Private shore excursions

dorsetlad

Dubrovnik is easy. Shuttle to town. WLk the walls first as it gets very hot then explore the town. There is a cable car to hilltop you can use. Malta and Piraeus get Hoho bus. Mykonos walkable as is Hvar and Split. Katakolon not much there. You might want a tour to Olympia. Never heard of Sarande.

You all moan about the PO prices of their excursion, I used to moan about the cost of the prices but I think differently now. Looking back at the accident in Dominica, my sister and niece was involved in this accident, and they was both seriously injured in this accident. P&O was excellent and can not fault in everything they did. Now I get why we pay that extra cost, it assurance of P&O service and help with our needs, if anything unfortunately does happens. My sister didn't get moved to the UK until 16th December, and during that time she had PO careers with her, at all times and they supported her on anything she required. If this wasn't one of there excursion they both would of not got the support they got. Now I look at this in a different way, at least the extra cost, is reassurance if anything did happen you know you will get the support from P&O and that is covered in the extra cost. So please think twice about the cost and what does that extra cost covers. My sister was also on the trip that was two hours late, and cost was occurring whilst the ship had to stay in port, until they got back. It just put everything into perspective about the cost.

Tapper lady

Sorry to hear about your sister and niece and hope they have made a full recovery.

Good to hear that P and O stepped up to the plate. However I would be very disappointed if they did not offer the same service to somebody just because they weren't on a cruise ship excursion.

At the end of the day it is their duty to look after all passengers equally.

Tapper lady

I am very sorry to hear about your family and hope they are all recovering

Cost is a factor in deciding whether to go on a private tour but to me the main advantage is the size of the tour. I hate being on a bus with 50 others - waiting forever for everyone to get on and off and there are always some who come back late so the rest of us are hanging around

With a small group you have much more flexibility in where you go, how long you stay there etc and it is a much smaller group. if you use reputable tour guides the insurance element is less of a worry

Dear Tapper Lady

I am sorry to hear about your relatives; my friend and I were on that cruise and felt very sad for the passengers who were involved when we watched suitcases being taken off for those who were left in hospital.I am glad to hear that P and O looked after them well and that they are now recovering. Like you I felt at the time that going on the ship's excursions is probably an advantage if something goes wrong.

It did put us off Dominica and actually we neither of us liked the Caribbean much at all; glad we've been but I wouldn't go again. We went on a private bus in Dominica and frankly it was terrifying!

Tapper lady

Sorry to hear about your sister and niece and hope they have made a full recovery.

Good to hear that P and O stepped up to the plate. However I would be very disappointed if they did not offer the same service to somebody just because they weren't on a cruise ship excursion.

At the end of the day it is their duty to look after all passengers equally.

First...Tapper Lady, I am very sorry to learn that your relatives were injured in the Dominica incident, I hope they are recovering well. I too had friends on this cruise. But also very pleased to hear of the support given by P&O. As it should be.

But London Towner, I fear that you are expecting too much. If a passenger is injured on a private excursion, then P &O ...or any other cruise line...have no duty of care at all, as they cannot be held in any way responsible for the consequences of an individual's choice to go on a private tour. Whilst I would hope that they may offer a degree of assistance, I would not expect much.

In the same way, when a passenger is taken ill on a cruise and "offloaded" to a local hospital, their duty of care is effectively discharged. Now before anyone has a go at me, I am not saying I agree that this is what should happen....but it does. Although I would stress not with P &O, the latter situation happened to a friend of mine , and whose spouse subsequently passed away in the local hospital. The cruise line involved, whilst they did enquire a few days later as to the wellbeing of their offloaded passenger, did not provide ongoing support, for the reason stated. Their duty was to ensure that the oassenger was put in a position to receive the best possible medical care available...no more. That is where the insurance company kicks in.

Edited by Mysticalmother

Mystical other

I would like to think that a company like P and O would give some care to an injured passenger, although this is more difficult on a cruise than a land holiday.

In cases of extended hospital stays and/or serious injury then the insurance company's representative would take over.

Mystical other

I would like to think that a company like P and O would give some care to an injured passenger, although this is more difficult on a cruise than a land holiday.

In cases of extended hospital stays and/or serious injury then the insurance company's representative would take over.

I fear you are expecting too much of anyour cruise line or holiday company.

Somebody's insurance should take over as soon as you are off the ship. Which is why it pays to have decent insurance. I have read on other boards about people not having decent insurance and the nightmare that involves.

The cruise line cannot leave crew behind to look after someone.

Doesn't come down to how good or bad the cruise line is..it comes down to common sense.

I not even sure one of the 6* lines would be any different.

If you do a private tour it is your choice and your responsibility. .nobody else's.

We're on Oceana's fly cruise in May, calling at Malta, Piraeus, Mykonos, Katakalon, Sarande, Dubrovnik, Hvar, Venice and Split.

Brian

Your starter for ten...

9667909287_735c9f29db_z.jpg?zoom=2

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/09/05/one-way-to-do-dubrovnik/

Edited by Solent Richard

Advice please on the best private shore excursion providers. Don't really want to pay P&O prices.

Brian

While researching ports on a future Oceana cruise I was very pleasantly surprised to find that their prices, and more importantly variety , of shore excursions beat the two usual alternative providers.

Now add the loyalty discounts and their deals aren't that bad at all.

Plus the old adage: you get what you pay for.

Cruise shore excursions cannot cater for everyone's needs. frequent wash room visits,and being a wheelchair user, such as my partners needs, are not possible within a group environment, Therefore the cost is not relevant to us.

Private tour guides who are well informed of our needs, prior to arrival,work best for us.

St Petersburg, we have booked a guide, a driver, and a student to push the wheel chair, for the two days we are there.

Love to join everyone else on the ship excursions,but would not be comfortable in doing so.