Are everybody Black card members?

joern

I think the majority of cruisers on this thread know how to price a cruise. After all, we're all in the Black card bracket. :)

Re the $10 items, many years ago Marks & Spencer realised the British people were not completely stupid an rounded up all their prices to get rid of those x.99p prices. Nobody batted an eyelid and didn't drive for miles to save a penny. Can't speak for other nationalities.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

Like every cruise line, they sell cruises at a big discount from brochure prices (not sure we have ever met anyone that paid the brochure price for a cruise). Now they offer a 5% discount to nearly anyone who breathes. The reality is that a discount offered to all...in not a discount...but rather the real price.

We have probably never met so maybe you are correct that you have never met anyone that paid the brochure price for a cruise.

I can tell you that we have paid brochure price for all our 7 cruises. Without the 5% discount we should pay brochure price again so it really is a discount.

If I book in Sweden brochure price is what I have to pay.

Somehow, this family has managed to found MSC Shipping in 1970, and make it the second largest shipping company in the world, by 2017.

So what are the possibilities for their growth in the cruise industry?

How many years until they overtake Royal Caribbean as the World's #2 line?

I have to assume that the odds are next to none, if they can't expand, or don't have the customer base to do so. MSC has achieved millions of dollars of advertising exposure by the implementation of their loyalty match program. MSC did not get where they are by accident. I believe their strategy involves moving from the 4th largest cruise line to the 3rd largest (or higher) - their expansion puts them in an ideal position to do so. Their timing is ideal!

Hi I have a question, Can I sign up for a loyalty match even though I do not have a MSC cruise booked yet? We are still not sure which one we want to book. Thank you, We are platinum with Carnival would that be an equivalent to Gold on MSC?

Hi I have a question, Can I sign up for a loyalty match even though I do not have a MSC cruise booked yet? We are still not sure which one we want to book. Thank you, We are platinum with Carnival would that be an equivalent to Gold on MSC?

Not sure what platinum equates to so best to ring them. But you can certainly sign up before your first cruise.

I have to assume that the odds are next to none, if they can't expand, or don't have the customer base to do so. MSC has achieved millions of dollars of advertising exposure by the implementation of their loyalty match program. MSC did not get where they are by accident. I believe their strategy involves moving from the 4th largest cruise line to the 3rd largest (or higher) - their expansion puts them in an ideal position to do so. Their timing is ideal!

Good point. With the other cruise lines raising prices and cutting product/services, if MSC is aggressive, they can certainly move up in the U.S. market. They just need the ships to do so. But, you're right. The industry is ripe for a disruption right now.

As of now I don't think Carnival has a "match" program with the sister lines. They are talking about changes to loyalty - but I haven't seen anything yet. Check with them to be sure.

As of now I don't think Carnival has a "match" program with the sister lines. They are talking about changes to loyalty - but I haven't seen anything yet. Check with them to be sure.

I don't think it matters..... all you need to do is show MSC proof of your status level. We just did a screenshot of our RCI loyalty status.

All new clients in possession of a loyalty card from other leading travel reward programmes* will be able to join the MSC Voyagers Club at a similar or higher level than their current status**. They will also a receive a 5% discount on any booking.

Yes

these are the Carnival matches I recorded being posted on this forum

Carnival:-

Gold goes to MSC Silver

Platinum goes to MSC Gold

Diamond goes to MSC Black

Pete

I will add the following ...

If you will be sailing on Carnival prior to sailing on MSC, and hence, your Carnival status would increase to the next level (beyond your current "platinum"), it would make sense to wait to apply for MSC Loyalty Match until your Carnival loyalty has increased. Doing so may result in being matched to a higher MSC Voyager Club level.

What makes you believe/worry that the percentage will grow to that level? MSC's marketing strategy isn't limited to poaching high-level members from other cruise lines via Status Match. Like all mainstream cruise lines, their main target needs to be first-time cruisers.

When 80 or 90 percent of MSC cruisers are black, can you immagine the "priority boarding" line for check-in? If that happens the non-blacks might find themselves aboard way ahead of us!

I was on the Divina for a Southern Caribbean cruise in December '16. There were more Black Card members on that cruise, as compared to May '17 (Western). MSC provided more Black Card check-in agents for December, as compared to May. I imagine they would tweak the number of agents depending on the respective number of passengers (Black Card or otherwise).

I was on a Divina cruise in 2016 and was told (no proof it was correct) that there were only 29 Black Card passengers aboard. At the Black Card party only 6 people showed up.

Consider that with the MSC Loyalty Match program, just about anyone who has done a lot of cruising on any line, or even has decent status with a hotel chain, can easily get a Black Card. We are a good example, Although we have yet to cruise on MSC, we already have a Black Card (by virtue of our status on several other lines).

Hank

I was on a Divina cruise in 2016 and was told (no proof it was correct) that there were only 29 Black Card passengers aboard. At the Black Card party only 6 people showed up.

Those of us who've attended a few of these events know from experience that they're not always worth turning up to - especially when there are better places to be! Often one's own cabin enjoying a g&t on the balcony, for example! :rolleyes: