Sun Princess vs Golden Princess

jayde43

Hi all,

There are two South Pacific cruises that I'm interested in as both itineraries sound amazing! I haven't sailed with Princess before and wanted to get some views on which ship is better between the Sun and the Golden. I have read the specs for both but always find getting an opinion from someone on here is always extremely helpful.

Look forward to you thoughts.

Cheers Debbi :)

I like both and they both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Yes, Sun is smaller and older but I love the Atrium area on this ship. Crooners is the heart of the ship at night, and the International Cafe seems less crowded. The bathrooms are better, at least for inside cabins.

I prefer the Wheelhouse Bar on Golden, it's cosier. The inside cabins are bigger (except for the bathrooms which are ridiculously tiny). We love The Sanctuary and it is nicer on Golden with the close proximity to the Lotus Spa Pool.

I like them both.

The cabins are smaller on the Sun Princess. The balcony cabins are cut from the hull and the balconies are pretty small. I thought someone told me the mini suites on the Sun (which are really large) are being reclassified as suites. They had a great pizzeria that has been replaced by Share :( I actually like the layout better on the Sun Class ships and prefer less passengers.

The Golden has larger cabins, larger balconies, a covered pool. More options overall.

If you are used to a more modern ship, I would go with Golden. I would be torn as I fell in love with cruising on the Sun Princess and still think highly of her but am disappointed with the loss of the pizzeria.

Edited by Coral

I like them both.

The cabins are smaller on the Sun Princess. The balcony cabins are cut from the hull and the balconies are pretty small. I thought someone told me the mini suites on the Sun (which are really large) are being reclassified as suites. They had a great pizzeria that has been replaced by Share :( I actually like the layout better on the Sun Class ships and prefer less passengers.

The Golden has larger cabins, larger balconies, a covered pool. More options overall.

If you are used to a more modern ship, I would go with Golden. I would be torn as I fell in love with cruising on the Sun Princess and still think highly of her but am disappointed with the loss of the pizzeria.

I'm trying to decide verandah cabin or premium ocean view on Sun. The latter is 16 sq.m. (173 sq ft) but I've seen balcony cabins listed as both 222 sq ft and 179 sq ft, balcony included. That would make the actual room only 14 sq m!!! Can you help please? I would really appreciate it.

I'm trying to decide verandah cabin or premium ocean view on Sun. The latter is 16 sq.m. (173 sq ft) but I've seen balcony cabins listed as both 222 sq ft and 179 sq ft, balcony included. That would make the actual room only 14 sq m!!! Can you help please? I would really appreciate it.

Rumor is - they decided to add the balcony cabins right before they started construction. Not sure how true this is but it wouldn't surprise me! The balcony cabins feel like they were cut short in order to accommodate the balcony. The balconies are not that deep and they are entirely covered and cut from the hull. You will have to do a search to see this.

See if I can come up with some pics - these are from the Dawn but they are sister ships - I have inside and balcony cabin pics. When on the Sun Princess, we got upgraded to a handicapped outside cabin so my picture would not be very good on that one. Note these are old cabins (tv may be replaced, etc..).

dawn.jpg.640a01a02cb39f34bf10d712339f2167.jpg

dawn2.jpg.7316b379057af492663b9bbdb82d134f.jpg

dawn3.jpg.d80f43f1aa7ff5cfe4469a490233cf62.jpg

dawn4.jpg.f2c2140fe52fb5163f071c58cd73394b.jpg

dawn5.jpg.fee211f70d6d9e146289e0f6cbdb2ae5.jpg

Edited by Coral

The Sun has a nice, wide, fully wrap around promenade deck. The Golden also has a nice promenade deck, but not as wide. It goes up on stairs, one level for going around the front (bow). Both are good, but promenade lovers will prefer the Sun's.

The Golden's larger theater is easier to get around, with side aisles for entering and exiting. Nice! Definitely prefer the Golden's theater.

The Golden has the Crown Grill and Sabatini's, which I prefer to Sun's Sterling Steakhouse and Share. (These are premium restaurants, with an additional charge.) On the Sun in October, they refused to give me reservations for the Sterling Steakhouse, even though I called the Dine Line early when I first boarded. This never ever happened to me on the Golden or other Grand Class ships. (They did allow me to dine there, on the Sun, on a walk up basis, without reservations.)

I took the Sun around New Zealand, which was a fantastic itinerary.

I would choose the Golden, if both itineraries were equally good.

Enjoy!

Edited by Cruisin'Rabbit

On one cruise we had a balcony cabin on deck 9. These balconies are definitely "in hull" and are different from the balconies on deck 10 and 11. The balcony on deck 9 was 1.1metres wide. The balcony cabins on decks 10 and 11 are larger and the balconies better than those on deck 9. :)

On one cruise we had a balcony cabin on deck 9. These balconies are definitely "in hull" and are different from the balconies on deck 10 and 11. The balcony on deck 9 was 1.1metres wide. The balcony cabins on decks 10 and 11 are larger and the balconies better than those on deck 9. :)

On Sun? All the balconies are in hull - we had one on deck 10. They aren't big but the two chairs and a table fit there quite nicely and the small ledge either side was very useful for putting stuff on. The advantage of these is that they are still useable in inclement weather. We sat on our balcony on a couple of quite windy days - windy enough that the Sanctuary was closed - and were quite comfortable. We even had a balcony dinner out there one fairly windy night - the flowers had to stay inside but we were sheltered enough.

The Sun has anytime dining, starting either April or May. We have a cruise in August and have anytime dining confirmed

Do you know if that will be for all its cruises or just specific itineraries? Will be a bonus if they bring in ATD. Much prefer it to traditional.

Do you know if that will be for all its cruises or just specific itineraries? Will be a bonus if they bring in ATD. Much prefer it to traditional.

It appears ATD is coming to Sun and Sea for good:

http://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/whats-included/

ANYTIME DINING

Not available on Dawn and Pacific Princess. Not available on Diamond Princess while in Japan. Available on Sea Princess effective September 19, 2017 and on Sun Princess effective April 25, 2017.

Hi Debbie.

Just completed a 25 nighter on the golden in October/November. I am going to disagree with some of the other posters here on this thread. Although we thoroughly enjoyed our cruise we probably wouldnt sail on the golden again unless all the maintenance issues were addressed and the cruise director and entertainment lifted its game.

On a positive note the food and staff were good to excellent.

Have a great cruise which ever ship you choose to pick.

Edited by portcbob

Hi Debbie.

Just completed a 25 nighter on the golden in October/November. I am going to disagree with some of the other posters here on this thread. Although we thoroughly enjoyed our cruise we probably wouldnt sail on the golden again unless all the maintenance issues were addressed and the cruise director and entertainment lifted its game.

On a positive note the food and staff were good to excellent.

Have a great cruise which ever ship you choose to pick.

Thanks for that! (and thanks to everyone for their opinions).

I'm leaning towards the Sun because less people on board and it's about $500 cheaper for only 1 night less. The itinerary is great: Vanuatu and New Caledonia. But it all depends on my friend and which she prefers... Will decide one day hehehehe.

Cheers

Debbi :)