Long Dresses Waste Of Space

Tiggipaws

Hello

I bought 2 long dresses for my Caribbean cruise over Christmas, before I realised that they no longer have formal nights. Am I going to look stupid. ( they're not ballgowns) I was also going to take a number of cocktail dresses. I don't want to use valiable space in my suitcase if I am. My husband likes wearing a suit, shirt and tie

You will definitely not "look stupid". :) That will be the people who are under-dressed. We saw lots of them on Gala night on our most recent cruise. It was like "anything goes".

I agree. We sailed over the New Year holidays and I didn't see any tuxedos nor fancy long dresses. Smart casual seems to have become "whatever you feel like". I saw plenty of jeans and polo shirts.

Most people still dress up for Gala Nights. You will not look out of place, nor will your husband. I usually have a long dress and a long black skirt. I no longer bring full gowns.

But if you are concerned about packing space you might decide not to bring it all. I don't know your itinerary and how many Gala Nights you will have but two sounds about right. If there will be more than two Gala nights the cocktail dress would be lovely too.

The cocktail dresses might be overkill for smart casual nights. Although late dining I think gives people more time to clean up after long, hot port excursions, so that seating might have people more dressy. But do recognize that on smart casual nights there will be many people in rather casual mode, especially in the Caribbean where, in my observation, the heat and the ports lend themselves to a casual ambiance.

I agree with above, wear what you want to wear, what makes you feel comfortable on your vacation! Have a great cruise! m--

I actually saw more floor length dresses on my Christmas/NY cruise this year than I have seen in previous years. (And in at least one case, at the table next to some people wearing their "dress" sweats! It made for quite the juxtaposition)

Wear what makes you feel fabulous!!!

Hello

I bought 2 long dresses for my Caribbean cruise over Christmas, before I realised that they no longer have formal nights. Am I going to look stupid. ( they're not ballgowns) I was also going to take a number of cocktail dresses. I don't want to use valiable space in my suitcase if I am. My husband likes wearing a suit, shirt and tie

You will look lovely. I still bring a long dress - black velvet. Otherwise my DH who loves to wear black tie on cruises would look "over-dressed". Gala night is the fun night for dressing up. If you got 'em, please do flaunt 'em. I actually think others enjoy the extra sparkle others provide that night too, even when it is their own choice not to participate.

Edited by OlsSalt

I always take a couple long skirts and fancy tops, if the others aren't as dressed up than that's their lose and I do see looks of envy sometimes. But it's your cruise and you should dress as you want not as everyone else is.

Good point -we always do late seating and it seems there is still a good number of those who continue to make Gala night special at that seating. It is certainly a lot easier when there are several hours between leaving a port and dressing up for this evening.

Though it seems the ship typically picks at-sea days or early departure days for Gala nights, when they can.

You've already got the dresses and you both like to dress up, so go for it!

You can make your gala night as "gala" as you wish. And I think holiday cruises are more festive, so you'll probably be glad you brought your "posh frocks." And consider posing for a portrait. Onboard photos can be very expensive, but for a special occasion when you're "dressed to impress," as HAL says, it's a nice memento.

That said, casual nights will probably be very casual. So maybe bring one cocktail dress if you think you might feel like dressing up on a non-gala night (maybe for a Pinnacle dinner?). I wouldn't pack a whole bunch of them unless you're sure you want to dress well above average on those nights.

I enjoy dressing for dinner because it is something I only get to do on cruises so I continue to do so regardless of the changes in dress code. Wear your dresses and enjoy - you won't be alone!

This is exactly how I feel.

I LOVE to get dressed up...and am always looking for a good excuse to get a new fancy dress.

When my niece got married a few years ago, I found an absolutely wonderful long gown, full lace overlay that my niece fell in love with and enthusiastically encouraged me to wear to her wedding. It was a tough purchase to justify for just that one occasion...so off it went with me on not one but two cruises. I got more compliments in that dress! It felt wonderful to enjoy wearing it more than just one night.

My husband is packing his tux for our upcoming Zuiderdam cruise, and I'll have at least one long dress. Tropical heat or not, and it won't matter a whit how many others dress up.

I wouldn't pack a whole bunch of them unless you're sure you want to dress well above average on those nights.

Please do consider dressing "above average". It has been the proliferation of people who obviously insist upon dressing below "average" which has brought the "average" to such a dismal level.

A woman after my own heart.:)

I love long skirts, flowing preferably or long dresses.

You will be stunning and just fine.

They don't take that much more room and are worth every millimetre (or inch ) IMO ,;) of the space they may use in the suitcase. At least to me.

Go for it and wear what you feel good in - you will not be alone:Dogs

I always pack a long skirt with a dressy top. If the cruise is long, I have several long skirts to pick from that are reversible. They don't wrinkle and don't take up any more space in the suitcase. Dressing for dinner even makes the dinner taste better, at least in my opinion. Dress to the nines if you wish, you will not be the only one.

Marianne

Marianne,

I chuckled reading your post. I too like to dress up on occasion, but only do so on cruises because of where we live. However, I also now know why weight is a problem on cruises. The food tastes better! so I eat more. (I really do understand what you mean, but I am always looking for excuses about weight gain on cruises.) Perhaps if I only further "dummed down" my level of dressing I would be skinny. (Written with a humorous intent.)

Thank you so much for all your great replies. I shall be taking and wearing all my dresses including a very sparkly one. I have never been on a cruise and it seems a pity that they no longer have formal nights. I do enjoy dressing up and when we go out for a meal I always dress up, even though most people wear jeans and tee shirts. Lets hope I can fit into them by Decemeber

Given the trends toward specialty venues within cruise ships (which could therefore have their own dress codes), ships-within-ships (such as The Haven), and specialty brands, I don't expect to see any of the mass market brands moving in any direction other than that dictated by the mass market. As long as these other alternatives exist, there's not much sense in any other direction: With these specialty offerings, the special interests (such as formal dress codes) can be served in proportion to their prevalence.

I still take my long skirts with sparkly tops & if the cruise is a long one (over 14 days) may take a long dress or two, but not ballgowns..DH stopped taking his tux, except on our last Prinsendam cruise ..He normally wears a dark suit on Gala nights..

I always take a couple long skirts and fancy tops, if the others aren't as dressed up than that's their lose and I do see looks of envy sometimes. But it's your cruise and you should dress as you want not as everyone else is.

Please tell me what a look of envy is? :confused: I've never seen one..

Thank you so much for all your great replies. I shall be taking and wearing all my dresses including a very sparkly one. I have never been on a cruise and it seems a pity that they no longer have formal nights. I do enjoy dressing up and when we go out for a meal I always dress up, even though most people wear jeans and tee shirts. Lets hope I can fit into them by Decemeber

Since you're in the UK, give Cunard a try. They still have the courage to say "Formal" night, and they mean it. Even their casual (or maybe they call it informal) nights are dressy. On Formal nights I wear gowns, DH wears his tux. On the informal sea nights, I wear cocktail dresses. On informal port nights, I go with something simpler like silk pants and a dressy top.

What I wear on port nights (my lowest tier of dressiness) on Cunard is often dressier than what I see on gala nights on HAL. I'm sometimes tempted to just go with the masses and give up, but for now DH will continue to wear his "optional" jacket and tie and I will wear a long dress on gala nights. But on the other nights, I've started to go "when in Rome."

One of the reasons I dial it back on HAL is that we usually are at a large table in fixed dining. So we sit with the same people every night. Last time on gala night, I was dressed in a gown and a woman at the table was wearing what I guess I'd call a "church dress." She said that she felt frumpy. She was dressed up enough to satisfy HAL, and I certainly did NOT look down my nose at her. I know she was trying to compliment me, but I did feel kind of sad that my choice to dress up made someone else feel bad, especially when she was within HAL's description of "gala." I know, I know, it's her problem not mine. And if she had been one of the "I don't wanna, you can't make me" types, I wouldn't have felt bad at all. But she was very nice, and did look quite nice. Just not as "gala" as I was.

We sailed the Zuiderdam in December -

I took one long black skirt and a couple of fancy tops for gala nights. I do it because it looks good and makes me feel good. :) DH wore a jacket and tie with khaki pants and loafers - also because it makes him feel good. He was about in the middle of the spectrum of men's attire.

For casual nights I wore slacks or dress jeans with nice tops. DH wore the khakis or good jeans with a polo or short sleeve collared shirt. We were in "the norm" for casual.