Wine By The Glass -Limited choices, even with Premium Package

tnfcruise

I agree with the OP. My Husband and I have only one significant complaint with Celebrity: the lack of decent wines by the glass that are included in the premium package. We enjoy many varietals, and are used to having options, both at home and in restaurants. Having such a limited wine list definitely impacts our dining experience. The lack of good Chardonnays, Pinot Noirs, and Red Zinfandels is unacceptable. Many excellent wineries produce delicious wines at reasonable prices. I can't see why Celebrity can't manage to provide these.

X want you to buy a bottle, and not use PP by the glass.

X want you to buy a bottle, and not use PP by the glass.

Totally agree with this ( and I think most mass-market cruise lines have a similar philosophy about wine).....

Killsport, agree that there are other wines in large quantities that Celebrity could purchase and sell by the glass that may be more acceptable to folks who like wine, the Meiomi Pinot Noir being one ( 555,000 cases out there )....Celebrity should probably cultivate relationships with wineries/ companies that produce relatively large amounts of wine that taste good for reasonable prices to offer us wine drinkers ( maybe they already do with Kendall-Jackson, but they need to do it with many others)....how to get Celebrity to do this is the problem...

Hlitner, I think Celebrity could offer more "basic" brands of scotch and be OK....but try to look at other lines for cognac and all you see is Courvoissier/ Hennessey/ Remy Martin in VS/VSOP/XO....as well as Louis XIII for the price of a Honda Civic....and little else....would be better if people allowed to bring on 1 bottle of their favorite tipple ( that is NOT sold on ship) to drink ( then I would bring Delamain Vesper :D)....

It's really not that difficult. If the wines available in the premium package don't meet your needs or paying a couple of bucks for something above $13 puts you in distress then don't upgrade to the premium package.

We don't mind paying more above and beyond what the premium package allows ... just wish we were given the choice in the dining rooms to do so.

I would probably not squawk at paying an additional $7 per glass but to even get some of the sommeliers to go to another restaurant (or to Cellar Masters for those ships that still have them) for a nice glass of wine to enjoy with my dinner. And ... as I mentioned, the Equinox doesn't even have Cellar Masters any more so really found it hard to be offered a decent wine list in any of the restaurants onboard, much less prior to dinner. Just the basics!

But, as others have mentioned, I do love Celebrity and I book depending on the itinerary and not whether or not the ship will sell me a decent glass of wine or not. Someone gave me an excellent idea and would appreciate some input on this plan.

So, if we have the premium package, we can purchase a decent glass of wine by the bottle ... right?? But, if we promised to buy all the glasses in the bottle throughout dinner, as there will be four of us drinking wine and our tastes are similar, would they open a nicer bottle and just allow us to pay the per glass upcharge if we all have the premium package. Maybe they have this figured out to the near dollar .. but if a discounted bottle is still about $65 dollars and the per glass charge is only $7 per glass, would they still open a bottle and charge us the $7 x 5 instead of the $65 if we promised to drink it all? Thoughts???

Totally agree with this ( and I think most mass-market cruise lines have a similar philosophy about wine).....

Killsport, agree that there are other wines in large quantities that Celebrity could purchase and sell by the glass that may be more acceptable to folks who like wine, the Meiomi Pinot Noir being one ( 555,000 cases out there )....Celebrity should probably cultivate relationships with wineries/ companies that produce relatively large amounts of wine that taste good for reasonable prices to offer us wine drinkers ( maybe they already do with Kendall-Jackson, but they need to do it with many others)....how to get Celebrity to do this is the problem...

Hlitner, I think Celebrity could offer more "basic" brands of scotch and be OK....but try to look at other lines for cognac and all you see is Courvoissier/ Hennessey/ Remy Martin in VS/VSOP/XO....as well as Louis XIII for the price of a Honda Civic....and little else....would be better if people allowed to bring on 1 bottle of their favorite tipple ( that is NOT sold on ship) to drink ( then I would bring Delamain Vesper :D)....

Surely you jest. You sound like a "Tres Venerable" guy :)

Hank

We don't mind paying more above and beyond what the premium package allows ... just wish we were given the choice in the dining rooms to do so.

I would probably not squawk at paying an additional $7 per glass but to even get some of the sommeliers to go to another restaurant (or to Cellar Masters for those ships that still have them) for a nice glass of wine to enjoy with my dinner. And ... as I mentioned, the Equinox doesn't even have Cellar Masters any more so really found it hard to be offered a decent wine list in any of the restaurants onboard, much less prior to dinner. Just the basics!

But, as others have mentioned, I do love Celebrity and I book depending on the itinerary and not whether or not the ship will sell me a decent glass of wine or not. Someone gave me an excellent idea and would appreciate some input on this plan.

So, if we have the premium package, we can purchase a decent glass of wine by the bottle ... right?? But, if we promised to buy all the glasses in the bottle throughout dinner, as there will be four of us drinking wine and our tastes are similar, would they open a nicer bottle and just allow us to pay the per glass upcharge if we all have the premium package. Maybe they have this figured out to the near dollar .. but if a discounted bottle is still about $65 dollars and the per glass charge is only $7 per glass, would they still open a bottle and charge us the $7 x 5 instead of the $65 if we promised to drink it all? Thoughts???

I don't think the staff are authorized to do that math -- and there is the bottle discount to handle your scenario. We did find that the sommelier in Luminae was willing to get us any wine that is offered by the glass anywhere on the ship -- the choice varies by venue, so the range was quite extensive.

We're currently on Reflection for our first Celebrity cruise. While I've not really found the wine by the glass to be "premium", with help from the sommelier in Blu, we've found good wines by the glass, with at least as many choices as I'd expect in most land-based restaurants.

All restaurants reserve their best wines by the bottle. Some very high end places sell a selection of very good wines by the glass to pair with the menu. The drink package just distorts this reality. Cruise ships are not Michelin rated restaurants, and I'm pretty sure the Wine Spectator award was for the overall quality of the selection, not the by the glass offerings.

Yes, there are wines aboard I'd love to have in the premium package, but I'd be amazed to see most of them by the glass at any price on land.

I love your thinking :). You do get a discount on bottles when you have the Premium Package...and they are likely to encourage you to buy the bottle. However, your idea has lots of merit and you should pursue the idea...at least to let us know what happens. We would suggest going to the Chief Wine Steward early on the cruise (just ask your Sommelier or Maitre'd if you can speak to the wine boss, and then pose your idea. Worst case is they say know (and then encourage you to buy the bottle). In theory they should be willing to open any bottle with a wine list value of up to about $75-$80 (without charging you anything) and even if you wanted a $100 bottle you should only have to pay no more then $4 (over the Premium Limit). But not sure they will see it that way :).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

In my experience, most restaurants charge 1/4 the bottle price for a glass of wine (and then get 5 glasses out of a bottle -- that's the extra fee for their trouble).

Yeah, we think you are right. And its fine if they are giving you a 5 ounce pour. The traditional 6 glass to a bottle standard is based on a 4 ounce pour. On X we get what the Sommelier pours....and we use all of our charm to encourage large pours. On Sommelier in Blu was giving DW and moi very large pours (probably 6-8 ounce) after a few days...and told me that she was fine with long pours if she thought the passengers would drink it all :). We had the Premium Package...and the long pours made her job easier since she did not have to visit our table every 90 seconds. DW and I know that we lost money on the Premium Package...but do have a lot of fun trying to beat the system.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I think Hank has a good idea to pitch Onboard to the Chief Wine Steward about offering bottles of wine under $100 by the glass at reasonable prices to Premium package purchasers. Of course, reasonable prices to Celebrity and to the customer seem to be in opposite hemispheres.....will see if this gets anywhere on my Reflection cruise in 3 weeks ( will probably be able to pull this off in Michael's Club....at least I hope....will also talk to people in Lumonae as well)....

And Hank.....when I graduate to retirement status, MAYBE I will have that "Tres Venerable"...until then I will have to make do.....

I love your thinking :). You do get a discount on bottles when you have the Premium Package...and they are likely to encourage you to buy the bottle. However, your idea has lots of merit and you should pursue the idea...at least to let us know what happens. We would suggest going to the Chief Wine Steward early on the cruise (just ask your Sommelier or Maitre'd if you can speak to the wine boss, and then pose your idea. Worst case is they say know (and then encourage you to buy the bottle). In theory they should be willing to open any bottle with a wine list value of up to about $75-$80 (without charging you anything) and even if you wanted a $100 bottle you should only have to pay no more then $4 (over the Premium Limit). But not sure they will see it that way :).

Hank

I will try it out in February and let everyone know how we did. I only thought about it because someone earlier in this post stated they were concerned about selling the glasses left in the bottle if they opened it for one or two glasses. While we all know they will save it for you for the next day if you buy a bottle, most wineries, at least here in California, will tell you to drink it within several hours after you open it as it starts to lose those special qualities before 24 hours is up. My sister will open a red and won't finish it so puts it in the fridge. Well, to each his own. Ours never makes it that long.

I will take your advice, though, and talk to the Chief Wine Steward at the beginning of the cruise.

The wine on the ship is Mer Soloil. I do like it very much. I also like St. Michelle wines.

MerSoleil is one of my favorite chardonneys. I was introduced to it on Eclipse in 2011, and since then buy it at home, by the bottle, for $27-$30 depending on store & sale. In 2011 it was $14 a glass, and in Spring2016, on Silhouette, Murano offered it at $24 a glass!!!:eek:

I agree with most posters; the by the glass selections are disgraceful, esp for the Premium package.

MerSoleil is one of my favorite chardonneys. I was introduced to it on Eclipse in 2011, and since then buy it at home, by the bottle, for $27-$30 depending on store & sale. In 2011 it was $14 a glass, and in Spring2016, on Silhouette, Murano offered it at $24 a glass!!!:eek:

I agree with most posters; the by the glass selections are disgraceful, esp for the Premium package.

Wow....I just checked and you can buy this for the price you stated. I can see charging like $18 for a glass of this wine but $24 is kind of an outrageous mark up, though.

In my experience, most restaurants charge 1/4 the bottle price for a glass of wine (and then get 5 glasses out of a bottle -- that's the extra fee for their trouble).

That's about right. Now, if only Celebrity would do this with some of their better wines...let's say there's an $80 bottle of wine...if Celebrity charged $20 a glass ($7 premium pkg upcharge X 5 pours = $35). Sounds a lot better to me than 20% discount to buy the bottle -- $64.

Cruise Raider, great idea...and I like Hank's thought, too. Please, please, please report back here and let us know how the strategy worked.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

That was the perfect emoji for your example...I'd add this one[emoji857] to go with[emoji33]

Other ramblings on this subject.....

Killsport, in an earlier post in this thread, summarized a list he compiled of a list of the wines-by-the glass offered by Celebrity in the MDR and computed the markup on these wines as compared to local availability or internet access prices....with few exceptions, all are at least 3x markup over the "true" cost per glass and some are close to 5x ( Beringer White Zin is over 8x)...does Celebrity really need to mark up their wines this much ( knowing they probably get discounts over the "true" retail price by buying in bulk)?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2394407&highlight=wine+lists, post #7

I checked the availability of most of these wines on this list by going to Wine Spectator ratings, which list the number of cases made ( or imported to U.S.).....all are over 1000 cases and half of them are over 10,000 cases....which means 1) there is plenty of wine out there of the brands Celebrity has chosen to purchase, so....2) Celebrity ships probably should not be running out of the wines they offer by the glass, especially on Caribbean cruises where they have ample time to resupply from Miami/Ft. Lauderdale....

Wondering what favorite wines CC members out there would suggest that Celebrity should stock for wine-by-the-glass choices ( Meiomi Pinot Noir being one mentioned).....keeping to a $30 maximum price for retail ( as I doubt Celebrity would offer many wines for purchase by the glass over this price)...

Killsport, in an earlier post in this thread, summarized a list he compiled of a list of the wines-by-the glass offered by Celebrity in the MDR and computed the markup on these wines as compared to local availability or internet access prices....with few exceptions, all are at least 3x markup over the "true" cost per glass and some are close to 5x ( Beringer White Zin is over 8x)...does Celebrity really need to mark up their wines this much ( knowing they probably get discounts over the "true" retail price by buying in bulk)?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2394407&highlight=wine+lists, post #7

I checked the availability of most of these wines on this list by going to Wine Spectator ratings, which list the number of cases made ( or imported to U.S.).....all are over 1000 cases and half of them are over 10,000 cases....which means 1) there is plenty of wine out there of the brands Celebrity has chosen to purchase, so....2) Celebrity ships probably should not be running out of the wines they offer by the glass, especially on Caribbean cruises where they have ample time to resupply from Miami/Ft. Lauderdale....

Wondering what favorite wines CC members out there would suggest that Celebrity should stock for wine-by-the-glass choices ( Meiomi Pinot Noir being one mentioned).....keeping to a $30 maximum price for retail ( as I doubt Celebrity would offer many wines for purchase by the glass over this price)...

From this list, I like the Freemark Abbey, La Crema and the Grgich Hills the best. I would love to see a Rombauer Merlot and Chardonnay and some Duckhorn and Silver Oak offered as well. And, we can get those, minus the Silver Oak and Duckhorn, here for slightly over $30 when on sale. I can't believe the mark up on the La Crema, which I can actually find for around $12 on sale ... albeit, a really good sale. Also, Wente has many different vineyards ... their Riva Ranch Chardonnay is superb and we can find that here for under $12 on sale. I wish this were just listed on the premium package as we actually found it onboard. Staggs Leap also makes a wonderful Merlot and we usually find that for around $17. We tried a Sparrow Hawk Cab on Christmas day ... also yummy and about $18 per bottle.

There are just so many that I can't believe we don't have a few better choices onboard.

BTW, I will definitely report back in March on what wines are available on the Equinox now that Cellar Masters has been replaced with the Gastro Bar. I like beer but don't need that much variety. I am sure others would disagree. Anyhow, I will see what is available in both the dining rooms and elsewhere on the ship and report back.

Just of note, when sailing on the Solstice a couple of years back (maybe 3), the sommelier would recommend and allow us to taste some excellent wines. We liked one of them that was just over the premium bev package limit but were more than happy to pay the upcharge. We had a great deal of trouble having them serve us this wine in the MDR as well as in Murano. In the MDR, the waiter finally brought us a glass but I swear, it wasn't what we actually ordered and he just brought the pre-poured glasses, didn't bring the bottle over to the table to pour. Disappointing to say the least!! But maybe even worse, we were in Murano and asked for that same wine and the waiter said we could only get the Celebrity Cellar Master. I finally asked him, should I go get it myself from Cellar Masters?? I was perfectly willing to do so. The waiter finally did bring a bottle into the dining room. There were 4 of us drinking it, so none went to waste if that was their worry. I really do miss Cellar Masters but now I am just repeating myself.

Excellent "ramblings"!

My last X cruise was a repositioning, after Solstice wintered in Aus/NZ/South Seas, from Honolulu to Vancouver. I'd not thought of the wine selection possibly being depleted. Having run out of reds by-the-glass that I liked, the MDR sommelier offered a 2011 Clarendelle Bordeaux that was very pleasant. She charged $3.50 over my premium ($15.50 a glass). My Vivino app prices it at an avg of $23.00 a bottle. So, not as ridiculous as La Crema gouging, but this would be a good one to standardly offer by the glass, not just by bottle.

Other Pinot Noirs that I enjoy, and would fall within that $30 retail, are Block Nine (Caiden's Vineyards) $12-14 a bottle, and Etude at that max price point. Santa Barbara Winery has a nice product, but I don't have a bottle of the particular Pinot Noir in my rack at the moment to be more specific, but I know the per bottle price is under $30.

Just a comment on Cruise Raider's post. Cellar Masters has not really been replaced by the Gastro Bar. The Gastropub or bar is simply a slight revamping of the Passport Bar located on the lowest level of the Atrium. We think Celebrity simply moved the beer coolers, that used to be located in Michaels, to the Passport Bar. Otherwise there is no real change at that bar other then offering some limited snacks (for a price). As to CellerMasters....it remains as an underused beautiful room...without the wine cruvinets.

Hank

Just a comment on Cruise Raider's post. Cellar Masters has not really been replaced by the Gastro Bar. The Gastropub or bar is simply a slight revamping of the Passport Bar located on the lowest level of the Atrium. We think Celebrity simply moved the beer coolers, that used to be located in Michaels, to the Passport Bar. Otherwise there is no real change at that bar other then offering some limited snacks (for a price). As to CellerMasters....it remains as an underused beautiful room...without the wine cruvinets.

Hank

Cruise Raider has it right. Cellar Master is no longer on Equinox, it has been replaced by the Gastro Bar ie it is gone.

Hank

It is not the same on all the S Class ships which only makes it more confusing for people. The machines are still operating in the Cellarmaster,on the Reflection and the expanded beer is in the Cellarmaster. The available beers are less than the beers on the Eclipse .

I seldom saw anyone using the wine machines.

I'd not thought to talk with F&B Manager, although by the time I'm on a ship (next one is 14-nighter in March on Eclipse) the wine menus are printed, the wines-by-the-glass have been chosen, and I'm not looking to be treated specially.

I'm really hoping that there's such a groundswell of enthusiastic support on this thread, that Celebrity will take notice and fill those two-story wine towers and the "cellar" of Cellar Masters with really good by-the-glass options.

We sail on a two week cruise very soon and our comments do concern me as I too enjoy a good glass of wine.

As for Celebrity taking note, it is true that they read these boards however they seem very reactive rather than proactive and of course we all know they're only really interested in their bottom line.

If they can get away with passing off very average wines as 'premium' they will do.

If you want them to take note perhaps you should visit their Facebook page and post a link to this very thread. I can guarantee from personal experience that they will then take note.

We're in a SS next time so I'm really hoping Luminae and MC does not disappoint with wine selections on the PDP.

We sail on a two week cruise very soon and our comments do concern me as I too enjoy a good glass of wine.

As for Celebrity taking note, it is true that they read these boards however they seem very reactive rather than proactive and of course we all know they're only really interested in their bottom line.

If they can get away with passing off very average wines as 'premium' they will do.

If you want them to take note perhaps you should visit their Facebook page and post a link to this very thread. I can guarantee from personal experience that they will then take note.

We're in a SS next time so I'm really hoping Luminae and MC does not disappoint with wine selections on the PDP.

We were in MC and Luminae in July on Summit and will be on Reflection later this month. We really enjoyed the wine by the glass they had in MC as well as Luminae and never had an issue finding something we liked. The specialty cocktails in Luminae are also fantastic.

Sent from my iPad using Forums