are any restrictions about bringing food ONTO the ship...but you will NOT be allowed to take it off again...either eat it, or dispose of it. Not sure why you'd need to bring those items, tho...they have that stuff on the ship!

I know folks have brought cakes, flowers, etc...ONTO the ship. They are not allowed OFF the ship again, tho.

Edited by cb at sea

Except for extreme medical circumstances they will not hold anything in their kitchens. The old cabin fridges do not go below 40F, the newer ones (Miracle) might be better.

Beyond that, you can bring almost anything onboard. Last cruise we brought onboard cookies from port. We brought on fresh mango during our HI cruise.

Edited by SadieN

We will have a large group for a bon voyage party and we're not sure if we could get shrimp and cheese and all that first afternoon if we are able to that would be great we would like like to do this on the cheap not have to go to the ship prices Thanks for your quick responses J

Edited by bigjay

We have always bought factory sealed cookies, crackers, chips and candy for our room and in our carry on , we would carry our wine and sodas in our Empty cooler. This last cruise we did same but one person in our party was not allowed to bring her cooler because it was too large so she had to remove the food items and throw the cooler away unless she wanted to take it back to the car. That said I don't know there is a restriction on food, just the container has to fit the scanner and of course has to be sealed .

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Except for extreme medical circumstances they will not hold anything in their kitchens. The old cabin fridges do not go below 40F, the newer ones (Miracle) might be better.

Beyond that, you can bring almost anything onboard. Last cruise we brought onboard cookies from port. We brought on fresh mango during our HI cruise.

They have never nor will they ever under any circumstances hold any medication, drugs or insulin in a unsecured location such as a kitchen. All controlled items must be in your cabin medi-fridge or cooler, ice container or bagged and tagged stored in the infirmary.

They request you make prior arrangements via special needs and they will have a medi-fridge in your cabin waiting if one is available.

Per carnival's website:

"Food Items must be pre-packaged and unopened; homemade items or pre-cooked foods will not be permitted onboard. Limitations on permitted food items are directly related to concerns for food safety and contamination prevention. We are unable to provide food preparation, refrigeration or storage for personal food or beverage items"

Also mentions that fish of all kinds are prohibited from being brought onboard.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2261/kw/beverage

gosh, you're on a cruise ship, a cornucopia of food. There are so many room service options and the Lido Deck, why the need to bring food

There were a couple of instances where they did hold food--- one guy literally could only digest goat milk in various forms and a child/young adult with severe food sensory issues.

We bring on some snacks because of food allergies and once, we were unable to biard til 5pm.

Hello are there any regulations about bringing food on board such as shrimp cheese and other appetizers Thanks in advance J

do you have a large wrap around balcony? cant imagine other places where you will have a large group for sail away.

I suggest bringing crackers.. and going to the lido buffet at lunch and take the food from there.

Most ships have a sail away party that is rather fun== where you get to meet your ship crew

As others have noted, USPH regulations require that only pre-packaged food be brought onboard, as USPH requires that all food sources be certified. In cases where a specific food item is required for medical or dietary reasons, contacting special needs and they will ensure that the particular brand or type of product is provided. As for hors d'oeuvres, you need to contact "group services" to arrange a platter for your group. Shellfish is especially regulated, with regards to source and temperature during transit.

All of these posts about only sealed prepackaged food being allowed are simply not accurate.

I've sailed 39 times on Carnival and after the first 2 or 3 cruises I began to bring homemade Chex mix, cookies and trail mix. Always in my carry on and never had it questioned.

All of these posts about only sealed prepackaged food being allowed are simply not accurate.

I've sailed 39 times on Carnival and after the first 2 or 3 cruises I began to bring homemade Chex mix, cookies and trail mix. Always in my carry on and never had it questioned.

Actually, they are accurate, even to Carnival's own FAQ's. It is a USPH regulation that all food onboard be from verifiable sources, i.e. factory packaged or from known vendors. Whether you have gotten away with it for over 30 cruises is not really relevant, as the next time you do it, you may find them confiscated, so it's best not to tell someone that they can count on it.

There were a couple of instances where they did hold food--- one guy literally could only digest goat milk in various forms and a child/young adult with severe food sensory issues.

We bring on some snacks because of food allergies and once, we were unable to biard til 5pm.

The snacks prevented you from boarding sooner? What kinds of snacks were they?

The snacks prevented you from boarding sooner? What kinds of snacks were they?

No. We're not breakfast eaters. Fully intended to eat onboard.

We were prevented from boarding because one couple was still showing onboard from the previous cruise.

Turns out they left the ship on a sea day![emoji33]

Edited by SadieN

Well then you were lucky.

I tried to bring some homemade gluten free cookies on board and they were confiscated by security in Galveston. It was a gift from the people who dropped us off at the pier. I knew there was a good chance it was a no go, but was I supposed to tell my friend I would not accept them as she thrust them in my hands as I said goodbye?

The unopened box of gluten free crackers, can of nuts and bag of gluten free pretzels were allowed.

Edited by DebJ14

My post was from carnivals website, sealed foods allowed only. So, yes, accurate that that is the policy. Just because you have been able to bring something on doesn't mean there's no policies about it. With OP wanting to bring on a shrimp and cheese platter, I think that might stand out a bit more than homemade Chex mix.

Many people like to comment that they make sandwiches off the buffet food to eat on shore and never had an issue, doesn't mean that they aren't breaking customs laws (most countries don't allow open meat or cheese brought in).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums