What is the advantage of a PCC over TA?

Setting Sail Gal

• 1 month later...

Sorry I did not know it was not allowed to give a name if you ask for it. I have a great PVP with Carnival but we are doing a cruise in Northern Europe summer of 2018 with Holland. I hate calling the 1-800 people because they are usually not much help. I booked through American Cruises and they are not much help either.

@SangerCruiser -- went to your blog but did not find a direct connection there. Did not know if I left a comment to a photo, would you be notified to go and read it?

Anyway, I'm not sure whether or not you can request a PCC (if someone *was* able to give you a name). As far as I know I was assigned one on the first HAL cruise I booked for myself; I suppose they take turns. I never returned her e-mails, but at some point I did save one of them. On Christmas Eve 2016, I tried to call HAL to cancel a cruise, the final payment date of which was December 26. I figured no one would be answering the phone on Christmas, but it did not occur to me that December 24 would also be unplugged! I was panicked, then I thought of that saved e-mail -- I called the extension given, no answer, I left a message and called the associate's number she gave (she was going to be out of the office until New Year's as I recall), and left a message there too. I then e-mailed her directly. On all of these messages I gave full cancellation details -- the four Mariner's numbers, two cabins, etc.

Monday morning first thing, I called, and as this was final payment day, I was transferred to a manager. Well! He was able to see that I had e-mailed my PCC on the last working day before the cutoff! and he honored my cancellation and just like that, $2400 appeared refunded to our credit card.

When we decided to book another cruise, you bet I contacted that PCC! Like djh, I had all the details figured out myself when I called her, but there is certainly no harm in having someone else on your team and there might be a lot of benefit.

I can see comments. My email is sangercruiser@gmail.com.

Oh yes. Fixed, main seating. Time to come in from the day, relax and unwind, clean up, and have a proper cocktail time before dinner.

Hate that rushing around an early dinner would entail!

RuthC, I enjoy your posts! You seem to have an understanding of the dinner reservation process so, I am on my first HAL cruise on the A'dam Asia cruise 1 Oct. I know you like bigger tables but being an introvert, I like a table for two. I have fixed dining, early, but can't seem to get a table for two lined up. Do you have suggestions for making this happen? Thanks in advance. Rick

Do you have suggestions for making this happen? Thanks in advance. Rick

Thank you for your kind words.

I'm sorry, but I don't have a lot of advice. I do have my TA request specific tables by number, shortly in advance of a cruise---about 2 weeks. Since I, and frequently the people I travel with, have mobility problems, I suspect HAL makes accommodation for us and our request. Barring becoming disabled (which I don't recommend ;)), I don't know what else to suggest.

I also suspect that having a lot of sailing days on HAL doesn't hurt my request, either. But there's only one way to get that, too (which I DO recommend :D.)

Apart from the money we save by dealing with our TA, and the enhanced business hours, we prefer to deal with an agent who is not an employee of the cruise line.

If we have an issue or a dispute it seems clear to me where a PCC will lean. Much prefer an independent TA making our case should something untoward occur.

After many cruises, all but one booked with a TA, we have never once experienced a 'lack of control' of our booking because we booked through an agent. The opposite is true for us since we have always been able to contact our TA or agency during off hours to make a booking, request a reprice, make changes, etc.

RuthC, I enjoy your posts! You seem to have an understanding of the dinner reservation process so, I am on my first HAL cruise on the A'dam Asia cruise 1 Oct. I know you like bigger tables but being an introvert, I like a table for two. I have fixed dining, early, but can't seem to get a table for two lined up. Do you have suggestions for making this happen? Thanks in advance. Rick

Rick, we just got off a 17 day cruise on the Koningsdam and had "open seating" because all fixed seating slots had been filled when we had originally booked the cruise. Once onboard, we made our way to the maître 'd table to reserve our MDR "open seating" dining times. When we got there, we asked if we could reserve a table for 2 and had no problem getting one.

However, after about the 3rd day we put in a request to change our status to a fixed early seating table for 2 as we got tired of having to always make reservations 3 days ahead; otherwise you're standing in line waiting for a table. It took a couple of days, but they made the change and we got a great table in a quiet corner by a window.

I am also new to CC (though I replied but don't see it anywhere) but thanks again RuthC and Ken the Cruiser! I'll opt out of becoming disabled if possible (although hearing is a problem) and go for the increased sailing days! I do want to cruise! Ken, I guess I head for the dining room arrangements table 1st day on board. Thanks for the advice.

Seasoned HAL cruisers please give me your thoughts and experiences. Returned from first HAL cruise earlier this month and I am getting multiple e

1. CC is acting weirder than normal.

2. I don't believe that there is a benefit. I use a TA that give me other benefits. (% goes to my son's college fund.)

Edited by TheCalicoCat
typo

Seasoned HAL cruisers please give me your thoughts and experiences. Returned from first HAL cruise earlier this month and I am getting multiple e-mails to connect with a PCC. I only get vacation once a year so I plan early and hope to find deals. Which is the best way to go? Looking at Jan. - Mar 2018 right now. Thanks everyone. Karen

We use both a PCC and an independent TA, depending on the cruise line, when booking cruises. However, we always use, except in the case of Crystal, the cruise line's PCC that was assigned to us when we first started cruising with that line. The reason being if we have any questions about anything regarding the cruise or any policy issues, we can ask our PCC and get the straight scoop. With our TA, he's pretty verse with some of the cruise line policies, especially Crystal's, but with others not as much.

Then, within a week or two once we are completely happy with our booking, we'll transfer it to our TA with 2 exceptions, Celebrity and HAL. For those 2 as we usually book as early as possible sometimes over 2 years out, we get such great service, we want them to keep the full commission rather than just getting credit for the initial booking. If fact from what I hear from our Celebrity PCC, they don't even get credit for the booking if it is transferred to a TA.

In addition any extra OBC we would get from the TA on those cheaper cruises for us really doesn't add that much to the bottom line. For example by the time we sail on a 14+ day HAL cruise, we already have $1,100 OBC plus free gratuities plus being 4 star Mariners we get free laundry and 50% off wine packages. So getting a little more OBC from a TA is not worth it for us compared to the value we get from our HAL PCC. However, when we book 30+ day cruises on Oceania, Crystal or Azamara, the OBC we get when transferring the booking to our TA is well worth giving up a little control. For example with Crystal, Azamara and even Princess, we can use our accumulated OBC to pay for pre-booked excursions once we get onboard. With Oceania we get the "cruise only" fare which allows us to pre-book excursions using the cruise fare savings we get from not getting the OLife option and then use the TA's OBC to pay for gratuities, laundry and wine packages once onboard.

The bottom line is both PCCs and TAs offer a certain value. The trick with finding a good TA is talking with other folks about their TA. If someone on CC says they have a great TA and they also have their email listed in their signature, send them an email and ask them about their TA.

I know I got a little lengthy in my response, but I hope it helps.

We use both a PCC and an independent TA, depending on the cruise line, when booking cruises. However, we always use, except in the case of Crystal, the cruise line's PCC that was assigned to us when we first started cruising with that line. The reason being if we have any questions about anything regarding the cruise or any policy issues, we can ask our PCC and get the straight scoop. With our TA, he's pretty verse with some of the cruise line policies, especially Crystal's, but with others not as much.

Then, within a week or two once we are completely happy with our booking, we'll transfer it to our TA with 2 exceptions, Celebrity and HAL. For those 2 as we usually book as early as possible sometimes over 2 years out, we get such great service, we want them to keep the full commission rather than just getting credit for the initial booking. If fact from what I hear from our Celebrity PCC, they don't even get credit for the booking if it is transferred to a TA.

In addition any extra OBC we would get from the TA on those cheaper cruises for us really doesn't add that much to the bottom line. For example by the time we sail on a 14+ day HAL cruise, we already have $1,100 OBC plus free gratuities plus being 4 star Mariners we get free laundry and 50% off wine packages. So getting a little more OBC from a TA is not worth it for us compared to the value we get from our HAL PCC. However, when we book 30+ day cruises on Oceania, Crystal or Azamara, the OBC we get when transferring the booking to our TA is well worth giving up a little control. For example with Crystal, Azamara and even Princess, we can use our accumulated OBC to pay for pre-booked excursions once we get onboard. With Oceania we get the "cruise only" fare which allows us to pre-book excursions using the cruise fare savings we get from not getting the OLife option and then use the TA's OBC to pay for gratuities, laundry and wine packages once onboard.

The bottom line is both PCCs and TAs offer a certain value. The trick with finding a good TA is talking with other folks about their TA. If someone on CC says they have a great TA and they also have their email listed in their signature, send them an email and ask them about their TA.

I know I got a little lengthy in my response, but I hope it helps.

I appreciate your experienced reply and how you have developed positive relationships with your PCC's (while I am still working I can only dream of taking a 30 day cruise). That said I have never had a PCC that has shown extraordinary knowledge of their product. From being told that my aft suite balcony on NCL Jade was a wraparound to being offered an 'upgrade' to an obstructed view balcony on X, I have received more incorrect than accurate info. Cruise Critic boards have been the source of 99.9% of cruising knowledge I have acquired.

Since my experiences with PCC's go across several cruise lines I don't think they are atypical.

I find the big box store works well for us. Agents are friendly and easy to reach and the OBC is typically 250-400 per cruise. We have had success in going back for credits/ upgrades after final payment and some agents seem to have a good relationships with the cruiselines. After all the volume they provide must be substantial. We use a Chase Reserve for payment which offers trip cancellation, evacuation, and a healthy point return.

While I would never claim this is the optimal arrangement for everyone it works well for us. JMHO

Two big reasons:

1. DaveOKC provided the first - better chance at the best upsells - no middleman to hold things up.
  2. I have seen evidence of HAL using targeted pricing based on Mariner status, spending habits, and booking habit (direct versus TA). I believe HAL is providing better prices to customers who usually book direct.

Two big reasons:

1. DaveOKC provided the first - better chance at the best upsells - no middleman to hold things up.
  2. I have seen evidence of HAL using targeted pricing based on Mariner status, spending habits, and booking habit (direct versus TA). I believe HAL is providing better prices to customers who usually book direct.

1. My TA has never failed to get me an upsell. I transfer my bookings from the PCC to the TA prior to final payment date. When I left the booking with the PCC, there were no upsell offers.

Two big reasons:

I wonder about the second point. If external travel agents or agencies found out that HAL, or any other line for that matter, was undermining their business by offering in-house only incentives I think there would be a "rebellion". External TAs have already flexed their influence at least once before by getting the cruise lines to limit Internet based TAs out and out advertising of their discounted fares.

I wonder about the second point. If external travel agents or agencies found out that HAL, or any other line for that matter, was undermining their business by offering in-house only incentives I think there would be a "rebellion". External TAs have already flexed their influence at least once before by getting the cruise lines to limit Internet based TAs out and out advertising of their discounted fares.

Your point is a good one, however, there are plenty of postings on CC citing arbitrary pricing. My evidence is purely circumstantial, but there have to be reasons for such pricing arbitrariness. My belief is that when booking direct, HAL has access to all of your on board spending and booking habits and the agent or PCC has discretion to quote a special price (not visible on the HAL website) based on what they see.

If there are any pricing geeks out there who would like to compare notes, contact me at chrisbu315atyahoodotcom

Your point is a good one, however, there are plenty of postings on CC citing arbitrary pricing.
But without any way to validate the report. How often are those reports really apples-and-oranges in a way the reporter either didn't realize or didn't care enough to relay? Just last week someone reported arbitrary pricing for one of the cruise lines, Royal Caribbean or Carnival, but it seemed likely that what the passenger was seeing was the impact of capacity controls on various pricing offers interacting with people (like me) working our way through the booking engine, holding cabins along the way. That's not arbitrary. Rather it is very predictable but requires perfect information to see that.

My experience with PCC versus TA is that TA's often have a basket of goodies i.e Free Gratuities, OBC that PCC do not have. On the other hand, PCC have as I am handicapped access to cabins that for example are near elevator's in the stern of the ship (less walking to dining venues) that suit me that TA's don't have in their inventory.

Last January I booked with a PCC and found a TA had Free gratuities and the PCC graciously transferred my booking to a TA as the trip was lengthy and it was hundreds of dollars.

Cruise lines have made a policy not to offend their valued TA's by allowing them perks to pass on that their PCC's do not have.

Does anyone remember the Cruise Line that did offend the TA industry and filed bankruptsy shortly thereafter ?????? Most of that line's ships are still in service with other cruise lines.

Edited by EDLOS
More info

Your point is a good one, however, there are plenty of postings on CC citing arbitrary pricing. My evidence is purely circumstantial, but there have to be reasons for such pricing arbitrariness. My belief is that when booking direct, HAL has access to all of your on board spending and booking habits and the agent or PCC has discretion to quote a special price (not visible on the HAL website) based on what they see.

If there are any pricing geeks out there who would like to compare notes, contact me at chrisbu315atyahoodotcom

Your belief sounds good, in theory, but have you ever tested it? I have never found that HAL would negotiated a lower price through a PCC. Perhaps I am doing something wrong? Has anyone else been able to negotiate with a HAL PCC? I know that Celebrity will do so, however. As a matter of fact, the prices that we have gotten from a TA are 10 - 12% lower than HAL's listed price.

But without any way to validate the report. How often are those reports really apples-and-oranges in a way the reporter either didn't realize or didn't care enough to relay? Just last week someone reported arbitrary pricing for one of the cruise lines, Royal Caribbean or Carnival, but it seemed likely that what the passenger was seeing was the impact of capacity controls on various pricing offers interacting with people (like me) working our way through the booking engine, holding cabins along the way. That's not arbitrary. Rather it is very predictable but requires perfect information to see that.

I fully agree with your point on capacity, but I recently did an experiment with two other CC posters with identical Mariner status where we both went down the booking path simultaneously for the same cruise and cabin. The result? Significant price differences. The only conclusion I could reach was price targeting based on HAL's knowledge of the website visitor, assuming, of course, that they logged in, which they did in both cases.

Offering special prices to specific customers is nothing new in the era of ecommerce on many other sophisticated websites in and outside the travel industry, but may answer the question posed in the original posting.

I fully agree with your point on capacity, but I recently did an experiment with two other CC posters with identical Mariner status where we both went down the booking path simultaneously for the same cruise and cabin. The result? Significant price differences. The only conclusion I could reach was price targeting based on HAL's knowledge of the website visitor, assuming, of course, that they logged in, which they did in both cases.

Offering special prices to specific customers is nothing new in the era of ecommerce on many other sophisticated websites in and outside the travel industry, but may answer the question posed in the original posting.

Did you mean that one Mariner went through the booking process with a PCC, and the other Mariner used an outside TA? And if so, did the other use just one TA or compare prices with more than one TA?