Lack of All Inclusive Drinks Package on P&O

ocean42

Does anyone else think this is a mistake. Most if not all other cruise lines seem to do it.

Have had on previous 3 Princess cruises and loved the freedom.

Thoughts!

As a moderate drinker I hope that P&O resist going down the all inclusive drinks package.

Celebrity drink prices used to compare very favourably with P&O 2/3 years ago and when the pound was about $1.50-1.60 to the dollar. Since they started with drinks packages their drink prices have increased by well over 50% which I surmise is to encourage everyone to buy a package.

The result is much more expensive for those who don't have one, and don't think it would be value for money.

Many would say that drinks packages encourage excessive consumption and drunkenness. For the cruise line the important point is would having such a package increase the average onboard spend and therefore profits.

For myself I would not bother buying such a package as my alcohol consumption is going down as I age :eek:

I do take advantage of such packages when they are offered 'free' as an early booking incentive.

My other cruise line is introducing all inclusive packages as standard in the fare which some people don't like as they don't drink

Does anyone else think this is a mistake. Most if not all other cruise lines seem to do it.

Thoughts!

No this should not change.

Some problems on other lines where service gets worse as more people have the package.

P&O should leave well alone.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thoughts!

As previously mentioned cruise lines that have all inclusive drinks packages also have ridiculously high drinks prices. (and getting higher)

I have a cruise booked with RCI in June with all inclusive drinks included. I wouldn't book with them without it as their drinks are too expensive. eg £5 for a bottle of beer or £9 for a half decent glass of wine.

I am going on my first p&O cruise in March so it will be interesting to see how much I spend on Alcoholic Drinks and Coffees etc.

Hi,Princess are cheaper than PO because they serve almost a double measure compared to PO single,cheers,Brian.

Not if you drink wine or beer.

I like getting out on the balcony and having a drink that I brought on-board .

To P&O' S credit you do not have to smuggle it on-board either,

unlike some other cruise line's that see it as contraband.

We go out to the bars and buy a few drinks and end the night on the balcony with a nice Southern Comfort

we would have brought with us or even bought a bottle from room service.

So in our case we think P&O are doing ok without an AI drinks package and

think there are enough cruise company's who offer AI if that's what you would want .

Edited by kalos

I like things how they are, the prices are reasonable and you can take a bottle onboard. I've seen people trying to get 'value for money' out of drinks packages and I personally don't like the onboard culture I think it creates.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There's an old saying..."there is no such thing as a free lunch" and the cruise lines who offer packgaes are making money on the drinks.

I looked at the drinks packages on Celebrity just out of curiosity a few months ago....I class myself as a moderate drinker on holiday...and quite frankly I could not drink as much as I would need to to get value out of a package , due to some of the restrictions that apply. And like others, i would be concerned about the drinking culture it would encourage....many passengers seem to get through a fair bit as it is..certainly more than I do.. and to make it AI would make it worse.

So...no P &O , dont! Please. Leave well alone.

Not if you drink wine or beer.

I could have sworn you were doing an all-inclusive on Princess any time soon Dai! Was that a contributing factor to you booking it, methinks its been mentioned :eek:

People look at the all inclusive and all they think of is booze. Its far more than that, speciality coffees, mocktails, coke, lemonade, juices, it all adds up.

P&O must be thinking about it as every questionnaire I have had from them in the last couple of years asks if all-inclusive would be an option so you know how much you have to budget.

The AI drinks model like that on Celebrity is definitely not the way to go, P&O overall cheaper prices with an extensive wine list at sensible prices is by far the better model.

Celebrity Classic drinks continues to be eroded, now very few red or white wines are below the $9 limit encouraging people to upgrade costing a further $12 per day extra. Even if you upgrade they set the limit to $13 and all decent wines are set above costing you even more.

I could have sworn you were doing an all-inclusive on Princess any time soon Dai! Was that a contributing factor to you booking it, methinks its been mentioned :eek:

People look at the all inclusive and all they think of is booze. Its far more than that, speciality coffees, mocktails, coke, lemonade, juices, it all adds up.

P&O must be thinking about it as every questionnaire I have had from them in the last couple of years asks if all-inclusive would be an option so you know how much you have to budget.

Ah well now there is a thing. It was certainly an added bonus as it was for free. But now it has gone and we have changed the booking and saved far more than the value of the package.

Still do not like the concept.

I assume they ask the same questions to track trends and when the balance of opinion changes then they make a change.

If they are going to make a change it would probably coincide with changes to the loyalty scheme after the world cruises. Maybe it will be free in certain circumstances, likewise maybe they will follow suit with Princess mini-bar set up benefit in suites.

Only time will tell...

Edited by Florry

Ah well now there is a thing. It was certainly an added bonus as it was for free. But now it has gone and we have changed the booking and saved far more than the value of the package.

Still do not like the concept.

Am I to understand that you have taken advantage of Princess's wonderful price matching policy then Dai.

Am I to understand that you have taken advantage of Princess's wonderful price matching policy then Dai.

Did mot work like that it was more like cancel and rebook which I have done with P&O.

I have to say their prices had dropped like a stone. Over 40% less. Even taking off the drinks we have lost we are ££££'s sorry $$$$$'s up. Pay for our drinks bill on Azura in the autumn. And the drinks bill on Crown as well.

I'm on holiday, I like to have a good drink on holiday, so give me the option to buy a drinks package please.

Not if it leads to the exorbitantly high drink prices for non drinks package passengers; and this will probably lead to a cheaper drinks bill for even the heavy drinkers

Edited by terrierjohn

Can you still order a bottle of spirits from room service? We used to be able to buy a bottle of Bombay and the tonics to go with it for cabin drinks.

When we were on Aurora last year they were rolling out a pay for mini bar set up in your fridge in the cabin.

We were told this was being rolled out fleet wide.

I was reading dishcloth post that suggested this was still in place.

You could still take your own drink on board for in cabin consumption, so most people seem to be asking the steward to empty out the fridge so they could get their stuff in.

So no I do not think you can still buy ltr bottles via the room steward,

Personally a shot in the foot I fear, as people will stock up at the 1st port of call.

Staying within the thread no I don't think AI is the way to go. There is only so much liquid I can drink as I get older. At the moment we sometimes have 2 pre dinner drinks..in which case we would be drinking 4 measures..which I would not like..so I would go down to 1 drink..so would not get my monies worth from a drinks package.

I would much rather pay for what I drink ,rather than subsidise those who to get their monies worth feel they have to drink all day (I do read the American boards sometimes which highlights the problems that causes)

Did mot work like that it was more like cancel and rebook which I have done with P&O.

I have to say their prices had dropped like a stone. Over 40% less. Even taking off the drinks we have lost we are ££££'s sorry $$$$$'s up. Pay for our drinks bill on Azura in the autumn. And the drinks bill on Crown as well.

That was also the level of savings that we achieved on our 2014 cruise, makes you wonder why Princess prices start so high, especially when they agree so readily to price matching.

Can you still order a bottle of spirits from room service? We used to be able to buy a bottle of Bombay and the tonics to go with it for cabin drinks.

Duff information above ;).

You certainly can buy bottles of spirits for the cabin via room service Gordens Gin £20.00 per ltr.

Correct as of Jan 2nd 2017.

Cos I asked on Oceana.

Dai

When we were on Aurora last year they were rolling out a pay for mini bar set up in your fridge in the cabin.

We were told this was being rolled out fleet wide.

I was reading dishcloth post that suggested this was still in place.

You could still take your own drink on board for in cabin consumption, so most people seem to be asking the steward to empty out the fridge so they could get their stuff in.

So no I do not think you can still buy ltr bottles via the room steward,

Personally a shot in the foot I fear, as people will stock up at the 1st port of call.

Staying within the thread no I don't think AI is the way to go. There is only so much liquid I can drink as I get older. At the moment we sometimes have 2 pre dinner drinks..in which case we would be drinking 4 measures..which I would not like..so I would go down to 1 drink..so would not get my monies worth from a drinks package.

I would much rather pay for what I drink ,rather than subsidise those who to get their monies worth feel they have to drink all day (I do read the American boards sometimes which highlights the problems that causes)

See my post above. As they say Yes you can. . :)

Edited by daiB

Yes you can :)

Duff information above ;).

You certainly can buy bottles of spirits for the cabin via room service Gordens Gin £20.00 per ltr.

Correct as of Jan 2nd 2017.

Cos I asked on Oceana.

Dai

Spot on :)

Just done an update Dai by phoning P&O up ,so now correct as 20th JAN 2017.:)

I spoke to a lady called DEE who kindly checked with the powers that be, who explained that the menu you see is an abridged/short bar menu

and I can still buy my Southern comfort and a dozen coke as I did last time.

So same as last time I will ask the room steward to remove their drinks from the fridge and fill it with our room service purchases or anything we buy in port.

ROOM MENU:)

Edited by kalos