Wine By The Glass -Limited choices, even with Premium Package

tnfcruise

I

I don't fully understand the angst of not having more exclusive by the glass wines on a cruise- kind of like banging the food because it is not really high end. It is what it is and while I would personally enjoy better wine selections, I am happy living in the world of mid level food and wines since I am paying for a mid level cruise experience on a mainstream cruise line. JMHO

But it's called the Premium not the Mid Level Drink package . :p

I read this entire thread just now and appreciate all the comments. We are looking at an Equinox cruise next year and although we are far from wine aficionados we enjoy a good glass or two with dinner.

I've learned two things from this thread:

1. If I'm upgrading to premium it is because I want Reyka in my Bloody Marys; and

2. I should temper my expectations about the potential wine selections, but may be pleasantly surprised.

Also, Here is a RC wine list from last year for those who know more than me about wine. Thought it might be good for comparisons.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=49238603&postcount=13

We did the beverage packages on two Celebrity cruises and found ways to enjoy the wine but it was never easy. Lots of discussion with wine steward. DH upgraded, etc. Just alot of hassle for something that should be enjoyable.

We currently have two cruises booked.

One on Carnival. I know (boo-hiss) however 7 nights in Jan and drive to the port. Set expectations on food properly. However the beverage package is no issue. The choices are very close to Celebrity's and other cruise lines. It is never included. You pay for it if you chose to. Includes soda, water, coffees, alcohol, and wine. The wine by the glass is almost exactly the same as the list posted earlier for Celebrity (lots of KJ). The fine print is only 15 alcoholic beverages a day and price limit is $50 per drink so it covers any drink on the ship. Cost of the package is about $50 per day. Yes, I know most Celebrity cruisers are not interested in Carnival but at least realize what another line does for their drink packages.

Second cruise booked is on Oceania. The House Beverage Package which is one of the perks for booking is the house wine and beer at lunch and dinner only. They also offer a generous OBC for booking. We took the OBC. They allow unlimited carryon of wine and alcohol, corkage is $25 which we will pay with OBC.

I guess I am just pointing out that people do notice the details and some vote with their bookings.

We do enjoy Celebrity but we also enjoy wine with dinner. We see what the reports are going forward. Cheers.

EXACTLY. I just want to get what I pay for! The premium upgrade is not cheap!

The last time I looked it was about $11.50 a day more which is not much if you drink some of the Premium items. If you are Elite Plus....there used to be a 10% Off coupon for drink packages among the coupons waiting in the cabin. We have successfully (twice) used that coupon for the upgrade which saves a few dollars.

Hank

The last time I looked it was about $11.50 a day more which is not much if you drink some of the Premium items. If you are Elite Plus....there used to be a 10% Off coupon for drink packages among the coupons waiting in the cabin. We have successfully (twice) used that coupon for the upgrade which saves a few dollars.

Hank

Hank

When you used the coupon for the upgrade (making it $9/pp/day + gratuity) had you been given the classic package as a perk or had you purchased the classic package?

Hank

When you used the coupon for the upgrade (making it $9/pp/day + gratuity) had you been given the classic package as a perk or had you purchased the classic package?

We had the Classic Package as a perk. We were successful in using the coupon for the past 2 years on the 14 day Eclipse cruise to the Caribbean. The first time we did this....we purchased the upgrade as soon as we boarded. Later when we finally went to our cabin we saw the coupon...so eventually stopped at Guest Relations where they forwarded all the info to the Beverage Manager who did gives us credit for the discount. There have been some other posts here on CC...that claimed the coupon was not valid on the upgrade. However, the language on the coupon (at least for last year) said that it was 10% Off of the purchase of any Beverage Package....and there was no fine print that excluded upgrades (which is technically purchasing the Premium Package). We do not know if that coupon is still part of the Elite Plus package...or if they have now excluded upgrades.

Hank

• 1 month later...
I understand your points but the premium package is an option- I am not sure where the broken promises and scam come in. If they promised Jordan and Penfold's Grange BTG and said they were out OK. Again different ships and dining venues apparently have variety of premium wines so it is difficult to make an across the fleet judgement. I am clearly not that focused on it but I always have been able to find some OK premium wines at every venue. Additionally, there are many who buy it (premium package) to enjoy higher end hard liquors and cordials. I don't fully understand the angst of not having more exclusive by the glass wines on a cruise- kind of like banging the food because it is not really high end. It is what it is and while I would personally enjoy better wine selections, I am happy living in the world of mid level food and wines since I am paying for a mid level cruise experience on a mainstream cruise line. JMHO

Rated - A+

We purchase the premium package not only for the wine, but for the liquor as well.

Usually, the sommelier is able to find something to my liking in the MDR without much of a wait and have several different types available when we done there. Most are not on the menu either.

Bon voyage

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

On our last cruise May 2017. We had the premium drink package. In Luminae I was served Mer Soleil chardonnay with my PDP. I did not ask for it, but it is my favorite chardonnay. I have paid $25 per glass on another Celebrity cruise while having dinner in Murano restaurant. I think I pay about $30 for a full bottle at home.

Not snobbish..but I will quote a dear friend, who owned a wine shop way back when..."if you like it..it's a fine wine"! Enjoy[emoji485]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The four kinds of wine:

Red Wine

White Wine

Wine you like

Wine you don't

Honestly, this is my only Celebrity complaint!

I'm happy with many of the changes that the cruise line (Lisa) have made and my recent sailings have been nothing but marvelous. But, come on! Wine choices, by the glass, are pretty pitiful. Although no wine expert, I know my way around Reds. Most of the choices in the Classic Package are barely drinkable, IMO, and I don't find many in the Premium to my liking (even the ones I pay a few dollars extra per glass, because they're over the cap).

It frosts my cookies, when I've willingly paid an already steep price for the Premium Package, to have to buy "good" wines by the bottle.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Talk to Lisa. It is the trend of dumbing down everything unless you pay more and then when we are trained to pay more, the eliminate lots of previously included stuff. Hope you do not think Lisa is here to help you/us. She represents stockholders and her bonuses

To be fair, I just notice my M&Ms bag is now smaller for the same low price!

We are currently sailing Infinity and have the Premium package. Our sommelier in Luminae has been pouring us Mer Soleil (which we love), although it is not listed on the by-the-glass menu, and there's no surcharge over the $13 limit. On the other hand, we like the La Crema (Willamette) Pinot Noir which sells for $16 by the glass, but, unfortunately, it's not currently in stock here in Infinity. We enjoyed a glass of Foley Pinot Noir in Cellar Masters and happily paid the $6 or $7 upcharge. Later, in Luminae, when we found out the La Crema Willamette wasn't in stock, we asked for Foley, which is not on the by-the-glass menu. Our sommelier initially said "no", but then offered to get it for us in Cellar Masters where it IS sold by the glass!

So it's a bit rough to know exactly what's available and in stock and what they will (and won't) serve/sell by the glass. And we have more than indicated to the sommelier we're all too willing to pay surcharges over $13 a glass for a more premium wine experience.

As the cruise continues, I think I'll try our luck that Hank described (the 5 glasses per bottle theory guarantee) on higher-priced wines if our Sommelier will agree on the per glass surcharge.

Interesting (and disappointing) that Mer Soleil isn't on the wines by the glass list, since it's prominently featured in the advertising. It was on the list on Solstice.

I understand your points but the premium package is an option- I am not sure where the broken promises and scam come in. If they promised Jordan and Penfold's Grange BTG and said they were out OK. Again different ships and dining venues apparently have variety of premium wines so it is difficult to make an across the fleet judgement. I am clearly not that focused on it but I always have been able to find some OK premium wines at every venue. Additionally, there are many who buy it (premium package) to enjoy higher end hard liquors and cordials. I don't fully understand the angst of not having more exclusive by the glass wines on a cruise- kind of like banging the food because it is not really high end. It is what it is and while I would personally enjoy better wine selections, I am happy living in the world of mid level food and wines since I am paying for a mid level cruise experience on a mainstream cruise line. JMHO

My issue would be if the wines listed on the package aren't available and a comparable substitute isn't offered. I can live with the small choice, but if a ship is out of one of the options, they should offer something else. Otherwise it's not a leap to imagine them being out of everything and making people live with the classic package offerings, which would indeed be a scam IMO.

Interesting (and disappointing) that Mer Soleil isn't on the wines by the glass list, since it's prominently featured in the advertising. It was on the list on Solstice.

My issue would be if the wines listed on the package aren't available and a comparable substitute isn't offered. I can live with the small choice, but if a ship is out of one of the options, they should offer something else. Otherwise it's not a leap to imagine them being out of everything and making people live with the classic package offerings, which would indeed be a scam IMO.

You would think that they would provide an appropriate substitution. I think it could be a bait and switch scheme that so many of us will just accept as they beam with pride on their net income numbers, etc. rising at the last quarterly call.

This is why governement oversight gets into businesses business. I hate governement management of private businesses, so it distresses me to see a business like Celebrity have so many issues that seem to contradict their stated goal of being 'modern luxury, especially when they are making so much profit! IMHO!

I would trust that were disappointed in any aspect of their dining or beverage experience, that they would visit the hotel or f&b manager asap and get it addressed immediately.

Do not wait until you return to come here to complain about it again, if not addressed on board.

Bon voyage

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

hNzxIh2MscHkyJFY2While on Equinox in April/May, we had to request the wine list as it was not offered when we were seated in the MDR. A very short list of wines was provided in the dinner menu itself. However, that list didn't include the wines were being recommended on the CC boards (Mer Soleil Chardonnay and Decoy Cabernet Sauvignon).

I don't know whether they were available at the bars since we didn't order any wine from the bars.

While on Equinox in April/May, we had to request the wine list as it was not offered when we were seated in the MDR. A very short list of wines was provided in the dinner menu itself. However, that list didn't include the premium beverage package wines-by-the-glass that have been recommended on the CC boards (Mer Soleil Chardonnay and Decoy Cabernet Sauvignon). Quivera Dry Creek Valley Zinfandel is on this wine list, as is Cherry Tart Pinot Noir, Emmolo Sauvignon Blanc and Domaine Chandon Brut (only sparking wine on the premium beverage package list). There were a total of 8 red wines, 7 white wines, one rose and one sparkling wine on the premium beverage package wines-by-the-glass list.

There were 8 red wines, 6 white wines, 2 roses and 3 sparkling wines on the classic beverage package list.

Prior to our asking for the wine list, the sommeliers were not making very many suggestions. They were just pouring whatever they were carrying around the dining room. Quite different from our prior experiences in the MDR and Blu. I was really disappointed by this, especially because we had the premium beverage package for the first time. After a few evenings of this, I decided to deal with my continued frustration with non communicative sommeliers by (1) asking to be seated in a different section of the dining room (we had Select Dining) and (2) asking for the wine list when we were seated. Having the wine list in hand improved our wine and dinner experience quite a bit. Our remaining dinners in the MDR were quite nice and the wines we were served (Decoy Cabernet Sauvignon and Mer Soleil Chardonnay) were better than the wines poured the first few nights IMHO.

I don't know which of these wines were available at different bars or in the specialty restaurants since we ordered wine only in the MDR.

I have tried to post a photo of the wine list here but can't seem to get it to work. Sorry!