Any News on ship Passengers being detained?

Karysa

There is NO state in the US that requires you to register with a party to vote and never has been. If you are a citizen of the USA age 18 or older, then you are automatically eligible to vote.

To actually vote, on election day, it is true that you do not have to choose a party. But in many states when you first register as a voter in that state you have to choose a party so that you get only that party's ballot in the primary election. But then for the general election both parties names are on the ballot.

I'm amazed about how many americans that don't even know what their president are doing and what impacts it causes.

Such a statement should be queestioned. How to you know how much we know? and how mmany of us know how much? we are not supposed to give policital viiews here, according to CC rules. I fyou don't care to vistit, America, entirely your choice.......... dont'. :)

Does one value money, loss of business more than efforts to protect against terrorist atttacks in any way possible? there is no sure way to keep us safe from all terror attacks but as we apporeach April, ggain, we near the anannivversary of trhe Patriots Day Marthon bombings s, inVboston. people have suffered so terrbly ffrom horrid injjuries, loss of limbs and there sere deaths. I thhink most rational people would gladly give up rrestaurarant revnue, hotel rservations s in effort to make Ameicaa as safe as we can. i is thatg not the majjorr role of the government of all coungtries? The mostt IMPORTANT to to keep their coungtry andD CITIZENS SAFE IN AS MUCH AS IS POSSIB LE.

Edited by sail7seas

Does Trump play Baseball?

Any future trips to Europe will be made via the Far East. Even the Middle East is preferable to a stop over or refuelling in USA, as it is at the moment.

US isn't an island. Canada has airports and fuel but we are not problem free. Sadly we have had a terrible mass shooting tonight in a Mosque in Quebec. :mad:

To actually vote, on election day, it is true that you do not have to choose a party. But in many states when you first register as a voter in that state you have to choose a party so that you get only that party's ballot in the primary election. But then for the general election both parties names are on the ballot.

Yes, but you CAN choose any party you want (not just Democratic or Republican) or state that you are independent.

The Canadian issue was not all Canadians. It was citizens of Canada and a country on the banned list only that were ORIGIONALLY on the not allowed into the US list. This was later changed and now (unless it's been changed again), all people holding Canadian passports can enter the US.

Karysa, US immigration goes by the passport you present to them. They would have no way of knowing if someone were a dual citizen unless they inexplicably handed over both passports - which hopefully most dual citizens know not to do. In general, a dual citizen uses the passport which is most expedient for the country which they are entering and does not present their other passport at all.

Such a statement should be queestioned. How to you know how much we know? and how mmany of us know how much? we are not supposed to give policital viiews here, according to CC rules. I fyou don't care to vistit, America, entirely your choice.......... dont'. :)

Does one value money, loss of business more than efforts to protect against terrorist atttacks in any way possible? there is no sure way to keep us safe from all terror attacks but as we apporeach April, ggain, we near the anannivversary of trhe Patriots Day Marthon bombings s, inVboston. people have suffered so terrbly ffrom horrid injjuries, loss of limbs and there sere deaths. I thhink most rational people would gladly give up rrestaurarant revnue, hotel rservations s in effort to make Ameicaa as safe as we can. i is thatg not the majjorr role of the government of all coungtries? The mostt IMPORTANT to to keep their coungtry andD CITIZENS SAFE IN AS MUCH AS IS POSSIB LE.

US gun control

1,000 mass shootings in 1,260 days: this is what America's gun crisis looks like

Sunday’s attack on the Pulse nightclub in Orlando, Florida was the deadliest mass shooting in American history – but there were five other mass shootings in the US during that weekend alone.

“We have a pattern now of mass shootings in this country that has no parallel anywhere else in the world,” Barack Obama said after the San Bernardino attack in December 2015.

Data compiled by the Gun Violence Archive reveals a shocking human toll: there is a mass shooting – defined as four or more people shot in one incident, not including the shooter – on five out of every six days, on average. (Updated on 13 June 2016)

US mass shootings becoming more frequent – and more deadly

This is the crux of the matter.

If every terrorist was stopped from entering the USA, would that be the end to all these senseless deaths?

Do you really wish to sit on the tarmac in Iraq, Syria, Iran, Sudan, Libya, Somalia or Yemen? Go you then.

Unnecessary. There are other airports that are commonly used on long haul flights. I'm specifically reminded if Dubai. Given the choice right now, I don't blame the PP for choosing that direction. However, if the PP still wanted to travel over North America, they might want to consider Vancouver or Toronto connections to avoid the US.

There is no need for anyone to try to sneak into the USA on a cruise ship. There are far easier options.

There are currently 7 official border crossings between Canada and the USA, where anyone

Stewart, British Columbia to Alaska. There is a sign informing you that you are entering the USA, but no instruction as to what you should do about it. There are no US officials at this crossing.

r.

Have you gone through the border crossing at Stewart. I do not know how it is now but I did it about 7 years ago. The town on the American side of the border is Hyder AK. At that time, there was a border station on both sides (US and Canadian) sides of the border. Interestingly enough, the people in the Canadian post asked me more questions when I returned to Canada than the Americans asked when I went from Canadian Stewart to American Hyder.

One problem however is that once you get into American Hyder where do you go from there. There are no roads from Hyder leading to anyplace except back to Canadian Stewart. You would have to get a boat somewhere in Hyder and go a very long distance to someplace in the lower 48 before you can get to the American mainland.

Not very practical in my opinion.

You also missed at least one that would be much more practical. If you drive from Haines Junction in the Yukon Territory to Haines AK, the border crossings are only open from 7:00 AM to about midnight according to this FAQ from the Haines Community Web Site - "Q: What are the hours for the border? A: The USA border post is currently open 0700-2300 AST. The Canada border is open from 8 am to midnight. More details are available. We recommend calling ahead if there are any questions." Since I doubt that they close the road between midnight and 7:00 AM, just fly into Canada and rent a car and drive to Haines.

I am sure there are other places where you can do the same thing. So you are basically right although you have several details wrong.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

Point taken.

However, those first generation immigrants came here and stayed.

Most did not travel back and forth to their native countries.

If they did. I would think they would prefer to have the blue book.

Given this post, it would seem unlikely you would move to U.S. I must have missed it if someone in h this thread suggested you move fom Sweden to U.S???

The first quote above indicates that poster's belief that anyone who became a resident of the US would naturally prefer to have the benefit of a US passport (the "blue book"). Kim is stating that if she became a resident of the US that she would not give up her Swedish passport, and would likely remain a green card resident alien instead.

Karysa, US immigration goes by the passport you present to them. They would have no way of knowing if someone were a dual citizen unless they inexplicably handed over both passports - which hopefully most dual citizens know not to do. In general, a dual citizen uses the passport which is most expedient for the country which they are entering and does not present their other passport at all.

LOL.....do you think they don't have computers and RFID chip readers? That they have no information at all about someone other than the paper they present? Maybe you think they don't share information with other departments, organizations, and even other governments?

Do you really wish to sit on the tarmac in Iraq, Syria, Iran, Sudan, Libya, Somalia or Yemen? Go you then.

Huh? That makes no sense to me. Why would a trip from NZ to Europe stop there, when it could stop and transfer at larger, better served Middle Eastern airports (like Dubai, or even Tel Aviv)? Although it is far more likely that a trip from NZ to Europe would travel via the Far East or South East Asia. From her NZ home, it makes much more sense to fly east to Europe and not transfer in the US than it does to travel west and have to go through a US airport. I would do the same thing.

After it at the moment affects people it will be interesting to see how it will affect the cruise lines in the mid and long term run. Even though my ESTA is still valid for the rest of the year I wouldn't book any vacation going through the US after the recent events. Who knows what other instant changes there will be made giving me unnecessary trouble.

For the same reason I've put all my US travel plans on hold. I do not like the changes and strongly believe that others than micm and myself is waiting to see what is happening, before the next US holiday or cruise from US port.

I'm not familiar with other passports but Canadian passports have your place of birth noted. So if you were born in Orlando, FL that would be apparent to the customs/immigration officer by looking at your Canadian passport if you used it while entering the US. At that point they would not know if you are still a US citizen but it may provoke questions now that never would have come up IMO prior to earlier this month. Do you think that most US-Canadian duel citizens have and use both countries passports? On here you read about people who don't have a US passport and they could get hit by a medical emergency somewhere like Dominica and have to make their way back to the US.

Correct, any individual convicted of a felon can not legally vote.

This is not necessarily true, the laws vary from state to state. Just because a person is convicted of a felony at one time in their life does not mean they can never vote again. Their are procedures for them to have their rights restored after they have served their punishments, and in some states they may never lose their right on a first felony conviction.

You really should stop providing incorrect information. US passports list the place of birth on the information page. If you are a US citizen born over seas, it is going to show your place of birth, which could be a red flag if it happens to be in one of the banned countries.

You really should stop providing incorrect information. US passports list the place of birth on the information page. If you are a US citizen born over seas, it is going to show your place of birth, which could be a red flag if it happens to be in one of the banned countries.

Even a US citizen carrying a US passport will be questioned if they were simply born in a country that is on the banned list? Have I missed this? So a 70 year old US citizen who was born in one of the 7 banned countries who has been a US citizen for say 40 years could be red flagged by simply coming bac from visiting their sister who lives in that banned country? Am I interpreting your comments correctly?

For the same reason I've put all my US travel plans on hold. I do not like the changes and strongly believe that others than micm and myself is waiting to see what is happening, before the next US holiday or cruise from US port.

I too would not travel to OR transit through the US for the foreseeable future. Was thinking of a Caribbean cruise next year may well change my plans.

US gun control

1,000 mass shootings in 1,260 days: this is what America's gun crisis looks like

Sunday’s attack on the Pulse nightclub in Orlando, Florida was the deadliest mass shooting in American history – but there were five other mass shootings in the US during that weekend alone.

“We have a pattern now of mass shootings in this country that has no parallel anywhere else in the world,” Barack Obama said after the San Bernardino attack in December 2015.

Data compiled by the Gun Violence Archive reveals a shocking human toll: there is a mass shooting – defined as four or more people shot in one incident, not including the shooter – on five out of every six days, on average. (Updated on 13 June 2016)

US mass shootings becoming more frequent – and more deadly

This is the crux of the matter.

If every terrorist was stopped from entering the USA, would that be the end to all these senseless deaths?

Well it may have stopped the San Bernadino shootings. The woman shooter entered the USA on a fiance visa.

Edited by CruisingAlong4Now

I too would not travel to OR transit through the US for the foreseeable future. Was thinking of a Caribbean cruise next year may well change

This is getting way too political for my taste. . Anyone who does not wish to enter,, U.S., fine,,,,,,,, don't There seem to be many people struggling hard to come here.

Edited by sail7seas

Well it may have stopped the San Bernadino shootings. The woman shooter entered the USA on a fiance visa.

Misinformation. That woman you mention in relation to the San Bernadino shootings (did she actually do the shooting?) anyways, she was NOT from one of the 7 banned countries.

Edited by Karysa
changed , to .