Are everybody Black card members?

joern

We booked with MSC because there was a really good deal on a Splendida sailing. Only then did we learn about status match, and our Diamond Plus status on RCI gave us a Black card. That was in September, and we've already booked our next MSC cruise as we loved it that much. Other lines need to take a leaf out of MSC's book and price their cruises a little more fairly - if they can do it why not others? That also applies to additional items like drinks packages and internet. I did an NCL cruise recently and nearly choked at the price of their drinks package, and the internet was nearly 3 times what we pay on MSC. So, their marketing strategy works, hooking people in with the status match, but offering fair prices on everything. Once they have you, and you realise they offer a fab product, they will have you for good. They will be our first choice from now on, unless there is an amazing deal on another line. Black status is an addtional perk obviously, but we would have booked another even without that.

Other lines need to take a leaf out of MSC's book and price their cruises a little more fairly - if they can do it why not others? That also applies to additional items like drinks packages and internet. I did an NCL cruise recently and nearly choked at the price of their drinks package, and the internet was nearly 3 times what we pay on MSC.

One of the biggest reasons I have for staying with MSC. I paid a lot more to sail Celebrity with the expectation of it being a far superior offering - boy, was I wrong!! I'd love to try other lines, but the price difference makes my toes curl. Plus, I love the MSC onboard experience and the fact that Euro is the currency for the majority of their itineraries, so no currency exchange rate issues for me. I have 3 more booked for this year after exploring other lines' prices and similar offerings - there's just no getting away from the value MSC provides.

I paid a lot more to sail Celebrity with the expectation of it being a far superior offering - boy, was I wrong!! I'd love to try other lines, but the price difference makes my toes curl.

Our first cruise was with Celebrity and we still love it, but only at the right price. They, and RCI, used to have some really good deals, which is why we stuck with them for a while, then they started hiking the prices! We saw no reason to stay with them after we got to D+ as Pinnacle is way out of reach for us. We then started to spread our wings and realised there are great cruise lines out there at much better prices.

Be interesting to see if NCL's new tier levels will change how people are matched. I don't think Black really matches to Ambassador, but time will tell.

We matched to black with our NCL platinum status, but honestly I think we will always be booking YC so status almost doesn't matter. (ok the 5% off was nice and the chocolate ship was yummy).

I don't think Black really matches to Ambassador, but time will tell.

It's difficult to give like for like. Black on MSC, although quite good perks, still doesn't give you the free bar each evening that we get with RCI. But, as I said previously, the MSC packages are a good price, and we can have a drink anytime we like.

I understand why long time MSC cruisers who were already Black status were upset with the status match but I am struggling to understand why the OP, who is only on his second MSC cruise is so upset. He didn't lose anything.

Other people's status have no effect on him.

Lois

Have you requested/received the 5% discount you're now entitled to?

I did the mistake to book the cruise before I had a voyagers club number so I don't get the 5% discount. Of course I should prefer to get the discount but MSC are so much cheaper than NCL so I am still very happy about the price for the cruise.

I understand why long time MSC cruisers who were already Black status were upset with the status match but I am struggling to understand why the OP, who is only on his second MSC cruise is so upset. He didn't lose anything.

Other people's status have no effect on him.

Lois

You are absolutely right. I don't loose anything. The reason I started this thread is because I was wondering what long time MSC cruisers feel about the status match, because in my opinion it's not fair to them. I am, as mentioned only going on my second cruise, but we plan to do a lot more and will most likely stay loyal to MSC and work our way up the stairs until we some day get Black card status. In my opinion the status match is a mistake from MSC. I know it attracts new customers from other lines, but they may risk losing some of their long time loyal customers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You are absolutely right. I don't loose anything. The reason I started this thread is because I was wondering what long time MSC cruisers feel about the status match, because in my opinion it's not fair to them. I am, as mentioned only going on my second cruise, but we plan to do a lot more and will most likely stay loyal to MSC and work our way up the stairs until we some day get Black card status. In my opinion the status match is a mistake from MSC. I know it attracts new customers from other lines, but they may risk losing some of their long time loyal customers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Personally I don't think they will lose many, if any, customers.

Why would anyone leave a cruise line they love where they get perks, to start at the bottom of the ladder with another cruise line. Unless they want to shoot themselves in the foot. It's a win win for MSC. Money is money to MSC and whether it comes from a new black or an old black it won't matter to them.

Edited by Addict

Addict ... you may well have not been on the MSC boards long and likely do not know that until MSC decided to go all out to get more of the USA market that there were many many more people here from the UK alone who were long time MSC cruisers.

Those people had a wealth of experience and information and have now gone elsewhere since MSC decided to Cut their benefits of being a Black card holder, some have left since Giles Hawke now gone from MSC UK decided to put the boot into single cruisers and not allow them to sail unless they paid double fares.

MSC have alienated many loyal cruisers with their stuff them attitude we want the money ideas, yes they are a business and have to make money to survive but there are ways of doing it without driving away those peope who have helped make you what you are.

Addict ... you may well have not been on the MSC boards long and likely do not know that until MSC decided to go all out to get more of the USA market that there were many many more people here from the UK alone who were long time MSC cruisers.

Those people had a wealth of experience and information and have now gone elsewhere since MSC decided to Cut their benefits of being a Black card holder, some have left since Giles Hawke now gone from MSC UK decided to put the boot into single cruisers and not allow them to sail unless they paid double fares.

MSC have alienated many loyal cruisers with their stuff them attitude we want the money ideas, yes they are a business and have to make money to survive but there are ways of doing it without driving away those peope who have helped make you what you are.

So MSC are doing no different to any other cruise line. They are in business to make money, and they will do what it takes. RCI are the same - they have downgraded or removed benefits over the years. I remember when all the Diamond level cruisers were denied access to the concierge lounge to make way for the new Diamond Plus. Uproar. As for solo cruisers, I have sailed solo. Have a look at what other lines are charging. Double in most cases, so that's no different either. And who's to say that the downgrading of perks on MSC would or wouldn't have happened anyway, regardless of the status match programme. At the end of the day, you're buying a cruise, and everyone is free to put their money with any cruise line. We get the best benefits on RCI but choose to continue sailing MSC where and when we can. Any extras we get are a bonus, nothing else.

Think about this honestly. If RCI said to you, come and try us and we will give you Pinnacle status, what would you do?

Edited by Addict

We don't book cruises because of perks and status, we book for the destinations tbh. We have gained a high status with Princess due to 5 cruises with P & O but not cruised with Princess for 6 years. We aren't looking for extras/benefits....enjoy your cruises guys

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Forums mobile app

Think about this honestly. If RCI said to you, come and try us and we will give you Pinnacle status, what would you do?

Personally I doubt we would do it mainly because RCI have increased prices quite a lot over the last few years, Not sure what level we are with RCI though I think it might be platinum.

What would be interesting is to see just how many of those with status match actually continue with MSC when they do eventually Increase their prices in North America to that of Europe!

I did the mistake to book the cruise before I had a voyagers club number so I don't get the 5% discount. Of course I should prefer to get the discount but MSC are so much cheaper than NCL so I am still very happy about the price for the cruise.

You can still get the 5% discount. Just call them(or have your travel agent call) and have them apply the discount. We did.

I totally agree with you graphicguy. We just got off the Divina yesterday. We were Black Status matched and like you, it was because of this perk that we decided to give MSC a try......glad we did and we will return!!

I'm one of those who benefited from status match to black. Here's the deal....I never would have tried MSC if it wasn't for the Black Status match.

So, given there seems to be quite a fw who took advantage of the status match (probably not nearly as many as is being protrayed given the limited sample size here), we helped keep the prices more reasonable by expanding MSC's customer base.

I view it as a "win-win" for everyone as a result.

It's a bit of a win-win for me.

Platinum with Carnival who's loyalty perks are fairly ho-hum. I booked my MSC cruise because the itinerary is truly amazing (embarking and debarking in Martinique alone is worth it) with ports like Guadeloupe, Tortola, and Antigua. After being sold on the itinerary, the status-match was really just an added bonus! Luckily for MSC, I'm tiring of the typical Carnival experience and hope I'll have a breath of fresh air on Poesia. Hopefully they continue with impressive itineraries (outside of Miami).

Personally I doubt we would do it mainly because RCI have increased prices quite a lot over the last few years, Not sure what level we are with RCI though I think it might be platinum.

What would be interesting is to see just how many of those with status match actually continue with MSC when they do eventually Increase their prices in North America to that of Europe!

Not interested in RCI...well only Azamara tbh

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Forums mobile app

I totally agree with you graphicguy. We just got off the Divina yesterday. We were Black Status matched and like you, it was because of this perk that we decided to give MSC a try......glad we did and we will return!!

Thanks....don't quite get the hand wringing over this. If you want to sail some other line because of the status match issue, it's your money. Sail whomever you want.

MSC could have changed discounts with or without status match.

MSC got me to look at them because of status match. IF it weren't for that, I would have done another, NCL, or RCL, or Celebrity, or Carnival cruise. Smartly, MCS got my attention and now I've booked my 2nd cruise with them.

It worked well for them. It worked out well for me. I think anyone they lost because of this, they more than made up for it with more new customers like me and others.

In my case the status match got me to try the Divina for New Years cruise, and booked the Seaside/YC for upcoming Jan.18. I was wanting to try MSC anyway, the black card just helped push it along.

There are some fare types that are ineligible for the 5%, even if you ask over and over again.

Do you know which fares are ineligible? It would be good to know in advance for planning purposes.

We were able to get free gratuities(a promotion that was on for short time) and the discount.