A Tale of two Princesses

scubacruiserx2

After about 30 minutes in this beautiful area we returned to our dive boat for a second dive

DSC08774_zpsoe9lmw9o.jpg

Some photos of why we love diving here :

A nurse shark

298e9987-b537-4750-ae39-e5fcbf951041_zpsjgpwzfuk.jpg

A sleepy octopus

PICT0024_zpsdfea77e2.jpg

A green Moray

Cozumelhome086-004_zps84701137.jpg

The Splendid Toad fish is only found in Cozumel

PICT0421_zpsqmgubcjq.jpg

A Wife fish with a Queen Angel

CozumelNov005_zps86c21a86.jpg

The following are video clips posted on Photobucket . To play just click on the small photo .

th_Whalesharks214_zpsf664ce45.mp4 A school of Horse Eye Jacks

th_Whalesharks186_zps2ffe2d26.mp4 A turtle looking for lunch

th_Whalesharks280_zps3b9e2030.mp4 A 40' long Whale shark feeding on the surface . Look out for that tail , it's 5' tall from top to bottom !

th_Whalesharks298_zps70e0354a.mp4 2 manta rays feeding , each about 10' wide !

th_PICT0976_zps36fbc958.mp4 2 sleeping Nurse Sharks

A couple of photos from the dive boat as we return to Puerta Maya

DSC08777_zpsa87cwjis.jpg

DSC08779_zpsfoy9ckwu.jpg

92959f2a-b208-416d-adfd-7fdc91343a47_zpsfr8ovvkb.jpg

DSC0878320Stitch-001_zpsmg89cb1y.jpg

And after a quick gear rinse and shower in the ship , we headed back to Cozumel for dinner , only stopping for a few photos along the way .

DSC08792_zpswcfn6vfa.jpg

The Oasis was docked across the way at the International Pier .

DSC08795_zpscqwmygrw.jpg

Oh My! I had not kept up with the review, but it was so fun catching up now!! Love the photos of the Enclave. Considering it for our upcoming cruise, but we are taking our mom for her retirement and she might not like it (she hates heat, Caribbean cruise, hahaha...poor mom).

Also Grand Cayman is my second favorite dive spot. Loved seeing photos of both your GC and Cozumel dives! It's been a while since we've gone, and now I'm missing it.

This has been such a thorough review. Thank you for taking the time to do it, post all the patters and share your photos and experiences.

Oh My! I had not kept up with the review, but it was so fun catching up now!! Love the photos of the Enclave. Considering it for our upcoming cruise, but we are taking our mom for her retirement and she might not like it (she hates heat, Caribbean cruise, hahaha...poor mom).

Also Grand Cayman is my second favorite dive spot. Loved seeing photos of both your GC and Cozumel dives! It's been a while since we've gone, and now I'm missing it.

This has been such a thorough review. Thank you for taking the time to do it, post all the patters and share your photos and experiences.

Pat loved the enclave and grew up with indoor pools ( Michigan ) but I grew up with the heat , rain and humidity of Florida . So I would rather be in the ocean or go somewhere cool (to visit ) :cool:

So where is your favorite spot to dive ?

The port was decorated for Christmas

DSC08803_zps7dy5ghhn.jpg

It was evident that Mexico is a Roman Catholic country

DSC08804_zpsu0kcqlvn.jpg

We made our way out of the shopping area to pick up a cab

DSC09179_zpsmnibhe7a.jpg

And while it pays to share a cab ( 1-4 passengers are the same price ) , we were headed to the boonies for dinner at El Moro .

85984f01-ccbb-4a99-b59c-55222d800ac0_zpsqhvvxjnn.jpg

When our cab driver noticed our interest in the statue in the truck , he explained about an upcoming holiday that has been around since the 1600's in Mexico , Our Lady of Guadalupe coming up on December 12th .

DSC08809_zpsh2bmu7ot.jpg

http://www.thecozumelsun.com/our-lady-of-guadalupe-holiday-december-12th/

And he went a little out of the way to show us the Parish .

DSC08810_zpss9vwb7lm.jpg

Pat loved the enclave and grew up with indoor pools ( Michigan ) but I grew up with the heat , rain and humidity of Florida . So I would rather be in the ocean or go somewhere cool (to visit ) :cool:

So where is your favorite spot to dive ?

My favorite spot is Ni'ihau, off Kauai. It's an all day dive so we can't do it while cruising but it is amazing. So beautiful. Clear, unpolluted waters. Deep water dive, think there was also a drift dive on that trip.

I would want a refresher for myself before I'd go again because it's been a while, but it truly was the most beautiful dives we've ever done. Nothing else compares to Ni'ihau for us.

What's your favorite dive spot? :)

My favorite spot is Ni'ihau, off Kauai. It's an all day dive so we can't do it while cruising but it is amazing. So beautiful. Clear, unpolluted waters. Deep water dive, think there was also a drift dive on that trip.

I would want a refresher for myself before I'd go again because it's been a while, but it truly was the most beautiful dives we've ever done. Nothing else compares to Ni'ihau for us.

What's your favorite dive spot?

That sounds amazing !

We did get to visit Hawaii once on a cruise ship and so we know what you mean . It's beautiful above as well as below . We did get to dive Molokini crater from Lahina and Kona the day before the Ironman in 2001 . We did get to spend a week post cruise in Kapaa but the sea was really rough the whole time we were there , so no diving . But we were really enchanted with Kauai !!

Our favorite dive spot is Cozumel . It's about 1/2 the price of staying in Grand Cayman and Cancun is only 1 hour and 15 minutes from the Fort Lauderdale Airport . We have made a number of friends who live there and we meet dive buddies there on a regular basis to stay and play .

DSC05524-001_zpszmkxjzpt.jpg

The island is only 15 minutes from Cancun on this plane

DSC07221_zps23crfpso.jpg

DSC07190_zpsqra5nijn.jpg

This is where we stayed with some friends

DSC07246_zpskqbg2c2l.jpg

It's easy to see why we love staying here

DSC07222_zpsnbfr7eyq.jpg

And this is where we had dinner from the cruise ship . But this photo was taken in late October , we we last stayed there .

DSC07490_zpsc2vqz86t.jpg

Dinner for us in Cozumel was at El Moro

DSC07330_zpsdec5ipyr.jpg

It's not fancy but , they have good food , good prices and some of the friendliest people that you will ever meet .

DSC08812_zpsrasm7tp6.jpg

1ece0aba-cb55-408e-8854-4f5562e42471_zpsp3fuy9rz.jpg

Breaded conch

DSC08815_zpsvxmaa62s.jpg

Shrimp on a wire

DSC08817_zpszsfftmnx.jpg

Rey removing the wire

DSC05143_zpszp6p14gt.jpg

And if it's a show that you seek , order the Mayan Coffee

https://www.youtube.com/edit?video_id=N0bQnNvUI24&video_referrer=watch

We're glad that the Regal has a self serve laundry , which we started before coffee

DSC08829_zps86vtnt13.jpg

The Atrium was decorated for Mardi Gras , later that day

DSC0885420Stitch-001_zpsnmpoh3fq.jpg

And we took a few shots of the Crown Grill where there would be a British style pub lunch later

DSC08861%20Stitch-001_zpsab4tlqf5.jpg

DSC08865_zpsfdyiqnah.jpg

IMG_6441_zpsndysqm0v.jpg

Dinner for us in Cozumel was at El Moro

DSC07330_zpsdec5ipyr.jpg

It's not fancy but , they have good food , good prices and some of the friendliest people that you will ever meet .

DSC08812_zpsrasm7tp6.jpg

1ece0aba-cb55-408e-8854-4f5562e42471_zpsp3fuy9rz.jpg

Breaded conch

DSC08815_zpsvxmaa62s.jpg

Shrimp on a wire

DSC08817_zpszsfftmnx.jpg

Rey removing the wire

DSC05143_zpszp6p14gt.jpg

And if it's a show that you seek , order the Mayan Coffee

https://www.youtube.com/edit?video_id=N0bQnNvUI24&video_referrer=watch

Wow!!! You make Cozumel look amazing! Only dove on one occasion there and all 3 dives were drift dives (not my favorite). We honeymooned in Cancun, used to vacation regularly in Playa Del Carmen but have only cruised to Cozumel and now that we have kids we've stopped diving as much. Now that my oldest is 13, I think he can get certified. I'm sure we will start diving more.

I'll have to ask you in greater detail next time we cruise to Cozumel.

If you ever get a chance to dive Ni'ihau, do it! Kauai is beautiful but May to September is probably when you can get good diving in. Maybe even June to August. It is beautiful to watch the waves in the winter too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent laundromat picture. That should answer a lot of questions around here. You now have me wanting to go to Cozomel which I haven't done yet.

We hope that photo will help others but the dryer sheets and soap are a little pricey . Our day at sea was rainy and we had some damp clothes from diving that we wanted washed and dried , so it was really nice to have that option . :) :D

Staying in Cozumel compared to a cruise is like the difference between day and night . After the ships leave and the days work is finished , people relax and slow down . We love Sundays there because there are no cruise ships and there are no crowds at the beach clubs , dining or diving . If love diving or snorkeling Cozumel may be your place ! :cool:

We did start a thread about our last visit there which can be found here : http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=242253

Edited by scubacruiserx2

Wow!!! You make Cozumel look amazing! Only dove on one occasion there and all 3 dives were drift dives (not my favorite). We honeymooned in Cancun, used to vacation regularly in Playa Del Carmen but have only cruised to Cozumel and now that we have kids we've stopped diving as much. Now that my oldest is 13, I think he can get certified. I'm sure we will start diving more.

I'll have to ask you in greater detail next time we cruise to Cozumel.

If you ever get a chance to dive Ni'ihau, do it! Kauai is beautiful but May to September is probably when you can get good diving in. Maybe even June to August. It is beautiful to watch the waves in the winter too.

As you have noted , most of the dives in Cozumel are drift dives . The currents here keep the water moving and clean and can also be used to cover a lot of ground and see a lot . Some dives have little or no current like Paradise Reef which is near to the port and where snorkeling is popular . Also Columbia shallows in the far south is calm and shallow and a good second dive because you don't need a SI there . There are a couple of ways to minimize the currents like hiding in the eddies created behind rocks or walls , or swimming through the many caves here , as seen in this video clip :

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=242253

Our grandson learned to dive in Cozumel when he was 12 by completing the PADI course on line and doing the water work with our dive provider in Cozumel .

adaf5753-c715-4312-9937-bbd0d0c9a294_zpseqwm7ezi.jpg

Before the pub lunch we went to the Cast Costume Showcase in the Piazza and the purple lights were back .

IMG_6401-002_zpsvay00rd4.jpg

I had envisioned showgirls in elaborate costumes , in character - a perfect photo op . However , it was a little different than I had imagined .

IMG_6414_zpssawqqtsu.jpg

I didn't remember this dress from Fiera .

IMG_6418_zps41bsmwkg.jpg

To be certain the cast was very nice , answering questions and posing for photos !

IMG_6422_zpsr55mkaty.jpg

IMG_6419_zpssui2fvp2.jpg

It was just different than I had envisioned , having never attended anything like this before .

IMG_6421_zpszwpgifay.jpg

Edited by scubacruiserx2

The queue as they say in the UK . There is no charge for the lunch but we paid for a couple of beers .

DSC08886_zpsakfblrny.jpg

The witch has landed

DSC08889_zps5ws2oqiz.jpg

Pat's Scotch egg

DSC08890_zpsfvjlyeag.jpg

and Fish and Chips

0edc64f4-046c-492d-92c1-7ae5b65dbe27_zpssoofpuea.jpg

My chicken curry

DSC08891_zpsmtqbxhwa.jpg

and we split a Sherry Triffle

DSC08893_zpshdlxejpt.jpg

scubacruiserx2,

I'm enjoying cruising vicariously on this thread through your pictures. Good work!

I must say - the fish & chips at the pub lunch looks like an appetizer. Is there a potato famine?

scubacruiserx2,

I'm enjoying cruising vicariously on this thread through your pictures. Good work!

I must say - the fish & chips at the pub lunch looks like an appetizer. Is there a potato famine?

Thanks Bill , maybe there was a shortage , after all , we were on the last day of the cruise ! ;)