Wine By The Glass -Limited choices, even with Premium Package

tnfcruise

I agree with the OP. My Husband and I have only one significant complaint with Celebrity: the lack of decent wines by the glass that are included in the premium package. We enjoy many varietals, and are used to having options, both at home and in restaurants. Having such a limited wine list definitely impacts our dining experience. The lack of good Chardonnays, Pinot Noirs, and Red Zinfandels is unacceptable. Many excellent wineries produce delicious wines at reasonable prices. I can't see why Celebrity can't manage to provide these.

Preach it, Sister!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I'm with you! Until I started this thread, I thought I was the only one who'd had the type of experience you mentioned...in my case, during my most recent cruise, it was Pinot Noir...there were none offered in the Classic and only one in the Premium (which runs about $14 a bottle in my local supermarket).

How much do the same vintages cost in your local fine dining establishment you frequent and purchase a bottle of wine from?

bon voyage

I had the same experience on our 14 day Southern Caribbean sail on Eclipse this November.

I upgraded to premium on day one to enjoy the wines listed on the premium package. (Chandon)( Kendall Jackson Pinot Noir) and was told the first 4 days-nights they were "out".

I complained to guest relations finally in day 5 and suddenly they were "found". This also happened on a Royal Cruise last May. I really don't like the game playing. I don't expect to have these offered at the pool bar but the Sky lounge and Ensemble Lounge should have these choices available. If I am to sail again I will just forgo the package and bring on 2 great bottles!

Cheers!

Many of the wines I enjoy are <$15/btl. I agree if it tastes good to you, it is a good wine! However, the 4x (or more) pricing that is on the Celebrity ships is unheard of on land-based restaurants (that stay in business). Commonly 2.75x - 3.25x is accepted in fine dining; 2x - 2.5x in casual dining.

As Celebrity proudly advertises (both on board and on land) of their Wine Spectator award, I expect a decent variety. Every time I've traveled, the selection is smaller and the prices are higher. They've passed the point where I find it to be of value. Others may still find value in it, and I wish them well.

On our last TA in November the sommelier in Luminae would bring us wine without even thinking about the price or what beverage package you had. He was so friendly and accommodating and would simply ask us "What are you having for dinner?" and then bring us a wine that was the PERFECT pairing. One night after dinner I asked about Icewine. He smiled and came back shortly with a Tokaij, a dessert wine that usually sells for $50US+ a bottle. We had a glass and he came back and refilled them - twice. We ended up finishing off the bottle. So each wine experience is different.

Luminae and Michaels are a totally different story. We had same experience there and every night prior to leaving our Sommelier would bring my wife a full, to go, glass. But, in the bars and if you are not in Suite it is more limited than it used to be.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

I agree this is a problem. I also ran into an issue on one sailing where a wine I enjoyed by the glass in cellar masters was available in the Lawn Club Grill only by the bottle! How much sense does that make?

I would like to see more wine options by the glass even with an upcharge. It's better than the limited menu available now.

One decent red and one decent white is all we ask. On our upcoming cruise I will try them all and let everyone know if there are any good ones available [emoji57] It's the least we can do to help our fellow CC members out!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

One decent red and one decent white is all we ask. On our upcoming cruise I will try them all and let everyone know if there are any good ones available [emoji57] It's the least we can do to help our fellow CC members out!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I appreciate the sacrifice you are willing to make.

I had the same experience on our 14 day Southern Caribbean sail on Eclipse this November.

I upgraded to premium on day one to enjoy the wines listed on the premium package. (Chandon)( Kendall Jackson Pinot Noir) and was told the first 4 days-nights they were "out".

I complained to guest relations finally in day 5 and suddenly they were "found". This also happened on a Royal Cruise last May. I really don't like the game playing. I don't expect to have these offered at the pool bar but the Sky lounge and Ensemble Lounge should have these choices available. If I am to sail again I will just forgo the package and bring on 2 great bottles!

Cheers!

On our cruise in November on Reflection, we were looking forward to some decent wines by the glass. We didn't mind paying an upcharge for a good premium glass, but they didn't have good ones available. When I say, "good" I don't mean "expensive." We found one we liked, and the sommelier said it was unavailable the next day. We did try to "engage" with the sommelier but that got us nowhere. The F&B staff involved in selecting wine are doing a lousy job unless it's intentional to get people to buy bottles which is frustrating.

Unless this situation improves, we will bring on 2 bottles next cruise. I also like the idea to check Cellar Masters which we have not yet tried.

For an upscale cruise line, the wines are very downscale!:(:(

Very disappointing experience over the last 2 years with Celebrity and wines. The same wine that I drank 2 years ago at $15.00 a glass ( I was willing to pay $2.00 overage for each glass) is now $22.00 a glass. The price of the same bottle at home has not changed in those 2 years. So, now if I drink 4 glass at $22.00 each and pay the overage of $9.00 for each glass, I just purchased the bottle at a 50% premium over retail cost and the drink package was worthless!

Solution...BYOW...Bring your own wine!:D:D = ZERO revenue for Celebrity!

BILL

How much do the same vintages cost in your local fine dining establishment you frequent and purchase a bottle of wine from?

bon voyage

Kendall-Jackson Pinot Noir (which I don't particularly care for) is $6-7 a glass at local restaurants. To think it's considered Premium by Celebrity is a joke, in my opinion.

We mostly buy wine by the bottle when we're out to dinner. We're in a county that allows restaurants to sell whole bottles or re-cork unfinished wine to take home. One of our fave local restaurants sells bottles at retail price every Wednesday! $25-40 gets us a wonderful bottles, and they tend to get in some interesting varietals from all over.

When we have a Premium Bev Package (either as a Go Best perk or as an upgrade) why would I want to buy a bottle of wine, even at the 20% discount? I'm willing to pay a couple bucks up-charge for a really good glass, but not $50+ for the bottle, when I've already coughed up $70+ a day for the package.

Yes, I've conversed with the sommeliers in the MDR and in Cellar Masters on a number of sailings. And, sometimes I've gotten a decent glass (with or without an up-charge) that's not on the per-glass selection list. But, my point is that I don't want to have to chat-up or cajole sommeliers every time I want a good glass of wine.

I'd like to see a much expanded list of available by-the-glass wines, at varying, reasonable price-points.

I absolutely agree with you! Celebrity used to be known for their wine inventory. I was very disappointed with the limited options on our recent cruises.

Oh, no, this is most upsetting... we leave on Monday on the Equinox. We have the Classic package and were going to upgrade onboard to get better wines. (The liquors in the classic package are perfectly fine for us). But if I paid the $140 extra I would expect to be able to find the "premium" wines that are listed.

I understand the statement about the sommelier in Luminae, but the cruiseline has more than made up for the $$ of the wine with the cost of the suite.

So the question is to upgrade or not. We have plenty of wines that we enjoy, but I agree that a KJ does not belong on the premium package.

KJ is the vinter and has several off-springs, is the use of KJ across the board as they have a few 'high end' wines under the KJ label/name...

Know something about the wine KJ produces for X which indicates it is on the low to average end? Or not worthy to be on X or priced incorrectly?

Even when not cruising, I oft times squirm when it comes to ordering wine in a fine restaurant. Then after the second glass all squirming stops and I enjoy it... Some of my favourite eateries are not BYOB as such, I either order or not, pending on mood and guests in attendance...

I treat it similarly aboard. We do bring wine aboard to enjoy on one special night out with new or old friends... vintages which are not available on-board.

One of which generally is a chardonnay by KJ or Jordan....

I drink red's and as such find many a good vintage/type to my liking on-board...

bon voyage

KJ is the vinter and has several off-springs, is the use of KJ across the board as they have a few 'high end' wines under the KJ label/name...

Know something about the wine KJ produces for X which indicates it is on the low to average end? Or not worthy to be on X or priced incorrectly?

Even when not cruising, I oft times squirm when it comes to ordering wine in a fine restaurant. Then after the second glass all squirming stops and I enjoy it... Some of my favourite eateries are not BYOB as such, I either order or not, pending on mood and guests in attendance...

I treat it similarly aboard. We do bring wine aboard to enjoy on one special night out with new or old friends... vintages which are not available on-board.

One of which generally is a chardonnay by KJ or Jordan....

I drink red's and as such find many a good vintage/type to my liking on-board...

bon voyage

I didn't say KJ was not worthy to be on X...but the KJ Pinot Noir that was being poured on my last cruise was the same label, same vintage as what I get in my local store for about $13-18 a bottle. I'd expect it to be available by the glass within the Classic package.

I'm glad you find Reds onboard to your liking...I don't.

And, I don't bring bottles of wine onboard anymore, now that I upgrade to Premium. But I may go back to doing that, with the limited choices of drinkable Reds available. Celebrity will probably like that, because I'll be drinking less of their offerings!

Just off the Eclipse and had the same experience with wine and the premium package. We dined in Luminae and our sommelier worked very hard to find something I liked within the package. She found one in Tuscan Grille but it was the last bottle.

After that, she found a bottle for me from Murano but it was above the package. She did only charge me the difference per glass since purchasing the bottle even with the discount would have been much more. So I ended up drinking two bottles for the price of one with the glass price difference.

Seemed crazy that we had the premium package and we still paid for wine and a few scotches for my husband. Good thing there was OBC to cover it.

Oh, no, this is most upsetting... we leave on Monday on the Equinox. We have the Classic package and were going to upgrade onboard to get better wines. (The liquors in the classic package are perfectly fine for us). But if I paid the $140 extra I would expect to be able to find the "premium" wines that are listed.

I understand the statement about the sommelier in Luminae, but the cruiseline has more than made up for the $$ of the wine with the cost of the suite.

So the question is to upgrade or not. We have plenty of wines that we enjoy, but I agree that a KJ does not belong on the premium package.

At least you didn't upgrade before sailing...check-in with the sommelier in the MDR and Cellar Masters once you're onboard. Find out what's actually in stock and available by the glass before you upgrade. And, as a few folks have indicated on this thread, the wines on the Classic may end up being sufficient. You can always order a full-price glass of better wine here or there that wouldn't total the cost of the upgrade.

I had to laugh at your Luminae statement. I was trying not to be flippant to that poster, but they definitely payed for that dessert wine. I just received an alert for a price-change on my upcoming Eclipse, Concierge Class, sailing. For kicks, I looked to see what a Suite would cost--for only $1K more per-night, I could drink anything I desired!

Just off the Eclipse and had the same experience with wine and the premium package. We dined in Luminae and our sommelier worked very hard to find something I liked within the package. She found one in Tuscan Grille but it was the last bottle.

After that, she found a bottle for me from Murano but it was above the package. She did only charge me the difference per glass since purchasing the bottle even with the discount would have been much more. So I ended up drinking two bottles for the price of one with the glass price difference.

Seemed crazy that we had the premium package and we still paid for wine and a few scotches for my husband. Good thing there was OBC to cover it.

Wow! After reading the other Luminae (suite guest) posting, I thought it was only us "non-suite-ers" that had these issues. Nice that you had that hard-working sommelier.

Thanks so much for posting. I really hope Celebrity pays attention to this thread.

Best way to decide, is check out the various wine lists once you get onboard and then decide. Be sure to check more than one location as I often find the selection different.

If the cost to upgrade to Premium was based purely on wines I doubt I'd do it. When you add in Perrier, San Pelligrino and Vitamin water it helps make sense.

Can anyone give me list of what wines are offered on the PREMIUM pkg?? I have a list of the wines on the CLASSIC pkg, also I heard that the prices have gone up on both PKGS. I mean the drinks, classic was up to $8.50 & Preimum was $13, is that still the rate??? We will be on the REFLECTION DEC.31st.

george35

I’ve asked this before but never found anyone who has done this …. has anyone who had a bev package taken their own bottle of wine to dinner? … if so, did Celeb try to charge you their huge corkage fee even after you showed them you had the pkg? … (and thereby saving Celeb the cost of providing wine). If you did this, was your bottle opened already or unopened?

We’ve got the basic bev package included as a perk next month, and are thinking of using it just for cocktails, beer, pool drinks etc and avoiding the wine selection problem and often slow service by bringing our own, but not if we have to pay $25 a bottle. If they insist on collecting the fee, we could start bringing our own (double) glass to dinner, we see lots of people doing that, but it’s nicer to have the bottle so my DW doesn’t have to walk halfway across the ship in heels balancing a full glass of wine. That was one sweet thing about our last RCL cruise, they dropped the corkage fee, and we somehow came up with 7 bottles of our own to use up. Didn’t have to wait forever for our first glass, and wait forever again for a refill. I guess cash tipping would solve the slow refill problem.