First ever Christmas cruise

excitedofharpenden

A few years ago on Celebrity Solstice, for an unexplained reason I got enrolled on the crew wi-fi rather than the passengers network.

I only discovered this at the end of the cruise. No one could explain the mistake, the team in the Celebrity iLounge were totally baffled, guest relations could only apologise etc etc.

I forget the figures, however I got billed for the entire crew account for the second week of our cruise, ( I had used my wife's Captains club allowance the first week, the second week was supposed to be my allowance).

The total amount was cleared from my ship aboard account by guest relations.

The bottom line is, the crew get charged $0.04 cents per minute, so that must be pretty much cost price (then), any charges above that figure can only be perceived to be profiteering.

Rather than "profiteering" I'd say it is adding to revenue. Last time I looked Azamara were a business looking to make profit. Having said this I am encouraged with the moves Azamara have made thus far. The latest BOGOHO promo includes free internet. It's all moving the right way, but as said above by Floris de Kort, in making it free something else may well have to give.

Internet fell over yesterday evening, but it's back just now. Had a very nice breakfast in Prime C today as part of the Top Tier Breakfast (Discoverer, Discoverer Plus, Discoverer Platinum). I find this very civilised, providing the night before hasn't been too heavy.:o

We are amazed at the improvement of the internet speed on azamara journey!

No problem using FaceTime,Skype,Amazon music or videos and even Netflix.

Only problem was accessing some large files on a network drive from our workplace, but that could be a good thing as it forces us to relax on this very enjoyable cruise!

The price is well worth it for us as we use the internet intensively onboard and really is a small expense in the global price of this exotic vacation.

We recommend TMobile ,to US users, to access internet and text ashore for free over most of the world (excellent internet in Singapore and Indonesia ).

Micheline,en route to Lombok.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Assuming that as I'm on an U.K. Network I'll be able to use my 500mb daily allowance at £3 per day whilst in Europe - far cheaper than azamara

When you are close to land yes, but out at sea I doubt it.

Even though I had roaming turned off, my phone brought emails in overnight when we were between Cherbourg and St Peterport. It also sent emails (with pictures)that I thought had been sent previously by the ship's wi-fi, when we were in St Peter port (Guernsey)

Eventually a block was put on my phone ( by Vodofone ) until I signed up to the £3 a day Europe usage.

When I returned home I rang Vodofone. They couldn't explain how this had happened, except to say:'our service doesn't work on a ship, as the ship's satellite takes over.'

Eventually I had the surcharge refunded, as I asked how I could have prevented this happening, when roaming was turned off ( its never turned on)

Answer- turn your phone off.

To which my reply was ' I may as well not use the phone, as messages will come in when I turn it back on.'

Edited by upwarduk

We are now heading back to Singapore to overnight there tomorrow before getting off on Friday. It's been an excellent cruise and fun to be away over Christmas and New Year. Overall the weather has been pretty good with a few blips. We are in the tropics after all and the NYE deck party having been set up outside had to be moved indoors when the heavens opened in Bali. Officers BBQ also moved to Discoveries Restaurant today because of wind and showers. Hoping that it's dry tomorrow night for White Night in Singapore. It owes us!

We cross the equator in about one hour.

We are now heading back to Singapore to overnight there tomorrow before getting off on Friday. It's been an excellent cruise and fun to be away over Christmas and New Year. Overall the weather has been pretty good with a few blips. We are in the tropics after all and the NYE deck party having been set up outside had to be moved indoors when the heavens opened in Bali. Officers BBQ also moved to Discoveries Restaurant today because of wind and showers. Hoping that it's dry tomorrow night for White Night in Singapore. It owes us!

We cross the equator in about one hour.

And it's been great to put faces to names! ....until next time , safe travels.

Glad you've had a good time Phil; I have enjoyed following along with you here and on Facebook. Did you ever decide to book Norway in June?

I would love to follow your travels on FB Phil, I sent you a request before Christmas ( Jackie Calverley)

BTW We had downpours every afternoon in Singapore between 3-5 pm when we were there in Jan 2008. It very quickly dried up though. I still use the small umbrella I bought, it has an inside lining to protect from the heat!

Glad you've had a good time Phil; I have enjoyed following along with you here and on Facebook. Did you ever decide to book Norway in June?

Not yet Holly, but it's still on the radar. Too much money at present. I've booked three Azamara cruises whilst I'm be been on the ship. Two on JR and one on QS.

It truly has been (still is!) an excellent cruise. 10 out of 10. Azamara still has the magic touch. Yes, I could bullet point a few suggestions for improvement, but it would be borderline nitpicking. I'm already looking forward to my next trip in July on Quest.

It truly has been (still is!) an excellent cruise. 10 out of 10. Azamara still has the magic touch. Yes, I could bullet point a few suggestions for improvement, but it would be borderline nitpicking. I'm already looking forward to my next trip in July on Quest.

Your comments are very encouraging as I'm just about to book Journey in October.

Glad you, Phil et al have had such a lovely cruise.

Which Quest July cruise are you on? We are sailing with her on the 29th

Edited by Spursgirl

Phil, it's a lot to ask, but for those of us Facebook phobes I hope you can give us a brief appraisal of the cruise on this forum when you get home.

Some of us keep looking at a similar itinerary.

Would love to have the same from Floris as well.

Phil, it's a lot to ask, but for those of us Facebook phobes I hope you can give us a brief appraisal of the cruise on this forum when you get home.

Some of us keep looking at a similar itinerary.

Would love to have the same from Floris as well.

Nordski,

I knew there was a reason why I like you. Good to know I'm not the only Facebook phobe in the world! :D

BTW We had downpours every afternoon in Singapore between 3-5 pm when we were there in Jan 2008. It very quickly dried up though. I still use the small umbrella I bought, it has an inside lining to protect from the heat!

We had a few days in Singapore on our way back from Australia in Dec 1999.

On our last day the afternoon rain caused us to hide in a shopping center.

We found ourselves in the nursery equipment area & started browsing.

Our first Grandchild was due at any time on our return home.

We had noticed how much cheaper prams were in Australia than at home

I had said to my Wife shall we take on home with us, she said I was crazy has we had 2 long flights.

In Singapore the same pram was even cheaper so I bought it.

They folded it up & covered it in Bubble wrap.

At check in at the Airport they looked at me very strangely, I explained that it was for our unborn Grandchild.

BA put it in the hold for us at no charge & delivered it to us by hand on arrival in London.

All due to the rain in Singapore

My Grandson was 17 on New Years Eve

Edited by Bloodaxe

I had said to my Wife shall we take on home with us, she said I was crazy has we had 2 long flights.

At check in at the Airport they looked at me very strangely, I explained that it was for our unborn Grandchild.

BA put it in the hold for us at no charge & delivered it to us by hand on arrival in London.

And people say I buy a lot of shopping Eric! Never bought a pram though! :D

When I was away for 5 months doing an Asia and Australia land tour I found it was cheaper to Fed Ex all my purchases back home to my mother's address rather than pay excess baggage at the airport....I did a LOT of shopping! :D

Lottie

We have seen the results of your shopping in Barcelona first hand

Regards to you and Hazel

Eric

Eric, guess where we will be on Sunday and Monday? Shopping in Barcelona prior to embarking on a Viking Sea cruise!

I think the Spanish economy is about to undergo an upturn! :D

Regards to you and your DW.

Not yet Holly, but it's still on the radar. Too much money at present. I've booked three Azamara cruises whilst I'm be been on the ship. Two on JR and one on QS.

What did you book, Phil?

Enjoyed your FB posts.

Just seeing this post today. We got off the Quest in the 19th.

And people say I buy a lot of shopping Eric! Never bought a pram though! :D

When I was away for 5 months doing an Asia and Australia land tour I found it was cheaper to Fed Ex all my purchases back home to my mother's address rather than pay excess baggage at the airport....I did a LOT of shopping! :D

I hope Eric hasn't given you any ideas :D

Hi everyone, at Changi airport Qantas Club with a heap of other Aussie Azamara cruisers waiting for our evening flights to all capital cities. My only cruise complaint was that I succumbed to the dreaded air conditioning respiratory complaint early in the cruise that I've seen so many get and I thought I was immune too. I really feel unwell (i seem to have relapsed) and the first phone call once home will be for a doctors appointment. It sure was nice meeting those we did and we look forward to keeping in touch and running into again in our future Azamara cruises. Safe onward journey to those who don't beat us home.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app