Wine By The Glass -Limited choices, even with Premium Package

tnfcruise

I am in the camp that although I feel Celebrity's wine/cocktail prices are high there are enjoyable wines available within and over the premium drink package limit. It is laughable that some people think the wines available by the glass are not drinkable.

I know the wines by the glass options on Princess are less expensive, but are they more drinkable?

It is laughable that some people think the wines available by the glass are not drinkable.

This is the internet so it doesn't matter, but I'd love to set up some real world blind tastings for those people. Done this before with friends / self proclaimed wine experts with very interesting results! :D

I agree. This was our one complaint on Solstice last summer. We upgraded to Premium and we only drink Red. Thought we would have plenty of options and were extremely limited. By the 4th day of the cruise we literally had only ONE choice of Pinot Noir (and I am pretty sure they were out of one of them from the very first day which made absolutely no sense to me). If we had a truly good bartender they would go looking for other choices but often they were too busy to leave the bar. I will upgrade again next time just for the chance that they may have more choices and so I can get that random shot of Bailey's at dinner or that Bloody Mary with Grey Goose but I am not holding my breath for many wine choices. I don't think it is expecting too much to have at least 3 decent Pinot Noirs available, that has to be one of the most popular Reds.

Edited by BigB0882

I am in the camp that although I feel Celebrity's wine/cocktail prices are high there are enjoyable wines available within and over the premium drink package limit. It is laughable that some people think the wines available by the glass are not drinkable.

I know the wines by the glass options on Princess are less expensive, but are they more drinkable?

This is the internet so it doesn't matter, but I'd love to set up some real world blind tastings for those people. Done this before with friends / self proclaimed wine experts with very interesting results! :D

I was actually surprised that my topic got up to 100 replies before these kinds of comments.

So, in my defense--

I never said that all the wines available by the glass are not drinkable. There have been some in the Classic package I don't want to drink, even if offered at no charge. I'm not a wine snob, and I can enjoy an occasional glass of Two Buck Chuck.

I can be a bit hyperbolic at times, but the overall discussion has gone just as I hoped. Many of us wine drinkers are simply looking for more (and interesting) choices, at all price points, without gouging. Suite/Luminae guests seem to be pretty happy with what's available to them, and I'd hope that breadth of selection can trickle down to us.

Flame away, boys.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

For those who believe that wine drinkers cannot taste the difference between wines, you might want to backtrack that. Can you taste a difference between a bud light and a sam adams? Or the difference between Popov vodka and Stoli? I'm guessing yes.

Similarly, most of the people expressing interest in a more varied selection are looking for choices so they can find something that they enjoy. While price is one factor that I can reasonably expect Celebrity to use to exclude wines (they're not going to pour a $40 bottle even in the Premium package), I would expect a much wider variety, even within the same pricing band. That way, I (and others) can find a happy medium... Wine that I enjoy and still meets Celebrity's need for profit. There are many bottles available in the store for $10 - $15 that they could include so that different tastes are accounted for...

Given that Celebrity likes to present themselves as a cut above the mass-market cruise lines (and advertises its Wine Spectator award), it's not unreasonable to think they could have a wider selection.

I did participate in one of the wine tastings offered ($$) on the Dec 17th Reflection. Out of the 12 wines, there was one I liked and one that was ok (for my tastes). And no, they weren't even close to the most expensive they poured. But that is to be expected... Unfortunately it wasn't available by the glass :(

Finding two or three enjoyable (to me) wines on a cruise within the premium package is what I expect. This last time, I found none.

Edited by killsport
adding content re wine tasting

I was actually surprised that my topic got up to 100 replies before these kinds of comments.

So, in my defense--

I never said that all the wines available by the glass are not drinkable. There have been some in the Classic package I don't want to drink, even if offered at no charge. I'm not a wine snob, and I can enjoy an occasional glass of Two Buck Chuck.

I can be a bit hyperbolic at times, but the overall discussion has gone just as I hoped. Many of us wine drinkers are simply looking for more (and interesting) choices, at all price points, without gouging. Suite/Luminae guests seem to be pretty happy with what's available to them, and I'd hope that breadth of selection can trickle down to us.

Flame away, boys.

But were my comments aimed at you? :)

I think it's you doing the flaming. ;)

But for what it's worth they could greatly improve their selections of rioja, gewurztraminer and offer a decent savvy blanc or two from Marlborough. That's just for starters.

I guess if we were talking pinot noir and claret we could possibly write the longest posts this forum has ever seen.

P.S my comment and the one I quoted were aimed at those stating some wines were undrinkable. There's a very big difference between calling something undrinkable and not wanting to drink it for what ever reason. So was my post aimed at you? I'll let you do the maths.... ;)

We had the opposite experience on our recent B2B aboard Eclipse. Maybe it was because we had the Premium Package and dined in Blu or because we described what type of wine we like and what labels we enjoy at home or we were fortunate that the Sommelier, Maya, was outstanding. Or just dumb luck?

We enjoyed a great selection of Pinots (not the KJ junk), Cabs, Merlots, Malbecs, Barolos and Super Tuscans. In 24 nights we never had the same unless we asked for it. When we had lunch win MDR, we asked for a specific wine that we had in Blu and if they didn't have it they got a bottle from somewhere else. We were only denied a certain one once.

So, in my defense--

Flame away, boys.

Your post lead me to reread all the posts on this thread and you are correct neither you or anyone else said all wines by the glass were not drinkable. I do not know if I saw that statement on a different thread or just made a mistake by inferring. Please accept my apology for making that statement since it did appear to be directed at you. I fully understand the point you were making. I have been dining in Luminae and I have dined in the MDR for some time, so my experience may be a little different.

But were my comments aimed at you? :)

I think it's you doing the flaming. ;)

But for what it's worth they could greatly improve their selections of rioja, gewurztraminer and offer a decent savvy blanc or two from Marlborough. That's just for starters.

I guess if we were talking pinot noir and claret we could possibly write the longest posts this forum has ever seen.

P.S my comment and the one I quoted were aimed at those stating some wines were undrinkable. There's a very big difference between calling something undrinkable and not wanting to drink it for what ever reason. So was my post aimed at you? I'll let you do the maths.... ;)

Your post lead me to reread all the posts on this thread and you are correct neither you or anyone else said all wines by the glass were not drinkable. I do not know if I saw that statement on a different thread or just made a mistake by inferring. Please accept my apology for making that statement since it did appear to be directed at you. I fully understand the point you were making. I have been dining in Luminae and I have dined in the MDR for some time, so my experience may be a little different.

I do admit to not only using hyperbole occasionally, but also being a tad sensitive...when jagoffee stated "It's laughable...", I took it as EVERYONE was laughing at ME. And then, Mynki, you quoted that line, so I thought you were joining in the laughter.

I am the only one on this thread who used the term undrinkable, and I realize that was an unfortunate way of starting the topic. I do think, though, that the Celebrity labeled White, that's included as a perk for those in Concierge, IS truly undrinkable.[emoji57][emoji16]

Thank you, both, for adding helpful information, sound opinion, and creative ideas to this forum.

I do admit to not only using hyperbole occasionally, but also being a tad sensitive...when jagoffee stated "It's laughable...", I took it as EVERYONE was laughing at ME. And then, Mynki, you quoted that line, so I thought you were joining in the laughter.

I am the only one on this thread who used the term undrinkable, and I realize that was an unfortunate way of starting the topic. I do think, though, that the Celebrity labeled White, that's included as a perk for those in Concierge, IS truly undrinkable.[emoji57][emoji16]

Thank you, both, for adding helpful information, sound opinion, and creative ideas to this forum.

Rest assured I wasn't laughing at you. I agree with you that there are some terrible wines offered. I've had my share of them.

well, it reads like there are enough individuals or couples who can apply for the position of 'Wine Buyer' for X.

It should be available by the end of this thread life, or so it appears...

bon voyage

p.s. the Head IT position might be available too, especially for those who constantly have issues with accessing X's website and trying to book excursions or 'research' or other such between six (6) months to one (1) year or so in advance of their sailing... ;-)

Edited by Bo1953

I agree. This was our one complaint on Solstice last summer. We upgraded to Premium and we only drink Red. Thought we would have plenty of options and were extremely limited. By the 4th day of the cruise we literally had only ONE choice of Pinot Noir (and I am pretty sure they were out of one of them from the very first day which made absolutely no sense to me). If we had a truly good bartender they would go looking for other choices but often they were too busy to leave the bar. I will upgrade again next time just for the chance that they may have more choices and so I can get that random shot of Bailey's at dinner or that Bloody Mary with Grey Goose but I am not holding my breath for many wine choices. I don't think it is expecting too much to have at least 3 decent Pinot Noirs available, that has to be one of the most popular Reds.

For those who believe that wine drinkers cannot taste the difference between wines, you might want to backtrack that. Can you taste a difference between a bud light and a sam adams? Or the difference between Popov vodka and Stoli? I'm guessing yes.

Similarly, most of the people expressing interest in a more varied selection are looking for choices so they can find something that they enjoy. While price is one factor that I can reasonably expect Celebrity to use to exclude wines (they're not going to pour a $40 bottle even in the Premium package), I would expect a much wider variety, even within the same pricing band. That way, I (and others) can find a happy medium... Wine that I enjoy and still meets Celebrity's need for profit. There are many bottles available in the store for $10 - $15 that they could include so that different tastes are accounted for...

Given that Celebrity likes to present themselves as a cut above the mass-market cruise lines (and advertises its Wine Spectator award), it's not unreasonable to think they could have a wider selection.

I did participate in one of the wine tastings offered ($$) on the Dec 17th Reflection. Out of the 12 wines, there was one I liked and one that was ok (for my tastes). And no, they weren't even close to the most expensive they poured. But that is to be expected... Unfortunately it wasn't available by the glass :(

Finding two or three enjoyable (to me) wines on a cruise within the premium package is what I expect. This last time, I found none.

BigB0882 and killsport, yes, yes, yes!

well, it reads like there are enough individuals or couples who can apply for the position of 'Wine Buyer' for X.

It should be available by the end of this thread life, or so it appears...

bon voyage

Maybe not flaming, but snarky and condescending. Bon voyage to you, Bo1953.

No I wasn't laughing at you. My father was a trained sommelier and owned a wine importation business back in the eighties. As a kid he was always telling me about wine and getting me to try and drink it. I hated the stuff back then which I think disappointed him a bit! :D

Anyway, perhaps the one really useful thing he did teach me was that you should drink what you want, when you want and with whatever you want and not listen to those who tell you what you should like... He'd then add though that it was no coincidence that there were many popular wine pairings.

Anyway, the CC forum is full of sweeping statements about the classic and premium package. What I meant was, it would be interesting to see how many people could tell what was on the classic and what was on the premium package if they were subjected to say a dozen blind tastings. Online many would claim they'd score 12 easily, though in reality I think the results could be quite interesting. Hope that makes sense and that no one feels singled out. :)

p.s. the Head IT position might be available too, especially for those who constantly have issues with accessing X's website and trying to book excursions or 'research' or other such between six (6) months to one (1) year or so in advance of their sailing... ;-)

C'mon Bo1953, now you edit your post with this totally unrelated subject? Please don't use this thread as your bully-pulpit -- start your own topic to chide us who have the temerity to discuss relevant X issues.

Maybe not flaming, but snarky and condescending. Bon voyage to you, Bo1953.

Not condescending at all, not snarky, just a recommendation for anyone who really has a better approach or ideas as to beverages to be available on X or any other cruise line to improve.

Taking on the job will provide an idea of what goes on behind the scenes, good, bad or indifferent.. Could be a dream job for someone who is looking to make as many passengers as possible happy. With their depth of knowledge and learning curve as well...

We can all make suggestions, compliments or criticize yet until we actually work the job, then we will know what goes into the mix of selection. i.e. contracts, supplies, logistics etc... Contacting the Wine Buyer direct may be another route to take to help remedy such situations noted in this thread? Maybe not.

Then again, I do not know what you know about all of this for X, only read and digest what is being posted here by everyone about it...

We all have different wants, needs and expectations on vacations...

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

We like buttery Chardonnays and big peppery cabs, does Celebrity have any wines on the premium package that live up to those characteristics by the glass? It seems like there is lot of knowledge on this thread and would appreciate any direction for our upcoming cruise. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We like buttery Chardonnays and big peppery cabs, does Celebrity have any wines on the premium package that live up to those characteristics by the glass? It seems like there is lot of knowledge on this thread and would appreciate any direction for our upcoming cruise. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Their inventory varies. Best to ask the sommelier exactly as you have asked here. Give an example or two of wines that you enjoy at home or a restaurants. Doing so has worked well for me. Don't be concerned if you don't like the wine. Don't drink it. Tell the sommelier you don't like it and try something else.

Not condescending at all, not snarky, just a recommendation for anyone who really has a better approach or ideas as to beverages to be available on X or any other cruise line to improve.

Taking on the job will provide an idea of what goes on behind the scenes, good, bad or indifferent.. Could be a dream job for someone who is looking to make as many passengers as possible happy. With their depth of knowledge and learning curve as well...

We can all make suggestions, compliments or criticize yet until we actually work the job, then we will know what goes into the mix of selection. i.e. contracts, supplies, logistics etc... Contacting the Wine Buyer direct may be another route to take to help remedy such situations noted in this thread? Maybe not.

Then again, I do not know what you know about all of this for X, only read and digest what is being posted here by everyone about it...

We all have different wants, needs and expectations on vacations...

bon voyage

This does not take a pHD in Oenophile Studies! Yes, folks have different tastes and any cruise line should try to satisfy as many folks as reasonably possible...given financial restraints. But when it comes to wine it is not really that difficult to offer a rotating or expanded selection of wines by the glass. In Blu, a few weeks ago, there was not a single decent Cabernet Sauvignon available...even though we were willing to pay an extra charge over the $13 Premium Limit. It was the same with Malbec....as there was only a single Malbec which was not even representative of the most popular full-bodied style of that grape. Of course the answer you get on board is "if you are willing to buy a full bottle we have an expanded list." But folks are already paying over $60 per passenger day for a Premium Drink package and should not have to beg to get a decent glass of wine. Yes, most of the available wines are drinkable. But if doing a 14 day (or longer cruise) one should not be put in a situation where they have to constantly drink the same 2 or 3 wines.

Another issue for drink packages is the difficulty in getting a printed listing of what is available. In most cases we had to specify the type grape and then the Sommelier could tell us what she had....or in some cases, tell us there was nothing good in that category. Printing out a small listing of available wines by the glass...and putting that on each table would not take a major effort. It would also save time for Sommelier...who would no longer have to spend several minutes at each table answering the same question over and over again, "what is available."

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

This does not take a pHD in Oenophile Studies! Yes, folks have different tastes and any cruise line should try to satisfy as many folks as reasonably possible...given financial restraints. But when it comes to wine it is not really that difficult to offer a rotating or expanded selection of wines by the glass. In Blu, a few weeks ago, there was not a single decent Cabernet Sauvignon available...even though we were willing to pay an extra charge over the $13 Premium Limit. It was the same with Malbec....as there was only a single Malbec which was not even representative of the most popular full-bodied style of that grape. Of course the answer you get on board is "if you are willing to buy a full bottle we have an expanded list." But folks are already paying over $60 per passenger day for a Premium Drink package and should not have to beg to get a decent glass of wine. Yes, most of the available wines are drinkable. But if doing a 14 day (or longer cruise) one should not be put in a situation where they have to constantly drink the same 2 or 3 wines.

Another issue for drink packages is the difficulty in getting a printed listing of what is available. In most cases we had to specify the type grape and then the Sommelier could tell us what she had....or in some cases, tell us there was nothing good in that category. Printing out a small listing of available wines by the glass...and putting that on each table would not take a major effort. It would also save time for Sommelier...who would no longer have to spend several minutes at each table answering the same question over and over again, "what is available."

Hank

Agree 100%. And as Malbec is a fairly inexpensive wine this is really inexcusable.

Hank

Agree 100%. And as Malbec is a fairly inexpensive wine this is really inexcusable.

Right on, Hank! And, I'd add Spanish Riojas to the inexpensive, should be readily available list, Mynki.

Right on, Hank! And, I'd add Spanish Riojas to the inexpensive, should be readily available list, Mynki.

Indeed, I'd love to see more on the menu. A good Reserva or good Gran Reserva can rival a much more costly (and fashionable) pinot noir or cabernet sauvignon. They offer fantastic value for money IMHO.