Kids on Celebrity

jimdicap

That date is in the middle of the European summer holiday season for kids, so you'll get more kids on every line you choose than if you sailed in September. Royal will be full of families, can't speak for NCL because we've not cruised with them, however they do regularly offer kids for free places. X do have more kids during the summer season, but not to the degree of Royal. We've completed a few cruises in the Med, both on Royal and X, all with our children as they have sailed on all our cruises (check my signatures for specific areas) ;).

You need to look at the itineraries too - Med cruises can be very port intensive, so plan accordingly. The kids may have certain places they are really interested in seeing, especially your 11 yr old (Greek myths, Pompeii, The Acropolis etc.). We've always tried to find places that they would like to visit too.

Previously, when they were younger, I made journals for them to complete on their cruise. Each day they had to complete a couple of pages with questions of where they had been, favourite place and why, questions specific to the place e.g. how many steps to reach a certain building or count the guards on duty outside a palace etc. I also included ship specific questions and blank pages to adhere coins, photos, guide pamphlets etc., to add to their memories. It did take me a while to construct, but the kids enjoyed filling them in while they waited for dinner each evening - it kept them occupied and was also a great way to keep the memories alive (discussing the day as a family and hearing the differing experiences is also great for bonding). Anyway, just an idea if your youngest is not into the clubs so much :).

I love the ideas of journals - I think both my kids would really like that.

I'm not concerned with how many kids really - we'll be sailing with a friend of ours who has a daughter who is my oldest's age. So she'll have constant friendship, and they're pretty good about letting the little one play too.

Do you have a preference RCI vs X for med? RCI hasn't announced ships yet for next summer. Rumor has it the new Symphony will be in Barcelona. It's tempting, but goodness it'll be crazy. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I love the ideas of journals - I think both my kids would really like that.

I'm not concerned with how many kids really - we'll be sailing with a friend of ours who has a daughter who is my oldest's age. So she'll have constant friendship, and they're pretty good about letting the little one play too.

Do you have a preference RCI vs X for med? RCI hasn't announced ships yet for next summer. Rumor has it the new Symphony will be in Barcelona. It's tempting, but goodness it'll be crazy. Lol

Europe is different from cruising in the Caribbean: it's far more about the history and sightseeing than beaches and sunbathing. Now don't get me wrong, when we sail a Caribbean itinerary we want to see as much of the Island as is possible because we are not sunworshippers, however, Europe is more about the history, sights etc. You can go to one port many times e.g. Villefranche/Monaco, 7 times for us, and still find new places to visit.

What I'm trying to say is the large Royal ships are more about experiencing the ship, whereas exploring Europe is more about the ports and enjoying a relaxing time when you're back onboard. I think you have to decide which type of experience you want. We enjoy both for different reasons, but have moved more towards X in recent years. Itineraries do tend to be at the top of our list though ;).

Europe is different from cruising in the Caribbean: it's far more about the history and sightseeing than beaches and sunbathing. Now don't get me wrong, when we sail a Caribbean itinerary we want to see as much of the Island as is possible because we are not sunworshippers, however, Europe is more about the history, sights etc. You can go to one port many times e.g. Villefranche/Monaco, 7 times for us, and still find new places to visit.

What I'm trying to say is the large Royal ships are more about experiencing the ship, whereas exploring Europe is more about the ports and enjoying a relaxing time when you're back onboard. I think you have to decide which type of experience you want. We enjoy both for different reasons, but have moved more towards X in recent years. Itineraries do tend to be at the top of our list though ;).

I'd definitely vote for iten before ship! I've been to some of Europe (land based) and I STILL didn't get to do all I wanted. I love the big ships in the Caribbean because I can spend about 2 hours on the beach before I'm fried. So having all kinds of places to go and things to do works.

I imagine the Europe cruises are so packed you're simply exhausted at the end.

Our first Celebrity cruise was two years ago, Baltic cruise. Our daughters were 15 and 18. The 15 year old was hardly ever with us, she made many friends and still keeps up with them today. We are going on a British Isles cruise in June and she cant wait. We've sailed Princess and Disney -- Frankly, she loves them all.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Mynki, not a troll, he's on here everytime there's a kids thread. If you read his previous threads he believes that Celebrity Ships should be for adults only and I'm being kind. He does post some good things though but not about children.

Define troll. In my mind, someone who posts just to be contrary is in fact a troll. X isn't adult only and likely never will be. If that is truly his viewpoint, shouldn't he just cruise on adult only luxury lines? Rather than post snarky comments on threads where people are asking legitimate questions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's too bad you let that impression, created by some, influence your decision. Celebrity does a great job with the kids. They love it. And the kids are ordinarily well behaved and create no problems for the adult passengers.

The number of people posting here are a minuscule drop in the bucket compared to the number of passengers that sail Celebrity every year. And as with most forums such as these, they tend to attract the vocal minority who seem to be the most disgruntled or who complain the most.

Give me a dozen kids any day over a single grumpy curmudgeon.

Well said!!😀

Sent from my SM-G925V using Forums mobile app

Define troll. In my mind, someone who posts just to be contrary is in fact a troll. X isn't adult only and likely never will be. If that is truly his viewpoint, shouldn't he just cruise on adult only luxury lines? Rather than post snarky comments on threads where people are asking legitimate questions.

Enough with the childish troll talk .

I guess we have different views on what a troll is. While I don't agree with Mr 57's stance on kids , I don't start spewing troll accusations on people just because they disagree with me . Clearly his opinion is not " just to be contrary " if he believes it . I disagree with lots of what I read on CC . I guess that makes me a troll too .

I've appreciated everyone's input because we've had the very same questions. We love Celebrity an have talked about taking our children in a year or two (none of them have cruised before). When we go our son will be 18, and two daughters 9 and 11. Does Celebrity have adjoining rooms? I'd be interested to know what people prefer.

I've appreciated everyone's input because we've had the very same questions. We love Celebrity an have talked about taking our children in a year or two (none of them have cruised before). When we go our son will be 18, and two daughters 9 and 11. Does Celebrity have adjoining rooms? I'd be interested to know what people prefer.

Taking our 2 ages 11 and 7 in April on Equinox. ..we have a concierge veranda, and kids are in adjacent inside cabin..deck 9.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

Just off the 2 week Carib Eclipse.

Not a kid in sight. No screaming, no running, no crying in dining rooms, no strollers, not a single kid jumping into the pool. It was wonderful

Yes there one was a very winy toddler, around the neck of one woman, who looked like she will rethink her choice next time, leave the kid at home and have a wonderful time.

I had a grandfather who really did not want to be around any children until they were at least in high school, especially on vacation. He didn't like the screaming, running, crying, strollers, or jumping in the pool. He also didn't get to experience the squeals of delight, laughter, smiles, tight hugs, sloppy kisses, and warmth of them falling asleep on your shoulder or in your lap. He missed the wonder of watching them discover and enjoy new things. It aged him faster. He wound up being very lonely I think. He became grumpy and then nobody wanted to be around him either.

I'm sure the children and families with children on vacation don't care for your presence either.

Thank you for this! I just assumed Celebrity would be like Royal and issue a number.

Thank you too- I couldn't locate my kids past Seapass cards but I got Celebrity to confirm in an email that those cruises have been taken by my kids. Hopefully if there is a Celebrity computer system change in future years then that email might help with proving the cruises were taken... cheers!

So they are connected by a door? That sounds awesome!

You can book connecting cabins. On the S class ships, the outside door is closed and the two inner doors are left open, making a little hall between the 2 balcony cabins ;). You can then request for the balcony divider to be opened and this results in a larger balcony.

If you look on the deck plans, those cabins that have the little black line between the cabins are interconnecting.

Celebrity has some adjoining rooms but not many. On the S class, this is done by actually creating an entrance foyer in front of the rooms where you enter from the hall. On M class ships it is a mid cabin door similar to adjoining hotel rooms. The other option on S class ships is the family veranda cabin if one is available. It is essentially a two bedroom suite at veranda pricing. There is a large king size br and a small bunk bed br, and then the sofa in the living room converts to a single bed. The FVR cabin is spacious at 580 feet, but there is only one bathroom. There are only 4 FVR per ship, the forward corners of decks 7 and 8. Because they are forward, they are bouncy in rough seas, and noisy early in the morning when pulling into port. And far from everything. But big.

Celebrity has some adjoining rooms but not many. On the S class, this is done by actually creating an entrance foyer in front of the rooms where you enter from the hall. On M class ships it is a mid cabin door similar to adjoining hotel rooms. The other option on S class ships is the family veranda cabin if one is available. It is essentially a two bedroom suite at veranda pricing. There is a large king size br and a small bunk bed br, and then the sofa in the living room converts to a single bed. The FVR cabin is spacious at 580 feet, but there is only one bathroom. There are only 4 FVR per ship, the forward corners of decks 7 and 8. Because they are forward, they are bouncy in rough seas, and noisy early in the morning when pulling into port. And far from everything. But big.

Even if the cabins don't actually adjoin and are only adjacent, the veranda dividers can always be opened and you can go back and forth by going outside. We actually did this with my parents our most recent cruise so my daughter could go back and forth. It worked out really well.

Just responding to your question, a troll is also someone who comes into a discussion, thread, board, whatever and then disappears. That is what I was responding to and this poster has been on this board on many issues so by this definition was not a troll.

We sail Celebrity about once a year. It is the cruise line we used to use when I was in high school with my parents and we loved it so much that we continue. A lot has changed since then, grew up, to married, had kids. Our daughters have been cruising since they were 6 months old. We have done 2 Disney cruises, and 3 Celebrity. Yes, Disney is amazing with kids, but that is expected. I am not going to lie, we were very concerned with the people on Celebrity giving us looks, or how they would feel about our child being with us, especially being so young. I was pleasantly surprised when everyone was beyond nice and helpful. The other passengers were always smiling around the kids and they crew was beyond helpful. We came to find out that a good majority of them had children at home that they missed and any child made them smile.

So to answer the original question, we take celebrity with two children and have always had a fantastic experience. They also both have food allergies and celebrity has always been very careful with them. Our daughters are now five and three and we are going on another celebrity cruise next month :)

My opinions are based on a few horrible cruises where the children ran a muck. Parents laughed when asked to step in to discipline. A few areas of the ship could not be enjoyed. Not even the adult areas. Yes security was called to remove a tot in diapers in the hot tub. I dont need to rehash our experiences to let all know that we do our best to take longer cruises and a time when maybe most would be in school But babies and tots, very hard to avoid them.

For all those who disagree with me, perhaps you have not experienced what we have. You are lucky or dont cruise much.

The experiences were of such negative intensity that in each case Celebrity offered us a discount towards a future cruise.

Our last cruise as I said , almost no babies, tots, no screaming. No one crying in the MDR or Specialty restaurants.

It was wonderful.

Enough with the childish troll talk .

I guess we have different views on what a troll is. While I don't agree with Mr 57's stance on kids , I don't start spewing troll accusations on people just because they disagree with me . Clearly his opinion is not " just to be contrary " if he believes it . I disagree with lots of what I read on CC . I guess that makes me a troll too .

Rich:

We could be considered trolls for sticking up for Mr. 57 and you and I have been on this board forever. Enough already, I'm done.

Rich:

We could be considered trolls for sticking up for Mr. 57 and you and I have been on this board forever. Enough already, I'm done.

Not by those who understand the true definition of internet troll you couldn't. A troll can be a forum regular, so post number 94 doesn't even come close to a universally recognised description.

The biggest troll I've come across on the cruise critic forum has several thousand posts and is online practically every day. ;)

Back on topic, it looks like the vast majority think that the Op's kids will have a great time so I wish them well if they choose to book.

Not by those who understand the true definition of internet troll you couldn't. A troll can be a forum regular, so post number 94 doesn't even come close to a universally recognised description.

The biggest troll I've come across on the cruise critic forum has several thousand posts and is online practically every day. ;)

Back on topic, it looks like the vast majority think that the Op's kids will have a great time so I wish them well if they choose to book.

This all started because in post #68 I tried to help you understand in a nice way that there was a history by this poster that goes way back before you were a member of this board. Sorry for trying to help.

You have your universal understanding and others have theirs, a troll could also be someone who comes on a board to dispute everything that someone says whether it is accurate or not.