Escape to Bermuda

Nator72

Hi. New to cruising. Our family's first cruise was on the Escape in June 2016. We loved it and were hoping to do the same cruise in 2018, but it looks like the Escape will be doing NY to Bermuda at that time. I looked into it and and I have a question. Why only Bermuda? Why a 3-day stay in the port? Aren't there any other ports nearby they can visit? Seems a bit strange to me, but I'm not familiar with cruising.

Hi. New to cruising. Our family's first cruise was on the Escape in June 2016. We loved it and were hoping to do the same cruise in 2018, but it looks like the Escape will be doing NY to Bermuda at that time. I looked into it and and I have a question. Why only Bermuda? Why a 3-day stay in the port? Aren't there any other ports nearby they can visit? Seems a bit strange to me, but I'm not familiar with cruising.
All cruise lines do this pretty much as well.

For some, that 3 day in port itinerary is a huge draw. Bermuda is a really, REALLY expensive place to visit. It would cost approximately double the cruise fare just to fly and stay in a hotel for 3 days. So getting a few sea days on a cool ship and having 3 days to explore port from a floating hotel with included food and drinks is pretty awesome.

We haven't been on a Bermuda cruise yet, but it's definitely next on the list!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Forums mobile app

From all of us who have been to Bermuda, trust us, 3 days is not enough time. You will come back and want to plan another trip.

Totally AGREE with this :D

The 3 days in Bermuda are wonderful! There is a great transportation system (buses and ferries) that easily get you to several wonderful beaches and towns. I would love to spend a week on the island, but it would be much more expensive that way.

And Escape is a wonderful ship, so to take an awesome ship to this beautiful island is win/win. Enjoy!

Wait...what? Escape is going to be doing Bermuda? When? I must have missed this. I may need to head back to Bermuda! I LOVE this place!

From all of us who have been to Bermuda, trust us, 3 days is not enough time. You will come back and want to plan another trip.

Exactly! My feelings too. Bermuda is amazing and we definitely need more days there. :)

Wait...what? Escape is going to be doing Bermuda? When? I must have missed this. I may need to head back to Bermuda! I LOVE this place!

In 2018, Breakaway is breaking away from NYC to re position to Europe for dry dock repairs. The Escape is going to take over the Breakaway itinerary to Bermuda/Bahamas.

come join me..im booked on the escape to bermuda in middle of may :cool: :cool:

I would love to but that may be a little too early for me to book. My daughter doesn't get out of school until June 1st. So I could ponder the thought of maybe taking her out at the end of May (they have May 28th off for Memorial Day) but a couple of weeks before getting out of school for the summer might be a bit too much. :(

come join me..im booked on the escape to bermuda in middle of may :cool: :cool:

I booked this cruise too! May 13th ???

Can't wait and I hope someone starts the roll call soon or is one already started that I haven't found?

I'm taking my son for his 21st birthday :-)

After Breakaway gets back Escape will take over for the Gem

Taking over for the Gem from where to where? I'm not familiar with where the Gem is. Maybe somewhere up north cruising to the Bahamas? (Never interested in those cruises).

Taking over for the Gem from where to where? I'm not familiar with where the Gem is. Maybe somewhere up north cruising to the Bahamas? (Never interested in those cruises).

The Gem and the Breakaway are in NYC. Both do Bahamas & Caribbean. Gem does some fall foliage cruises going north to Canada & back. The Breakaway does Bermuda during the summer.

The Breakaway will be going to drydock and then Europe for awhile and the Escape will be picking up those itineraries out of NYC. Not sure about the Escape being permanently in NYC.

Edited by my3sonsnj

The Gem and the Breakaway are in NYC. Both do Bahamas & Caribbean. Gem does some fall foliage cruises going north to Canada & back. The Breakaway does Bermuda during the summer.

The Breakaway will be going to drydock and then Europe for awhile and the Escape will be picking up those itineraries out of NYC. Not sure about the Escape being permanently in NYC.

Ok, thanks. Just wondering. I think that's why I haven't been on the Gem yet...not interested in fall foliage cruises or just going to the Bahamas. So, I'll wait until the GEM heads to NOLA to cruise her. Already been on the Breakaway to Bermuda. I wouldn't mind the Escape to Bermuda. I'll have to check into that. (I try not to sail the same ship more than once and always looking for something different).

The Gem will be leaving NYC and heading to New Orleans in 2018. I tried looking for a NCL cruise out of NYC for this summer and for all of next year. In the list was the Breakaway, Gem, Escape and Jade. I went to NCL's Media Center and found the 2018/2019 ship deployments.

This was published last month.

https://www.ncl.com/press-releases/norwegian-cruise-line-announces-2018-and-2019-deployment

I just saw the Escape news this past weekend. We loved the Escape when we were on her last winter (probably our favorite ship) and also had a blast when we were on the Breakaway to Bermuda last spring (our favorite stop the leaves from the US) so I'm really excited to combine the two. (I'm especially excited now that we have a new addition to the family, and the Escape is the only NCL ship with 6 month daycare!) I just wished the Bermuda cruises started a bit earlier in the year - winter is when I really need my cruise fix!

I just wished the Bermuda cruises started a bit earlier in the year - winter is when I really need my cruise fix!

We love Bermuda, and since no cruises go in the winter, we are forced to go in the summer. My DW has a hard time with cabin pressure to fly. It would be something to see a year round cruise going there. Maybe a New Years cruise to see them drop the Onion at midnight, lol. To the OP 3 days are not long enough, but the ships have gotten bigger and can only have 2 at a time in the Dock Yard. Smaller ships are needed to dock at Hamilton and St. George so they can do longer calls.

We love Bermuda, and since no cruises go in the winter, we are forced to go in the summer. My DW has a hard time with cabin pressure to fly. It would be something to see a year round cruise going there. Maybe a New Years cruise to see them drop the Onion at midnight, lol. To the OP 3 days are not long enough, but the ships have gotten bigger and can only have 2 at a time in the Dock Yard. Smaller ships are needed to dock at Hamilton and St. George so they can do longer calls.

Bermuda isn't really feasible as winter destination from the Northeast because it's not warm - 60-70 degrees and cold Atlantic water. Beaches are out of the question, and while I love Bermuda, there's I don't really think there is enough to do in Bermuda when you take beaches out of the equation - at least from a mass market perspective.

Edited by richg35

Bermuda isn't really feasible as winter destination from the Northeast because it's not warm - 60-70 degrees and cold Atlantic water. Beaches are out of the question, and while I love Bermuda, there's I don't really think there is enough to do in Bermuda when you take beaches out of the equation - at least from a mass market perspective. I will agree with this but not with the first part of this sentence.

I would take 60 degrees and rain over 30 degrees and sun in the winter any day. Also, we spent 5 days in Bermuda, 3 in Hamilton and 2 in St George, went to the beach 1 day. We were there this past July for 3 days and did not go to a single beach. There are things other than the beach in Bermuda but you are right the DW and I are the few that don't always do the beach thing. And the part about going in the winter was to watch the Onion drop instead of the Times Square Ball drop. I will tell you this the Atlantic in the winter is very unpredictable and your ride could be the roughest you'll ever feel.

its GREAT docked there for 3 days. this was my 1st cruise last year. loved it. DO IT. go to bermuda. you will never regret it.

did NOT like the multiple ports on the bahamas trip in december. but the price was a steal. my part of the trip was 577 for a balcony.

DO bermuda vs bahamas 100% of the time.

cant wait to make my 3rd cruise bermuda again!