What mistake did you make on your first cruise

PDXgranny

My first cruise was in 2013 and it was a 7-day cruise to Alaska on the Volendam. I was focused on priced and wanted to book the cheapest cabin possible. So, I booked a Guarantee Inside. I was traveling with my mom and the cabin was too small, and I hated not having a window. I have to know what the weather is outside at all times. It is that simple. I want to wake up in the morning and see if it is cloudy or rainy or sunny. I want to know if we are docked or at sea.

As a result of my first cruise, I found out that I loathe spending any money on a cruise ship if I can avoid it. (Actually, I loathe spending money when I'm not cruising too!) I did not realize before cruising that many of the venues/activities on a cruise ship are not free. Wine tasting? Not free. Art auctions? Not free. Drinking beer? Not free. Gambling? Not free. Gourmet coffee? Not free. Too escape these temptations, I found myself hiding in my cabin. Unfortunately, an inside is way too small and it felt like solitary confinement. I will never book an inside again. Now, I book a Verandah and can comfortably avoid these nefarious attempts to separate money from my wallet.

Edited by ChinaShrek

I'm sure almost every one will believe that story.

Ok, here is the honest truth. First cruise back in 70's. Picked cheapest outside cabin, very front of ship. Didn't know on older ships deck sloped upward from one end of our cabin floor to other. There was a 6 inches drop in floor

Ok, here is the honest truth. First cruise back in 70's. Picked cheapest outside cabin, very front of ship. Didn't know on older ships deck sloped upward from one end of our cabin floor to other. There was a 6 inches drop in floor

Amazing the number of posts lamenting going as cheap as possible on their first cruise.

Amazing the number of posts lamenting going as cheap as possible on their first cruise.

Thinking, maybe people on the first cruise assume that cruising is a lot more expensive than land vacations and you have to be in the upper tax bracket to afford them. Surprise, it's usually cheaper!:cool:

I went on my first cruise (a 4-day Christmas cruise) with my parents and sister when I was 8 or 9. I guess the only mistake I never made again was worrying about the ship sinking. (The original "Poseidon Adventure" movie had just come out that year -- it was 1972.)

I remember getting to our cabin, which had a small porthole, and wondering how we would ever be able to get out the window if we had to abandon ship!

However, after the muster drill, I must say I never thought about it again and had a wonderful time. In fact, I fell in love with cruising and have continued doing it -- more or less often -- for the last 45 years!

My first cruise was a 10 day on Princess on the west coast. Still one of the best cruises we have taken. My mistake was thinking I would be bored on sea days. I took all sort of games and activities to keep me busy. Never used any of them. Sea days, for me, are the best part of cruising. I enjoy just walking around the ship and the decks looking at everything and the sea. Oh and the eating. I also still way over-pack. One reason is we always drive to the port so airline restrictions don't apply.

The mistake I make on my first cruise was to take my first wife. Had a horrible time. She went on her way within a year. Found my current wife a year later and after 38+ years of marriage and over two dozen cruises we are still together and love our cruises.

Dan

...and NEVER made again? :o

Leaving packing too close to the cut off time to put luggage out. Woke up in the middle of the night and realized that I had packed ALL my shoes:eek: Next morning I had to wear my mother's slippers off the ship that were 2 sizes too small. Never made this mistake again.

Mistake: attending the Welcome Aboard Show on our first cruise back in 1999. Although the CD was great, it was obvious that the cruise line was being compensated to promote businesses for port shopping. Although some cruisers would like it, I have never attended another one.

Regret: not cruising sooner. The cruise above was our first when I was 30 and my wife 28. We wish we had gone sooner. My kids, ages 15 and 11 now, have reaped the benefits of that regret with our cruise next month being their 4th already. Lucky ducks. :)

Edited by coondog99

We booked our first cruise on Carnival for four days from LA to Mexico. Wanting to do it cheap. When we found that two more people in our cabin would bring the price way down per person we invited a couple of friends to share with us. When we boarded they offered us separate cabins, but on a lower deck. We had heard that the lower you were the worse it was, so we said no. How stupid was that?!? So we were four guys in one tiny cabin rather than two each in two cabins for the same price one deck lower. And one guy was sick most of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We booked our first cruise on Carnival for four days from LA to Mexico. Wanting to do it cheap. When we found that two more people in our cabin would bring the price way down per person we invited a couple of friends to share with us. When we boarded they offered us separate cabins, but on a lower deck. We had heard that the lower you were the worse it was, so we said no. How stupid was that?!? So we were four guys in one tiny cabin rather than two each in two cabins for the same price one deck lower. And one guy was sick most of the time.

We have a winner!!!!!!

Forgetting my husband's luggage... And I will never hear the end of it...We were traveling with our 5 yr old at the time and we packed 1 bag per person plus a garment bag and carry-on for 7 day cruise out of Ft Lauderdale ..I thought he had put the luggage In the car and he thought I had done so he locked the house and started our 5 hr drive the night before , arriving at the hotel I took the carry-on and went to bed, the next morning as we were getting ready husband goes to the car for his bag ..It wasn't there...It was Easter Sunday ..Only store open was Walmart.. Thankfully the garment bag had suit/shirts for dinner...but shoes,shorts, t-shirts,belt,socks and all basic stuff had to get from Walmart and of course we were running late ...Since then we do triple check before leaving our driveway and he always mention it as we drive away

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Forgetting my husband's luggage... And I will never hear the end of it.It was Easter Sunday ..Only store open was Walmart.. Thankfully the garment bag had suit/shirts for dinner...but shoes,shorts, t-shirts,belt,socks and all basic stuff had to get from Walmart and of course we were running late ...Since then we do triple check before leaving our driveway and he always mention it as we drive away

Great story! It wasn't our first cruise but my husband packed my disembarkation outfit in our luggage on the last night of our cruise. I had everything I needed draped over one hanger and he just threw it all into the suitcase. I had to borrow a pair of capris from someone we met at the meet and greet and I wore my husband's dirty polo shirt from the night before. Lovely.

great story! It wasn't our first cruise but my husband packed my disembarkation outfit in our luggage on the last night of our cruise. I had everything i needed draped over one hanger and he just threw it all into the suitcase. I had to borrow a pair of capris from someone we met at the meet and greet and i wore my husband's dirty polo shirt from the night before. Lovely.

ouch!!!!

Our first cruise was to the Mexican Riviera in February. Weather was supposed to be mid70s to 80s, so I packed accordingly. Froze my bootie off the entire time I was on the ship! The Pacific ocean is COLD, even when its warm on land!

We also flew the same day, and even though it was just San Francisco to LA, it was a long stressful day. We ended up not getting to eat all day, and the line at the pier was wrapped around the outside of the building. We stood in line about 4 hours before finally making it aboard, just in time for muster. We were so exhausted we didn't really enjoy the first 2 days.

Edited by NoobCruise

A mistake my husband and I made on our first cruise was that I had all of my things packed in my suitcase and he had all of his things packed in his suitcase. Unfortunately, my suitcase did not make it to Venice. His did. After that cruise, we put half of each of our items in each suitcase so that if one suitcase doesn't make it we still have at least half a wardrobe which is better than no wardrobe at all!!

...we put half of each of our items in each suitcase so that if one suitcase doesn't make it we still have at least half a wardrobe which is better than no wardrobe at all!!

I know a number of people who travel together that do this! Just remember to pack enough in each case to get by with (ie: not all underwear in one case, and all shirts in the other).

We made mistakes on the first 3 of our cruises (all pre CC).

1. Our first cruise was on a small ship in the Great Barrier Reef - did not pack enough. They wanted my husband in slacks for dinner we only had shorts...

2. Our second cruise was on one of the huge RCCL cruise ships - we did not look into excursions & thought we could wing it - horrible day walking on the road in Aruba. (My more recent stop in Aruba was 100% better!)

3. Third cruise on Carnival when my son was old enough to go to the camp. (2 years old.) We packed TOOO much. Our first stop was Ft. Lauderdale - we rented a car & our first stop was the post office - we mailed stuff home.

By the 4th cruise, we finally figured it out.

With all of our mistakes all of our cruises have been GREAT! (& we still go cheap.)

In 1984, my husbands company won a sales contest and four of us went. My husbands co-workers (husband and wife) had cruised before.

When we sat to dinner the first night and handed the menus I first noticed that there were no prices on the menus, hmmm... must be VERY expensive and husband had prices on his menu. I just ordered a main dish, my husband ordered maybe two dishes and our traveling companions ordered appetizers, soups, salads and a main dish (and dessert later) After dinner (declining dessert, lol) they were ready to leave and I mentioned about the bill not being brought to us. "Oh, its all included". Talk about not doing my research, lol.

We've since brought our DD, her boyfriend and our nephew on cruises and at our first meal we would explain how it works. The only problem was that when we would take our daughter to a restaurant she couldn't understand that she could not order multiple items!

When we took our nephew on his first cruise, once he walked into the cabin, he remarks, "this is way too small, we need to go to the front desk and get a new room". We still laugh about that.