Fitness swimming & activities on Celebrity Solstice class

Marvy Mare

I hope to try to keep fit while on our first cruise in March 2017. I understand that the food is excellent & I love to eat. I also enjoy cycling, swimming and am a former runner (currently injured so I walk very quickly-lol). I intend to use the bikes and treadmill & running track (if it's not too crowded). I was wondering about length swimming in one of the pools. Is that a possibility? Are the pools salt water or chlorinated? Do I need to wear a cap & would goggles be a good idea?

I think that's it for now.

Maris

Lol. Olympic swimmers do a 50' pool in about 5 strokes. I guess it was a dumb question. As I said, I'm new to this cruise stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yeah, you'd spend more time turning than swimming, and that's only if you were up at the crack of dawn. Otherwise the pool would be too crowded.

Lol. Olympic swimmers do a 50' pool in about 5 strokes. I guess it was a dumb question. As I said, I'm new to this cruise stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Pool length is about 50 -60 feet, and they are usually crowded.. Lap swimming is likely to be more frustrating than worthwhile.

The pools are for getting wet...not so much for "swimming". You can float...and maybe do a few strokes. Pools are quite tiny, and crowded. Plan on doing your athletic swimming in the ocean, at your ports.

Edited by cb at sea

If you consider length swimming to be five strokes, turn, five strokes, turn...you may be okay, as long as you can dodge the other people in the pool. EM

I actually saw someone with one of these swim-in-place resistance belts on one cruise

https://www.amazon.com/TYR-LAQRES-Aquatic-Resistance-Belt/dp/B0093SRN1O/ref=pd_sim_200_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0093SRN1O&pd_rd_r=ZR6WFQ64FHGHMNXFZZ98&pd_rd_w=0WNCL&pd_rd_wg=Q6Gjl&psc=1&refRID=ZR6WFQ64FHGHMNXFZZ98

It would avoid the 5 strokes and turn problem.

DON

Look up Solstice class photos here. Not enough space for Olympic pool on ships. But beautiful indoor pool is bigger than outdoor pool. I swim laps in it. Nice early morning when gym is overcrowded. And is a great gym! I use cap always. My only complaint is people standing in pool who refuse to move or swimmers using 2 lanes.I discovered years ago average American cannot swim.Really a shame But.Celebrity swim pools some of biggest pools at sea.

Edited by zoncom