Are everybody Black card members?

joern

I agree with you that Celebrity Select should not match to MSC Black, but I think (hope) that is an isolated case. How many cruises does it take most people to reach 10000 points? In our case, we needed 10 cruises to get to Platinum on NCL. I think if we had taken those 10 cruises on MSC we would have reached Black, too.

I agree with you that Celebrity Select should not match to MSC Black, but I think (hope) that is an isolated case. How many cruises does it take most people to reach 10000 points? In our case, we needed 10 cruises to get to Platinum on NCL. I think if we had taken those 10 cruises on MSC we would have reached Black, too.
My Celebrity Select status was matched to Gold and I was happy with that. I know of only one person who was matched to Black and I think that they just got lucky with an error on somebody's part.

Bea ...The one reason I refused to jump and book advance cruises when they decided to withdraw the benefits, there was no point in rushing to get Black card status even though I have only been one cruise away from getting it.

Why give them advance money when they were shafting people who had remained loyal to them, in your case and Pete I could understand you guys booking because you still got the 20% for advance bookings before you were also stitched up.

After our September cruise I go beyond the points needed for Black but it no longer means anything other than just reaching Black, the benefits watered down so much that I personally no longer care what they are other than maybe Priority boarding. As for a chocolate ship what an insult.

You don't just get a chocolate ship! There is a whole raft of very nice perks including free speciality meals, free fizz, free dance lesson, free hour in spa, keeping your room until its time to leave for the airport which is great if you have a late flight, etc. etc. Seems like you are 'cutting off your nose to spite your face' if you were only one cruise away from Black status - you obviously like the MSC product 🤔

We are not blindly loyal to any one cruiseline - we cruise for itinerary and price and if MSC want to match our highest cruise status, then I am very grateful to them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We can get a massage with Aurea as we will in December on Seaside as well as priority embarkation, the meals have been downgraded, the Champagne replaced by spumante or something similar, priority tendering is one of the few items still available.

A one hour dance lesson whoopee, hardly cutting off my nose to spite my face for!

We can get a massage with Aurea as we will in December on Seaside as well as priority embarkation, the meals have been downgraded, the Champagne replaced by spumante or something similar, priority tendering is one of the few items still available.

A one hour dance lesson whoopee, hardly cutting off my nose to spite my face for!

There has never been any cruiseline that will give you a decent 'champagne' that is actually drinkable, even Cunard with their Pol Acker 😂. We mix the fizz with OJ and have Bucks Fizz 😀

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm a Black card member since 2011 and it took me five cruises to get there. Everything was great until last year when most all of the Black privileges were removed and the status match program began. Hopefully MSC will finally institute the new category beyond Black which might give the old timers with many thousand points a few more benefits.

I agree. The match program has diminished the experience for the previous loyal members from MSC. Now everybody seems to be black member and the current benefits are very modest.

I seem to recall dance lessons taking place every night for everyone.

Black card holders get a private, one hour lesson. We attended one on one of our cruises. There was only one other couple there. As DH has two left feet, it wasn't of much benefit to us, but the instructors were fantastic.

There has never been any cruiseline that will give you a decent 'champagne' that is actually drinkable, even Cunard with their Pol Acker 😂. We mix the fizz with OJ and have Bucks Fizz 😀

On the contrary, the one MSC provided to Black Card holders was very drinkable! I can't remember what it was, but we have been in receipt of Moet & Chandon a couple of times. Pete (Skier 52) might pitch in here. I can't say the same for the one available on the premium drinks package, however. Tim (1fifthavenue) - if he reads this, can name that particular one!

On the contrary, the one MSC provided to Black Card holders was very drinkable! I can't remember what it was, but we have been in receipt of Moet & Chandon a couple of times. Pete (Skier 52) might pitch in here. I can't say the same for the one available on the premium drinks package, however. Tim (1fifthavenue) - if he reads this, can name that particular one!

MSC certainly used to give MOET and SHANDON

P1010119.jpg

and P&O gave MUMM to the superior balcony suites

P1010601.jpg

Pete

This "theme" off diminishing perks for loyal cruisers seem to be across all the major cruise lines. I read the same thing over at the RCCL threads, too. Carnival never did a whole lot extra for loyal cruisers, so no loss there. NCL treated me well, but even there, the extras have been diminishing for a while for multi-cruise benefits.

So, while you may criticize MSC for allowing us to Black Card status match, they've snagged me for at least one more cruise, and probably more.

Personally, the status match was not what enticed us to try MSC -- it was an added benefit that we took advantage of, but it was actually the Yacht Club and its pricing that caused us to take the plunge from RCI/Celebrity and book on the MSC Seaside. Our Diamond status on RCI gave us Black Card, but IMHO (current) Black Card perks pale in comparison to RCI's Diamond perks. The YC should negate any "losses" but I agree with the OP and others who have been loyal to MSC that the introduction of the status match is grossly unfair to longtime MSC cruisers. Even status matching programs across cruise lines (e.g., RCI to X) does not allow matching to the highest levels (you can only match to Diamond or Elite, even if you're a Pinnacle, etc. on the reciprocal line.)

I hope that MSC does right by these loyal passengers and introduces a new tier above Black to compensate. I know that RCI eventually remedied the cocktail hour losses to Diamonds on RCI when they were no longer eligible to access Concierge Lounge with the introduction of a Diamond Hour and eventually a Diamond Lounge. Hopefully MSC does the same for "true" Black Card holders by giving you back the Champagne, 20% booking discounts, etc. in a new higher tier.

Either way, I hope everyone still enjoys their respective cruises no matter which line you choose to cruise!

For the benefit of the status match people

tHis what the real black card holders gave up in perks

1) 20% discount on any cruise; replaced by 5% for all members

2) A bottle of Moet and Chandon for each black card holder in a cabin; replaced by 1 bottle of prosecco per cabin

3) A sit down meal with the officers; replaced with a cocktail gathering

4) A meal in a speciality diner from the full menu 25% discount on drinks in the venue; replaced by a taster menu and no drink discount

5) 10% discount on excursions

6) other small discounts on a variety of spend items

what do we get in return a CHOCOLATE SHIP and queues in the priority boarding lanes.

still think its a win-win for all?

Expanding the customer base gives rise to price increases as more people are after the same number of berths. what will keep prices down is the increase in the size of the fleet ie more berths.

Pete

Well said. The black membership does not bring any thing special nowadays.

• 2 weeks later...
For the benefit of the status match people

tHis what the real black card holders gave up in perks

1) 20% discount on any cruise; replaced by 5% for all members

2) A bottle of Moet and Chandon for each black card holder in a cabin; replaced by 1 bottle of prosecco per cabin

3) A sit down meal with the officers; replaced with a cocktail gathering

4) A meal in a speciality diner from the full menu 25% discount on drinks in the venue; replaced by a taster menu and no drink discount

5) 10% discount on excursions

6) other small discounts on a variety of spend items

what do we get in return a CHOCOLATE SHIP and queues in the priority boarding lanes.

still think its a win-win for all?

Expanding the customer base gives rise to price increases as more people are after the same number of berths. what will keep prices down is the increase in the size of the fleet ie more berths.

Pete

Given the price point of MSC (and the aforementioned perks), I can't imagine the cruise line would have been able to expand as they are - without an influx of cash AND passengers. As others have said, I would not have tried MSC had it not been for their Loyalty Match. Since then, I have booked a total of four cruises on MSC. I have sailed on enough cruise lines to know that I am simply not interested in "trying" another cruise line if it means that I start out at entry level. I believe the idea was an ingenious method to acquire a plethora of new passengers and their cash.

Perhaps MSC could have implemented the Loyalty Match program while retaining a portion of original perks for pre-existing perks for Black Card members. If that were the case, would that have made a difference, or would the previous Black Card members still be upset that status was provided? Regardless, I can't see how MSC could have maintained their prices while offering those perks.

Grocery stores, automobile manufacturers and department stores all vie for the sames customers in their own market. In this instance, MSC is looking to steal loyal customers from other cruise lines ... touche!

Mediterranean Shipping Company, is the second largest cargo shipping company, in the world and thus has VERY deep pockets. I learned that they are run by a family (MSC founded in 1970) who has a maritime cargo history of 300 years. I think they must be in a good place!

Just seen this - Nicholas Feulliate is the champagne by the glass on the premium drinks package. On our recent cruise as we built up good relations with everyone they gave my partner Andy a bottle in the Transatlantico lounge, presented by an officer and some of the bar staff we got on well with. We then got back to the cabin and there was yet another bottle waiting for us! Couldn't believe it! And at that time we were mere gold card members

Mediterranean Shipping Company, is the second largest cargo shipping company, in the world and thus has VERY deep pockets.
Meaning what? That they should be more generous with passengers, because they can afford to run their cruise line at a loss?

I would not have tried MSC had it not been for their Loyalty Match. Since then, I have booked a total of four cruises on MSC. I have sailed on enough cruise lines to know that I am simply not interested in "trying" another cruise line if it means that I start out at entry level. I believe the idea was an ingenious method to acquire a plethora of new passengers and their cash.

Exactly! And only because we got the highest level. We have too many benefits on other lines to go in at entry level. We would never have tried MSC without the loyalty match but they have got the cost of 3 cruises out of us so far so their strategy is working very well.

Obviously the statusmatch is important for some people. For us it didn't matter since we decided to try something new because a week in the Yacht Club cost more than 3000 USD less than a week in the Haven.

We can't know if the statusmatch is good for business but it's up to MSC to decide about that.

Obviously the statusmatch is important for some people. For us it didn't matter since we decided to try something new because a week in the Yacht Club cost more than 3000 USD less than a week in the Haven.

We can't know if the statusmatch is good for business but it's up to MSC to decide about that.

Totally agree.

We were given Black Card status match three weeks ago.

Nice, but the reason we booked our first MSC cruise in the Yacht Club on the Seaside next May ( 2018 ) was the $ 3100 difference as compared to a Courtyard Penthouse in the Haven on the NCL Getaway during the same week.

With the reviews of the excellent service in the Yacht Club , we look forward to how it compares to our stays in the Haven on NCL.:cool:

Meaning what? That they should be more generous with passengers, because they can afford to run their cruise line at a loss?

Yes this is what I am saying:

1. A privately help company, with no outside shareholders, or others wanting short term profits.

2. MSC Shipping Company makes the $$$$, so a temporary loss in the cruise division, is no big deal.

3. A family with a 300 year shipping tradition, has a long term view.

4. They will spend what it takes, to become dominate.

5. Somehow, this family has managed to found MSC Shipping in 1970, and make it the second largest shipping company in the world, by 2017.

So what are the possibilities for their growth in the cruise industry?

How many years until they overtake Royal Caribbean as the World's #2 line?

Yes this is what I am saying:

1. A privately help company, with no outside shareholders, or others wanting short term profits.

2. MSC Shipping Company makes the $$$$, so a temporary loss in the cruise division, is no big deal.

3. A family with a 300 year shipping tradition, has a long term view.

4. They will spend what it takes, to become dominate.

5. Somehow, this family has managed to found MSC Shipping in 1970, and make it the second largest shipping company in the world, by 2017.

So what are the possibilities for their growth in the cruise industry?

How many years until they overtake Royal Caribbean as the World's #2 line?

This is not a new model in the cruise industry. For example, Ari Onassis once had financial interests in the cruise industry as did Kloster (a Norwegian shipping family) who started NCL. Costa was also a private cruise line company...at one time, which was a small part of an Italian shipping company.

I think the question for MSC is whether they will continue to own and operate their own cruise line...or look to eventually sell out their cruise interest to a large cruise line outfit such as CCL. We have watched MSC evolve from a small cruise line with older ships...to a rapidly growing modern cruise line with state of the art vessels that rival any of their competition. It is only in recent years that MSC has made a serious attempt to penetrate the US market...and we think their timing is near perfect. IMHO, MSC has the potential to rapidly make inroads in the US market. They are now being aided by many other US-based lines that seem to be hell bent on cutting back on quality....to make a quick gain in profits. If MSC can keep improving their quality...while many of their US based competitors are downgrading their quality...the cruisers will flock to MSC.

We have been avid cruisers (with a big interest in the industry) since the early 60s. In that time we have managed to cruise on 14 different lines and its all been good fun. One thing we have noticed about the cruise industry is that there is often a type of momentum which can result in rapid popularity and growth. Right now I get the feeling that MSC has developed some momentum in the US market.. It will be interesting to see if they continue to move more ships to the US market in the next few years.

Hank

We are always amazed at how many folks fall for basic marketing tactics. Consider that a widget that sells for $9.99 will always outsell a similar article selling for $10.00. Marketing research has shown that folks will even drive for miles to get that $9.99 bargain. Now consider MSC. Like every cruise line, they sell cruises at a big discount from brochure prices (not sure we have ever met anyone that paid the brochure price for a cruise). Now they offer a 5% discount to nearly anyone who breathes. The reality is that a discount offered to all...in not a discount...but rather the real price. We have seen folks here on CC....sing the praises of various cruise line "promotions" that are really price increases from the non-promotion price. Its the same on cruise ships. They have a "sale" of T-shirts and many cruisers run to get those shirts. Most do not notice that they are not the same merchandise sold in the shops at a much higher price....but rather lower quality items that are only sold at the "sale" price. But tell some folks that there is a "sale" and they will come :).

We shop around for a lot of cruises (cruised 103 days in 2016) and it has become overwhelming to deal with the various promotions and packages. But, it all becomes pretty clear when you simply take the "real" cruise price and divide by the number of cruise days to get a price per passenger day. When doing this exercise, you should price-out any amenity at their real value (to you) and not the value put on a package by the cruise line. For example, a drink package that is priced (by the cruise line) at $60 per passenger day is likely not worth near that amount for most cruisers. DW and I know (from over 1200 days on cruises) that our total drink bill will average between $30and $35 per passenger day. With a drink package we might drink a little more.....but that would still put the real value (to us) at no more then $45 a day. And that cost per day will drop on port intensive cruises. So we know that on a 30 day typical cruise we will likely have a total drink bill of about $1800 - $1900 (total for two). But some cruise lines will tell us that a drink package on that cruise is worth $3600! Not in my world :).

Once you get everyone down to the real cost per passenger day it becomes simple to compare various cruise options.

Hank