Celebrity Management needs to properly use public space

Hlitner

That's what they did on Equinox with the Gasto Bar:cool:

Not just on the Equinox, but on some other S-Class ships. They have a Gastro Bar on the Eclipse but when we have visited it has been near empty. I think there are two problems with the venue (which is still showing as the "Passport Bar" on many deck plans). The location on the Plaza Deck (Deck 3) is out of the way for most passengers. Decks 4 and 5 are the main public decks/spaces and that is where people stroll and check-out shops and venues. For most, there is seldom a reason to venture down to Deck 3. Our other problem with the concept is that, like what they did in Michael's before its current rebirth, the Gastropub is based on bottled beer. I do love going to real pubs, but my first question to a bartender is always, "what do you have on draught?" On Celebrity the answer would generally be "nothing." And finally we have an issue with having an ala carte food/snack menu at the Gastropub. Make the food free, and perhaps more would come and spend money on the beer. There is still a lot of resistance by passengers to pay extra for snacks/food.

So yes, we love the Pub concept but want to see a reasonable offering of draught beer and ales. Lets propose that they have 5 or 6 brews always on tap including some lagers, an IPA, wheat beer, etc. And then they should have 1 or 2 daily specials (which are mentioned in the daily schedule) used as a hook to attract beer lovers who want to sample the changing specials (along with the normal draughts). With that many available draught beers/ales they could also sell "samplers" where you get a group of small glasses of the various offerings (a popular option in many modern bars).

Hank

I agree with all your points except one: I think Michael's club is quite successful in its new role as a Suite benefit. The Suite Concierge is stationed there, they have low-key music some evenings, the bartender is always there to provide a quick drink on the way into the shows, and in general it is a quiet place to escape the noise everywhere else on the ship. It's part of what makes us willing to shoulder the high fares for a suite.

Absolutely agree!! We've been lucky enough to be in suites on our last 3 Celebrity cruises and Michael's Club is just wonderful. It is VERY busy before dinner, the last two cruises there were many nights when there were no seats open at all. Not as busy other times, but the ambiance is very nice and we frequently would stop by for a drink later in the evenings.

I agree with the other points that Hiltner made but he is off the mark with Michael's Club.

All excellent observations. I also think that they should do more games and activities (not for additional charge) than they do. Passengers love them, they are always well attended...there should be more.

We are jumping ship from Royal to Celebrity to get away from all the pool games/activities. If that's what passengers want, go to Royal - they have way too many IMHO.

Not just on the Equinox, but on some other S-Class ships. They have a Gastro Bar on the Eclipse but when we have visited it has been near empty. I think there are two problems with the venue (which is still showing as the "Passport Bar" on many deck plans). The location on the Plaza Deck (Deck 3) is out of the way for most passengers. Decks 4 and 5 are the main public decks/spaces and that is where people stroll and check-out shops and venues. For most, there is seldom a reason to venture down to Deck 3. Our other problem with the concept is that, like what they did in Michael's before its current rebirth, the Gastropub is based on bottled beer. I do love going to real pubs, but my first question to a bartender is always, "what do you have on draught?" On Celebrity the answer would generally be "nothing." And finally we have an issue with having an ala carte food/snack menu at the Gastropub. Make the food free, and perhaps more would come and spend money on the beer. There is still a lot of resistance by passengers to pay extra for snacks/food.

So yes, we love the Pub concept but want to see a reasonable offering of draught beer and ales. Lets propose that they have 5 or 6 brews always on tap including some lagers, an IPA, wheat beer, etc. And then they should have 1 or 2 daily specials (which are mentioned in the daily schedule) used as a hook to attract beer lovers who want to sample the changing specials (along with the normal draughts). With that many available draught beers/ales they could also sell "samplers" where you get a group of small glasses of the various offerings (a popular option in many modern bars).

Hank

Celebrity's site doesn't specify, so I wonder if it's on all of the S-class ships by now:

Comfort food and craft beer enthusiasts can unite to try over 40 handcrafted boutique beer selections, creative cocktails and a wide selection of a la carte, gourmet comfort food and bar bites that are so satisfying you could make a meal of them. If you prefer wine with your eats, Gastrobar offers an impressive selection by the glass or bottle. With inviting entertainment and great music, Gastrobar offers an atmosphere of casual sophistication

An English pub with some hand-pulled draught beers would be a nice touch. Was on the Independence of the Seas a while back and their English pub was a great place to hang out with live music every night. They had draught taps....without beer in them. Ugh.

Just off the Eclipse this morning. The Grastro Pub is part of the Passport bar and it's only the GP between 3:00 and 7:00. Though the area was always quite busy I never saw anyone order or eat any pub fare. Because it is mainly the Passport, I disagree it is a waste of space as it is busy in the afternoon and you are hard pressed to get a seat during the evening as the entertainment and dancing are right there.

To be honest, I doubt many people realized Gastro was even there as the Passport was opened from late morning through the evening.

Edited by Oville

I have not sailed on S class (yet), but I think some of your observations are applicable to M class as well. I really enjoy X and think it is the best match for my tastes and budget, but I agree that some things X does just don't make sense or could be improved.

- Pool area. I'd also like real caribbean music (live or not) for caribbean cruises. While the pool areas are mellower on X than other cruise lines (which I definitely appreciate), I also agree that less cruise director "activities" would be preferable for me.

- Cellar Masters. Love the ambiance here, but agree that it's usually pretty dead. Someone else mentioned offering snacks to help bring the life back to another bar, which I think might work wonders here too. I realize there'd be some costs / logistics for X to do this, but some simple tapas or other snacks would be awesome. I do enjoy the wine appreciation programs they often run here on sea days.

- Bistro / Sushi on 5. I've noticed so much variance of opinion on these places. I really loved Bistro on 5 on Summit and sad to see it go. With Sushi on 5, some people have pointed out that the a la carte menu works well for having a cocktail and enjoying one or two items, rather than a full meal. From what I've seen, there are items on the menu that aren't sushi for the non-sushi lovers, but I agree the appeal may be limited for many.

- Atrium. On M class at least, it was very annoying to have a live DJ blasting music in the evenings. Never saw anyone dancing and it wrecked the ambiance throughout this large common area that shared space with Cafe Bacio.

- Theater. I don't mean to offend anyone who enjoys the shows, but for me the quality of the performances translates to the theater being a "poor use" of public space to me.

- General thoughts:

Some of the other "dead" lounges, etc., can be places of peace and relaxation too. So there's that.

Would like to see more cultural enrichment programming in general, which could be held in some of these public spaces.

I wouldn't mind being able to get a better burger or some Tex-Mex. Maybe upgrade / expand the poolside grill? (might not be practical though) The stuff served there now is very limited selection and average quality IMHO.

Haven't been in Michael's Club and doubt I'll get a chance to check it out any time soon. :rolleyes:

Edited by conquesodor

Looking forward to my next to Celebrity sailings, and hoping that their people are reading this thread as there are lots of good comments here.

It's been a couple years for us, and I'm disappointed in the change in Michael's. I understand that it's a perk for the suite guests, but it was such a nice place to gather for before or after dinner drinks and listen to the piano. (Although I don't think there was a piano player in there on our last Silhouette sailing, but there was definitely one on the Equinox several years ago.)

We happen to like Quasar - spent many late nights in there and had lots of fun. I'm kind of sad that it's not on the Reflection. Hoping there is someplace fun like that when we sail in May.

We tried Bistro on 5 a time or two and were unimpressed. The service was very slow and they had no clue how to make the bellini I ordered and had to check with several different bar/bartenders before I finally got my drink. We'll probably try the sushi place since we have a bunch of OBC on our upcoming trip. Otherwise, I can take it or leave it. I do have to agree with the comments about the Mexican and burger places on Carnival:eek: They were actually pretty good for some quick pool side food.

From the comments it would appear that Equinox is the only ship that has converted the former Cellar Masters space into the Gastro Bar which operates as the Gastro Bar fulltime. On our cruise last year it was very busy and we found it to be excellent.

On my 4 cruises on S class ships I must admit that I have only been to the Passport Bar 3 or 4 times and only for 10 minutes or so each time. It does seem to be in need of some sort of a lift.

Will chime in because our recent Eclipse cruise was a 14 day Caribbean run and the World Class Bar was generally empty in the evening. We visited the World Class on 3 occasions in the early evening. Twice...DW and I were the only 2 customers. On one other visit there were 3 others at the bar. We also walked by the bar many times during the evening and seldom saw anyone. There were an awful lot of folks with Premium Drink Packages on our cruise (easy to see this at the very busy Martini Bar) but few had a desire to deal with the too limited drink menu in the World Class Bar. Part of the World Class problem (besides the drink menu) is the lousy location tucked behind the art gallery. On our many S-Class cruises the Martini Bar does a great business and the Ensemble Lounge sometimes gets a decent crowd (depending on the entertainment). But the World Class is a loser and the concept (and menu) needs some fine tuning.

Your idea of a "True Mexican Restaurant" is interesting, but we wonder what this means. Living in Mexico a few months a year (for more then a decade) has taught us that Mexican cuisine is very regional. A Mexican venue that had zero Tex-Mex, and a menu of various regional Mexican dishes would certainly get our interest and business.

Hank

Generally the same experience for us on our cruises concerning the World Class Bar and the Molecular Bar. We often observe people coming up to the bar trying to a regular drink and finding out they need to go elsewhere.

I agree with most things that are said here. I sailed on the Silhouette in Oct/Nov and also enjoyed Micheal's club and thought it was well utilized. I also noticed the Hideaway was very busy and replaced the completely unused "Team Earth" concept on some of the ships.

The Martini Bar and Cafe Bacio are always packed and could use additional space or a second similar venue.

I like the ensemble lounge, but it seems an odd venue layout for live music. Perhaps Cellar Master's space would work better.

As for the Sushi on 5 space I liked both the new and old incarnations. I liked their "pop-up idea" and I think this would be a great place to have a different ethnic restaurant on each ship. Then as you rotate through the fleet you would get a different experience.

One other space that gets little usage is the Porch. I love this space and the ambience. But the pricing/menu isn't working. We ate there three times as part of our Unlimited Dining, but the value just isn't there at the price point -- particularly for lunch when you would be ,ore likely to want to eat outdoors.

I'd really love a piano bar, but I'm losing hope...

We are jumping ship from Royal to Celebrity to get away from all the pool games/activities. If that's what passengers want, go to Royal - they have way too many IMHO.

no...not pool games...which I personally find loud and annoying, and inyrusive for yjose uninterested and wanting quiet by the pool.. However trivia, name that tune, deal/no deal, minute something.....all very well attended. I wish there were more. For those that don't care to attend....well, it shouldn't bother you because the rooms are otherwise empty.

The Porch always seemed empty on our last cruise, and the concept of the Lawn Club doesn't match the price point. Grill my own food for about the same premium as Murano? I don't think so.

A piano bar would be nice. I would love to see regular live music at the Sunset Bar (it's there, but very sporadic at best) Ideal way to spend part of the afternoon, I think. Kick back with a drink, watch the wake, listen to live music... ahhhhhh......

no...not pool games...which I personally find loud and annoying, and inyrusive for yjose uninterested and wanting quiet by the pool.. However trivia, name that tune, deal/no deal, minute something.....all very well attended. I wish there were more. For those that don't care to attend....well, it shouldn't bother you because the rooms are otherwise empty.

AGREED!

Pool games seem fine on Royal Caribbean, but a bit out of place on X. Give me a little more of the other activities though.

Yes yes and yes again. It's the obvious venue missing from Celebrity ships particularly on there European travels.

]

I had to check your location. I wouldn't have expected someone from the UK wanting an English Pub on the ship. Would have thought it would be a "much like home" sort of thing. Seeing as how it's hard to find an authentic pub in the US, I'm all for it.

From what I recall, the plan was to change all the Cellar Masters into gastropubs but after they did it on Equinox they stopped. Anyone know why? Did they want to test it out first to make sure it was successful? (Makes sense) Based on comments I've seen over the past year it sounds like it has been successful, so why not roll it out to the whole fleet? Another possibility is they have new concepts coming with Edge and want to roll some of those out to the whole fleet (replacing older venues) once those ships start to launch.

And as for Sushi on 5. Maybe that space would be better served as being part of Cafe Al Bacio? It's very popular (we often have trouble finding seating there at different times of day). In another thread people were saying that the space was too small and staff were falling all over each other. So maybe expand it into a bigger staff area with more items offered including sandwiches and hot breakfast items. That would reduce seating in that area but then they could convert Sushi on 5 into a full seating area.

The Porch always seemed empty on our last cruise, and the concept of the Lawn Club doesn't match the price point. Grill my own food for about the same premium as Murano? I don't think so.

A piano bar would be nice. I would love to see regular live music at the Sunset Bar (it's there, but very sporadic at best) Ideal way to spend part of the afternoon, I think. Kick back with a drink, watch the wake, listen to live music... ahhhhhh......

I actually miss not having the Lawn Grill on the Eclipse. You do not need to cook your own and I seldom see anyone doing it. I know it is hard to believe, but they have great protein options and the flatbread is also very good. Did you actually try it? One of our favorites. On the Reflection they were open for lunch as well.

The Porch is a great outdoor setting, but $30 for lunch seems steep to me. If you have the Ultimate dining package it is a very lovely place to have lunch and was busy during our cruise with some great lunch options.

As far as wasted space it seems like the grass area although unique is under utilized.

DC

I had to check your location. I wouldn't have expected someone from the UK wanting an English Pub on the ship. Would have thought it would be a "much like home" sort of thing. Seeing as how it's hard to find an authentic pub in the US, I'm all for it.

To be honest sometimes in a small way it's nice to have a bit of home while away if you see what I mean but really don't care about type of pub venue it is I am more intrested in the concept. and like you DC think this would be a good one.

But as this thread shows its hard to please all of the people all of the time.

For me the biggest waste of a venue on all the ships is Celler Masters but that's just my opinion.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Forums mobile app

As far as wasted space it seems like the grass area although unique is under utilized.

A favorite activity of ours on Eclipse is the wine and cheese sailaway party on the lawn. Pillows, blankets, folk singer, very relaxing. A couple of years ago they held them at most ports, this year only twice.

To be honest sometimes in a small way it's nice to have a bit of home while away if you see what I mean but really don't care about type of pub venue it is I am more intrested in the concept. and like you DC think this would be a good one.

But as this thread shows its hard to please all of the people all of the time.

For me the biggest waste of a venue on all the ships is Celler Masters but that's just my opinion.

I understand completely about the bit of home. And the pub fare would be nice as well!

Cellar Masters is definitely a space crying for another use

A favorite activity of ours on Eclipse is the wine and cheese sailaway party on the lawn. Pillows, blankets, folk singer, very relaxing. A couple of years ago they held them at most ports, this year only twice.

We will have to try it sometime.

They do lots of activities....there's the watch extravaganza sale, the fabrege egg sale, the grand brown diamond sale, the art sale, the footbed sale.

Hahaha, yes. I told the GF I was disappointed about so much space used for shopping on these boats. She asked why; I replied that it's as though I paid to go to the mall. Give me the GastroPub or the mentioned English pub and ditch the $150pp OBC I have nothing better to do with than specialty dining I don't really care about or shopping that I more or less actively despise. Give me that regional Mexican restaurant. And what's with premium beverage package not being good on Enomatic? That makes no sense. CellarMasters, at least, means there's a venue that will never have enough use that you can't co-opt it for some other reception, like the CC event we had there.

Frankly the shopping is even more offensive than the casino, which I suppose is really just a cash grab of the same order.

Hahaha, yes. I told the GF I was disappointed about so much space used for shopping on these boats. She asked why; I replied that it's as though I paid to go to the mall. Give me the GastroPub or the mentioned English pub and ditch the $150pp OBC I have nothing better to do with than specialty dining I don't really care about or shopping that I more or less actively despise. Give me that regional Mexican restaurant. And what's with premium beverage package not being good on Enomatic? That makes no sense. CellarMasters, at least, means there's a venue that will never have enough use that you can't co-opt it for some other reception, like the CC event we had there.

Frankly the shopping is even more offensive than the casino, which I suppose is really just a cash grab of the same order.

The shopping set ups are particularly frustrating when trying to leave the evening shows. It reduces the flow and makes it take a long time to get out of the theater.

S-Class ships are gorgeous and have many decent venues....most of which are underutilized because of very poor Corporate Planning!

So the newly crowned Sushi place on Deck 5 replaced the Cafe on 5, and seems to be even more underutilized then its predecessor. Most of the time we walked by this place it was near empty.

2. Cellar Masters. So now they took out the wine dispensers and the room is even less used...which is a pity since its a beautiful lounge.

3. World Bar used to be a franchised format of fascinating high end drinks....but Celebrity ended that franchise deal last year and replaced it with their own in-house concept. On our last two cruises this bar is usually empty! I mean without a single customer and the place is now a waste of space.

4, Michael's Club - Must admit we liked this underused venue...but now it is the exclusive domain for the suite folks and perhaps a Zenith passenger. We miss seeing this place opened to everyone.

5, The Pool area. If we want to be blasted out of our seat by PA commentary on pool games....we can certainly go cruise on Carnival. .

Hank

Agree COMPLETELY on each and every example... ;)

S Class ships are THE most incredibly drop-dead-gorgeous ships EVER, with absolutely BEAUTIFUL spaces... that are so embarrassingly mismanaged and underutilized that the situation is somewhere between comical and pathetic. :o

Major factors in having spent 70 nights cruising other lines this year. :(

They do lots of activities....there's the watch extravaganza sale, the fabrege egg sale, the grand brown diamond sale, the art sale, the footbed sale. Every day they're are all kinds of similar events.....so what's your issue?

Celebrity is not alone... the "wonderful" art sales on Royal and Princess are even "BETTER" :eek: :rolleyes:

Edited by teecee60