Any News on ship Passengers being detained?

Karysa

Allure of the Seas returned this AM and at least one person onboard who is a green card holder was detained for a few hours.

I just watched a local television news story about the gentleman from Iran who has lived here for seven years and was the individual in question who was detained. He is living here legally.

We are snowbirds who returned from a cruise ten days ago. We are staying here in the Fort Lauderdale area until March. Right now I am embarrassed and ashamed to be an American. And for what it is worth, I am a third generation American.

No....of the population old enough to vote, almost 55% voted. Still very low, though. Their system is a little weird to some of us in other countries....they have to register separately and they used to have to choose a party with which to register (even though they are not obligated to vote for the party with which they've registered).....I'm not sure if there are any states that still require a person to join a party to be eligible to vote.

I've never had to register a party affiliation to vote. In our state (Florida) you have to register a party affiliation to vote in the primaries, not in the general election. Prior to living in Florida, I lived in NJ and did not ever register a party affiliation.

People are nonetheless being denied entry, despite their legal status as residents. It's disgraceful.
I violates CC rules to make conversattions political. This quote certainly seems to have a political point to it. Edited by sail7seas

No....of the population old enough to vote, almost 55% voted. Still very low, though. Their system is a little weird to some of us in other countries....they have to register separately and they used to have to choose a party with which to register (even though they are not obligated to vote for the party with which they've registered).....I'm not sure if there are any states that still require a person to join a party to be eligible to vote.

There is NO state in the US that requires you to register with a party to vote and never has been. If you are a citizen of the USA age 18 or older, then you are automatically eligible to vote.

If I moved to the U.S I would NOT prefer to have a U.S passport, since my Swedish passport have more benefits. I wouldn't mind having two passports but I wouldn't give up my Swedish.

Given this post, it would seem unlikely you would move to U.S. I must have missed it if someone in h this thread suggested you move fom Sweden to U.S???

There is NO state in the US that requires you to register with a party to vote and never has been. If you are a citizen of the USA age 18 or older, then you are automatically eligible to vote.

Isn't there a restriction banning the ability to vote if a person is convicted felon? Or has that changed?

Edited by sail7seas

I've never had to register with a party affiliation either. I've lived in and registered to vote in both California and Nevada.

The countries listed in the current executive order signed by President Trump are the exact same counties listed in the executive order signed by President Obama in 2013, which suspended visas for individuals travelling to the U.S. from those countries. I believe the period President Obama set was for 6 months at that time.

According to a report I saw earlier, of approximately 330,000 people travelling to the U.S. this weekend, 130 were detained, vetted and released. This is according to Sean Spicer, Press Secretary for the Trump administration.

I've also heard reports that more countries may be added to the list at a later date based on intel.

My information is from an American friend of mine who I knew in university, which was over 30 years ago. She told me then that a person had to declare a party as part of registering to vote (but that does not mean just Dem or Rep) -- but we were in our early 20s and she wasn't a legal scholar! I personally have never tried to register to vote in the US, so I was taking her word for it.

According to a report I saw earlier, of approximately 330,000 people travelling to the U.S. this weekend, 130 were detained, vetted and released. This is according to Sean Spicer, Press Secretary for the Trump administration.

So.....it could be an "alternative fact" and not reality at all.

Even so, that's 130 people too many. How many were detained, vetted, and are still detained?

For those in Toronto I just heard that there will be a protest regarding this travel ban at the US consulate tomorrow morning. I believe that people are protesting that they/fellow Canadians affected by this ban are no longer allowed to enter the US at this time.

(Traffic is likely to be affected. They actually said that)

So.....it could be an "alternative fact" and not reality at all.

Even so, that's 130 people too many. How many were detained, vetted, and are still detained?

Oh of course it's is. What he didn't say is that many others were not permitted to board planes headed to the US and are stranded in other countries. West Jet and Air Canada had made statements to the news that they were not allowing those on the ban to board airplanes headed to the US)

Allure of the Seas returned this AM and at least one person onboard who is a green card holder was detained for a few hours.

I was wondering when we would here of a cruiser held. Hopefully they didn't miss their flight because of if.

Edited by Karysa

The actual areas of concern are specified on Page 2, section C:

"I hereby find that the immigrant and non-immigrant entry into the United States of aliens from countries designated pursuant to Division O, Title II, Section 203 of the 2016 consolidated Appropriations Act...would be detrimental to the interests of the United States, and I hereby suspend entry into the United States, as immigrants and nonimmigrants of such persons for 30 days from the date of this order."

In the 2016 consolidated Appropriations Act, Iraq and Syria are explicitly listed, Iran and Sudan are included as state sponsors of terrorism, and Libya, Somalia, and Yemen are in the “area of concern” as designated by the Department of Homeland Security. These are the ONLY countries citizens who cannot enter the US at this time and even so, this is only a 30 day suspension in order to give Homeland Security and the Dept. of Immigration time to put new processes in place.

The Canadian issue was not all Canadians. It was citizens of Canada and a country on the banned list only that were ORIGIONALLY on the not allowed into the US list. This was later changed and now (unless it's been changed again), all people holding Canadian passports can enter the US.