Main Dinning hall for breakfast

pembo6

Do you need to book a time on Msriner of the seas, to have breakfast in the main dining room?

Also, what is the dress standard for breakfast? Pants and shirt? Or are nice shorts and tshirt allowed?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do you need to book a time on Msriner of the seas, to have breakfast in the main dining room?

Also, what is the dress standard for breakfast? Pants and shirt? Or are nice shorts and tshirt allowed?

Thanks.

No reservations.

Anything except nudity, bathing suits and bare feet.

Shorts/tees/ flip-flops are fine at breakfast and lunch in the dining room. Ever so much nicer than the buffet!

I like that you aren't searching for jam, or syrup or butter while your food is getting cold...all your condiments will be on the table!!

Each evening you'll receive a newspaper for the next day's events ... it'll tell you the hours when breakfast'll be served in the buffet and the hours when breakfast'll be served in the main dining room. The hours won't be the same every day; for example, the MDR will offer longer hours on at-sea days, when people tend to sleep in.

Comments on those two options -- both have their pros and cons:

- The buffet opens earlier, stays open later.

- The buffet is quicker, and you can easily get a table to yourself. The exception: The buffet will be packed one hour before the ship docks at an island ... everyone's trying to eat just before leaving the ship.

- No need to wander around the buffet searching for your condiments; they're grouped logically with the appropriate items (for example, syrup is placed next to pancakes).

- We're big fruit eaters, and we like picking our own fruit; for example, my kids don't like fresh pineapple (yeah, something's wrong with them), so they can fill a bowl with just cantelope ... whereas the MDR will bring a bowl of mixed fruit, and they just get a bite or two of what they really like ... and they leave all the pineapple.

- Wait staff wanders around the buffet serving coffee and bringing drink refills to tables.

- If you want a soda or an alcoholic beverage with your breakfast, you may be out of luck in the buffet; their bar doesn't always open early.

- You can have eggs cooked to order while you wait at the buffet; this is the best way to get HOT eggs.

- You'll have a wider variety at the buffet; for example, they always serve miso soup, which we adore.

- In the MDR you'll be seated with other people to fill a 6-10 top table. Yes, you can request a 2-top (or whatever size), but that always adds a bit to your wait.

- Yes, you'll have wait staff in the MDR, but that means you're waiting. The MDR breakfast does take longer.

- Nothing is 'specially HOT in the MDR. It has to travel a distance from the kitchen under those domes.

- Pancakes and French toast are vastly better in the MDR. These are items that don't wait well in steam pans.

- You can get a basic Eggs Benedict, which tends to be a favorite for many people, in the MDR.

- Once a cruise the MDR will host a Chocolate Breakfast. It's a bit overrated, but it is something different, so we always go.

Don't forget that you can also order breakfast through room service, you can go to Promenade Cafe, or other options depending upon the ship you choose.

Personally, we tend to go to the MDR about twice in a one-week cruise. That's enough for us. Most days we'll go to the buffet for the greater variety and faster experience. Note that our preferences for lunch and dinner are different, but that's not the subject here.

Dress code: Shorts and tees are fine for breakfast. Do wear shoes. Don't wear a hat.

:eek:

And no hats;)

So my husband and 14 year old son wear a baseball hat Every.Day. I will be able to convince them to not wear it obviously in the MDR for dinner, but breakfast, really? Are you saying no hat because it is a rule or because it's a personal pet peeve...hats worn indoors. Just curious.

Thanks!

Mrs. Pete - Regarding your fruit comment and kids preferring just one kind of fruit and wasting/picking through the mixed fruit - ask for what you want! Staff are happy to bring just one kind of whatever fruit you prefer. I am not a big fan of melon, but love pineapple, so I just ask for a bowl off pineapple.

Also, have found a buffet set up in the MDR on my recent cruises. Best of both worlds! Ordered eggs/pancakes, etc. and then gone to the buffet for fruit, breads, cold cereal, etc. Again, if you wanted cold items served staff was happy to oblige.

So my husband and 14 year old son wear a baseball hat Every.Day. I will be able to convince them to not wear it obviously in the MDR for dinner, but breakfast, really? Are you saying no hat because it is a rule or because it's a personal pet peeve...hats worn indoors. Just curious.

Thanks!

I don't think it is a rule, but good manners to remove - have found most gentlemen remove in MDR.

Thanks!

Yes really. Right from RCIs FAQs on their website and for your reading pleasure...

Life Onboard

Q:*What are the dress codes onboard?

A:*Onboard Dress Code

Smart Casual: Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a blouse. Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a collared shirt.

Formal: Ladies: Cocktail dress or pantsuit. Gentlemen: Suit (black tie is optional)

Note: Swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurants or specialty restaurants. T-shirts, shorts and flip-flops are acceptable for lunch.

Note: Smart Casual is allowed on Boarding Day at The Grande Restaurant (should only be included where we are speaking about The Grande)

Edited by davekathy

Thanks!

They will ask them to take off their hats.

Thanks!

Just their pet peeve. You'll have no problem at breakfast or lunch with a hat.

They will ask them to take off their hats.

They will not ask for hats to be removed at breakfast or lunch. You will see many people, especially at breakfast, with hats because they are heading to the pool deck or on an excursion straight from breakfast.

I will personally guarantee this regardless of what their website says.

Edited by LMaxwell

...Ever so much nicer than the buffet!

I like that you aren't searching for jam, or syrup or butter while your food is getting cold...all your condiments will be on the table!!

You always say this and I say to you that I know where the condiments are and it doesn't involve any searching - they are placed strategically and my food doesn't get cold. And as far as the dining room being nicer than the buffet, that is a matter of personal choice, one which I don't share. :p

I thought you don't go to the buffet, anyway.......

They will not ask for hats to be removed at breakfast or lunch. You will see many people, especially at breakfast, with hats because they are heading to the pool deck or on an excursion straight from breakfast.

I will personally guarantee this regardless of what their website says.

I was asked to remove my baseball cap one morning as we were entering the MDR for breakfast on our September 2016 Explorer Cruise. So regardless of what you're saying I guarantee it can happen! As we all know it's like any Cruise line dress suggestion for the MDR, it's not consistently enforced.

Edited by davekathy

If anyone has to "search" for things in the buffet after their first day's visit, they may also have a problem finding their way back to their cabin.;) Items aren't hidden or moved from one place to another from day to day. They are pretty much clearly labeled and in the same location every day. I prefer the buffet with its wider variety of food choices over the "so much nicer" MDR with its slow or sporadic service, and controlled portions. (An ice cream scoop portion of scrambled eggs just doesn't cut it for me).

The last time we tried having breakfast in the main dining room, my hot cereal and my French toast were delivered at the same time leaving me to decide whether to eat the oatmeal first and let the French toast get cold or vice versa. If we do it again, I guess I will have to remember to ask the waiter not to deliver both at the same time, but it should have gone without saying.

In the meantime we'll continue to go to the Windjammer and get what and how muchIwant for breakfast.

Edited by negc

We tried the dining room for breakfast and it was a big disappointment. Every single thing we ordered came out cold, and it took forever. The dining room didn't have anything on the menu that you couldn't get at the buffet, so I just didn't see the point and never went back.

If anyone has to "search" for things in the buffet after their first day's visit, they may also have a problem finding their way back to their cabin.;) Items aren't hidden or moved from one place to another from day to day. They are pretty much clearly labeled and in the same location every day. I prefer the buffet with its wider variety of food choices over the "so much nicer" MDR with its slow or sporadic service, and controlled portions. (An ice cream scoop portion of scrambled eggs just doesn't cut it for me).... In the meantime we'll continue to go to the Windjammer and get what and how much I want for breakfast.

Right on. Meet you there. ;):D