Wine By The Glass -Limited choices, even with Premium Package

tnfcruise

First Celebrity cruise - March 2017.

I see comments about bringing wine on-board. What is the corkage charge for MDR ?

$25.00. If we don't have the drink package and we bring wine aboard we pour a glass of wine in our cabin and carry the glass into the MDR. Totally acceptable with Celebrity.

We agree with the OP's comments on wine. On our most recent Eclipse cruise (where we ate in Blu on many nights) we were very disappointed in the wines by the glass offered for the Premium Package. There was a pretty decent Merlot and Zinfandel. The Cabs were nothing to write home about (2 buck Chuck would put them to shame) and the sole Malbec was not a typically full-boded Malbec...and rather disappointing. The whites were a little better with 2 decent Sauvignon Blancs....but the Chards were all disappointing. When we dined in Murano, they did offer some very good wines by the glass...but most were priced a few dollars over the Premium Package limit (not a big deal.). One of the wine sommeliers told us she wished the company would give them more options. Personally, we think the company chooses wines that will maximize profit rather then the enjoyment of Oenophiles.

We were also very disappointed in the variety of scotches and cognacs in the Ensemble bar. Celebrity has apparently never learned that there is more to Cognac then Remy and Courvoisier. And we would love to see the line expand their scotch offerings with more single malts. Even the World Bar...only focuses on Johnnie Walker...to the exclusion of fine single malts.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Going on the Eclipse next week. I have the classic drink package. Can I get better wines and just pay the wine-by-the-glass difference?

Example, if the wine I want to try is 14$ can I just pay the 5$ difference?

Going on the Eclipse next week. I have the classic drink package. Can I get better wines and just pay the wine-by-the-glass difference?

Example, if the wine I want to try is 14$ can I just pay the 5$ difference?

Simple answer... NO. With the Classic Package, any drink priced above the package is full price. The upgrade option you mention is available only on the Premium package.

The wine on the ship is Mer Soloil. I do like it very much. I also like St. Michelle wines.

Thank you. I'm not familiar with St Michelle but I have enjoyed Mer Soloil. I'm also in Michael's this next cruise and will be looking to taste test. :D

Edited by Jane2357

$25.00. If we don't have the drink package and we bring wine aboard we pour a glass of wine in our cabin and carry the glass into the MDR. Totally acceptable with Celebrity.

Thanks for quick response - Princess is $15.

We just got off the Silhouette a couple of weeks ago and found that Cellar Masters has a better choice of wine than the MDR. We just got a glass there and took it to dinner with us. No problem at all. I'm with Sox59, if you like it, it's a fine wine.

We loved Cellar Masters and also enjoyed some very nice wines there both on the Equinox and the Solstice. Unfortunately, no more Cellar Masters on the Equinox (not sure about the Solstice) and we've encountered the same problem as the OP on our last couple of cruises. One of our table mates even upgraded to the premium beverage package and still couldn't get a decent glass of wine ... even in Murano. He did call the beverage manager and maitre'd over and found a reasonable facsimile to a nice glass of wine but then they ran out.

Unfortunately, I enjoy a nice glass of wine before dinner as well as with dinner and the before dinner option is just not available on the ships without Cellar Masters. You get a choice of the classic red or white or the one premium option, which isn't why we paid the price to upgrade. Oh well ... we were invited to the captain's table the last couple of times and had some wonderful wines so know they are available. If only we could get Cellar Masters back on all their ships, I would be a happy camper!

Having read through this thread 3 times now, I have some similar feelings about all the commentary, but also offer other comments.

I enjoy red wine immensely. I too was exposed to a wine appreciation program (in my last year of residency in OB/GYN in Texas) and grew to appreciate New World reds (American Cab Sauvignon/Merlot/Pinto Noir as well as Australian Shiraz and French Bordeaux and Burgundy)....but always felt guilty spending more than 20-30 dollars a bottle retail....would spend more for special purposes, but still now have a hard time spending more than 30 dollars...

I normally order wine by the bottle on Celebrity ( or any cruise line I have traveled) because I rarely drink any other alcohol and usually only have 2-3 glasses of wine every night at dinner, so have not purchased any drink packages...I have found several good red varietal wine on the wine list, usually in the 30-70 dollar range. I would agree that people who primarily drink Cabs or Merlot or Pilot Noir have a difficult time finding something to like in an acceptable price range...especially when wine lists change and selection availability is spotty....it seems that this selection has gotten more limited in the past few years as well as prices increasing, at times dramatically, in addition to a lack of personnel / sommeliers in the MDR to advise diners of choices ( and GET those choices in a timely manner)...

What to do ? Voicing concerns on CC to commiserate with other like-minded cruisers may be cathartic but probably won't get too much accomplished...Celebrity rarely acknowledges threads like this....probably need to voice concerns on board to head sommeliers and head F&B folks ( like some people who have posted in this thread have done) as well as sending emails and snail mail to corporate HQ in Miami (probably get the address of the people responsible for the ship wide wine program from the above staff on board).....would mention that other cruise lines have more choices for wines by the glass that are more reasonably priced ( Norwegian especially - I looked before I typed this).

What else? For those on a package, try something different...there are other choices besides the Big 3 ( Cab/ Chard/ Pinot). Try a Malbec or a Shiraz instead of a Cab, try that Carmenere or Rioja....white wine people, you are more limited if you usually drink only Chards, sorry...

Finally....yes, there are many reasonably priced reds and whites under 30 dollars produced around the world....some are made in quantities that could support a fleetwide wine program ( read: thousand of cases), but there is much competition for these wines, including other cruise lines, restaurants, resorts, wine stores , etc...maybe Celebrity/RCI should have standing relationships with some of these wineries that produce a lot of wine of many different types - Chateau Ste. Michelle comes to mind ....then they would have a more plentiful supply at reasonable prices...not that would ACTUALLY charge reasonable prices;)

I sail in 3+ weeks on Reflection on a Premium package, so I will report back on my findings in regards to wines by the glass ( and where I found them on ship)....

I also have struggled to find decent wines by the glass with the premium package. When the packages first came out the by the bottle discount was 40% (if I recall correctly) which made that a realistic option.

Many times there are wines by the bottle that I would like to try or I know are better than the ones they are selling by the glass and are the same price by the bottle but they are not available.

Having said that we had a fantastic sommelier on the Solstice when we were in Aqua Class who would get decent wines for us every night. We were a group of 8 who would drink a whole bottle (or a couple of them) every time. It may have helped that on the first night my wife bought a couple of bottles of Dom (with the 40% off) and tipped him $50. After that no issue. On the Century we got great wines in Michaels but the Sommelier in the MDR (no Luminae) didn't want to even enter into a discussion about the wine and choice was limited to the 2 or 3 very ordinary wines. On Equinox last year we were in Luminae and the Sommelier did a reasonable job but not quite as good as the one in Blu (we did tip him $50 as well). Maybe the $50 helped so a good investment. If I knew it would help every time I would give the guy $50 on the first night.

What else? For those on a package, try something different...there are other choices besides the Big 3 ( Cab/ Chard/ Pinot). Try a Malbec or a Shiraz instead of a Cab, try that Carmenere or Rioja....white wine people, you are more limited if you usually drink only Chards, sorry...

Yes, yes, yes. I agree the choices are limited but we learnt to branch out. I'm a wine student, I know wine, I appreciate wine very much. I thought I was a titch high maintenance until I read this thread. Branch out, have the sommelier pour you something unusual. It's just 7 to 12 days out of your life, you'll live.

"You'll live" doesn't match Premium Package.

I enjoy Carmenere, Malbec, Tempranillo, and other reds. The red wine selection on Celebrity (that is included with the Premium Package) has mostly wines that are about $12/bottle (and taste worse). At home I rarely spend more than $13/btl and wouldn't consider them "Premium". I, however, wish they would waive the corkage if you have a package. I mean... you're paying for the bottle not to drink their swill. That should say enough, but then they have the gall to charge $25 for corkage! I understand if you don't have a package... but please!

Or offer better wines. Two more sailings booked on Celebrity. Will likely cancel one or both (not just because of this, but it certainly doesn't help). Castle Rock Pinot for $9-10/glass? It's $10/btl at Total Wine. A 450% markup doesn't fly even in the finest of land based restaurants. At least offer a minimally acceptable Pinot (Meomi) that costs $17/btl in a store. At $12/glass, you'd still have the standard 3x markup. Just very disappointed with the offering and calling it Premium. Not worth the money, even for the upgrade. At $165 for an upgrade from Classic to Premium (per couple), I expect to have enjoyable wines. I guess I'm asking too much.

"You'll live" doesn't match Premium Package.

I enjoy Carmenere, Malbec, Tempranillo, and other reds. The red wine selection on Celebrity (that is included with the Premium Package) has mostly wines that are about $12/bottle (and taste worse). At home I rarely spend more than $13/btl and wouldn't consider them "Premium". I, however, wish they would waive the corkage if you have a package. I mean... you're paying for the bottle not to drink their swill. That should say enough, but then they have the gall to charge $25 for corkage! I understand if you don't have a package... but please!

Or offer better wines. Two more sailings booked on Celebrity. Will likely cancel one or both (not just because of this, but it certainly doesn't help). Castle Rock Pinot for $9-10/glass? It's $10/btl at Total Wine. A 450% markup doesn't fly even in the finest of land based restaurants. At least offer a minimally acceptable Pinot (Meomi) that costs $17/btl in a store. At $12/glass, you'd still have the standard 3x markup. Just very disappointed with the offering and calling it Premium. Not worth the money, even for the upgrade. At $165 for an upgrade from Classic to Premium (per couple), I expect to have enjoyable wines. I guess I'm asking too much.

It's really not that difficult. If the wines available in the premium package don't meet your needs or paying a couple of bucks for something above $13 puts you in distress then don't upgrade to the premium package.

My complaint is that Celebrity keeps raising the price (per glass) of a given wine w/o raising the Premium limit ($13). MANY wines at Tuscan and Murano that were free with the Premium package in 2013 now cost a few $$$.

They did this a couple of years ago in the MDR and there was not a single white or red under the Classic Package. After a few weeks (and MANY complaints) they raised the Classic wine limit to $9 while keeping the limit for other beverages at $8.

My complaint is that Celebrity keeps raising the price (per glass) of a given wine w/o raising the Premium limit ($13). MANY wines at Tuscan and Murano that were free with the Premium package in 2013 now cost a few $$$.

They did this a couple of years ago in the MDR and there was not a single white or red under the Classic Package. After a few weeks (and MANY complaints) they raised the Classic wine limit to $9 while keeping the limit for other beverages at $8.

True and I was reading this afternoon that RCL has raised the price of a lot of drinks, not just wine above the premium package price. I hope Celebrity does not follow suit.

It's really not that difficult. If the wines available in the premium package don't meet your needs or paying a couple of bucks for something above $13 puts you in distress then don't upgrade to the premium package.

If it were only so simple. In the MDR and Blu there are really very few options above the $13...and most of those are not even close to what we would call "Premium." It is only in Murano where we have found a few (very few) decent wines by the glass over the $13 (most are in the $18-$20 range). We did ask the Sommelier about getting something better...but were refused since they do not want to open a better bottle of wine for sales by the glass...because they worry about being able to sell the remainder of the bottle before it starts to lose its luster.

And it is just not about the wine. Why can't I get some basic Glenmorangie on a Celebrity ship? Or how about Pierre Ferand Cognac? On our recent Eclipse cruise DW wanted to have a decent port in the Ensemble Lounge...and the best they could do was a 10 year old Taylor Tawny. That is not bad...but is still just a $22 per bottle of Port (land price). Really good ports were just not available (at any price).

There is no reasonable reason why Celebrity cannot upgrade its onboard inventory. With wines by the glass they do have to be a bit cautious, but can still open some better wines on a rotating basis without risking a loss. As to liquor, Ports, Cognacs, etc....these things have a very long shelf life after being opened. Sometimes cruise ships will play a silly game by having just basic stuff...and have perhaps one very high end item (like a $100 per glass cognac). But this just hides the fact they are lacking the inventory of fun things to drink...that are reasonably priced (perhaps at no more then $25 a glass).

Hank

I guess that's one way to deal with this issue, but c'mon, as recently as Spring of 2015 there were a number of available -okay, you did need to beg a little- decent Reds, (Rioja, Carmenere) right around the $13 price point. My last two cruises, very few, and hard to come by.

All us wine drinkers (Classic, Premium, or purchase by the glass) are asking for is choice!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

If it were only so simple. In the MDR and Blu there are really very few options above the $13...and most of those are not even close to what we would call "Premium." It is only in Murano where we have found a few (very few) decent wines by the glass over the $13 (most are in the $18-$20 range). We did ask the Sommelier about getting something better...but were refused since they do not want to open a better bottle of wine for sales by the glass...because they worry about being able to sell the remainder of the bottle before it starts to lose its luster.

And it is just not about the wine. Why can't I get some basic Glenmorangie on a Celebrity ship? Or how about Pierre Ferand Cognac? On our recent Eclipse cruise DW wanted to have a decent port in the Ensemble Lounge...and the best they could do was a 10 year old Taylor Tawny. That is not bad...but is still just a $22 per bottle of Port (land price). Really good ports were just not available (at any price).

There is no reasonable reason why Celebrity cannot upgrade its onboard inventory. With wines by the glass they do have to be a bit cautious, but can still open some better wines on a rotating basis without risking a loss. As to liquor, Ports, Cognacs, etc....these things have a very long shelf life after being opened. Sometimes cruise ships will play a silly game by having just basic stuff...and have perhaps one very high end item (like a $100 per glass cognac). But this just hides the fact they are lacking the inventory of fun things to drink...that are reasonably priced (perhaps at no more then $25 a glass).

Hank

I was drinking 20 year old Taylor in May in the dining room on Connie. No issues.

I guess that's one way to deal with this issue, but c'mon, as recently as Spring of 2015 there were a number of available -okay, you did need to beg a little- decent Reds, (Rioja, Carmenere) right around the $13 price point. My last two cruises, very few, and hard to come by.

All us wine drinkers (Classic, Premium, or purchase by the glass) are asking for is choice!

Nothing wrong with asking for a choice. We got some interesting pours on our last cruise. It's the incessant whining that is getting old these days (not directed at you, just a general observation).

Nothing wrong with asking for a choice. We got some interesting pours on our last cruise. It's the incessant whining that is getting old these days (not directed at you, just a general observation).

That's exactly why I began this thread with the positive comment about Celebrity! I really am very happy with the cruise line, including many of the changes that brave Lisa has put into effect.

A lot of the whining about the same subjects does get tiresome. I don't post much, and when I do it's usually seeking advice, not carping. But, I'd not seen this subject come up before, so I thought I'd put it out there. And I'm glad I did...I've gotten some good ideas and strategies, plus a few comments (like yours) have given me hope that I'll find some nice glasses of wine on my upcoming sailing.

True and I was reading this afternoon that RCL has raised the price of a lot of drinks, not just wine above the premium package price. I hope Celebrity does not follow suit.

A few weeks ago on the RCL Allure incl the auto tip a standard beer was $6.xx and a basic rum and coke was $9.xx

I was drinking 20 year old Taylor in May in the dining room on Connie. No issues.

But that is exactly the problem. While you had 20 year old on the Connie, they did not have it (at the 3 bars we asked) on the Eclipse. One of our favorite bar tenders told us that their inventory seems to have decreased as more and more folks had drink packages. When we were on the Eclipse exactly one year earlier (Nov-Dec 2015) they did have a better selection of high-end items at the bar.

What we do not know is whether this is a trend across the line...or perhaps was just that the Eclipse beverage manager was not doing a good job ordering inventory. But the other issue of wines by the glass is clearly a policy issue since the better wines are on the ship.....but just not used for "by the glass" orders.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

That's exactly why I began this thread with the positive comment about Celebrity! I really am very happy with the cruise line, including many of the changes that brave Lisa has put into effect.

A lot of the whining about the same subjects does get tiresome. I don't post much, and when I do it's usually seeking advice, not carping. But, I'd not seen this subject come up before, so I thought I'd put it out there. And I'm glad I did...I've gotten some good ideas and strategies, plus a few comments (like yours) have given me hope that I'll find some nice glasses of wine on my upcoming sailing.

If you remember to, please report back to this thread after your cruise and let us know how it went for you. Have a wonderful cruise! ;)