Norwegian Cruise Line will allow passengers to bid on cabin upgrades

bUU

Found this thread in the Carnival forum and felt it was equally relevant here.

NCL is beta testing a new program allowing customers to"bid" on getting a cabin upgrade.... What are everyone thoughts on whether this type of thing would be feasible or even enjoyed with [other cruise lines]?

http://www.travelandtourworld.com/news/article/passengers-on-norwegian-cruise-line-set-to-bid-on-cabin-upgrades/

I think this fits in with the general trends in consumer behaviors: It's better to get the other guy to give you their price first.

I think it's tacky and could backfire on the cruise line. Why would anyone ever book a suite if people think they could possibly get one a lot cheaper later? I'm also wondering whether people keep track of prices throughout time. I usually keep a spreadsheet of several different cruises, with different types of cabins for each, until we make a final decision to book.

I think it's tacky and could backfire on the cruise line. Why would anyone ever book a suite if people think they could possibly get one a lot cheaper later? I'm also wondering whether people keep track of prices throughout time. I usually keep a spreadsheet of several different cruises, with different types of cabins for each, until we make a final decision to book.

Largely because there is no guarantee that an upgrade will be offered, and less that a person would win the bid if one was offered.

I am glad that we don't book guarantees.

Wonder if this will cause more people to book the cabin they want so as not to gave to worry about "bidding" for something better?

I can see why people book a guarantee, but we never do. I'm always concerned that we may be placed under kitchen galley or showroom.....it would be difficult. We definitely book the cabin we are comfortable with.

If I cannot book a specific cabin, then I will go for a guarantee in the lowest cabin category that is acceptable for me. I need a window, and actually prefer the shower only cabins to those with tubs. I'm happier on lowest decks and far forward.

As a result, bidding for an upgrade doesn't appeal to me. Quite aside from my cabin preferences, I prefer to pay a set and stated price than have to figure out what something is worth to me. I don't need a balcony and while more space is nice, I don't feel the need to upgrade to something that has more drawbacks than plusses in my opinion. And the thought of bidding against someone else for those drawbacks is just crazy.

Obviously, this is not marketed toward me. But I'm sure it is a god thing for the people who book the lowest inside categories in the hopes of getting an "upgrade" to a balcony suite.

I think this fits in with the general trends in consumer behaviors: It's better to get the other guy to give you their price first.

Not surprised that NCL would do this, it goes very well with their overall persona.

The is no difference between cruise lines offering upsells and passengers bidding for them, with regard to the matters you mentioned. All that changes is which side opens the kimono.

I am glad that we don't book guarantees.

Wonder if this will cause more people to book the cabin they want so as not to gave to worry about "bidding" for something better?

It sure seems designed to reduce the advantage experienced cruise customers have in this regard, so that makes sense.

That sort of 'expectation, makes me shake my head for those of us who pay what we must when we book to gget the cabin category we want. Why would we continue to pay the 'going rate? if HAL were ro institute wsuch a prrogram? Unless the bid they expect gets to be very close to what th initial asking price is/waas.

Edited by sail7seas

That sort of 'expectation, makes me shake my head for those of us who pay what we must when we book to gget the cabin category we want. Why would we continue to pay the 'going rate? if HAL were ro institute wsuch a prrogram? Unless the bid they expect gets to be very close to what th initial asking price is/waas.

How does it differ from people who pay full price for what they want at a department store as opposed to those who wait for the same item to be offered on a site like Ebay? Either way someone is always paying more, but getting exactly what they want.

If what I want is offered by the cruise line at what I consider a fair price, I will book my cabin and stop watching prices. I have no need to bid for upgrades because I am happy with what I purchased. The same way when the pair of shoes I want is offered by the department store at what I consider a fair price, I buy them and stop looking. If you're happy with the purchase, why continue to price compare and/or look around?

It looks to me like the bidding is for paid upsells after final payment.

This could maximize profit because NCL knows how much they usually get for upsells and can ignore lower bids. The people who book suites will have probably already booked since this is after final payment. Prices often go down at that time so I see this as a moneymaker.

Maybe I don't understand something, but I feel that we already do this with HAL.

For this sailing, we booked a balcony guarantee. We would have been totally satisfied with a balcony, that's why we booked as such.

We put our name on the list for upgrades. We got a few offers for upgrade to Vista Suite, which we didn't see as a value, so we declined.

This week we got an offer for Vista Suite or Neptune Suite. We weren't happy with the price for Neptune, so we made an offer. Our PCC said they weren't accepting offers yet.

Yesterday, we got an offer for a Vista again, but still declined. We asked if there were Neptune available and they said 1 was available but they wouldn't accept our offer.

Less than 30 minutes later, our PCC called and asked if we were still interested in a Neptune. She said they are accepting offers now and she would try again for us. She came back with an offer for a Spa Neptune Suite at $100/pp less than our offer.

Like I said, maybe I'm not speaking the correct language, but I feel that HAL already does this.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That sort of 'expectation, makes me shake my head for those of us who pay what we must when we book to gget the cabin category we want.
I agree. I would prefer it if everything, except the product that feeds into my salary bonuses, had one set price, with no shenanigans whatsoever employed to maximize revenue from certain customers.

Numerous threads posted on the topic. Received offer to bid last month for February cruise and find it a very reasonable procedure. It would be nice to have bid accepted at level of bid but no major disappointment either. This allows the cruise line to maximize potential as when they upgrade me, they upgrade the next person bidding on my cabin, and so on down the line. No need to wait for someone else to "accept" an upgrade offer by phone then going down the line searching for the next person to accept an upgrade to that now empty cabin. Maximum bid amount is identified on the scale so no risk of bidding too much. Seems like it really streamlines the up sell process. As soon as everyone starts posting the price where their bid is actually accepted it will soon require everyone to place a Max bid to have a chance.