Luggage Inspections

BaBa2

First let me say that this is a wonderful forum with a group of wonderful people! 98% answer with very helpful tips. So let me ask this of you seasoned cruisers. This will be my 2nd cruise and 1st time on RCL. Do they search all luggage before bringing to your room? The reason I ask is, I like to lock mine with TSA approved locks and came home last time minus one. I lock it due to my camera, daily medicines and just general. I guess I've seen to much reality tv showing baggage handlers stealing items from luggage. I would rather leave unlocked if they are going to cut them off. Thanks again for all your responses!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

no search, x-rayed. one of our bags didnt show up, we were directed to deck 2 where there where alot of other bags. Ours was tagged with tape

'sissors' . We had to unlock our bag to show them the pair. Then we were on our way.

We always lock our luggage when we head to the ship, alot of different peps are handling your stuff.

Bev

Sent from my SM-T900 using Forums mobile app

Just adding to comments above, never pack Rx or expensive items i.e. Ipad , iphone , camera. Carry them in a bag. I do this on all flights and even though I have TSA Pre Check, the xray my bag. Have all that stuff with you when you board the ship. You can go to your cabin and lock them up in a safe and wander the ship and relax. Missing ir damaged luggage I dont care. I can buys duds on ship or shore. They can be replaced but nit Rx's etc.

Enjoy your cruise!

If ship's security wants to see the contents of your bag, you'll be called down to the "naughty room" to open it yourself.

As everyone else has pointed out, medication, cameras and all other valuables should be in your carry-on and always in your direct possession.

Always lock your bags...and you don't need a TSA lock! Any good lock will do. If they need to see something, they can call you to open the bag.

The bags are scanned, but not searched.

NEVER, EVER pack anything valuable in a suitcase that is checked...EVER! Always keep your valuables WITH YOU!

I travel a lot and never lock my luggage. Anything of value (small electronics, jewelry, meds) are all in my carry on. In addition to possible theft, luggage can and does occasionally go astray. If it's valuable or very important to me, it doesn't leave my hands.

First let me say that this is a wonderful forum with a group of wonderful people! 98% answer with very helpful tips. So let me ask this of you seasoned cruisers. This will be my 2nd cruise and 1st time on RCL. Do they search all luggage before bringing to your room? The reason I ask is, I like to lock mine with TSA approved locks and came home last time minus one. I lock it due to my camera, daily medicines and just general. I guess I've seen to much reality tv showing baggage handlers stealing items from luggage. I would rather leave unlocked if they are going to cut them off. Thanks again for all your responses!

to pack meds and valuables in your checked luggage.Always pack meds and valuables in a carryon, common sense....K.O.:o

If your luggage has a zipper as most do these days, you might as well seal it with a piece of gum as a lock. A quick look at U Tube shows how fast someone can open a locked bag that has a zipper....and just as fast, relock it. All they use is a ball point pen tip.

Doug

Watched an entire luggage cart go over the side of the pier into the water, so never ever pack something necessary or expensive in you checked luggage.

Also, did an Alaska cruise with friends whose luggage didn't show up on time. They didn't get it until the second day at the next port stop.

I would never put RX's in my check luggage.

I use to put the locks on mine and even have luggage with integrated TSA approved locks. After the second time they showed up in the cabin unlocked, I gave up locking them.

A couple of years ago, we traveled with several other couples, so there was a plethora of bags, totes, etc., off-loaded from our shuttle, and my laptop case was mistakenly put with the bags we were handing off to the porters. The porter picked up the laptop case, handed it back, and sternly told me NEVER to check any electronics.

I make it a practice to listen to the experts.

If your luggage has a zipper as most do these days, you might as well seal it with a piece of gum as a lock. A quick look at U Tube shows how fast someone can open a locked bag that has a zipper....and just as fast, relock it. All they use is a ball point pen tip.

Doug

Totally agree. Locks are for honest people.

Raina

Thanks for all the info and advice! I do keep the "prescription" meds in carryon, just keep aspirin, antacids, etc. in checked. I thought you couldn't take camera SD cards through the X-ray at airport. Guess I need to read the guidelines with TSA as I am not an airplane fan! Thanks and happy cruising!

Thanks for all the info and advice! I do keep the "prescription" meds in carryon, just keep aspirin, antacids, etc. in checked. I thought you couldn't take camera SD cards through the X-ray at airport. Guess I need to read the guidelines with TSA as I am not an airplane fan! Thanks and happy cruising!

Airport x-rays have no effect on your SD cards, so do yourself a favour and keep your camera equipment with you. If you still want to put the cards in a checked bag, at least keep your camera and equipment with you. BTW, checked bags are x-rayed as well, so you gain nothing by keeping SD cards there.

Airport x-rays have no effect on your SD cards, so do yourself a favour and keep your camera equipment with you. If you still want to put the cards in a checked bag, at least keep your camera and equipment with you. BTW, checked bags are x-rayed as well, so you gain nothing by keeping SD cards there.

Yep. A quick google will set your mind at ease OP.

And as fouremco just said, they put checked bags through X-ray machines as well so you weren't avoiding anything by checking them.

I don't lock my bags. DH likes to use zip ties. Just put a pair of fingernail clippers in your carryon (or an outside pocket of the checked bag if nervous) to open it at the destination.

But like someone else said, locks only keep out the honest people.

I agree with those who said to take electronics, medications, cameras, jewelry in your carry on.

I put a TSA lock on my suitcases before we leave for the airport. The airlines can open them and they put a notice in your suitcase that they did.

I know anyone who really wants to get into my suitcase can, but I think the lock makes it a little harder and maybe they will select one that is easier.