Email to PVP returned

rgmacm

I just emailed my contact person at Princess and the email was returned.

I'm assuming she has left her job.... not a totally unheard of phenomenon...

So...now....Does Princess just assign me to someone else? or am I destined to be "un-vacation-planner-ed" from now on? :D:D

How does this all work? I had developed a good working relationship with her and am sad to see this happen.... Oh well.....

Call up Princess, ask for agent Supervisor. Tell them what you liked about previous agent and ask for suggestions for one or two with similar values. Otherwise you may end up with a newbie.

Maybe one value was that they did their job. Thats a good value.

We found the turnover rate is high.

I called. They automatically reassign you to another PVP and I HAD been assigned. I requested to not have a 'newbie" so I was transferred to the "desk" where I was paired with someone else. (different name than originally given) After a few minutes of talking with her, I think this will be a good match for me/us. She said she's been there 3 yrs (if she was telling me the truth haha) so hoping she won't leave before our next cruise... :o

I DID suggest that Princess needs to send emails to notify ppl when their current PVP leaves just as a courtesy if nothing else. To some, it probably doesn't matter...but to others.....

At any rate, it is what it is...

Edited by rgmacm

I called. They automatically reassign you to another PVP and I HAD been assigned. I requested to not have a 'newbie" so I was transferred to the "desk" where I was paired with someone else. (different name than originally given) After a few minutes of talking with her, I think this will be a good match for me/us. She said she's been there 3 yrs (if she was telling me the truth haha) so hoping she won't leave before our next cruise... :o

I DID suggest that Princess needs to send emails to notify ppl when their current PVP leaves just as a courtesy if nothing else. To some, it probably doesn't matter...but to others.....

At any rate, it is what it is...

I've never used the PVP. What do they do that you can't/don't/won't do yourself?

I've never used the PVP. What do they do that you can't/don't/won't do yourself?

I don't usually use mine for booking a cruise, but recently she's refared two for me, canceled one, and moved the deposit over to a new booking. I couldn't have done the refaring. Could have done the cancel and then rebook, but it was simpler to have her do it.

If you are going to book direct rather than use a TA, I would always suggest a PVP simply to have their private e-mail and voice mail--which have always been returned within a couple hours. Among the things they can do is if you have an issue with Princess Air they will get either a supervisor from that department, or one of their inside contacts at the airline in question, on the line with you faster than you can say boo.

I guess I am lucky to have had the same PVP for more than five years after the one I used before her left Princess--and she is also my Cunard PVP as they work out of the same office in Santa Clarita. When I have a current booking and she is going to be off or assigned elsewhere for more than a day or so she sends out the extension number of the person covering for her.

So here is my question? Why does anyone book directly with a cruise line? The reality is that you will always save money by shopping for a cruise deal among several reputable cruise agencies. Its easy to do (on lone or via toll free calls) and your savings will generally be in the 7-10% range when compared to booking directly with a line. The savings can come from a combination of things including promotional rates, on board credits, pre paid gratuities, etc. We have taken some Princess cruises where we had over $1000 in OBCs...and actually received a refund check from Princess...after we returned home. On one longer HAL cruise we actually saved more then $3000 (yes, that is thousand) when compared to booking direct with HAL. Like buying most expensive items...it really can pay to shop around.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I don't usually use mine for booking a cruise, but recently she's refared two for me, canceled one, and moved the deposit over to a new booking. I couldn't have done the refaring. Could have done the cancel and then rebook, but it was simpler to have her do it.

If you are going to book direct rather than use a TA, I would always suggest a PVP simply to have their private e-mail and voice mail--which have always been returned within a couple hours. Among the things they can do is if you have an issue with Princess Air they will get either a supervisor from that department, or one of their inside contacts at the airline in question, on the line with you faster than you can say boo.

I guess I am lucky to have had the same PVP for more than five years after the one I used before her left Princess--and she is also my Cunard PVP as they work out of the same office in Santa Clarita. When I have a current booking and she is going to be off or assigned elsewhere for more than a day or so she sends out the extension number of the person covering for her.

Thanks, guys!!

So here is my question? Why does anyone book directly with a cruise line? The reality is that you will always save money by shopping for a cruise deal among several reputable cruise agencies. Its easy to do (on lone or via toll free calls) and your savings will generally be in the 7-10% range when compared to booking directly with a line. The savings can come from a combination of things including promotional rates, on board credits, pre paid gratuities, etc. We have taken some Princess cruises where we had over $1000 in OBCs...and actually received a refund check from Princess...after we returned home. On one longer HAL cruise we actually saved more then $3000 (yes, that is thousand) when compared to booking direct with HAL. Like buying most expensive items...it really can pay to shop around.

Hank

I booked directly through Celebrity and RCCL a few times and and it really worked out to my benefit. I almost always use a TA but had to book directly with these cruise lines as my future cruise credits were too old to transfer. However, on both lines, we were able to contact them directly at any hour of the day or night and once, they even matched the perks I could get through a TA. I ended up getting the two of the 'special rooms', which most likely wouldn't have happened had I had to wait for my TA to open.

But, since I am a sucker for the deal, I learned how to use the future cruise credits on these lines (they are different than with Princess) and I usually use a travel agency at all times with one exception. Since I am a member of M-life, I find I can do better with that discount directly through Celebrity. I also recently booked a cruise directly through NCL using my total rewards platinum discount. I was also very pleased not only with the discount they gave me but also with the high level of customer service they provided.

So...now....Does Princess just assign me to someone else? or am I destined to be "un-vacation-planner-ed" from now on? :D:D

How does this all work? I had developed a good working relationship with her and am sad to see this happen.... Oh well.....

That happened to me and I was supposedly assigned to someone else, but said person never returned my calls. I have since moved on to a TA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That happened to me and I was supposedly assigned to someone else, but said person never returned my calls. I have since moved on to a TA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I"m assuming you're happy with your TA so that's great...but just know that you CAN call Princess and ask to be re-assigned like I did. It's always a possibility that the person you were assigned to was one of those who show up for 3 days at a new job, then disappear...with no word to anyone. It happens... ugh!!!

I didn't actually ASK to have a PVP. I just called Princess to book my cruise but wanted some information before choosing a cabin (what's in the white areas, etc...) and voila...the person who took my call was automatically my PVP. I didn't know it was possible to NOT have one.

As far as TA's....I've read here that many get better fares by booking through them. So...in an effort to garner the best deal, I made some calls - get quotes, ask questions, etc.... They all quoted the exact same rate as I'd gotten booking directly with Princess....with no more perks.

Then I went to our AAA agent (who we always purchase our travel insurance with...and who I THINK is really irritated with us that we never book our cruises with her) and she couldn't offer me anything that I hadn't already gotten from Princess either. I would LOVE to utilize her for cruises, but she can't get anything I can't get on my own and it adds the extra hoops of going through a 3rd party.

Based on all that, I just chose to stay with my direct calls to Princess. I get results quickly....no 3rd party to go through... and I have a contact there if I ever NEED one.

I didn't actually ASK to have a PVP. I just called Princess to book my cruise but wanted some information before choosing a cabin (what's in the white areas, etc...) and voila...the person who took my call was automatically my PVP. I didn't know it was possible to NOT have one.

As far as TA's....I've read here that many get better fares by booking through them. So...in an effort to garner the best deal, I made some calls - get quotes, ask questions, etc.... They all quoted the exact same rate as I'd gotten booking directly with Princess....with no more perks.

Then I went to our AAA agent (who we always purchase our travel insurance with...and who I THINK is really irritated with us that we never book our cruises with her) and she couldn't offer me anything that I hadn't already gotten from Princess either. I would LOVE to utilize her for cruises, but she can't get anything I can't get on my own and it adds the extra hoops of going through a 3rd party.

Based on all that, I just chose to stay with my direct calls to Princess. I get results quickly....no 3rd party to go through... and I have a contact there if I ever NEED one.

Then you are not talking to a good TA.

We always get around 10% off of the Princess price.

We don't always get OBC but do get the discount.

Not sure what the 3rd party thing/delay/hoops are.

When we book we book and there is no delay/hoops.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Reading these boards for a while I have seen people very pleased and very upset at TA's, booking direct, using a Personal Princess person, calling in and hoping, .....

Many people say that they got n% off form their TA, or from their credit card company or whatever.

Like everything there are highly competent people and some that are not so much. And there are demanding customers and very easy going customers. There are people who stress over every dime (no matter how much they have) and there are people who don't seem to care about a few bucks.

One thing I did notice in common though are that some people are reluctant to ask. It shows up on the boards as someone saying, "I didn't know you coudl do that."

Always ask. Can you give me a better price? Can you give me a free or heavily discounted upgrade? Can you give me OBC? Can you send me a nice travel bag or buy me some flowers or wine? And not just for bookings.

Can I have two entrees? Can I have extra tomatoes? Can I get a bowl of blueberries? Can I come back later for desert?

I have found that if you ask nicely you often get what you asked for. If you don't know what to ask for, you can even ask "Is there anything else I should ask you for?" or "What kind of special things can I ask for?"

Personally I am pretty laid back and do not want to ruin a cruise by feeling I got taken for $50 when I have spent so much already. So I rather not know. But my wife asks for everything and it is amazing at how much she has gotten for us. She is not rude or mean and always very thankful. But she asks a lot of questions. Maybe they give her stuff to get rid of her, but in any case, please ask for anything you want. At worst you will hear a no. At best, you will get what you want. Mostly you will get a nice response with no need to be embarrassed.

It seems to me that most of the folks who get a good discount either consistently book mini-suites or higher or have booked a large number of cruises with their TA over the years. Try getting a discounted rate on an IF category cabin and it likely won't happen.

Then you are not talking to a good TA.

We always get around 10% off of the Princess price.

We don't always get OBC but do get the discount.

Not sure what the 3rd party thing/delay/hoops are.

When we book we book and there is no delay/hoops.

Yes- seconding the above answer. You should be getting some sort of value around 10% from a good TA. Can't speak as to AAA and their lack of additional $ benefits, but if you happen to belong to the club store that sells those great $1.50 hot dogs, then they will also give you great credits, etc, approaching or exceeding those of a normal good TA. If you have the premium membership your benefits ratchet up, by the way, and timing/promotions can be a positive factor... but even their "regular" $ perks are good. My last booking was through a 40+ year old family-owned TA we've been working with for 20+ years, and we received a straight 10% discount (but not on the 3rd persons in our cabins, because they were already on sale for $149 for a 10 day cruise!)

Edited by yuccaman

It seems to me that most of the folks who get a good discount either consistently book mini-suites or higher or have booked a large number of cruises with their TA over the years. Try getting a discounted rate on an IF category cabin and it likely won't happen.

My past discounts have hovered around 10% for even normal balcony and oceanviews, although there is truth to what you are saying because $ perks essentially come out of TA commissions or loyalty credits, and they are higher for the better bookings- but have luckily never failed to score 10%-ish even on oceanview and balconies. No experience below that level, though, but I guess the moral of the story is to always ask!

Edited by yuccaman

Just give them a call.

Yes- seconding the above answer. You should be getting some sort of value around 10% from a good TA. Can't speak as to AAA and their lack of additional $ benefits,

My AAA charges a booking fee along with every fee for every change made.

My TA always gives a discount when booking Princess. It may not always be 10% (and usually isn't), but it is there no matter what type cabin is being booked. It was 5.5% for an obstructed balcony cabin last spring. It was 6.6% if you include the added OBC (which no doubt came from group amenity points the TA can pass on to the clients).