Back from the beautiful Equinox.....

sheilb4

Just got back after a very enjoyable week on Equinox. Having sailed on Silhouette I knew what to expect re layout etc and also had chosen same suite type with a corner aft... wonderful!

Pre-cruise, New Years Eve, and day, I stayed at the Renaissance on 17th st. Wouldn't stay there again.and the quietest, most boring NYE ever... it was like a ghost town area... very disappointing. The hotel staff were not too friendly either... asked if anything going on in the area, just answered No. that was it.. ok then.......the room was nice but view of a building site and new construction was not very inspiring....never mind... did enjoy a lovely lunch at Bimini Boatyard just a few steps away.

Embarkation was delayed by about an hour or so due to extra cleaning after having had a Noro breakout, but you would never have known any issues.... allegedly many cruisers received text/email communication about the delay...I didn't, so thanks to Cruise critic I read about it so left for the port a bit later than I usually would, and walked straight on...thank you CC!

Luggage arrived sooner than expected so that was nice, I had forgotten my steamer and all my clothing was creased so my cabin attendant, dear Kasim, took it all and had it pressed and put on hangers for me! How wonderful!!! What a great start and service!

I was traveling solo as I often do, so usually spend the day lying in the sun and soaking up those rays, with some relish foo foo drink, , ;) and then at night would venture down to the Martini bar before dinner....and have my fave "Lychee-tini" yum! Met some very nice people, although all couples, I didn't feel too uncomfortable being alone....for the most part everyone was very friendly, so it wasn't too bad. That's just one of those things....drinking and dining alone... but you make the best of it don't you..... the staff at the Martini bar are just super friendly and most entertaining!

I ate at the suite restaurant, Luminae, a few times, it was ok. Again staff were so nice but food was hit or miss.... service very slow as there appeared to be less servers than on previous sailings.

Enjoyed dinners at Murano and Sushi on 5 and also had my wonderful Butler, Dragos, serve me dinners in my suite which was delightful. Gave me the menu in the early evening, and I ordered away, and along it came, even had Sushi twice, he arranged especially for me. I was spoilt!

Aside from the last 2 days, the weather was super...lots of beautiful sunshine. Only got off the ship in Labadee and Cozumel. The other ports I had the pleasure of lying on the double beds by the pool... so comfortable and a treat as they are usually "reserved"...lol good to take advantage of the cruisers leaving to go on tours etc...

I saw a couple of shows, and really enjoyed the "Silent Disco" in the Martini bar area. Went to Michaels club once...sat for a bit but maybe it was just that night, it didn't have a very inviting or friendly atmosphere, so didn't stay...

Only frustration this cruise, was I had torn my rotator cuff (shoulder) a few weeks prior so limited raising my right arm without extreme pain, so couldnt do as much dancing etc that I enjoy... and had to watch when crowded incase someone knocked into me.... yeouch!!

Overall the choices of food in the Oceanview were good, Eggs Benedict station excellent, and English bacon! Awesome. For lunch, if you like garlic infused items you would be very happy. Not my fave at all but I always found something. Salads fresh, love the bread, and carved meats always good. Roast beef, roast lamb.... yummy!

It was a relaxing week, I did most what I wanted. Can't say enough about my Butler, cabin attendant, and other staff/crew. The last day at sea was a bit off as didn't feel the best...very rough seas, so stayed on my balcony. Missed saying goodbye to some peeps, but they may also have been cabin bound that day too....lol

To summarize, As always, on Celebrity, Great crew, friendly, and great customer service, butler and attendant made you feel special and cared for.....really added to the overall experience.

In another 7weeks I will be cruising again, am a lucky girlie that's for sure, although this time I will have my Mother over from U.K...can't wait!

Thank you for the review. We will be boarding the Equinox this Friday for the 4th time. This time we are bringing friends who have never sailed Celebrity before but decided to join us after we had a less than stellar cruise last year on the Royal Princess. Hoping they will enjoy the Equinox and Celebrity as much as we do.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Glad to hear you enjoyed your cruise....sad to hear you dined alone....disturbed to hear Luminae food and service was not stellar. Thanks for the review.....will be enjoying your aft corner suite in March.

Am sure you will have a good experience...I dont like garlic so my choices were a little more limited, but that was ok... I don't starve! lol otherwise the staff at Luminae tho super busy were extremely nice and friendly and really wanted to do a great job...think they were just short staffed, or maybe the new "norm" felt bad for them.

Great review. We have always had a great cruise on Equinox, and we've been in those corner aft S1s a lot. Make a note, however: steamers are not allowed on Celebrity.

Oh? Taken it with me on other cruises, maybe just a fluke..... no one said a word, but certainly don't want to break any rules either...thought it was just irons..... thanks

Am sure you will have a good experience...I dont like garlic so my choices were a little more limited, but that was ok... I don't starve! lol otherwise the staff at Luminae tho super busy were extremely nice and friendly and really wanted to do a great job...think they were just short staffed, or maybe the new "norm" felt bad for them.

Was Luminae crowded? Not very crowded at all on our last cruise and there was sufficient staff. Also, was there one waitperson you would say who was stellar? I would ask for them. Thanks for the feedback.

Glad your cruise was nice and thanks for the heads up on the Renaissance. We were eying the Boatyard for dinner so it looks like a good choice.

Boatyard is very nice for both lunch and dinner.....

Do hope all the construction next door will be complete before you go or at least you have a room with a better view! Lol

Location is good tho and walking distance to shopping, publix, several restaurants, so that's a huge positive!

Was Luminae crowded? Not very crowded at all on our last cruise and there was sufficient staff. Also, was there one waitperson you would say who was stellar? I would ask for them. Thanks for the feedback.

It really wasn't overly busy at all most nights but sometimes only saw the one server, poor guy... sorry can't remember his name. Whoever you get am sure they will be very good, they really want to please you.....

Enjoyed reading your review. Sorry that the rough sea's caused you discomfort.

Thank you... haha, it was ok, not complaining, it happens sometimes doesn't it...happy to have had 5 1/2 days of great weather! Still got a good suntan! Lol

We sailed in November and will be back on Equinox next week. We had Nino as our waiter and sure hope he is still there. He was excellent and a big reason we booked Equinox again.

I don't think you will be disappointed with any waiter in Luminae.

We sailed in November and will be back on Equinox next week. We had Nino as our waiter and sure hope he is still there. He was excellent and a big reason we booked Equinox again.

I don't think you will be disappointed with any waiter in Luminae.

Thank you for your input. I shall surely use it. I had Jose on Silhouette.....a real pro, but the crew does tend to move around, so for any Sil guests, I also hope he is still there.

Thank you for your input. I shall surely use it. I had Jose on Silhouette.....a real pro, but the crew does tend to move around, so for any Sil guests, I also hope he is still there.

Was he from Honduras? He had been our favorite waiter in Blu on Reflection for a 3 or 4 cruises. When we were in Luminae in Silhouette last Feb one of the assistant waiters recognized us from Blu on Reflection. I asked about Jose and he had actually joined Silhouette the day we embarked and was in the MDR and came to see us. He was waiting for an opening in Blu but he would be and excellent Luminae waiter. But I know Jose is a pretty common name.

Was he from Honduras? He had been our favorite waiter in Blu on Reflection for a 3 or 4 cruises. When we were in Luminae in Silhouette last Feb one of the assistant waiters recognized us from Blu on Reflection. I asked about Jose and he had actually joined Silhouette the day we embarked and was in the MDR and came to see us. He was waiting for an opening in Blu but he would be and excellent Luminae waiter. But I know Jose is a pretty common name.

Jose Luis Villegas from Lima, Peru. He was truly a pro and even more, he became a friend.

Can you tell me more about your experience in Luminae? I'm also disturbed to hear about your lack of enthusiasm regarding the food. I have booked our first suite next April, and part of the reason in doing so was dining in Luminae!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Can you tell me more about your experience in Luminae? I'm also disturbed to hear about your lack of enthusiasm regarding the food. I have booked our first suite next April, and part of the reason in doing so was dining in Luminae!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you like, I can tell you about our experiences in Luminae dating back to June 2015 on the Silhouette. It was the finest cruise dining experience we have ever had with the possible exception of earlier Crystal Cruise Line experiences. The service and teamwork was impeccable. The food was generally well prepared and beautifully presented. I thought the desserts were always something to look forward to. In fact, the most fantastic dessert I have ever eaten was in Luminae. I can only describe it as a flaming chocolate bomb with creme brulee and ice cream within. OMG. The Mrs. And I had to split that one. There is a picture of it floating around somewhere on CC. I was also allowed to special order a filet mignon with Bernaise sauce with notice from the day before. We certainly got more than great food and service out of this experience, we also got long term friendships. I still communicate to this day with three of the staff, in fact only last night I spoke to my waiter, Jose and the amazing Maitre'd Salvatorina Fresi, lovingly called momma by her adoring staff. Momma always saw to it that we got our window seat. She certainly knew how to run that dining room! In summation,I can only say this was for us more an experience, it was a beautiful and priceless memory.

In regard to recent concerns, it is true the menu is somewhat limited but you can always order from the MDR menu in Luminae or you can try your luck in Blu which we have found to be good too. Where I am concerned is the mention of slow service in Luminae due to an inadequate number of servers. I can see this happening with today's Celebrity and the cutbacks we all keep hearing about. I do have a possible solution to the slow service issue. If you dine at 6pm when they open, it is seldom crowded and you will certainly get the service you desire, and a coveted window seat if you ask. May your experiences in Luminae become wonderful memories.