Wine By The Glass -Limited choices, even with Premium Package

tnfcruise

Most people who have cruised more than an handful of times will have encountered a cruiser of a particular type.

At first, they appear friendly and approachable, and nearly always, almost immediately ask how many cruises you have taken. I always answers honestly...about 10. Note, they usally dont tell you how many that they have taken, but whenever they ask which ports you have visited they respond by asking you if you used "so and so" as guide, as he is fantastic, or if you saw some sight that was "unmissabale"...., and of course what is "the best" restaurant for miles around that your had never heard of. You or couse had done none of these things.

If you say you thought the meal last night in the MDR was pretty good, they tell you that they have had much better on other lines. If you say the buffet is poor on board they tell you you should try xxx as it is much worse.

Dont even think about judging the entertainmenat...you clearly have no taste or experience.

After a day and a half or so you go out of your way to avoid them, and you suddenly realise that you are not alone...they are seeking out new "friends" every day.

I am not sure what made me think of this...but some poster seem to think they know more than others and are always right about all cruising issues.

Who knows?..maybe they are, but I for one dont want to meet them on my next cruise.

Good question...the probem lies with those that THINK they know more than others!

I hope i am wrong but this board is considerably less helpful/useful than it was when I first sailed Celebrity which was only 3 years ago.

I am now Elite....oh i loved saying that....not really.

I can find holes to pick holes with Celebrity without even having to try that hard, but at present they suit us just fine.

When they dont, I wont book anymore...I wont waste any time whining on boards like this which to all intents and purposes is like using a chocolate poker on the fire or p***ing into the wind.

Another issue for drink packages is the difficulty in getting a printed listing of what is available. In most cases we had to specify the type grape and then the Sommelier could tell us what she had....or in some cases, tell us there was nothing good in that category. Printing out a small listing of available wines by the glass...and putting that on each table would not take a major effort. It would also save time for Sommelier...who would no longer have to spend several minutes at each table answering the same question over and over again, "what is available."

Hank

I totally agree with you! Providing a daily selection of wines should be standard practice. It really bugs me when the waiter or sommelier asks what we want, says it's not available, then starts rattling off what is available. It's difficult for me to juggle all the detailed info without a visual, so I end up accepting whatever they recommend. I then have no idea what I ordered to either avoid or look for in the future.

Good question...the probem lies with those that THINK they know more than others!

I hope i am wrong but this board is considerably less helpful/useful than it was when I first sailed Celebrity which was only 3 years ago.

I can find holes to pick holes with Celebrity without even having to try that hard, but at present they suit us just fine.

When they dont, I wont book anymore...I wont waste any time whining on boards like this which to all intents and purposes is like using a chocolate poker on the fire or p***ing into the wind.

Methinks you and I would get along well on any sailing....

bon voyage

Methinks you and I would get along well on any sailing....

bon voyage

I may not agree with the positions that either of you take, but I'll bet if we were on a cruise ship, we would all find common ground at a bar and have a hoot!:):):)

AND yes, I would still be disappointed with the red wine selection, but my glass would not be empty!:)

BILL

Most people who have cruised more than an handful of times will have encountered a cruiser of a particular type.

At first, they appear friendly and approachable, and nearly always, almost immediately ask how many cruises you have taken. I always answers honestly...about 10. Note, they usally dont tell you how many that they have taken, but whenever they ask which ports you have visited they respond by asking you if you used "so and so" as guide, as he is fantastic, or if you saw some sight that was "unmissabale"...., and of course what is "the best" restaurant for miles around that your had never heard of. You or couse had done none of these things.

If you say you thought the meal last night in the MDR was pretty good, they tell you that they have had much better on other lines. If you say the buffet is poor on board they tell you you should try xxx as it is much worse.

Dont even think about judging the entertainmenat...you clearly have no taste or experience.

After a day and a half or so you go out of your way to avoid them, and you suddenly realise that you are not alone...they are seeking out new "friends" every day.

I am not sure what made me think of this...but some poster seem to think they know more than others and are always right about all cruising issues.

Who knows?..maybe they are, but I for one dont want to meet them on my next cruise.

Dude, I'm right with you on this!...But...

...this reply post is a totally different subject. I've found the boards, in general less helpful, mostly because of a few posters that interrupt the flow of threads (and I don't mean your two posts). There are also those who start threads with provocative titles, just to suck people in. I've learned to skip those with words such as "horrible" "terrible"

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Sorry, hit reply too soon...

I guess what I'm trying to say is that this thread, started by me, wasn't meant to come across as whining. And, I think for the most part, it hasn't been. There have been some good suggestions made, and a lively discussion amongst a number of us wine lovers. There are a number of current threads that I see as petty complaining or simply silly made-up scenarios to get clicks and replies.

But, a certain poster today just took the fun out of it for me. And that person, I think, is in the category you previously described.

I may not agree with the positions that either of you take, but I'll bet if we were on a cruise ship, we would all find common ground at a bar and have a hoot!:):):)

AND yes, I would still be disappointed with the red wine selection, but my glass would not be empty!:)

BILL

Bill - I would insure that you got some of the best... and none of our glasses would be empty! In fact, no more bottles to be found...

bom voyage

I've learnt a lot from this forum. I continue to learn but obviously not as much as my cruising experience increases. That said I know I'm still on a continual learning curve and always will be as things change.

We'll be Elite after our next trip in three weeks. I won't get excited about that though because I've seen too many people who are simply slaves to their chosen loyalty program and that's not something I want to become as it means I'll be missing out. So I'll stick with them until things become too familiar or their itineraries start to look too same old, same old. Then I'll need the forums help to find another suitable line.

I still see it as a valuable and sometimes amusing resource though.

Hello Mynki...is that a reference to Inspector Clouseau?

I am not suggesting at all that this board does not provide very helpful advise to new cruisers. What I would suggest, however, is that the vast majority of the most helpful posters around when I first started using it have moved on....i can only guess at the reasons.

You referred to some posts as "amusing". A few days ago I had the temerity to describe them as "entertaining". One poster responded that this was "perverted". I still dont understand that, but I never engage with these folks.

One thing that really upsets me is seeing people who have booked their first cruise on Celebrity dreading their upcoming holiday, because some posters have made things onboard sound so bad.

I have had the grand total of four Celebrity Cruises and have one more booked...beyond that who knows. I keep a very open mind.

Tnfcruise... i am not sure whether i owe you an apology or not.

Your OP was perfectly valid and my response was in no way directed at that. On my last cruise the only red wine on the premium package that suited my taste was a Chianti Classico. My wife enjoyed the Poully Fuisse that was $1 over the premium package but we were never charged. That may. or may not, have been because we mainly ate in Luminae.

We ate in Murano one night, for the third time. The sommilier there seemed put out by the fact that I didnt want to order any of their wine by the glass offerings, and I asked him to get me the Chianti from Luminae. He eventually agreed after I insisted. I have to say I find Muranos ten years out of date both in terms of food and service. We also ate in The Tuscan Grill, before the menu change.....i thought this was truely dreadful and would not survive on any hight street in the UK.

Talking of the UK.....the mark up on wines in"good" restaurants here is normally between 3 and 5 times retail price...in line with Celebrity's mark ups.

I leapt on to you your thread....it could have been many others...because of the relentless negativity of some people who responded...for that i do apologise.

Just wondering, how much of a tip?

What size of tip is sufficient to get the sommelier on your side, wink wink. I understand everyone is different, but any help would do

We give $20 the first night on a seven night cruise and $50 on the last night of a seven night cruise.

Granted the Sommelier doesn't know about the last night tip.

Total of $70 - $5 per person per night, to the Sommelier.

Added bonus if they are working pool bar during the day or there roommate is pool bar they will find you and take great care of you during pool time.

I used to bartend and worked in the service industry for years. My hubby will tell you I over tip :)

Edited by DZalumni

I have never tipped a penny (cent) over the daily recommended amount and have never had anything but prompt and friendly service at all bars and in all restaurants.

And I would bet you are either from the UK or Australia! :D

Hank

We give $20 the first night on a seven night cruise and $50 on the last night of a seven night cruise.

Added bonus if they are working pool bar during the day or there roommate is pool bar they will find you and take great care of you during pool time.

I used to bartend and worked in the service industry for years. My hubby will tell you I over tip :)

So $70 additional tipping to one individual on a 7 night cruise - how many bottles of French Shiraz could you buy for that ?? or make it simpler and do as many Germans do order beer instead of wine.

Annie

PS Yes I used to bartend too.

Edited by anniegb

So $70 additional tipping to one individual on a 7 night cruise - how many bottles of French Shiraz could you buy for that ?? or make it simpler and do as many Germans do order beer instead of wine.

Annie

PS Yes I used to bartend too.

$70/week amounts to $5/pp/day. It's common here in the US to tip bar staff $1-$2 per drink, so I don't think this is too much, especially if the result is great service that enhances your vacation.

I am not suggesting at all that this board does not provide very helpful advise to new cruisers. What I would suggest, however, is that the vast majority of the most helpful posters around when I first started using it have moved on....i can only guess at the reasons.

You referred to some posts as "amusing". A few days ago I had the temerity to describe them as "entertaining". One poster responded that this was "perverted". I still dont understand that, but I never engage with these folks.

One thing that really upsets me is seeing people who have booked their first cruise on Celebrity dreading their upcoming holiday, because some posters have made things onboard sound so bad.

I have had the grand total of four Celebrity Cruises and have one more booked...beyond that who knows. I keep a very open mind.

Tnfcruise... i am not sure whether i owe you an apology or not.

Your OP was perfectly valid and my response was in no way directed at that. On my last cruise the only red wine on the premium package that suited my taste was a Chianti Classico. My wife enjoyed the Poully Fuisse that was $1 over the premium package but we were never charged. That may. or may not, have been because we mainly ate in Luminae.

We ate in Murano one night, for the third time. The sommilier there seemed put out by the fact that I didnt want to order any of their wine by the glass offerings, and I asked him to get me the Chianti from Luminae. He eventually agreed after I insisted. I have to say I find Muranos ten years out of date both in terms of food and service. We also ate in The Tuscan Grill, before the menu change.....i thought this was truely dreadful and would not survive on any hight street in the UK.

Talking of the UK.....the mark up on wines in"good" restaurants here is normally between 3 and 5 times retail price...in line with Celebrity's mark ups.

I leapt on to you your thread....it could have been many others...because of the relentless negativity of some people who responded...for that i do apologise.

You absolutely do NOT owe me an apology! Your [emoji636] and personal perspective has really added to the conversation (wine by the glass and other bev/dining related comments).

And, I agree with you about the dearth of positive/helpful posters. Not as many around anymore. The ones who really bug the bejeezy out of me, though, are the supercilious, know-it-all, "you-should-do-this" types. For the record, "methinks" I'm not applying for the job of "Wine Buyer".

Edited by tnfcruise

I tip about that much on a fourteen nighter, but I guess that comes out to your calculation since my pelvic-affiliate mostly sticks to Scotch.

$70/week amounts to $5/pp/day. It's common here in the US to tip bar staff $1-$2 per drink, so I don't think this is too much, especially if the result is great service that enhances your vacation.

I don't think many would tip that much if 18% was included automatically in local bar / restaurant.

It looks like we're on the same page more or less. I do miss a couple of posters who were very happy to share their vast wealth of knowledge but don't appear to post any more.

As for negativity I think the fact that those who complain still continue to book cruises with X and speaks volumes. Lets be brutally honest, some people are natural born whingers. But others I suspect voice their concerns in the hope that senior management at X will read these boards and take note.

My personal opinion is that Celebrity offer a good product. I do however find them a little frustrating because they absolutely do not fulfill their potential at times. This doesn't mean that the product is bad. It just simply means that they could do a bit better for minimal cost and effort.

We have three more booked. I have no idea who we'll sail with after that. Itinerary and cost are our deciding factors. Oceania is starting to look more appealing as the Celebrity pricing for 2018 and 2019 seems a lot higher than our past cruises and I want first hand experience of the other line. As prices are not too dissimilar then Oceania may get our booking as my current perception is that they offer the experience Celebrity marketing pretends to offer. It will be interesting to see how my perception fares.

Newbies have nothing to worry about IMHO. Besides as I've always said, a vacation is all about who you are with and what you as an individual make of it. :)

And I would bet you are either from the UK or Australia! :D

Hank

They could be from any number of countries who believe that employees should be paid fair wages by their employer and not have to rely on tips. :)

Then again you could be referring to the charm, wit and charisma of brits and aussies who's personalities result in great service from bar staff?

Edited by Mynki

We just got off the Silhouette today from a quick four nighter. All in all, it was great, but the wines were disappointing. This was a girls' cruise and two of us upgraded to the premium package (we got classic with Go Big), and the other two didn't upgrade. The choices were, IMO, pretty limited. Our sommelier in the MDR simply told the Classic girls the one red they could have. For us on the premium package, there were a couple choices which were decent, but not great. It also struck all of us that during our first night's dinner he was really pretty on top of quickly refilling the premium glasses, while the two with the classic package went empty for quite a while and always had to ask for another glass. Later in the Sky club, even the premium selections were pretty nasty. In Murano last night the sommelier was good and brought out wines that were both within the respective package limits but also went with the food.