Sells your information

Cheryl Q

Cruiser beware!! Princess automatically shares your personal information with their affiliates (meaning Princess gets a kickback). You have no control over what the affiliate does with your personal information. It is your problem as Princess does nothing about it. You have to call Princess as well as the national reporting agencies to opt out. Princess must be hard up if they are scraping for pennies. Btw, their people/customer service doesnt bother to call back. Go to another cruise line as you will never know what Princess does with your information when you call for a cruise. #princesscruises

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Cruiser beware!! Princess automatically shares your personal information with their affiliates (meaning Princess gets a kickback). You have no control over what the affiliate does with your personal information. It is your problem as Princess does nothing about it. You have to call Princess as well as the national reporting agencies to opt out. Princess must be hard up if they are scraping for pennies. Btw, their people/customer service doesnt bother to call back. Go to another cruise line as you will never know what Princess does with your information when you call for a cruise. #princesscruises

And you think other line's don't.

Sheesh.

How do you know Princess is doing this? What affiliates are you referring to? We've never gotten unsolicited emails or phone calls that we had any reason to believe came from Princess referrals. If you're referring to ads that appear on your computer screen, those come from every website we visit - not unique to Princess by any means.

Edited by Kartgv

This is nothing new, nor is it particular to Princess.

As part of the software that companies use to gather your data, most ALL share those data to other companies. Most have no "opt out" option.

That's just how it is.

I'm not aware of any legal requirement for an information sharing opt-out feature with regard to non-financial services businesses. Gramm-Leach-Bliley, which governs information sharing for banks, credit unions and brokerages, doesn't apply non-financial services companies.

Most companies will honor some level of restrictions on information sharing, but that is also up to them to enforce.

So far, the only information I'm aware that Princess is sharing is my name and address, and so far that has only gotten me cruise promotional materials from other Carnival Corp. companies, such as HAL and Seaborn.

What specifically has the OP found to be shared which is objectionable?

Which cruise line?

If you have created a profile on your Captains Circle account, on the first page of your profile Contact Details if you scroll halfway down you will find the options to opt out of e-mail, snail mail, telephone or all three contacts. Yes if you continue to opt in you will receive the occasional brochure or e-mail from HAL, Costa, or Seabourn (nice to dream about the latter line). Used to get from Carnival too but I guess their marketing matrix now considers me more upscale :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear that such correspondence so deeply bothers the OP. But I also wonder if the OP ever went to the Find A Cruise section on the Cruise Critic main page--for sure that will get you correspondence from a TA advertiser that is certified in the line you may have looked.

Cheryl Q,

For full disclosure, could you please tell us which "other cruise line" are you employed by.

Go to another cruise line as you will never know what Princess does with your information when you call for a cruise.

Cruise critic sells your data, too. Now that you have posted here, your data will be all over the internet before I finish typing this sentence.

Any business who has your information whether it be a department store, supermarket, hotel chain or cruise line will sell your information to a 3rd party marketing group. They track you buying habits and solicit accordingly. If you are not comfortable with that I wouldn't bother searching the internet because that is far worse. Big Brother is watching everywhere.

Ten day cruise and a Bingo card?

OK, the 10 day cruise sounds good. The Bingo card, you get that anyway when you do the "$500.00 (or is it $1000.00 ?) Treasure Hunt" (must be present to win, HT to Pescado Amerillo for that) on embarkation day. :cool:

Edited by ar1950