Pinnacle question.

azsnowbird

Is the reservation price of $35 for dinner, per person or per couple?

Is it better to reserve prior to sailing?

Is the food and ambience worth the extra expense?

Thanks for your input.

We will be sailing on Oosterdam.

Debbie

Answering your questions in the order asked:

1. $35 is the per person price (before any applicable Mariner Society discounts are applied) for dinner at PG;
  2. Yes, especially if you want seating at a particular time on a particular date; and
  3. IMO absolutely worth the price, although I'd also encourage you to check out Canaletto ... if you like Italian cuisine.

We have sailed on Oosterdam several times and hope you enjoy her as much as we have.

Smooth sailing ...

I have always been happy with the food in the dining room, but also enjoy the Pinnacle Grill once on my cruise. I am sailing in March and will be eating at the Pinnacle and will also check out the Canaletto...I feel the Pinnacle is worth the extra $$.

I would definitely pay online and make your reservation in advance.

I have made two reservations for the PG on my next cruise in a couple of weeks.

I have not eaten there before because of the cost. You have to remember the price of the PG is just for the difference between a dinner in the MDR and the PG. Since you are giving up a dinner in the MDR that I figure is worth at least $35 plus paying another $35 for for the PG. That means that you are actually paying about $70 per person to eat at the PG.

That is much more than I would ever pay for a dinner in a restaurant. But for my next cruise, I decided to just bite the bullet and try the PG to see if it's worth it. I ended up reserving it twice, once for my DW's birthday and I got another one free with some credit card rewards points.

I will post a review when I get back and say if the PG is really worth it.

If one makes reservations online, si the difference in Mariner discounts applied to the account in the form of OBC?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes -- I check our shipboard account about 3 days to make certain that we have been given the Mariner discount when I have pre-booked any specialty restaurant.

Try a Pinnacle lunch, if you just want to dip your toes into this. We actually like their lunches better than dinner. And often find the MDR is just fine too. However, the Pinnacle is a lovely, quiet experience when you want something different. A change of pace, if nothing else.

Not sure you need to worry about getting a reservation once on board. We often saw many empty tables later in the evening, if this time is okay for you.

As an alternative you can also have Pinnacle dinners delivered to your room for a lesser charge.

- $15 for a 10 or 12 oz steak

- $20 for a 12 oz maine lobster.

Sides are limited: mashed potatoes, mushrooms, and creamed spinach.

We intend to do this time or two in addition to dining at the pinnacle.

As an alternative you can also have Pinnacle dinners delivered to your room for a lesser charge.

Good idea, except that I would miss my favorites - lobster bisque, crab cakes and baked Alaska. Plus, as a 4 Star my cost is only $17.50 (no discount on the room service price I bet).

Edited by DaveOKC

Try a Pinnacle lunch, if you just want to dip your toes into this. We actually like their lunches better than dinner. And often find the MDR is just fine too. However, the Pinnacle is a lovely, quiet experience when you want something different. A change of pace, if nothing else.

Not sure you need to worry about getting a reservation once on board. We often saw many empty tables later in the evening, if this time is okay for you.

Are reservations required for lunch?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Are reservations required for lunch?

Yes, reservations are required, and remember the Pinnacle is not open every day for lunch. Reservations can only be made on board, and frequently can be made on the day requested, and even on the spot!

But I would not cut it that close if you have a good idea when you want to eat there. Book the reservations as soon after boarding as possible.

Good idea, except that I would miss my favorites - lobster bisque, crab cakes and baked Alaska. Plus, as a 4 Star my cost is only $17.50 (no discount on the room service price I bet).

I agree with Dave -- way too limited menu as I like the petite Filet and lamb chops. DH would miss his crab cakes, we would both miss the shrimp cocktails.

;

There were times when the Pinnacle has been sold out.

Even though you may have seen empty tables, the PG still may have been sold out as they only allow so many reservations for each time slot. This is a practice that has gone on for years.

Are the crab cakes that good? I'm making my own version for dinner tomorrow night. Wonderful with a cajun remoulade.

My problem is I've never had room when it comes time for dessert.

Are the crab cakes that good? I'm making my own version for dinner tomorrow night. Wonderful with a cajun remoulade.

My problem is I've never had room when it comes time for dessert.

They are quite good IMO. We do not get them often in Oklahoma of course.

As to the Baked Alaska desert, the last time we dined at the Pinnacle we had them just serve us the ice cream and cherries jubilee that comes as part of the Baked Alaska! It was very good and not so filling.

We have booked an Alaskan cruise for May 2018. At what point will we be able to prebook the Pinnacle Grill and Canaletto? Just didn't know how many days out the window opens.

At some point in fall '17 the books for 2018 will open. Try looking in October or early November. If history repeats itself, it will happen sometime around then.

They are quite good IMO. We do not get them often in Oklahoma of course.

As to the Baked Alaska desert, the last time we dined at the Pinnacle we had them just serve us the ice cream and cherries jubilee that comes as part of the Baked Alaska! It was very good and not so filling.

Have to give the crab cakes a try. Perhaps we can split a Baked Alaska.

When you're young enough to eat all you want, you can't afford to. When you can afford to eat all you want, you can't.

you can order more than one appetizer , or more than one dessert if you want , but only one entre is included for the $70 per couple charge . Is it worth it ? The filet mignon is excellent . I just chalk up the extra cost as part of the cruise up front when I order it online in advance to get the days desired . Should it be $70 more for a couple ? I wonder . Kind of like a land based restaurant price .