Can I bring back to USA cuban products from Mexico?

LucyR.

I will be cruising on the Ruby next month and now that Cuba is open to Americans are we able to bring back Cuban products that are imported to Mexico? I am thinking in terms of passing through USA Customs.

I will be cruising on the Ruby next month and now that Cuba is open to Americans are we able to bring back Cuban products that are imported to Mexico? I am thinking in terms of passing through USA Customs.

I'm not sure that has been lifted yet. What are you bringing back?

According to Section 76 of this document:

https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Programs/Documents/cuba_faqs_new.pdf

...alcohol and tobacco products manufactured in Cuba may be brought into the US by US residents returning from a third country, but only in quantities for personal use. They cannot be shipped by common carrier or packaged as gifts, only carried in on your person.

(document linked to from this page on the CBP website)

Edited by fishywood

Actual Cuban products that you can buy in Mexico? I would be a little suspicious of their provenance if they are being sold in Mexico. :rolleyes:

So true, it's a huge counterfeit market in Mexico.

I would not trust any goods for sale in Mexico Actually being Cuban.

Edited by jennybenny
clarifying

Actual Cuban products that you can buy in Mexico? I would be a little suspicious of their provenance if they are being sold in Mexico. :rolleyes:

Cigars, especially those bought one the street or in a souvenir shop are not cuban, despite their labeling or appearance. Liquor, such as Havana Club rum, are genuine. Can't think of anything else that you can buy from Cuba.

Cigars, especially those bought one the street or in a souvenir shop are not cuban, despite their labeling or appearance. Liquor, such as Havana Club rum, are genuine. Can't think of anything else that you can buy from Cuba.

Yeah, I guess I just meant Cigars. I was a bit too broad with my "anything Cuban" comment. My mistake.

Can't say I've seen Cuban rum in Mexico but I'm sure it would be genuine

Costco in Mexico carries Cuban rum at very favorable prices. I've also seen it at Wal-Mart.

As a cigar smoker, even when I've found genuine Habanos from reputable tobacconists in Mexico, the condition has been less than perfect. Maybe an entire box would be ok, but singles from the humidor are usually rough.

La Casa del Habanos is the only place I'll buy premium Cuban cigars in Mexico or the Caribbean. It's my understanding that they are the State owned cigar retailer and have locations all over.

I'm curious to see if the new administration reverses this policy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If its cigars they are probably counterfeit.

Pretty good chance of that. There are so many bogus Cuban cigars. If not purchased in Cuba there is a very good chance one is being scammed. Visit Cartagena Colombia and check out the bazillion street vendors selling "genuine" Cuban cigars. :rolleyes:

Edited by Thrak

Thank you all for your information. It was very helpful.

I plan to cruise for my birthday in Feb. cruising to Mex/Riv ports.

The Ruby Princess stops in Puerto V. and they have a Wal-Mart.

I will look for the cigars and Havana rum. I only want to buy a couple of cigars for my adult son.

I may also find some other cuban products too. LucyR. THANK YOU!!