College Spring Break - which ship and when

Hi,

I am trying to find a spring break cruise with a large 21-25 year old demographic.

I know everyone says to book a shorter itinerary ship during the weeks of March 6 or 12, but I feel it's still a toss up as to which ship will primarily be college students.

While I know some intentionally look to avoid these ships, is there any way for me to find the popular ship(s) with this demographic, whichever of thee two weeks is more popular?

I know the Independence, Navigator, Enchantment, Empress and Monarch all have shorter, cheaper itineraries during these two weeks. I tried calling Royal Caribbean to see if they can identify the most popular sailings/ships during these two weeks, but the sales department was unable to assist.

I know it's a popular two weeks for what I am looking for, but I feel it's still a gamble as to which 1 or 2 ships will be popular during these 1 or 2 weeks.

Thank you very much.

Hi,

I am trying to find a spring break cruise with a large 21-25 year old demographic.

I know everyone says to book a shorter itinerary ship during the weeks of March 6 or 12, but I feel it's still a toss up as to which ship will primarily be college students.

While I know some intentionally look to avoid these ships, is there any way for me to find the popular ship(s) with this demographic, whichever of thee two weeks is more popular?

I know the Independence, Navigator, Enchantment, Empress and Monarch all have shorter, cheaper itineraries during these two weeks. I tried calling Royal Caribbean to see if they can identify the most popular sailings/ships during these two weeks, but the sales department was unable to assist.

I know it's a popular two weeks for what I am looking for, but I feel it's still a gamble as to which 1 or 2 ships will be popular during these 1 or 2 weeks.

Thank you very much.

Assuming you are talking about collegiate "spring break," you should realize that the dates nowadays are pretty much a moving target including the "traditional" week before or week after Easter, the "dead center" week in the middle of a spring semester in a 4/4 configuration vs a 4/1/4 configuration or the middle week of an academic quarter. Perhaps you should narrow your dates based on a collection of college break dates that come closest to the demographic population you'd prefer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks. Already know the popular weeks that overlap with my time off (either March 6 or March 11, the two most popular college spring break weeks).

The ships mentioned - Independence, Empress, Radiance, Monarch and Navigator - all have shorter itineraries. Just don't know which one or two are the "popular" ships this year during either of those two weeks for college students.

Thanks!

Thanks. Already know the popular weeks that overlap with my time off (either March 6 or March 11, the two most popular college spring break weeks).

The ships mentioned - Independence, Empress, Radiance, Monarch and Navigator - all have shorter itineraries. Just don't know which one or two are the "popular" ships this year during either of those two weeks for college students.

Thanks!

They may be the weeks that work best for you and are prevalent in your region. However, the more likely most often scheduled collegiate spring breaks across the US would generally fall during the last week of March and first week of April (in 2017) because the majority of semester institutions have a 4/1/4 academic year calendar.

They may be the weeks that work best for you and are prevalent in your region. However, the more likely most often scheduled collegiate spring breaks across the US would generally fall during the last week of March and first week of April (in 2017) because the majority of semester institutions have a 4/1/4 academic year calendar.

Nope the op is correct with his march spring break weeks

We were on Enchantment the week of March 11th 2 years ago and there were a lot of college age kids on board then.

Just a guess but I would say that the 2 ships most likely to have the most college age kids on board would be the Enchantment and the Majesty on either the 3 or 4 day cruises.

OP I would avoid Oasis Class ships.

They will be filled with grade school Break kids with progressively more kids each cruise through the month of March. We have done B2B and single week March cruises for years and can attest to it. Our 10 year old son loves it.

Edited by A&L_Ont

An awful lot of the colleges and universities in North east have spring break in 1st 2 weeks of April this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Really? Both of my college students start the academic year late (right around Labor Day), and I think the last day of finals is May 10th. Many colleges her start the spring semester next week (some are back already) and spring breaks are the first or second week in March. I don't know of any school with an April spring break.

Thanks!

I don't thing there are only "one or two" popular ships. However, my guess would be Enchantment and Majesty would be two very popular ships.

Really? Both of my college students start the academic year late (right around Labor Day), and I think the last day of finals is May 10th. Many colleges her start the spring semester next week (some are back already) and spring breaks are the first or second week in March. I don't know of any school with an April spring break.

I think it is a regional thing. In Ontario Canada college/university break is most mid-February with finals done before The end of April. They start right after Labor Day weekend in September. Grade schools are March 13-17 this year. They end June 29th for the summer and will return back September 6.

While cruising we have discovered that many different regions across the states hold their breaks, starting and ending at different time frames throughout the year. In Canada it follows the same general time frame, unless it is an all year school of they get longer breaks over the holidays.

OP I would avoid Oasis Class ships.

They will be filled with grade school Break kids with progressively more kids each cruise through the month of March. We have done B2B and single week March cruises for years and can attest to it. Our 10 year old son loves it.

I heard its also a long wait on the flowrider's.;)

Southeastern schools have break earlier. Univ. of Florida is Mar. 4-12 and Florida state is Mar. 11-18. Many other southern schools are also around the same time. The college age kids drive to the port and load the ships... Sometimes two thousand just from one school.

My daughter and some of her friends from FSU are boarding Navigator on Mar. 12. 5 days was the most popular for my sons when they did spring break over the years.

They always have college spring break the first 3 weeks of March. Those saying spring break is later just are not looking up the schools dates... or are basing on their school only!

As posted before, here is a list of spring breaks by each school in the USA!

https://www.studentcity.com/plan-a-trip/overview/when-my-spring-break

And just for kicks and giggles, this is a spring break cruise my son was one with some of his friends. You really do not want to target a cruise that has been taken over by a few large schools.... This happens every year on a few ships.

Edited by dasi11

I agree spring break is the 1/2/3rd week of march

One exception I recall a few years back was Binghamton univ that took the 1st week of April but don't know what they do now

Colleges do not schedule their break around Easter or Passover either

There are always exceptions of course but the rule of thumb is march for spring break

My son's is the week of 4/10 and my niece's is the week before.

That is not the norm though

You don't mention the schools they go to but it is possible that the schools want to for some reason coordinate with high school break or religious holiday break

Again April is not the norm for colleges but it should be noted that the weeks of April 10 and 17 are prime time for high school and below spring break

So the ships will sail at 104% of capacity and the ages of the kids will be under 18

Just an FYI. As a parent of several high school and college kids....

If you want a springtime cruise that is not crazy full with the under 21 crowd....

Go the 1st or 2nd week of May

You can't go wrong with those weeks

College kids are taking exams

High school kids are taking AP exams

Younger kids are being kids on their school playgrounds

You can use this website to scan when colleges have their scheduled Spring Break. Most are within that 1-2 weeks you are referring to and I think either week would have a large amount of Spring Breakers.

Agree with Bob that Enchantment and Majesty would likely be popular ships for Spring Breakers.

This site will advise you who is on break and when,

Glenn

There are about 800 on this list. There are approx. 4000 higher ed institutions in North America. The largest statewide enrollment for higher ed (even just the public sector) is California with three systems (CSU, UC and CCC) and most of them (on the list or not) have their spring break during the latter part of March. And into the first week of April.

Once again, it's a moving target varying from pre/post Easter to mid semester (with varying configurations) or quarter, or some other idiosyncratic behavior (e.g., February winter break aka Ski Week).

My sons school is indeed Binghamton. Also know Cornell is in April as well. I see from the list that indeed the vast majority is in March, so I am corrected!

It looks like Cornell has moved the spring break dates in the recent years

When my dd was at there 6 years ago they too had march break