Rum Runner Risks

Clepire

So you are one of those kind of people :). So all rules should be followed blindly no matter what because they are rules? There's a few dictatorships in power for those reasons :D

That's the worst comparison I've ever read, congrats.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

That's the worst comparison I've ever read, congrats.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

You are correct. It was meant to be an intentionally stupid comment. I was keeping in line to the comment I was replying to.

What cruise line was this? RCL will call you down to the 'naughty room'. I've always heard they are not allowed to open your bag outside of your presence, even if unlocked.

We took rum-runners just once but the drink packages make that unnecessary.

Nope. According to the ticket contract, Section 8j: "In the interests of safety and security, passengers and their baggage are subject to inspection or monitoring electronically without the passenger's consent or knowledge."

Once on Enchantment the cruise director went on a tangent about this during love and marriage when one of the husbands on stage refused a drink but had a soda cup in his hand. He said the cruise line does not care about lost revenue of smuggling drinks as they believe the bar experience offers enough additional value beyond just the liquor. Royal Caribbean's main concern is their inability to cut someone off if they become too belligerent.

The best place for larger Rum Runners is in the Run Runner warehouse.:p

If you want to attempt to bring a wee dram of something special on board to savor in your cabin or mix in your own concoction, then the smaller 8 oz. rumrunners inside the large pocket of a cargo shorts or cargo pants being worn by you at the time you embark will easily get through. Just take everything else out of your shorts before hand. Keys, coinage, wallet, phone etc. And place nothing else in the same pocket.

Any other method is caveat emptor.

What about wine? I know you are allowed two bottles per cabin. What if you put two bottles in your carry-on and two bottles in your checked luggage. How would they know? Do they keep a record of the two bottles you carry with you?

What about wine? I know you are allowed two bottles per cabin. What if you put two bottles in your carry-on and two bottles in your checked luggage. How would they know? Do they keep a record of the two bottles you carry with you?

Sometimes they keep track.

wine in checked has 60-70% chance of being found. And a 40% chance of being broken. Once found, you either ose it entirely or don't see it until end of cruise. If broken, you'll smell like a wino the entire cruise:p

Once on Enchantment the cruise director went on a tangent about this during love and marriage when one of the husbands on stage refused a drink but had a soda cup in his hand. He said the cruise line does not care about lost revenue of smuggling drinks as they believe the bar (cruise) experience offers enough additional value beyond just the liquor. Royal Caribbean's main concern is their inability to cut someone off if they become too belligerent.

I read through 81 messages to find one that was original and interesting. Did you mean cruise experience is enough?

Not that I've done this..BUT...if you get ten 50ml bottles of booze and tape them together in a straight line you can put 5 in each pocket of your cargo shorts. That's it very simple. Just make sure you button those pockets and have all metal out of your shorts so you attract the least amount of attention possible at security. Now if taped tightly you can probably do two rows of five in each pocket without looking out of place. The caps do not seem to set off the metal detectors. Now if I have done this on my previous two cruises it worked EVERY TIME. But as many others have said with the drink package you are really paying for convenience. The smuggle is fun but also horribly inconvenient to work out the logistics. The only benefit to this is if you want to have a cocktail while getting ready to go to dinner or if you don't want to have to run to a bar to run back to the balcony just to relax and take in the ocean breeze. Of course since some of my favorite bourbon brands are being wiped from the Oasis Class ships this provides a whole other reason to give this one a shot.

Edited by Spacecaydet
typo

• 2 weeks later...

Used rum runners last cruise, a couple in each checked bag. No problems. All got through. Having said that, I used very little of it and mainly bought drinks. But my wife has to have her Forty Creek which isn't carried on the ships.

not a wine drinker - think a 750 ml hard cider would get through?

Not in my experience. I attempted to bring a bottle of lambic, which looks exactly like a wine bottle, but they took it away.

Just got back and successfully used a 32oz RumRunner knock-off I got on Amazon. I didn't realize it was a knock-off set until I tested them, they leaked and I double checked my order. I didn't have time to reorder so fixed it with plumber tape- no leaks.

I put it into my cargo shorts pocket and walked through the metal detector with no issues. They sent me over to have our wine checked, but he barely glanced at the bottles and waved me through. We could've brought sodas, water, etc. as saw it allowed. We bought a 12 pk of Sprite on board for $25.

This was in the Galveston port.

• 3 months later...

I think the scanners are getting much better. We used to be able to bring on boxed wine. On our last cruise we packed a box in each bag. One got through, the other was confiscated. We usually opt for the drinks package if it's included as a perk in a promotion (Celebrity offers this frequently and now I see Princess is starting to do the same), but we won't pay $400 for a drinks package. Just not worth it. I'm thinking smugglers are going to have to come up with some better inventions. ;)

When we sailed on Disney and they allowed you to carry on your own alcohol, we got juice at breakfast and kept it in the fridge for mixers later in the day.

They do not let you bring liquor on anymore. You can only bring wine/champagne and its limited to 2 bottles per person over 21 in state room